Winter to Spring Layering: The Long and Short of It

faux fur vest winter outfit layers boston fashion blog

Kensie sweater xs, Topshop jeans sz 25 x 30 (size up), old hat (similar),
Blank NYC jacket xs, Abercrombie vest xs, Goyard bag, Sam Edelman boots sz 5

I often mention outfit “formulas” on here, since having a few go-to ones will make getting dressed quicker and easier! I’m editing a new YouTube video on layering, and one of my favorite formulas discussed there is a cropped jacket over a longer top, plus one additional topper piece if it’s very cold out. For this outfit I started out with a longer tunic sweater as the base. I added warmth and texture by layering on a cropped moto jacket, plus a faux fur vest for going outdoors. The rule of thumb here is simply just to mix up the lengths – since the vest is longer, you can also tuck in the sweater to make it appear shorter in juxtaposition.

goyard st louis gray tote petite fashion blog

Speaking of this vest, I’ve been happy to hear so much great feedback from you guys about it! It’s an unexpectedly luxe find from typically preppy Abercrombie, which I don’t shop at very often. I couldn’t bring myself to when their crass CEO was in office, but now that he’s been ousted for a while and the topless models have been replaced with more sensibly-clothed (and diverse) ones, I’ve been giving their items another look. There’s definitely some interesting pieces like this navy lace dress or this cute, simple shirt dress which both come in petites.

how to style layer a black faux fur vest outfit

I borrowed this high-low hem sweater from a friend, and saw that it’s still available and very reasonably priced right now! One thing to note is the mock neck opening doesn’t have a lot of stretch, so if you have a larger head like myself, you’ll have to be careful not to mess up your hair getting it on/off over your head. I definitely wouldn’t go so far as one reviewer to say it was painful to take off (unless you have a very wide head) – just a little snug. The fit is plenty wide around your neck, so no choking feeling like with some turtlenecks. An XS is a good fit on petites overall, and the knit material has a chenille-like feel to it.

spring fall gray layers casual outfit ideas

boston south end fashion blogger spring outfits

48 thoughts on “Winter to Spring Layering: The Long and Short of It

• Kelsey Quackenbush February 20, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I love the black fur vest it is so cute!!
    Xo, Kelsey | petiteinherpearls.blogspot.com

• MizEats February 20, 2017 at 9:49 pm

These are beautiful pics! I like your tip about layering different length pieces to create not only warmth but interest. I also like how the different textures add to the monochromatic outfit. Side note, I LOVE my Sam Edelman boots …Thanks again for recommending them!

• Jessica | Petite Style Script Blog February 20, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Hi Jean, I love this layering look and how you stayed in the gray/black neutral color scheme! I also like a shorter jacket over a longer time; my current favorite is a tweed jacket that elevates any top!
    ~Jessica

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture and Lifestyle Blog February 20, 2017 at 10:57 pm

I love the black fur vest! It looks so good with the whole outfit.

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Jessica H February 20, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Both of these looks are so cute! At first I thought you had on the same thing underneath the vest and jacket and then double looked and realized – nope totally different! You created such unique looks but totally giving the same vibes in each one – I'm so impressed and in love with BOTH!!!

xo, jess

alljessedup.com

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia February 20, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Such a cute look … love the hat! 🙂

❤LA BIJOUX BELLA❤ | BY MIA | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

• Christie February 20, 2017 at 11:21 pm

I love that you didn't support Abercrombie for that reason!

• Anonymous February 20, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Hey Jean,

Quick question, does your black BlankNYC jacket ever stain the shirt you wear under? Mine stains my white t-shirts in the underarm area so I was wondering if it ever happens to anyone else. Thanks!

• Helen Veyna February 21, 2017 at 12:21 am

I love this outfit, especially that vest. I felt the same way about Abercrombie, and was totally not down with their awful former CEO and lack of diversity in their ads, but am glad they've been making some amazing changes to their advertising and designs.

-Helen
    Sweet Helen Grace

• Janinafran February 21, 2017 at 12:51 am

I love this fur vest!! Its one of my faves 🙂
    XO Janina

• Julia February 21, 2017 at 1:45 am

I haven't walked into Abercrombie in a while either, but I'm sure I would be surprised by their latest style…just like when I last walked into American Eagle and came out with a bunch of spring summer essentials, including my all-time favorite denim shirt!

Julia || Closet de Jules || Recent Post – The Perfect Spring Loafer (40% off at Nordstrom!)

