• 5 Staple Pieces Your Guy Needs In His Wardrobe

menswear 5 staple wardrobe pieces topman blazer

Jean: H&M jacket sz 2 (CURRENT VERSION, with adorable scallops!),  Cuyana Silk Blouse c/o xs,  Steve Madden SANDALS sz 5.5 (runs narrow),  J.Crew mini skirt (old)
    Nick: TOPMAN BLAZER sz 38,  TOPMAN SLIM JEANS 32 x 30, Sperry Gold Cup shoes (3 colors avail. at Nordstrom)

Below is a guest post by Nick, husband of Jean:

Like a lot of guys, I have a very precise clothes shopping strategy: buy one thing and wear the crap out of it for a year, then go shopping again. So when it comes to sales, I try to steer clear of the white leather pants and, instead, look for versatile items I can wear in a variety of situations and seasons. Want to employ the same strategy while shopping for the men in your life? Here are 5 staples that you can sneak into your man’s closet for an instant upgrade:

5 Men’s Wardrobe Pieces That Can Be Worn (Almost) Year-Round

1. TAILORED Blazer

Blue blazers are ubiquitous for a reason. But avoid the traditional navy with brass buttons (unless you’re shopping for a sea captain), and look for a tailored fit in a versatile hue that can work with both chinos and jeans.

Topman Slim Jersey Blazer – They’re calling this a “jersey” blazer, but the material itself is actually structured. The casual texture combined with the more traditional cut makes it an easy blazer to dress up or down (as you see here, with jeans). Size-wise I usually take a 38S or 36S depending on the brand (J.Crew Ludlow Suit Blazers in 36S are my go-to, but are usually excluded from sale). Topman tends to run smaller and snugger, so the 38 regular works for me.

mens style staples navy tailored blazer outfit

2. SLIM, DARK JEANS

A good pair of dark denim is probably the most versatile piece of clothing there is. But if you buy a guy $200 designer skinny jeans, there is a good chance he blows out the crotch doing burpees during a bar crawl.

Topman Stretch Slim Fit Jeans – These fit similar to the discontinued Levi’s 508 (RIP), which were my preferred cut of denim. High-rise, slim but not skinny, and tapered below the knee. For fit reference, me and my thunder thighs can’t usually fit into anything labeled “skinny.” I once tried on a pair of European cut super skinny jeans and needed the jaws of life to get them off. My condolences to the Zara fitting room attendant.

3. BOAT SHOES

Boat shoes are some kind of magical foot chameleon. I’ve worn them to bars, beaches, and weddings. They work equally well with swim shorts as they do the aforementioned blazer.

Sperry Gold Cup Boat Shoes (3 colors at Nordstrom) – You know what they say, once you go Gold Cup you never go back. Oh, what’s that? No one actually says that? Well they should. Softer, more supple leather. Cushier insoles. Refined details. Is this higher-end line by Sperry worth nearly three times the price of their regular boat shoes? Debatable. But twice as much, like they are right when on sale? Definitely. I have a pair I’ve worn for years. In fact, I’m wearing them as I type this and let’s just say my toes are very, very happy (of the three colors available at Nordstrom, the Sahara Leather looks mighty handsome).

casual menswear mens style outfit ideas
    4. CHUKKA BOOTS

Here’s an easy style formula: Take any fall or winter outfit a guy is wearing with sneakers. Replace with chukka boots. Outfit improved.

Clarks Desert Boots – The Clarks Desert Boots in beeswax are an all-time classic. Even at regular price, they’re worth it. These Red Wing Chukka Boots are similar and feel a little sturdier and more durable, especially their version of the crepe sole, but that also seems to be reflected in the higher price.

mens casual jacket fall outfit style tips

Nick:  Clarks Desert bootsBilly Reid jacket sz S on sale! TOPMAN SLIM JEANS 32 x 30

5. CASUAL JACKET

What should your guy wear when it’s cool out, but a blazer is too fancy and that tattered old hoodie of his is, well, too gross? A casual knit jacket offers the comfort of a sweatshirt, while cooly letting people know, “It’s true, I no longer live in a dorm.”

Billy Reid Quilted Jacket (on sale until Sunday) – Last year, I picked out (ok, fine, Jean picked out) a Ted Baker knit jacket that I’ve worn basically for 365 days straight. I’m giving this Billy Reid one a try, but only time will tell if it also permanently attaches itself to my body. It’s a steep price for an unlined jacket in a sweatshirt material, but the fit is good, and it will layer well under winter coats. Both Ted and Billy are pricier brands, but they both have a knack for making pieces that can be casual yet tailored.

