• Sunflower Summer // Midi dress + retro sunglasses

sunflowers summer style fashion extra petite blog

Cooperative linen dress xs in sunflower (7 colors!),  Urban Outfitters sunglasses (2 colors; only $16!),  Janessa Leone klint hat sz S,  Milly wicker bag,  Bar III sandals sz 5 (my review

Thank you guys for your patience over the past two days as Extra Petite got a (long overdue) facelift! We’re still making tweaks and importing old comments, but overall, I’d love to hear your feedback and if anything’s not working properly. I’m also launching a weekly newsletter that will feature previews of upcoming posts and item reviews before they hit the blog, so please subscribe up above if you’re interested! (Just FYI, you do have to click a link in a confirmation email to successfully subscribe, and if you use Gmail, it may be filtered under the “promotions” tab.)

For this new site design and development, I got to work with a talented local lady, Quinn – someone who I met completely by chance on the streets of Boston! Quinn mentioned she was a reader of my blog, and we quickly hit it off chattering about all our favorite eats in the city (I didn’t even realize she was a web designer ’til much later). I’m constantly amazed by the incredible women I get to connect with through this blog, both online and in-person!

round retro sunglasses milly wicker bag summer outfit ideas sunflower field
    Today’s look features two recent finds that I seriously cannot get enough of. I had packed this sunflower print midi dress for France with the L’Occitane team, unaware that it’d be peak sunflower season in the region we were visiting! On our drive from the Marseilles airport to the little countryside town of Mane, there were long stretches of flower fields that took our breath away. On our last afternoon there, we got to take a cute vintage buggy out for a spin – our driver surprised Nick and I by pulling right up against this incredible field, so we could take photos to our heart’s desire (I have to say, I was impressed by the off-roading abilities of such a “rustic” vehicle)!

On to these sunglasses, which I’ve gotten so many questions about! I had been searching high and low for round, retro-style sunnies that didn’t slip down my flatter nose bridge. This pair is amazing for the $16 price tag – they’re definitely not designer quality, but the fit and design are just what I was looking for. The plastic frames are a classic brown tortoise shell, and the slim gold bar arms look sleek and refined.

sunflower fields provence france loccitane vintage car
    With clothing, I always look for features that can provide a more customized fit. This dress has an elasticized back panel at the torso, adjustable shoulder straps (makes such a difference!), and I love that the front buttons down so you can opt to show a little leg. The material is a comfortable linen blend (will shrink a bit if dried on high heat), and is not too thin. If you’re not big on sunflowers, this also comes in several other colors and prints, including blue stripes or classic black or white!

sunflower farm field urban outfitters emilia dress petite fashion
    For the expecting mamas out there – I’ve been getting some requests for non-maternity clothes that’ll still accommodate a bump. I have several pregnant friends who don’t want to spend money on maternity wear, so I’m always keeping an eye out for pieces that’d work for them, too! If you shorten the shoulder straps on this dress and wear it higher up, empire waist-style, the elasticized waist area can fit above a growing belly.

castaner espadrille wedges urban outfitters sunflower midi dress

wore this dress on repeat ~ this time with my Castaner wedges sz 35 & woven picnic bag

provence france visit farm fields

29 thoughts on “Sunflower Summer // Midi dress + retro sunglasses

• Olyvia August 4, 2017 at 3:35 am

I love the first photo so much! Did Nick take these? I feel like you guys should frame it, lol! so perfect from the hair, dress, sunnies…and dress to match the cute car and the sunflowers!

• Extra Petite August 5, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Hi Olyvia, thank you as always for your sweet comments over the years! Yes photo credit goes to Nick – I’ll have to let him know your compliment ; )

• Jenny August 4, 2017 at 6:55 am

Omg.. Love your dress!
      It looks exactly same as real flower. :))
      Perfect styling! xx

• Erny Kurniawati August 4, 2017 at 7:16 am

Ahhh so beautiful, both of you and the garden!

• Neeltje | Thoughts in Style August 4, 2017 at 8:20 am

Wow stunning photos! X

• Catia August 4, 2017 at 8:40 am

You look so gorgeous on that dress! The pictures and beautiful and that little basket bag is the cutest 🙂

xx,
      Catia
      ♥ The petite Cat ♥

• Lavender Citrus August 4, 2017 at 9:38 am

This photos are amazing. Your outfit and styling is on point and the car is too cute.

I would love to hear your thoughts about my last post on how to become a minimalist.
      Visit >> http://lavendercitrus.wordpress.com

• Peppermint Dolly August 4, 2017 at 9:50 am

That dress is stunning! I absolutely love it!!

Rebecca
      xx

• Scarlett | Petite Suitcase August 4, 2017 at 9:53 am

I adore this look… and the new look of the blog!

• Gwen Kennedy August 4, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Jean – what a wonderful update! I just logged in on my work computer and LOVE the new look and feel! One observation – I check EP on my phone in the morning (coffee + fashion fix) so was really surprised today to see all of the sponsored content ads that really aren’t applicable to EP. They interrupt the comment flow and make the mobile site version feel, well, a bit junky – not like EP’s polished uncluttered vibe. Hoping these will disappear or be replaced with style/fashion links? Glad the computer version doesn’t have these. Very much looking forward to the newsletter. Love the Provence posts! Have a nice weekend! – Gwen K.

