• New England Summer Style // Bow tie blouse + little white dress

banana republic petite sloan pants bow shirt work outfit

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! I’m partnering with Banana Republic to share this easy, everyday outfit elevated by small, sophisticated details. They’re having a big sale this weekend with all dresses marked $75, and at least 40% off everything else with code BRSUMMER. You guys may have seen this gorgeous tiered white dress on my Instagram – despite it being a fancier piece, I’ve gotten good wear out of it casually dressed down with a denim jacket and low sandals. It fits true to size and has a good weight to it due to the pleated tiers and lining. I typically don’t go for this intermediary length (it’s between a true midi and a maxi on someone my height), but it just felt so pretty and feminine on. I lost track of how many compliments it garnered over the weekend!

white maxi dress for bridal shower rehearsal dinner petite outfits

white denim jacket casual style outfit boston fashion blogger

Banana Republic denim jacket xxsp c/o (from last year), KJP bracelet xs

It’s no secret my most favorite ankle pants are Banana Republic sloans from several years ago, however they’ve changed the fit no less than three times since. I tried on a black pair last year and it felt several sizes too big, but I found the latest version (as of May 2017) to be a little closer to the original. The bottom opening is wider than my favorite older pair, but still slimmer than several other petite ankle pants I’ve tried on. I second all the requests online to bring back the old sloans, but until then these are as close as it gets!

cape cod summer fashion preppy pink pants outfit

Like with my old pair, I did have to shrink them down in the dryer for a better fit (do this at your own risk, since they’re labeled dry clean) and I usually wear them with a belt. I always recommend checking the item every 15 minutes or so in the dryer to make sure it doesn’t become too small or get too damaged from the high heat. I bought this pink color as well as a staple black pair, and the black looks more sleek and wrinkle-free (the material quality appears unchanged even after machine drying). The pink is actually like a red chambray with a little texture. I also saw the darker gray “charcoal” in person and liked the look and feel of the material.

brant point lighthouse nantucket classy summer outfit

As a lover of classic pieces with a feminine twist, I was elated to find this tie-neck top (also comes in blue and white stripes)! It fits nicely off the rack, and looks smooth from the back unlike some blousier shirts. The petite length hits by my hips, so I actually think it looks best either untucked with pants, or tucked into higher-waisted bottoms like I did above. I can’t wait to try it with some of my pencil skirts. To make this outfit work-appropriate, just swap the denim jacket out for a white (or patterned) cardigan or blazer.

banana republic sloan pants petite work clothes
    bow tie shirt cute summer work outfit ideas
    cute outfits flat loafers scallop tote bag pink pants

Thank you to Banana Republic for partnering on this post.

37 thoughts on “New England Summer Style // Bow tie blouse + little white dress

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture and Lifestyle Blog May 28, 2017 at 1:44 pm

You look so adorable and sweet. Love the girly combo of white and pink – the bow completes it all!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia May 28, 2017 at 1:47 pm
    • Mizeats May 28, 2017 at 2:19 pm

These looks are so cute and feminine, Jean! Love them so much !! I bought a pair of the sloan pants and plan to wear it for work and in a more casual way as you've shown here. Thanks as always for your fabulous styling tips!!

• Ewa Macherowska May 28, 2017 at 3:54 pm
    • Michael @ Mile in My Glasses May 28, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Your photos are always so wonderful, Jean! Your outfits are lovely, I love the summer inspo!

I hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend!
      Michael

• mybeautrip May 28, 2017 at 4:50 pm

This blouse is lovely. You look so beautiful!
      xx

• Briana Nicole May 28, 2017 at 4:56 pm

I adore your outfits! So feminine and dainty! The pink is my fave!

Briana

• Anonymous May 28, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Loving the bow top!

• Pamela Gonzalez May 28, 2017 at 8:06 pm

That bow tie top is too cute!♥

• Dice May 28, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Great outfit! I saw the M. Gemi loafers said it's true to size on their site..I'm between a 5-5.5. Which size would you recommend I get? Thanks.

• Anonymous May 28, 2017 at 11:43 pm

Hi Jean, this is a bit unrelated to your current post, but I'm wondering if you are still using the Laura Mercier smooth finish flawless fluid foundation and if you have tried the new "candleglow soft luminous foundation"? Macy's currently has both available (and it's part of the Macy's cash promo) and I'm interested in your opinion. My skin type seems similar to yours– I have very sensitive skin that tends to be dry. Thanks so much in advance!

• Anonymous May 29, 2017 at 3:00 am

Cute nails, too!

• Sophie Spiegelberger May 29, 2017 at 4:09 am

Perfect looks, the pink and white combination is so fresh and elegant!