Ted Baker, though, always finds a way to incorporate a little edgy accent into all of their pieces while still feeling grown-up. So check out this Baseball Jacket (on sale until Sunday) or this Quilted Bomber Jacket if you’re okay with spending a little more. Their sizing system is a little funky, but I’m consistently a size 2 there, and a Small in most American brands.

23 thoughts on “5 Staple Pieces Your Guy Needs In His Wardrobe

• Reply Ophelia Tang August 4, 2017 at 11:37 pm

HELLOOOO NICK! Aw thats awesome! I agree with all the staples! You two look so so cute together!

XOXO //
      SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses August 5, 2017 at 5:54 am

I love your content for guys! And loving your suggestions too, Nick! I’m definitely going to look at the blazer and chukka boots! My style has gone through a pretty major rehaul this year ha!

I hope you have a lovely Saturday,
      Michael

• Reply Kay Nguyen August 5, 2017 at 7:27 am

Love your blog! Both of you look amazing <3

• Reply Mizeats August 5, 2017 at 11:20 am

This post is so helpful! Thanks for the great suggestions, Nick! Now I know what to target when clothes shopping for my boyfriend! Not only is the post informative but humorous as well 🙂 A big thanks,Jean, for always taking our requests and suggestions into consideration!

• Reply Mizeats August 11, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Hi Jean – My boyfriend loves the navy blazer from Nordstrom.! However, the size 38 was a bit snug for him in the arm area, but we’ll just exchange it for the next size up…no biggie! Thanks!!

• Reply Ray August 5, 2017 at 11:34 am

You both look really amazing.

• Reply Ashley August 5, 2017 at 12:01 pm

OMG Nick is hilarious!

• Reply Alvina August 5, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Lol love Nick’s commentary and side comments.

• Reply Kathy August 5, 2017 at 5:24 pm

LOVE this post! Definitely made me laugh. Hubby was sitting next to me as I read him parts of the post :p Thanks you two!

• Reply Cat August 5, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Love this post, thank you! Question for Jean, how were you able to hem the sleeves of the suede jacket? It has a zipper!

• Reply Kiran August 6, 2017 at 12:46 am

I think it’s great when Nick does a guest post! I love the blazer recommendation and already picked it up as a surprise. On a side note, Jean – where is your orange Hermes belt from? It is so lovely and I want to get one just like it as well! Thanks!!

• Reply Nona August 6, 2017 at 10:24 am

That was hilarious and informative! More please!

• Reply Marissa August 6, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Nick, please do more staple posts! I love these!

• Reply Elizabeth August 6, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Definitely some very sound and practical tips! 🙂 Thank you so much Nick! Loving all of these versatile and effortless outfits that you pulled off!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply kim August 6, 2017 at 9:19 pm

I love the new blog layout! I am very pro lazy wireless tshirt bra.

• Reply Kim Evangelista August 7, 2017 at 9:33 am

I loved the recommendations for the men’s department! Jean, your husband’s personality definitely showed in this. It cracked me up! I definitely enjoyed this. Thanks!

• Reply Joules August 7, 2017 at 10:52 am

My husband has most of these staples, though he’s never tried on Chukka Boots, so thanks for the reco!

Style by Joules

• Reply jen August 7, 2017 at 12:41 pm

hi jean & nick, would you have recommendations for messenger bags for guys (one that can hold a laptop)?

• Reply Anonymous August 7, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Love this post!

I’d love to read a post in which you discuss buying bracelets for girls with extremely small wrists. 🙂

• Reply Valeri Pighini August 7, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Hi Jean and Nick. GREAT post from Nick – thank you. I think my guy would really appreciate these pieces and will be a great gift for him. At least it would get him started on trying something new. He’s also quite slim, like Nick, so I appreciate the reference to slim cut. Thanks you guys!!!!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog August 9, 2017 at 12:09 am

I need to share this blog post with my bf! Totally agree on the boat shoes!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Sharon August 10, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Thank you Nick! Great suggestions. Please continue posting.

• Reply Laura August 17, 2017 at 10:11 am

This post is so cute! If I had a boyfriend I would definitely share this with him lol