Winter to Spring Layering: The Long and Short of It

faux fur vest winter outfit layers boston fashion blog

Kensie sweater xs, Topshop jeans sz 25 x 30 (size up), old hat (similar),
Blank NYC jacket xs, Abercrombie vest xs, Goyard bag, Sam Edelman boots sz 5

I often mention outfit “formulas” on here, since having a few go-to ones will make getting dressed quicker and easier! I’m editing a new YouTube video on layering, and one of my favorite formulas discussed there is a cropped jacket over a longer top, plus one additional topper piece if it’s very cold out. For this outfit I started out with a longer tunic sweater as the base. I added warmth and texture by layering on a cropped moto jacket, plus a faux fur vest for going outdoors. The rule of thumb here is simply just to mix up the lengths – since the vest is longer, you can also tuck in the sweater to make it appear shorter in juxtaposition.

goyard st louis gray tote petite fashion blog

Speaking of this vest, I’ve been happy to hear so much great feedback from you guys about it! It’s an unexpectedly luxe find from typically preppy Abercrombie, which I don’t shop at very often. I couldn’t bring myself to when their crass CEO was in office, but now that he’s been ousted for a while and the topless models have been replaced with more sensibly-clothed (and diverse) ones, I’ve been giving their items another look. There’s definitely some interesting pieces like this navy lace dress or this cute, simple shirt dress which both come in petites.

how to style layer a black faux fur vest outfit

I borrowed this high-low hem sweater from a friend, and saw that it’s still available and very reasonably priced right now! One thing to note is the mock neck opening doesn’t have a lot of stretch, so if you have a larger head like myself, you’ll have to be careful not to mess up your hair getting it on/off over your head. I definitely wouldn’t go so far as one reviewer to say it was painful to take off (unless you have a very wide head) – just a little snug. The fit is plenty wide around your neck, so no choking feeling like with some turtlenecks. An XS is a good fit on petites overall, and the knit material has a chenille-like feel to it.

spring fall gray layers casual outfit ideas

boston south end fashion blogger spring outfits

48 thoughts on “Winter to Spring Layering: The Long and Short of It

• Jean March 3, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Yay, I'm SO happy to hear that! Might be one of my favorite boot styles ever : )

• Jean March 3, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Oh wow … I haven't worn mine very often with white underneath but in general I haven't noticed it staying any of my lighter tops. I'm sorry to hear that!

• Jean March 3, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Sorry for the late reply! It's the PM size (the GM is very large, fyi!). I use mine to shlep a lot of stuff, including laptop, and it hasn't shown signs of wear yet. But note it's a very thin and lightweight bag. I'd suggest checking it out in-person at the Barneys in Copley mall!

• Jean March 3, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Hi Cathy,
    Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I'm so happy to hear you had a good experience! Would you mind sharing the brand / style of the jacket with us? I would love to check it out too!

• Jean March 3, 2017 at 2:54 pm

Hi Sara – thank you for the wonderful suggestion! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be going on any longer trips in this current weather, but I would definitely bring a vest for layering and then a trench-style jacket for wearing over everything, from casual denim outfits to dressier dinner looks. A neutral scarf would also be on my list for unexpected chillier days. And instead of lighter tops and tees, I love a good classic striped sweater, which elevates even basic outfits a la the Parisians. Hope you have an amazing time on your trip!

• Jean March 3, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Barbara – I don't doubt that you may be right, but I have to admit I'm rather fond of the fad these past years : )

• Jean March 3, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Yes it is

• Jean March 3, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Hi Alex! I didn't do anything to these but I've used the Cadillac brand suede & leather spray (if you search on my blog I've shown it a few times and in a video too) for several other shoes and handbags. I was too eager to wear these, and you have to spray your products before wearing otherwise it might seal in dirt.