• Jean | Extra Petite August 4, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Hi Gwen – thank you so much for your feedback! I totally agree – those super spammy ads you saw were actually run by Disqus (this commenting system), unbeknownst to me … I was alarmed to wake up this morning and see them, but hopefully they should be gone now! Have a great weekend as well, and I hope to cross paths again in Boston soon! xx

• Jean | Extra Petite August 4, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Hi Olyvia – it’s always so nice hearing from you!! Thank you for your sweet comments over the years. Yes, credit goes to Nick … I’ll have to pass along your compliments ; )

• Kim Evangelista August 4, 2017 at 3:07 pm

So beautiful! I also love the new look for your website–very clean, organized, and beautiful. Looking forward to the newsletter and I love your blog!

• Linna August 4, 2017 at 3:42 pm

I love the new look of the website! Great job, Quinn! Also, I LOVE that sunflower dress on you – especially standing in that beautiful field.

• Kay Nguyen August 4, 2017 at 3:49 pm

This really is the perfect summer dress! Love your blog <3

• Massy Lowe August 4, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Love the new layout of the blog. I found your blog a couple of months ago and look forward to your posts daily. Your fashion sense is spot on!! Thanks for all the info that’s so helpful for us petite women.

• Michael @ Mile in My Glasses August 4, 2017 at 6:03 pm

I’m loving your site update Jean! It’s so beautiful, and perfect for the blog! Your dress is absolutely gorgeous and what a wonderful shooting location – wow!

I hope you have a great start to your weekend,
      Michael

• vap August 4, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Jean. Love the new web format and these shots! Aren’t they fun? Absolutely lovely.

• Sarah Lilly August 4, 2017 at 10:31 pm

That dress is so beautiful, and the photos in the sunflower fields are so dreamy! That L’Occitane car is just so cute! I’m loving your new site design too, it’s so chic and user-friendly! x

Sarah Lilly || The Lilly Mint Blog

• pineapplepink August 4, 2017 at 9:21 pm

So beautiful, photos i love your style i love this dress
      kisses
      New post:http://thepinkpineappleblog.blogspot.com/2017/08/haute-couture-2017.html
      Blog:http://thepinkpineappleblog.blogspot.com/

• Jess August 5, 2017 at 5:50 am

Love your post!! All these photos make me want to plan a new vacation!! I also am enjoying the new layout. The only small piece of feedback is that on mobile devices, when you first come to the page, all the wording shifts to one side of the outfit details box. I don’t believe this happens when you are on a laptop. It’s not a huge deal since you can still read everything, just a small aesthetic things for when you are on your phone or iPad.

• Lin Chong August 5, 2017 at 10:16 am

Hi Jean, really love your outfits esp some of those from Express. Would it be too much trouble to help find out why readers from outside of the US are unable to access the Express site and if there is any way we can get their stuff? It’s terribly frustrating to see the access denied message after admiring their stuff on you!

• Mizeats August 5, 2017 at 11:12 am

Gorgeous pics! Love how your outfits and accessories always coordinate so well with your surroundings, Jean! Provence looks so lovely!!

• Sylvia Christine Inciong August 5, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Hello Jean. I’ve been a long-time reader of your blog, all the way from the Philippines and now, in the US. I was pleasantly surprised to see the new look of your blog when I went on my computer this morning. I loved the old look before, but this one is much nicer! Love also the organization of your outfit posts – casual, travel, work, and special occasion. Oh, and also the organization by season, which is really helpful for someone who is new to these things (like me). I’m starting to build my wardrobe that can last through seasons, so your post about layering was also really helpful! Cheers and I look forward to your new posts!

• Chelan August 6, 2017 at 12:24 am

That dress! That field! Those sunglasses! Your hair! That car! Seriously, is there anything not to love about these photos? You are stunning!

• Elizabeth August 6, 2017 at 5:09 pm

This dress is absolutely gorgeous! <3 🙂 I love how beautiful these photos came out! Very stunning!

XO, Elizabeth

• Joules August 7, 2017 at 10:51 am

That second picture is pure perfection. Not only is the dress gorgeous, but the way you shot it in that field of sunflowers? It might actually be the best picture I’ve ever seen on your blog, and that’s saying a lot!

Style by Joules

• Cam Nguyen August 13, 2017 at 5:34 pm

You look stunning in these photo, Nick sure knows your good side.

• Kat Lamming August 16, 2017 at 2:47 pm

I am 7 months pregnant and totally agree that this dress works with my bump. In terms of sizing, I would be cautious about the chest area as the XS is pretty tight for my 34C chest. The S works as well and was a much better fit in the chest but I almost always wear an XS in Urban Outfitters and want to continue wearing this dress postpartum (and when my chest shrinks, hehe). I am going to try the XS again without a strapless bra and hope that will give me more room before I decide which size to keep. Comfortable and really soft fabric, totally appreciate that the white is lined!