Affordable over the knee boots for narrow legs

cute fall outfits with boots petite fashion blog

Express sweater xxs  (now available in petites!) on sale!, J.Brand cropped jeans sz 24, Charles David boots sz 5 (also available in wide calf), TDE box purse, TL sunglasses, Hermes belt

If you’re looking for over-the-knee boots on a budget, these Charles by Charles David “Gunter” boots that I got last year are now available again in all sizes! You can also see them on me here, plus I wore them here for tons of walking around Europe. Even though I love my Stuart Weitzman boots, I still reach for these Gunter ones quite a bit! The almond toe shape is very flattering, and I like the slight boost from the 1.5″ block heel (higher than SW Lowlands). I would say they’re a great alternative for the Lowlands (read my review) for 1 / 8th of the price, but with boots, you do get what you pay for in terms of materials.

Over The Knee Boots on a Budget

If you have narrow legs, one of the best features of Stuart Weitzman boots in my opinion is how snugly the stretch suede material fits and stays up on the leg. Faux suede boots on the other hand are usually made of a thinner fabric, which don’t compress as much and slide down more easily as a result. My Gunter boots in faux suede measure narrower than most options I’ve found (sz 5 is 12.25″ around the calves when un-stretched). They stay on pretty well for me over jeans and socks, but less so with bare legs – I’d recommend wearing either thicker over-the-knee socks or leg warmers underneath to provide some traction! If you’re in between half sizes, I’d go with the smaller size.

As another alternative, the slimmest faux suede tall boot I’ve found is still the Sole Society Ravenna which was very snug on my legs and fits true to size in the foot. Nordstrom just got this stocked starting in sz 5, but the “mushroom” color online is a little off. See the same color on SS’s website, for reference!

off shoulder cable sweater cozy fall fashion

charles david over the knee boots for petite women shorter legs

Cozy Chenille Sweater

I first blogged about this Express chenille sweater back in this post, and have reached for it so many times since! The balloon sleeves subtly elevate it from a basic piece. The added volume in that area is very on-trend, but it isn’t to big that it won’t fit under jacket sleeves. The fit is oversized by design so I took an XXS (this size is still available right now in the maroon or pink). I usually style mine off one shoulder, but here’s how it looks worn normally:

casual fall outfit ideas with tall boots for petites

28 thoughts on “Affordable over the knee boots for narrow legs

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm

I could never find over the knee boots that fitted me – usually they are waaay too wide and big for my narrow legs. That’s why I love your recommendations as always. Thank you 🙂

• Reply Rena October 30, 2017 at 3:51 am

Your look with the over the knee boots is simply perfect!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Mijia October 30, 2017 at 5:25 am

Dear Jean,

Thanks for this post. I am looking for exactly such a pair!
    I have Stuart Weiztman lowland in size 4.5M and it fits me well. I see this one only goes down to size 5. Could you comment on the size a bit? Does it run bigger or smaller than Stuart Weiztman lowland ?

Thank you.
    Mijia

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 1, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Hi Mijia! I find that SW Lowland boots run a little big in the foot area. I am usually a size 5 or 5.5 in most brands, but took size 5 in the Lowlands and still have plenty of room for thick socks. In comparison, I take sz 5.5 in the Highlands and it’s a snug fit with socks on!

The DSW ones fit similarly as the Lowlands in the foot area, but notably looser in the shaft because of the faux suede fabric instead of real suede. I have size 5 with room for socks.

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses October 30, 2017 at 5:51 am

I love your outfit Jean! These colours are perfect for Autumn too! They’re so nice!

I hope you’re having a great Monday,
    Michael

• Reply Mireia October 30, 2017 at 6:18 am

Absolutely love it!

• Reply Ray October 30, 2017 at 6:43 am

Lovely post!

• Reply Rachelle October 30, 2017 at 6:45 am

In love with your sweater and belt.

xo
    Pinksole

• Reply Neeltje | Thoughts in Style October 30, 2017 at 8:24 am

Love these boots! X

• Reply Shannon Mahaney October 30, 2017 at 10:12 am

I’ve been dying to have a pair of OTK boots for years now but I have very skinny legs. I will have to try these boots out and see if they’d fit me!

