• 3 Ways to style the minimalist sandal

casual outfit jeans striped button down shirt yellow sandals

Spring is finally in full swing! I’m partnering with DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse to share three outfits highlighting one of my favorite shoe trends for the season: the minimalist sandal. I love the clean, barely-there look of this style for wearing simply with jeans or dressed up as part of special occasion outfits. I combed through their large selection online and tried on a number of different styles – the three in today’s post are each lightweight and comfortable, plus available in small sizes starting at 5 or 5.5 (I found them all to fit true to size). As a bonus, they each also happen to be under $60!

dsw bright neon yellow strappy sandals

Minimalist doesn’t necessarily mean subtle – here’s an example of the style in a bold, vibrant color! These are faux suede, and are at a good price point for a fun statement piece. I can see these styled with a colorful outfit, or with a muted white/neutral one that lets the shoes speak for themselves. I wanted to show it with just a casual pairing consisting of a button-down shirt and jeans, with the sandals as the accent piece.

uniqlo pleated pink midi maxi skirt spring outfit petites

The nude sandal is a closet MVP. I wear my strappy sky-high ones quite a bit, and these are a more manageable variation with a moderate 3″ heel and wider front band (which I find in general to be more comfortable than narrow front straps). These are faux leather with a smooth, matte finish.

DSW affordable nude beige dressy sandals

spring outfit ruffle floral dress sandals petite fashion

Jessica Simpson suede sandals 5.5 c/o, JOA dress (old), woven handbag

Since wedding season is coming up, I also wanted to share these blue suede sandals with a comfortable block heel. If you’re going to be on your feet for a while and want to survive in heels for as long as possible, definitely go the more stable block heel route vs skinny stiletto. These are genuine suede, and the color is a beautiful soft powder blue.

jessica simpson something blue suede sandals wedding shoes heels

Thank you to DSW for partnering on this post. Which look here was your favorite?

38 thoughts on “3 Ways to style the minimalist sandal

• Kirsten April 24, 2017 at 9:37 am

For me, definitely the first look. I love having something simple to dress up a pretty casual outfit. Being comfortable is super important!

-Kirsten // pork & cookies

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture and Lifestyle Blog April 24, 2017 at 9:41 am

My favourite are the yellow sandals. They bring about a pop to your outfit in such a beautiful, subtle way!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Dressed With Soul April 24, 2017 at 9:45 am

All these spring looks are different but very beautiful!
      xx Rena

• Mizeats April 24, 2017 at 10:13 am

Hard to choose which look I prefer as they are all striking! I love these types of posts where you show us different ways of styling an item – very useful! The minimalist sandal is definitely a staple in the wardrobe!

Other restyling tips that are favorites of mine include wearing a long maxi skirt worn over a
      1-piece bathing suit to give the illusion of a resort-style dress (so clever!) to repurposing a duster as a beach coverup!

All these tips are so helpful!

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia April 24, 2017 at 10:20 am
    • Sasa Zoe April 24, 2017 at 10:29 am

So pretty, babe!

Shall We Sasa

• Rachelle Pinksole April 24, 2017 at 10:33 am

I love minimal sandals, so classy and cute.

xo
      Pinksole

• Polly April 24, 2017 at 11:23 am

Those yellow heels are my favorite! What a cute way to add a pop of color!

Polly

• Khanh Nguyen April 24, 2017 at 11:26 am

You always look amazing and your outfits are all on point! Love your style <3

• Kaitlin Schubert April 24, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I love everything above! Especially the blue ruffle dress 🙂 Perfection!

xo, Katie
      Willow and White

• Ewa Macherowska April 24, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Always love your outfits! 😉

• Liz | Shopping My Closet April 24, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Love the yellow pair!

Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com

• Alexis deZayas April 24, 2017 at 3:38 pm

I'm loving the pop of yellow in that first outfit!

• Keri H April 24, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Love all these looks! You are always dresses to absolute perfection

Enclothed Cognition

• Michael @ Mile in My Glasses April 24, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Lovely outfits, Jean! They're so Spring-y and wonderful!