• Miriam Elizabeth February 21, 2017 at 3:35 am

You look gorgeous, great post! X

Love, http://herrendezvous.com/

• Sophie Spiegelberger February 21, 2017 at 5:34 am

Love that faux fur vest!

• Georgiana February 21, 2017 at 6:50 am

I love the biker jacket! It is nice how you styled it with the fur vest to keep yourself warm 🙂

Check out my cheerful spring outfit with selfmade cape (link) or read my article about "beauty" pills (link)

• Rachael Cargin February 21, 2017 at 9:12 am

Love this look 🙂

Rachael xx.
    theteacozykitchen.blogspot.co.uk

• Ewa Macherowska February 21, 2017 at 9:23 am
  • pork & cookies February 21, 2017 at 9:58 am

Super cute outfit!! I'm a sucker for lots of black and grey that look classy.

-Kirsten // pork & cookies

• Emily February 21, 2017 at 10:39 am

You're my layering guru. I can't wait to see the video. =)

• August Harvest February 21, 2017 at 11:57 am

Love the colours! Nice combination, and I've got the same bag haha <3

'Share' by August Harvest
    Instagram

• Jenn February 21, 2017 at 12:24 pm

As always, you nailed the outfit. I love all the different layers and textures and it's perfect, since it's getting warmer in Boston this week 🙂

jennnngo | twitter | latest post

• Daneisha Smith February 21, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Cute sweater and jeans! Just plain cute all around! I love your style!

• Tega February 21, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Love the look! I look forward to the video. 🙂

• Angie February 21, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Love the outfit minus the vest. I don't think it suits your classic chic style.

• THE NEON FACTOR | Diana February 21, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Love this!! You look great.

|| D I A N A ||

• Margaret Hong February 21, 2017 at 10:08 pm

I am more on the opposite. I love to pair long coat or duster over short top hahh

xx Margaret

• STBE in Boston February 21, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Hi Jean! I love your style! I'm wondering if you are carrying the Saint Louis PM or GM? Is it sturdy enough to carry my laptop (13 inch MacBook Air) and paperwork back and forth? I'm trying to carry less in general, but usually have my laptop with me. Thank you in advance! Cindy

• Cathy February 22, 2017 at 12:56 am

Jean, you look amazing as always! I do. Love that fur vest over the top.

And just to update you, I received my first Trunk Club box today and I was so so pleased! My stylist Monica did an incredible job with the fit and though not everything was perfect, I was so impressed! I found a leather jacket that I'm keeping because it's literally to die for (and slightly over a budget I'd normally allot for something like that, but it's going to be a staple piece for sure!). Anyway, I wanted to thank you because I never would have known about it without you (like so many other great fashion and style gems!).

• Aria Di Bari February 22, 2017 at 8:56 am

I love the layering of fur and leather!

• Julie Hiller February 22, 2017 at 10:51 am

I like the idea of go-to "formulas" like this one. That's a great jacket, btw!

Style by Joules

• Kaitlin Schubert February 22, 2017 at 11:04 am

I'd say this formula is pretty perfect! Gorgeous.

Katie | Willow and White

• Josephine Ellen February 22, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I love how you added the vest over the jacket (I have the same one!)! So cute!!
    xx,
    josephine

• b. February 22, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Great vest! You are adorable!

• Sara McFarland February 22, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Jean. Love this outfit. Would be great for your packing method using staple items that can be repeated. Would love you to do another post for packing 10 days worth of outfits but for colder winter/early spring days! My hubby and I are taking a trip to Europe in early April and could use your help 🙂

• Sarah Lilly February 22, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I love both of these outfits and I love how you have styled the layering to not only be warm, but stylish too! That vest looks so good layered over that jacket and jersey!

Sarah Lilly | The Lilly Mint Blog

• Barbara M February 22, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Love you, Jean, and this is nothing against you because you are just following the fashion of the day. But I will be glad when the torn/distressed jeans fad is over. I think that most will look back at this fad and say, "What were we thinking!"

• Julia Mazzucato February 23, 2017 at 12:18 am

I love the moto jacket! You styled these looks wonderfully!
    Julia・Little Miss Haute Couture

• Ramirez February 23, 2017 at 9:17 pm

is that the goyard st louis tote?

• Minau February 24, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Great look with my faves colors!

• Emily March 1, 2017 at 6:26 am

I second this!

• Alex March 3, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Hi Jean! I bought these boots after reading this post and am wondering if you do anything specific to keep them clean? would love any tips before I put a lot of wear into them. Thank you!!!