• Reply Ana October 30, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Hi Jean!
    Every time I see you using flats I get so curious about how you deal with your height. Im as short as you (maybe a bit shorter even) and I just don’t feel comfortable with my height whenever I wear flats or snickers, but I wanna get over this “trauma”. I love looks that goes with flats but I pretty much NEVER use. Any tips to get over with that sillyness?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 1, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Hi Ana! It took me a while to embrace my body type, but honestly I’ve learned that almost no one else is obsessing over or critiquing your height EXCEPT for yourself. We are our own worst critic, so the sooner you can learn to be comfortable in your own body and look on the positive side (there are so many more unfortunate things than being short!), the sooner you can let your personality shine above your height! xx

• Reply Jandrew October 30, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Just love this chunky knit sweater great look darling. Fall is all about knits and boots ! Great post! Visit me this fall check out my blog and leave a comment!
    Jandrew
    Dress The Part
    http:www.jandrewspeaks.com

• Reply Samantha October 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm

I love this look! My BFF is very petite, I’m going to show her this post since she’s always hunting for a good boot.
    lattes-andlonglines.com

• Reply Helen October 30, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Those over-the-knee boots are so cute and I like how affordable they are. Thanks for the tips on how to wear them. Also, I’m absolutely in love with the color of that sweater.

-Helen

• Reply Elizabeth October 30, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Thank you so much for sharing all of these great OTK boot recommendations! 🙂 <3 Definitely super helpful! Loving the way you styled them with that chunky knit sweater! Super cozy, yet chic!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Sincerely Ophelia October 30, 2017 at 11:11 pm

These look perfect and comfortable! Love your sweater. The Hermes belt is always a lovely plus!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA

• Reply Petite Teacher October 31, 2017 at 1:04 pm

I am in love with that sweater. With wintertime and Halloween in the same week, I suddenly feel like wearing sweaters a lot. I love the regular look more, mostly from a practical point of view. As a teacher I am not a huge fan of off-shoulder outfits. Too much exposure. On you, it looks fabulous as all your outfits do. Happy Halloween. Love, Lieske

• Reply Stacey October 31, 2017 at 3:42 pm

I am always worried about trying OTK boots because I am shorter, but these look great on you and definitely don’t make you look any shorter.

xoxo
    Stacey
    @stylingsofstacey | http://staceylyynn.wixsite.com/stylingsofstacey

• Reply Maureen October 31, 2017 at 9:40 pm

This is an amazing look Jean! I love your sweater and it really looks good on you. I have OTK on my wish list and will have to try these ones that you pointed out. Wish me luck!

• Reply Farrah November 1, 2017 at 12:48 am

Those boots are absolutely adorable! I’ve been wanting to get a pair of OTK boots, so definitely gonna have to check these out!

• Reply Em November 1, 2017 at 3:39 pm

These are great! Big fan of the price 🙂 Also, those sleeves look so cozy, which is definitely a huge plus

• Reply Em November 1, 2017 at 3:40 pm

• Reply Dolce Petite November 1, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Jean, I love the look you created with that cozy knit sweater and those otk boots. I really want to try a similar look now!

xx,
    Jasmin

• Reply Ann Nelson November 1, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Well when I click on the link for the boots they don’t offer a size 5 only a 5.5. Do you get different merchandise where you live or does the company only make 1 pair & they give them to you?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 1, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Hi Ann – Which boots? If you mean the Charles by Charles David boots at DSW, they were available yesterday in size 5, however I heard from dozens of ladies since then who said they purchased that size (small sizes always go fast). I still see size 5.5 available online in both black and taupe, though!

• Reply Mizeats November 3, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Beautiful casual outfit! I especially love the sweater and the OTK boots!

• Reply Ella Stefoglo November 15, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Hello Jean,
    First off, I’d like to tell that I absolutely love your blog. It has been so helpful for me in styling and buying steals.
    I just recently bought the Stuarts in the lowland style, i think they’re wonderful. Only problem I have with those boots is the tie knot in the back of the boot drives me crazy. How do you hide it? Any tips?

Regards,