I hope you've had a lovely start to your week!
      Michael

• Anonymous April 24, 2017 at 7:22 pm

You often look very stylish in skinny jeans or mid/high-waisted skirts. Do you have any recommendations for petite women trying to achieve similar looks but who want to avoid tightness? I never wear skinny jeans and almost always avoid belts, but it seems your looks frequently depend on them…

Also, is there a good place to ask you anonymous style questions other than in the comments? 😛

• Jessi April 24, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Such chic sandals! I love all of the pastel colors. Great looks 🙂

-Jessi

• Rachel April 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm

These chic sandals are the best! I love all of the colors and how you styled them!!

xoxo
      Rachel

• Ophelia T April 24, 2017 at 8:05 pm

WOW all the colors look so nice on you! I for one is into minimalism. I prefer solid colors to prints personally. So minimalistic sandals are my go-tos. I love em!

XOXO // Check out my latest post if you like 😉
      SINCERELY OPHELIA | CELINE Repair & Warranties | TALK

• Anonymous April 24, 2017 at 9:25 pm

The minimalistic sandal is my favorite style! I love the yellow and blue ones 🙂

• Corki Delosreyes April 24, 2017 at 11:02 pm

Well Jean as usual u look good in them all but I really love the blue!

• girl rom JAPAN April 25, 2017 at 12:18 am

I prefer shoes with soft sholes that flexes easily as I walk. What about MADDEN GIRL SANDALS, please?

• girl rom JAPAN April 25, 2017 at 12:22 am

Sorry Jean, I mistyped…

I prefer shoes with soft soles that flexes easily as I walk. What about MADDEN GIRL SANDALS, please?

Thank you!

• Emma Ortiz April 25, 2017 at 12:28 am

How come you have time to work in finance and still take care of every detail regarding the posts at your website?! I'd love to be like you when "I grow up"!

• anna April 25, 2017 at 7:09 am

Omg this is amazing! Beautiful colors nice

• Anonymous April 25, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Hi Jean! I am sure your eagle eyes have already spotted this, but how excited are you for M. Gemi to open at Copley? (I think I scared a woman coming out of Sephora with my gasp last week!) Speaking of neutral sandals.. in cognac/luggage tones… 3 options & 3 price-points I've been considering this week: M.Gemi Attorno ($248) of course sold out immediately, Talbots Mimi Ankle-Strap in pebbled Sepia ($139) (just out and twins for yours I think) and Sole Society's cognac Savannah ($79.95). I snagged the last pair of Savannahs in my size. I'm going to compare with Talbots. You really need to do a bag/footwear partnership with them! 🙂 Happy Tuesday Gwen K.

• Chelsea April 25, 2017 at 3:23 pm

I LOVE the yellow ones!

-Chelsea

• la Piña Rosa April 25, 2017 at 9:12 pm
    • Julia Mazzucato April 26, 2017 at 12:42 pm

I love these simple sandals! That blue dress is stunning.
      Julia・Little Miss Haute Couture

• Jean April 26, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Thank you as always for your feedback! xx

• Jean April 26, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Hi there! I'm not sure if I fully understand, but an alternative I can suggest is legging jeans, which are still on the fitted side and slimming, but are usually thinner and a lot stretchier than regular jeans so they allow more movement. With high waisted skirts, the ones with elasticized waists can be also very comfortable and non-restricting.

• Jean April 26, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Thank you, Corki! xx

• Jean April 26, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Hi there – the sole on the madden girl sandals isn't flex…sorry!

• Jean April 26, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Hi Emma! I left the finance field a while back to join a startup, and now I work fully for myself. I did blog while working in the industry for many years, so definitely think it's possible to have a job like that and pursue your passions on the side!

• Jean April 26, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Hi there Gwen! You're so up date date on everything : ) I'm definitely excited for their first MA store, and it's right next to Eataly nonetheless. Let me know what you think about the Mimi vs Savannah! The Mimi's look a little higher than mine, but very similar indeed.

• Ellie O April 27, 2017 at 4:26 pm

I love all of them, but I think the blue are my favourite! I prefer real suede to suedette as I feel they last longer. That being said, the yellow pair with jeans looks great too!

Ellie x

• Anonymous April 29, 2017 at 9:25 am

The yellow sandals give an interesting take on the easy casual outfit. I love your lip colour too. What lipstick are you wearing?

• Melissa May 23, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Hi Jean! I've been scouring the internet for "something blue" shoes for months. I did buy a pair of scallop block heels you recommended a while back but decided they were too high (4"). I've never worn Jessica Simpson heels – do you really think they are comfortable enough for a whole day?? Thanks 🙂