Fall work outfit // Camel wool skirt + bell sleeve top

black petite top hermes belt pencil skirt dressy fall outfit

Express top xxs petite (also in regular), J.Crew pencil skirt 000 petite (factory version), Halogen pumps (similar), Tory Burch bag (on sale!), Blank NYC jacket xs, Ray-Ban sunglasses in matte gold, Hermes belt (similar)

Camel with black is always classic, but I especially love it for a fall work outfit. I threw this on in a rush, and like how the simple color scheme allows the silhouette of each piece to stand out. The juxtaposition of the dramatic ruffles with a tailored pencil skirt and sleek printed pumps, results in an office look that’s a little more fashion-forward. It also goes easily with opaque black tights for our long (dreaded) winters!

It’s hard to tell in photos, but this bell sleeve top from Express petites has a stretchy, textured material. It feels comfortable like a tee, but the thickness gives the puffed sleeves more structure and fullness. The sleeves will form a slight lump if you wear a fitted layer over it, so as a trick, I found that folding the ruffled part back onto my shoulders before putting on a jacket makes it much easier! That way, the ruffles underneath just look act as a little shoulder padding. Note this top runs on the short side in petites, so try regular sizing if you have a longer torso.

Side note – I know several of you were interested in my ruffled swing dress from this blog post, but sizes were sold out. I just saw Express brought it back in a new dark gray color, with a full range of petite sizes! Check it out during the current dress sale before sizes are gone again!

what to wear to work fall outfits stylish office fashion
Last year when J.Crew added more extended sizes (and a rainbow of colors) for their No. 2 wool pencil skirt, I happily snatched it up in three colors! Sadly it seems like they’re no longer making 000 petite (or it’s always sold out), so it’s back to altering all pencil skirts. If you’re looking for a wool pencil skirt in a classic camel color, J.Crew Factory has one that looks very similar to mine at a good price.

business casual work outfit professional office style fashion
As a quick sale note, my Tory Burch bag is 25% off w/ SAVEMORE through 10/22! I’ve been happy with this small Parker tote as a lightweight, everyday purse for trucking my laptop, heels, and snacks around. You can see more photos of it in this blog post.

black leather jacket classic petite fashion

52 thoughts on “Fall work outfit // Camel wool skirt + bell sleeve top

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 17, 2017 at 1:07 pm

I love your skirt, and your belt. So chic!

• Reply Anonymous October 17, 2017 at 1:16 pm

This may be a silly question..but how do you stuff the sleeves of that top into the leather jacket?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 17, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I wrote about it in the blog post! Second paragraph : )

• Reply Liz - Shopping My Closet October 17, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Love this look!

• Reply Petite Teacher October 17, 2017 at 2:11 pm

What an amazing top, simple and stylish in one. I totally love it. It can be worn on skirts, but even if I would opt for a pair of jeans in my classroom, I can create a classy look by adding a top like this and a pair of comfortable ankle boots for example. Fantastic! As a teacher I love to dress comfortably and stylish at the same time; both being equally important to me. Thanks so much for showing this wonderful bell sleeve top on your blog. Have a great week. Love, Lieske

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Thank you Lieske for all of your lovely comments! xx

• Reply Mary | O Blog da Mary October 17, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Love love love this! The belt makes all the difference, and the shoes are just so classic and chic, great styling!

Mary | O Blog da Mary

• Reply The pink pineapple October 17, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Beautiful blouse,I loved

• Reply Sincerely Ophelia October 18, 2017 at 12:07 am

Oooo Love this look! It’s simple, clean and elegant!

• Reply Kimberly Hsieh October 18, 2017 at 12:17 am

I absolutely love this neutral look! That belt pulls it all together 🙂

• Reply Elizabeth October 18, 2017 at 1:38 am

Loving this super polished look so much, especially that skirt! <3 🙂 Super cute!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Marjorie October 18, 2017 at 2:07 am

Simple and stylish. It couldn’t be better!
    xx

• Reply Shelley October 18, 2017 at 6:10 am

I also have this top in black. I loved it so much that I also bought it in a fushia color. I love your classic yet fashion-forward look. My first blog reading of the day!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2017 at 10:14 pm

That made my day! Thanks for the kind words, Shelley : )

• Reply Michela October 18, 2017 at 7:24 am

i lve this outfit so much!
    miki

• Reply Neeltje | Thoughts in Style October 18, 2017 at 7:31 am

Such a classy look! I really like it. X

• Reply Tara Watson October 18, 2017 at 8:09 am

Great office look! What lip color are you wearing? So flattering!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Thanks, Tara! It’s Lolita by Kat Von D

• Reply Grace October 18, 2017 at 8:36 am

Beautiful outfit. I wonder if you would consider doing a post styling a black skirt several different ways. Maybe a black leather pencil skirt also, Talbots has a nice one right now.

• Reply Phoebe October 18, 2017 at 9:17 am

Love your hair in a ponytail!

