Fall wardrobe staple: the poncho sweater (4 options for petites)

Ahh, poncho season is finally here! These cozy, oversized sweaters instantly up the polished factor when thrown over the simplest base outfits (like leggings + a tee). The key for petite ladies to pull off these roomier knits is in the proportions. I avoid too much bulk material-wise, and like to keep the length above my upper thighs. Below are four poncho sweater options under $100 that should work on shorter ladies!

cute fall outfits for petite women white jeans poncho sweater

gray knit poncho sweater review maison jules macys

Maison Jules poncho XS (2 colors), J.Brand cropped jeans sz 24 (on sale!), Ann Taylor bow pumps sz 5 c/o

1. Maison Jules poncho w/ faux suede shoulders (2 colors)

I’ll start with this popular one above from last year (read my review)! It comes in two neutral colors, in a medium weight knit material. I’m trying on the current year version above, and confirm the fit and feel are the same as before!

calbe knit poncho cape sweater fall fashion outfit ideas
maison jules poncho sweater macys review

2. Maison Jules cable poncho (3 colors)

Another cute option from Maison Jules – this is the most similar sweater I can find to my beloved older Anthropologie poncho. It’s a heavier knit and will keep you warm on breezy Fall days. Note that the style of both Maison Jules ponchos (and my Anthro one) had little “sleeves” attached to the curved bottom hem of the sweater. When you lift your arms up high, the sweater hem will lift with it, and you won’t be able to wear a normal coat with sleeves over it (I usually wear a cape coat or just let the poncho be the outer layer). I was surprised to see poor online reviews due to these features, since they are pretty typical of most poncho sweaters I’ve tried on!

affordable karen scott short poncho sweater ankle boot outfits

karen scott poncho sweater review macys petites

3. Karen Scott cable poncho sweater (4 colors)

If you want greater range of arm movement, this sweater has larger slots for your arms to go through instead of the little sleeves. Compared to the Maison Jules ponchos, the knit on this one is a looser acrylic. It doesn’t feel as nice nor as thick, but is a good option for those looking for something lighter-weight and on a budget. The listing says to size down, but there’s only two sizes to choose from, and I didn’t think it ran big for a poncho-style design.

cute fall outfit ideas poncho cape sweater for petite women

casual fall style outfits poncho cape sweater review

Karen Scott sweater sz S/M in gull marl, DL1961 jeans sz 23, hemmed (similar on sale, with no hemming needed), Sole Society heels (similar high heel, or similar w/ lower heel), Prada saffiano cuir bag, Quay sunglasses

4. Karen Scott cape sweater (4 colors)

This one is actually my Mom’s (she’s 5’2″)! Compared to the three options above, you can tell the overall shape is rectangular instead of circular. It’s more of a cape-style sweater because there are no defined armholes. This is a great piece to just throw on over a leggings or jeans, for that quick but polished Fall outfit. When worn with leggings, you can rotate the poncho positioning so that the longest triangle part can cover your crotch and tush. If you want it to appear a little shorter in length, then you can rotate it asymmetrically like I did above. The listing for this also says to size down, but I thought the S/M fit true to size!

Which of these ponchos were your favorite? : )

32 thoughts on “Fall wardrobe staple: the poncho sweater (4 options for petites)

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 3, 2017 at 2:19 am

As a petitte girl myself, I’ve never tried rocking a poncho. It’s always seemed so difficult for my small build! You look really good in one though!

Charmaine Ng

• Reply Rachelle October 3, 2017 at 5:56 am

you rock the poncho so well, love the white jeans look.

xo
    Pinksole

• Reply Enn Franco October 3, 2017 at 7:17 am

Dear you are so cute! Love your heels!

• Reply Ann October 3, 2017 at 10:49 am

Thank you for the great ideas!!

• Reply Petite Teacher October 3, 2017 at 11:28 am

They all look comfortable and cosy. I personally favour the first one. I think it is the least ‘bulky’ one of all and I love the different patterns. What I also love about all of them is the short arm length. That is a great bonus for petites, isn’t it? I slowly get into the mood for (poncho) sweaters because of the changes in temperature. I mostly wear them in the weekend, since they are often too warm for in the classroom. Thanks for your inspiration. Love, Lieske

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses October 3, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Those ponchos look so comfy and chic! They’re so versatile too for layering and mixing and matching, I love the look of them!

I hope you’re having an awesome Tuesday,
    Michael

• Reply jessi October 3, 2017 at 9:53 pm

You are rocking that poncho! Looks so cute on you!!

xoxo
    Jessi

• Reply Sarah Lilly October 3, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Ponchos are such a fun and stylish piece to wear during the colder months. I love the ones you chose – they are all so flattering, especially the Maison Jules one. The suede detail is gorgeous!

