Summer Picnic + Pleats at Boston Public Garden

summer picnic romantic couples date boston blogger extra petite

For effortless summer outfits, I often turn to the dresses section of my closet. I love a classic sheath or shift for professional wear, a flowy maxi for casual days, or a shapely fit & flare for special occasions. Lately, I’ve gone out of my comfort zone and experimented more with romantic midi lengths, which I know can be polarizing with petite women. This in-between length is usually shunned as a “don’t” for petites, but style boundaries are meant to be pushed (also in my opinion, a pair of nude shoes always helps)!

pleated midi dress petite fashion summer cocktail dress outfit

I’m partnering with Banana Republic to share their latest dresses arrivals, many of which are available in petites and usually fit me without alterations needed!

banana republic petite dresses boston fashion blog

This pleated midi dress got so many compliments from passerby! This would be a beautiful piece for summer weddings or garden / cocktail parties. The color scheme is a blend of peach, pinks, beige, and navy, and the material has a satiny slip-dress feel to it. There’s a full lining and also decorative bow ties on each shoulder for an added feminine touch. Note the fabric is non-stretch, and is a little less fitted on me around the bust and waist (see measurements below) than typical BR dresses in stretchy fabrics. A big plus is that this dress can be hand-washed, so no costly dry cleaning needed.

Measurements of 00p: 14.5″ across armpits, 13″ across waist, 43″ total length. Side zipper entry.

things to do in boston public garden common picnic

what to pack on a summer picnic williams sonoma basket

banana republic petites pleated dress summer wedding outfit

Other styles from Banana Republic that caught my eye, in a range of silhouettes:

– Floral sheath dress – for work to weekend layering, I like looking for classic sleeveless-cut dresses with a V or scoop neckline. These features allow the dress to be easily layered over a collared button-down shirt, or over a thin turtleneck on cooler spring or fall days.

– Ruffle fit & flare dress – The little black dress updated with soft ruffles along the hem and sleeves, and a horizontal lattice band to accentuate the waistline.

– One-shoulder maxi dress – on extra sale, and still available in small petite sizes. See the striped version on me here – I found the length to work on my 5′ tall frame without alterations, and the lined material is breezy and comfortable for warm days. Note the dress is fairly straight cut, so there’s not much shape to it unless the waist belt is tied.

summer picnic spread pleated dress boston MA

Thank you to Banana Republic for partnering on this post.

26 thoughts on “Summer Picnic + Pleats at Boston Public Garden

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture and Lifestyle Blog July 5, 2017 at 2:18 pm

I absolutely love the colours of your long dress. It's so girly and is perfect for a picnic – speaking of which, I really need to have one this year!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Ewa Macherowska July 5, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Beautiful place! 😉

• Alexia Mickens July 5, 2017 at 4:30 pm

You look beautiful. Serene setting!
    See my latest post:
    // don't be silent
    born bred BE – a blog by Alexia

• mybeautrip July 5, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Your skirt is amazing!Beautiful photos.
    xx

• Sarah Lilly July 5, 2017 at 6:58 pm

That dress is beautiful, I absolutely love the little ties on the shoulders! I'd love a dress like this for summer!

Sarah Lilly || The Lilly Mint Blog

• StyleMePretty661 July 5, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Beautiful dress and photos! I'm always drawn to the feminine details like the shoulder ties — such a pretty touch and perfect for Summer!

Sara

• Sincerely Ophelia July 6, 2017 at 2:16 am

Super loving this colorful pleated dress. And so cute at the picnic!!!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Michael @ Mile in My Glasses July 6, 2017 at 4:03 am

Your photos look absolutely gorgeous, Jean! I love your dress! It looks lovely!

I hope you have a great Thursday,
    Michael

• Anonymous July 6, 2017 at 4:36 am

I noticed that one of your most popular posts (how to look older) was from many years ago, and the style of that post feels quite different from your more recent posts (I think you even said in it that you didn't know anything about fashion). You've come a long way! I'd be really interested in reading about your biggest lessons learned in blogging, fashion, and other areas over the last few years.

• Peppermint Dolly July 6, 2017 at 5:38 am

Such a pretty dress and I totally agree, a great one for Summer weddings!

Rebecca
    xx

• Neeltje | Thoughts in Style July 6, 2017 at 6:12 am

These photos are so beautiful! X

• The Pink Pineapple July 6, 2017 at 7:32 am

I love post,the dress is super cute
    The Pink Pineapple
    New post: http://thepinkpineappleblog.blogspot.com/

• Karina Jacques July 6, 2017 at 8:45 am

These photos are BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Love that skirt! It's so feminine!
    xo. Kari

• Linna July 6, 2017 at 10:23 am

That BR pleated dress looks gorgeous on you! I clicked on it on the BR website and it would not have caught my eye otherwise!

• Jenn Wang July 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm

How GORGEOUS! Love those pleats and shoulder ties! I love how versatile the dress is – you could wear it to a wedding or to a picnic in the park. And your picnic is just too picturesque!

Jenn

• Phil Kemmett July 6, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Looks like an amazing day! Loving these pictures, your dress is beautiful!
    Kim

• Mizeats July 6, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Such beautiful pics! You look so gorgeous in that pretty dress, Jean!

• Rachel July 7, 2017 at 9:14 am

Lovely photos! Beautiful look!

• Julia Mazzucato July 7, 2017 at 9:23 am

This dress is so stunning! I love the gorgeous length and this beautiful setting.
    Julia・Little Miss Haute Couture

• Regine Karpel July 7, 2017 at 11:11 am
  • Denise Ross July 9, 2017 at 1:36 am

I saw this BR dress online and never gave it another thought. When I saw it again featured on your blog, I had to try it on. I bought it today and it's just as magical in person. Thank you for such a great buy!

• Jean July 10, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Haha I still would not call myself fashion-forward like many other bloggers (I just wear what I love and works for my body type), but yes, a lot does evolve a lot over 7 years! Off the top of my head, some of my biggest lessons in fashion are: 1. well-fitting does not necessarily mean tight. I got a lot of items tailored to be pretty snug in my early adulthood, but find to be too tight or form-fitting for my style (and changing figure!) these days. 2. Keep an open mind when shopping, as departments brands don't really matter. I've ended up finding favorites from the most unexpected places (including the little boys department!), and brands intended for audiences way younger or older than I am.

• Jean July 10, 2017 at 12:56 pm

thank you, Linna! I know what you mean about the stock photos … oftentimes they don't do the items justice, and sometimes it's the opposite, lol!

• Jean July 10, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Hi Denise, I'm so happy to hear that! Enjoy your beautiful dress!

• Laura Argelati July 11, 2017 at 9:48 am

Hi, I'm an italian blogger…I was in Boston some days ago, for my honeymoon (also in New York and Washington): I loved that city!! Parks, cafes, restaurants, historical buildings, markets…everything! ♥ greetings, Laura from Italy

• JustPeachy22 July 18, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Hi Jean, I clicked on the link and it looks like this dress isn't available in petite, only women's. Do you think it sold out or just hasn't made it online yet?