• Reply Carmen October 18, 2017 at 9:21 am

Always love your outfits Jean <3
    Could you please share how you could keep the belt stay in place and not sliding up and down?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Thank you, Carmen! I usually have an issue with belts shifting, but not here because the belt is flat and wide, and the skirt has a defined waistband area where the belt happens to sit securely on. With skinnier belts, I sometimes use double sided fashion tape, or if it’s really skinny I’ll loop a safety pin around at both sides as a fake “belt loop” to secure the belt down.

• Reply Shloka October 18, 2017 at 9:41 am

I love that top! The bell sleeves are such a chic addition and the colour combo is fabulous!

x
    Shloka

• Reply Mizeats October 18, 2017 at 9:54 am

Looking classy and stylish as always! Love your sleeves tip!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Thank you, hon! xx

• Reply sue October 18, 2017 at 11:42 am

hi jean, does the tory burch parker small tote’s straps feel like they will break/wear if the bag is filled with heavier items ? also, what size is the laptop you tote around?

• Reply sue October 18, 2017 at 11:43 am

heavier items like a 32 oz water bottle (thirsty person here!)

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Hi Sue! My laptop outer measurement is 12″ x 7.5.” (I can’t go by the usual diagonal screen measurement because there’s something weird about my screen). The straps are thin so honestly I can’t speak to how it will feel with a 32oz bottle in it, but I do carry a decent amount and the straps haven’t bothered me (yet)!

• Reply Jennifer October 18, 2017 at 11:53 am

When you tuck your blouse into your skirt, how do you get it to look so flat and smooth? Whenever I do, it’s super bulky around the waist and hip (so unflattering!). Thanks <3

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Hi Jennifer – it only really smooths out for me when the skirt is thick and lined. This one is a thick wool one with lining, so is great for tucking!

• Reply Mei October 18, 2017 at 12:25 pm

I like how the camel wool skirt gets a little edge from the leather jacket especially since I feel the skirt can get too formal for me. The leopard pumps spices it up as well!

• Reply Laura October 18, 2017 at 3:31 pm

That looks like a great work bag – is the one you are carrying actually the “small” Parker Leather Tote or is it the regular size (large) one? The bag in your photographs looks quite large.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Hi Laura! Yes it is the Small … the regular size is very generously sized against a petite frame.

• Reply Jessica | PetiteStyleScript October 18, 2017 at 9:10 pm

I love this outfit for work Jean! I also have this belt and it’s so versatile and classic 🙂

• Reply Jenny John October 19, 2017 at 8:44 am

I loved it <3
    SO Stylish and classy. The overall look is just perfect. The shoe is the addition to it, just loved it!!!!

• Reply Jenna at Boston Chic Party October 19, 2017 at 10:35 am

This is the perfect fall office look! I need a camel skirt!
    xoxo, Jenna
    Bostonchicparty.com

• Reply Tennile October 20, 2017 at 1:54 am

I just love your blog. I love how you really give a lot of details with each piece of clothing. It really helps me when I’m making my purchases. Keep doing what you’re doing. Because of you my style has improved. P.S. I just bought some clothes using the links from your other posts. Thanks so much.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 20, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Hi Tennile – Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement … that means a lot to me to hear! I’m happy to help via the little ways : ) xx

• Reply Malak October 20, 2017 at 1:30 pm

You are the BESET DRESSED person I have ever seen!! LOVE your style! Question about the belt. Talbots no longer carries the black belt in a small. Do you have any recommendations for something similar anywhere else?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 20, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Aw thank you!! I’ve looked high and low for belts in that style and it’s very hard to find. I know Ferragamo makes one but it’s in the hundreds. I think your best bet is to still get the Talbots in a larger size and have a cobbler cut off extra tail length and punch new holes. (my cobbler charges about $15 – $20 for this service)

• Reply Florence October 20, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Love this! Would you be able to tell me what color highlights you get? Your hair always looks so great! Thanks!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 20, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Thank you, Florence! I ask for highlights in a cool, medium brown tone. My hairdresser never tells me the color she ends up putting in since it differs. I just make sure to specify cooler toned instead of warm, since a warm brown can come out brassy on my dark hair.

• Reply Florence October 23, 2017 at 9:46 am

Thank you so much! Mine always seem brassy so I’m definitely going to ask for cooler toned.

• Reply Lindsay October 20, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Very very random – but have you ever thought about any of those cute work backpack? I see them around (Everlane etc.), and have considered one, but have not pulled the trigger on anything. Just wondering, because your reviews are so spot on of bags, and I would love to know your thoughts!

• Reply Liana Ekawati October 21, 2017 at 11:57 pm

That belt is cute. Love it girl.

• Reply Jeannie October 22, 2017 at 11:52 am

Did you shorten the sleeves on the faux leather jacket??

• Reply Lisa October 22, 2017 at 1:29 pm

That final photo is badass – no smile and looking into the camera. And the clothes are great too. Thanks for all of the wonderful advise.

• Reply Rosemary October 22, 2017 at 4:58 pm

I love the leather jacket! Can you give a short review of it. Should I be hesitant of the shoulder pads? It looks great on you.

• Reply Lovely Links: 11/10/17 - Already Pretty | Where style meets body image November 10, 2017 at 8:53 am

[…] Jean puts new twists on old classics, combining a camel pencil skirt and leather jacket with a bell-sleeve top. […]