• Apple picking season (& an easy, delicious pie recipe!)

fall outfit ideas olive green suspender skirt urban outfitters petite

BDG suspender skirt sz XS, Ann Taylor striped tee (similar tee starting in xxs), Sperry boat shoes sz 5(similar), Urban Outfitters sunglasses (style name “Good Evening”)

Apologies for being MIA on the blog this week! I’ve been a busy bee working on new YouTube content, including an updated hair tutorial, a video on interview attire, and a fun foodie tour for next month! Fall is also the season of constant visitors in our home. We love showing our friends what New England has to offer, and what better way than a visit to the orchards for fresh cider donuts and apple picking?

boston fall engagement photo ideas apple picking orchard
    I have to say, shopping at Urban Outfitters has been a nice surprise this year! Much of their stuff is too young or hip for me, but the few finds I do have are petite-friendly and adorable (i.e. this button-down midi and this striped dress, which layers nicely). I can see this BDG suspender skirt worn over either a simple tee, or pullover knits or turtlenecks when the weather cools. It’s 100% cotton (unlined) with functional pockets, and the straps can be adjusted in length via the front buttons. To “convert” this into a more versatile, regular skirt, simply tuck the suspender straps in at the waist!

Measurements of sz XS: 13″ across the waist (you can tighten this with the sash tie), 16″ skirt length, 12.75″ suspender length from the waistline to the top of the shoulder, at the shortest setting. Contrary to the one online review, I have a pretty short torso and did not find the straps to be too long. Strap length might change a bit with each size, though.

boston apple picking orchard what to wear

parlee farms boston apple orchard

Apple Picking – Where to go

These photos were taken at our new favorite Parlee Farms (see my recent post), but other apple picking regulars for us in the greater Boston area include: Nashoba Winery (apples are a bonus here second to wine tasting), Honeypot Hill (go for the crisp pears!), and the vast Tougas Farms.
    cute fall apple picking outfit extra petite fashion blog
    what to do in boston fall activities apple picking

Apple Picking – What to make

Our kitchen has been smelling SO good with all the treats made from our orchard hauls. If you’re looking for an easy recipe to highlight your fresh apples, this yummy pie filling below was one of the quickest I’ve ever whipped together. I like to use less sugar than most recipes, and you won’t miss the butter.

By using store-bought refrigerated pie crust (usually sold next to the refrigerated croissant dough tubes) and just roughly peeling the apples, this took me only 20 minutes to get into the oven, and made for some very happy friends + husband. I only have a “before” baking photo, since it didn’t last long enough for me to take an “after!” Please let me know if you give it a try!

quick easy apple pie filling recipe

23 thoughts on “Apple picking season (& an easy, delicious pie recipe!)

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog September 16, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Argh, your outfit is the cutest!
      I wish there were places to pick our own apples in Hong Kong!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Rena September 16, 2017 at 4:03 pm

The look you wore for the apple picking is extremely cute and I adore the perfect pictures. Thanks for sharing this lovely post.
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Michael @ Mile in My Glasses September 16, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Wonderful snaps Jean, it looks like you had such a great time! I absolutely love apple pie – it’s a yearly tradition in this house that we can’t pass up! Ha!

I hope you’ve had a lovely weekend so far!
      Michael

• Alex September 16, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Cute outfit for apple picking and love that you are sharing recipes!

As an aside, just wanted to say that I loved your email on pants and to let you in on my own recent discovery – Gap Bi-stretch skinny ankle pants. I have longingly been searching for a replacement for my BR Sloan pants since they stopped making the original (and my husband shrunk my favorite navy ones) and these are it. Amazingly similar in fabric, fit and style. No sagging in the bottom or knees as day goes on, no waist gap! Tons of colors too. For reference, I am 0P in the Sloan and in these Gap I am 00P. Enjoy!

• Jenny Yin September 16, 2017 at 11:41 pm

This is such a cute outfit, and thanks for sharing the detail.
      I have been looking for apple picking places here in the Bay Area, too.

• Julia T September 17, 2017 at 1:56 am

This outfit is so gorgeous! Such a cute one for apple picking!

• Kate September 17, 2017 at 8:24 am

What a cute basket! Is that your own or was it from the farm?

• Megan @ Lush to Blush September 17, 2017 at 11:27 am

You look SO cute! I’ve always wanted to go apple picking!

• Ray September 17, 2017 at 2:16 pm

You always look so beautiful.

• Jandrew September 17, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Darling you say ” most things are too young ” at Urban outfitters. I would just like to put out that unless the clothes are distinctly juvenile, they are not too young . Age appropriate dressing , for adults is an preconceived judgement !
      Jandrew
      Dress The Part

• Diana September 17, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Omg how funny – I picked up this same suspender skirt from Urban Outfitters yesterday and I’m wearing it today! I love it so much, I dressed it with a black lace crop top for a date 🙂 You look so cute in it and the recipe looks delicious!

Diana

• Mary | O Blog da Mary September 17, 2017 at 5:33 pm

This is the most perfect outfit! Love the layering, and the colour of the skirt is stunning!

Mary | O Blog da Mary

• Elizabeth September 17, 2017 at 6:30 pm

The pie looks amazing! <3 And your hair is so gorgeous! Loving the outfit too! 🙂

XO, Elizabeth

• Julia September 17, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Love this fun early fall look! I haven’t shopped at Urban Outfitters in a while and just walked into the store a week ago as well!

Julia || Closet de Jules

• Deasy @ Ticket For Adventure September 18, 2017 at 12:04 am

That outfit is perfect! And your hair is sooo luscious! I hope you do a hair tutorial!

• Dina Qiu September 18, 2017 at 1:40 am

Hey Jean!

What brand of vanilla extract do you use?

Thanks for answering in advance!

xo

• Helen September 18, 2017 at 2:07 am

I wouldn’t have thought that Urban Outfitters had so many cute and sophisticated pieces, but I love that cute suspender skirt! Also, thank you for this pie filling recipe. I’ve tried my hand at pie baking several times, only to fail, so maybe I’ll finally be successful with this recipe.

-Helen

• Katerina September 18, 2017 at 4:10 pm

What a delicious recipe 🙂 Thanks for sharing with us 🙂

• Sincerely Ophelia September 18, 2017 at 10:52 pm

The pie recipe looks like a must try!

• Julia September 19, 2017 at 7:02 pm

I’m so excited for apple picking season with my little guy! Love your skirt 🙂

~Julia

• Dolce Petite September 20, 2017 at 3:20 am

That skirt is so incredibly cute!
      xx,
      Jasmin

• Catia September 20, 2017 at 9:25 am

This outfit is lovely! A skirt with a bow is something I could always wear 🙂

Kisses,
      Cátia
      ♥ The petite Cat ♥

• Apple Picking | Island Girl October 5, 2017 at 4:41 am

[…] Okay, the main reason I want to go to Boston–and the East Coast in general–is to experience fall. On Extra Petite, Jean recently blogged about her and her husband’s apple picking adventure. […]