• Kaitlin Schubert May 29, 2017 at 8:09 am

Very pretty! Love that blouse! 🙂

xo, Katie
      Willow and White

• Rachel May 29, 2017 at 9:26 am

You are just the cutest! I love your blouse. And those pink pants are callin' my name!

xoxo
      Rachel

• Jessi May 29, 2017 at 10:00 am

That is such a chic blouse! I love the bow. Both outfits are perfection!

xoxo
      Jessi

• Erin May 29, 2017 at 10:24 am

That dress looks beautiful on you! I love how you wore it here but I like the idea of being able to dress it down a little bit too.

• Julia Mazzucato May 29, 2017 at 10:58 am

That white dress is too gorgeous!
      Julia・Little Miss Haute Couture

• The Pink Pineapple May 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Beautiful looks greetings
      The Pink Pineapple
      New post:http://thepinkpineappleblog.blogspot.com/

• Sincerely Ophelia May 30, 2017 at 1:21 am

I absolutely love the white dress! The tiered ruffles and pleats are love <3

XOXO //
      SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Julia May 30, 2017 at 4:37 am

I LOVE the ankle pants from banana republic. I have so many of them in different colors and prints! I do sometimes wish they make them in a more variety of lengths and cuts though. I used to wear heels to work so the ones I own look pretty good with heels. However, I am now working in an environment where I only wear flats now…so sometimes the ankles pants don't look as good and make my legs look shorter 🙁

Julia || Closet de Jules || Recent Post – The Only Spring Maxi Dress You Need

• Katie C. May 30, 2017 at 10:01 am

This would be such a cute work look! Just sub the pink denim for pink dress slacks. Love the top!

• Carol P May 30, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Perfect as always!

• Narhee May 30, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Love the bow on the blouse!

Made in MauveBloglovin

• Mel May 30, 2017 at 6:01 pm

P.S. Banana Republic Factory also has the long-sleeved version of your tie-neck top in white and blue stripes!

• Amruta Pandit May 30, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Hi! Would you mind sharing what setting you used to put them in the dryer and how long it took you? I wear the 0 petite, it's just a tad loose but the 00 petite looks snug. I'm 40 so I don't want to wear them too tight. I have a pair I bought on sale and they were cheap enough to try this.

• Amruta Pandit May 30, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Hi! Would you mind sharing what setting you used when you shrunk them in the dryer? I have one pair that I bought on sale and it was cheap enough to try this. I'm between a 00 petite and 0 petite.

• Anonymous May 30, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Lovely! I'm curious, have you ever done a full inventory of your closet on this blog before? I'm really curious to know how many pants, skirts, blouses, dresses, shoes, bags, etc. you keep around to mix and match, to get a rough idea of what I should be aiming for.

• Jean May 30, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Thanks! Did you buy the sloan pants recently? Curious how you found the fit to be!

• Jean May 30, 2017 at 11:02 pm

That's a tough one…I'm the same size as you and I'm squarely in between their loafer sizes. If you're ok with them being tighter at first then stretching a little with wear (like genuine leather tends to do), you should do the 35.

• Jean May 30, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Hi! Yes I'm still using the flawless fluide but have been very curious about the new option! If you try it, let me know what you think. Since I also have dry skin, I always make sure to moisturize about 15 minutes before applying foundation, regardless.

• Jean May 30, 2017 at 11:04 pm

The pink bottoms here are actually work-style ankle pants! They are comfy similar to denim, though : )

• Jean May 30, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Hi – my dryer doesn't have that many settings so I just washed the pants in cold water and then dried on high heat. I ended up drying them almost all the way to get to the slim fit I wanted.

• Jean May 30, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Hi there – I'm not the best example of what to aim for since I definitely have more pieces than what's needed for a functional wardrobe, due to my work in fashion! I think 5-10 pieces of each of the above categories in a mix of neutrals, colors, and prints are plenty for mixing and matching.

• Mizeats May 30, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Hi Jean, yes the pants were a recent purchase. I might use your shrinking technique as the waist area was somewhat loose but everywhere else the fit was fine.

• Sarah Lilly June 6, 2017 at 2:39 am

The pink pants are absolutely beautiful, I love them paired with the white – it's so fresh and feminine! Love that tiered dress too, you look beautiful!

The Lilly Mint Blog

• Melissa W July 3, 2017 at 10:51 am

I've found recently that even though the newer Sloan petite sizing still doesn't fit like the old ones, the colors that come in "short" rather than "petite" are a lot closer for me. I still need to shrink a little, but I always did. I'm 5'2.5", but thought I'd mention it…