Sarah Lilly || The Lilly Mint Blog

• Reply Sincerely Ophelia October 3, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Love your poncho sweaters! They look so so warm!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA

• Reply The pink pineapple October 3, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Beauiful outfit!

• Reply Jen Chae October 3, 2017 at 10:53 pm

#2 is the one I picked up! Wore it today, actually. I love how cozy it is!!!

• Reply Confused October 3, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Hi, do you think circular ponchos with no sleeve holes will look ok on petites? There’s this nice cashmere cap from the Ines Fall collection 2017 from Uniqlo that looks so cute. Just wondering if it will overwhelm a petite figure or if it’s hard to style. Cant find many pictures of such ponchos online to get ideas on style.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 5, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Yes, I don’t think there’s any rules on whether sleeve holes or no sleeve holes are a must for a petite frame! As long as the overall length and volume of the poncho isn’t overwhelming on your body type. Unfortunately I haven’t had luck before at Uniqlo because their one size fits all accessories and pieces usually fall very long on me.

• Reply Beata October 16, 2017 at 12:52 am

Jean: It is easy to knit a poncho yourself. Knit simple is a good source. Their design are easy to follow and look great with more expensive yarn.

• Reply Elizabeth October 4, 2017 at 1:23 am

Ponchos are so fun to wear during the cooler months 🙂 Loving all of these chic ones that you’ve rounded up! And the color palette is just amazing <3 Always love softer colors for the cooler months!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply KiwiFromNYC October 4, 2017 at 6:05 am

I’ve been following you since the beginning, love your style so much! Please do more videos, I miss those so much. Video idea, hair tutorial for wavy/curled pony tail seen from this and recent posts. I know you say it’s simple and easy but I just love watching you show us how to do it!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 5, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Hi there ~ thank you so much for your sweet comment! I will try my best with the video. My next video to be uploaded this month (just finishing some edits) is my everyday hair curling process, and I literally just pulled it back from there to form the ponytail : )

• Reply Margaret Miller October 4, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I ordered the first one and the last one shown. I can’t wait to try them out. Thanks for the great post.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 5, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Hi Margaret ~ let me know what you think! They’re pretty different in terms of shape, but both are very cute so I hope one will work out for you!

• Reply Gwen Kennedy October 4, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Hi Jean! Happy fall! Great feature on the Express Petite’s homepage! 🙂 – Gwen K.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 5, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Thank you, Gwen!! Hope you’ve been well! The weather here can’t seem to decide if we want Summer or Fall : )

• Reply Valeri Pighini October 4, 2017 at 4:10 pm

I just bought the Karen Scott sweater poncho in Gull Marl and I really like it. It’s not too light and it’s just heavy enough. I mostly like my neck to be warm as the weather is really beginning to get cold here in Boise. Even though I’m only 5’0″ myself, I feel like it’s a flattering look for me and it gives me the warmth without adding a lot of bulk. Thank you Jean.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 5, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Hi Valeri – I’m so happy to hear that worked out for you! I agree about the Karen Scott ponchos ~ even though they are regular sizing, they are surprising flattering on shorter frames as well!

• Reply Debbie October 4, 2017 at 4:41 pm

I bought 3 of the 4! Didn’t get the third one because the quality looked cheap in the picture. I hope I don’t love all 3 (I know I like the first one already because I found it and tried in on at my local Macys) because my wallet will cry if I do! 🙂

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 5, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Hi Debbie ~ yes, #3 in my opinion has the most lackluster fabric of the bunch, however it seems from the reviews that plenty of other shoppers were pleased with it! Please keep me posted on what you think of the other three! : )

• Reply Mary B. October 5, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Based on your post from last fall I purchased the Mason Jules poncho in Beige and it is favorite fall sweater. I wore it with a long-sleeved white shirt underneath for engagement photos earlier this week and it was the perfect selection! Was comfy, versatile, and fits my 4’10 frame beautifully.

• Reply AC October 5, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Hi Jean, what is your favorite under the poncho, tank top, t-shirt?
    Thanks!

• Reply Amy Tsang October 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm

I’m 3 months pregnant and petite as always. Do you think this poncho look would work well on a petite, pregnant lady?

• Reply Dolce Petite October 14, 2017 at 5:56 am

I adore how you style lighter colours in the falltime! It’s gorgeous!
    xx,
    Jasmin

• Reply Jessica October 20, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Love the outfits and your style. You always look so put together. I was looking at getting the second Maison Jules but didn’t see it in xxs. Did you order online or at store? I didn’t know if maybe in store had the xxs since I don’t see it online. Thanks.