Boston, MA // Snow Day Style in Cream, Gray + Navy

cold weather winter outfit snow boots boston

BP sweater xs, Ann Taylor hat c/o, H&M; scarf (similar or here), Talbots navy tights
J.Crew coat 00 petite + wool skirt (altered), Sperry quilted boots sz 5 c/o

Last weekend’s storm turned Boston into a real-life snow globe. Fresh powder always inspires me to pull out my winter whites, which I piled on here along with doubled-up tights and hidden thermal layers! I have a few cold-weather layering shirts from Uniqlo’s “heattech” line, and would recommend the affordable basic crew tee and turtleneck fleece tee.
jcrew lady day winter wool coat petite white
I also wanted to mention my pom pom beanie is on sale with extra 60% off, and is still available in navy, burgundy, and gray! Mine has been on heavy rotation this winter – see how I styled it here and here, just to name a few. I’ve been especially loving the navy paired with my go-to navy tights, as anchoring neutral accessories for winter outfits.
snow day winter outfit extra petite boston blog
Here in New England, “duck boots” can be found quacking at every corner whenever it precipitates. I have to admit I’m a fan of the style, although I’ve yet to try the original LL Bean ones! I thought these Sperry Saltwater boots were true to size and similar in weight & warmth to my Sorel ones (see those on me), so best for slush or light snow and not for heavy duty winter needs. They come in lots of color and material combos – here are a few others I like plus similar styles (how cute are those waterproof wedge booties?), starting at just $50:

sperry saltwater duck style rain boots preppy winter fashion
winter white wonderland snow style new england

51 thoughts on “Boston, MA // Snow Day Style in Cream, Gray + Navy

• little random happiness January 9, 2017 at 10:10 pm

These photos are so beautiful and you look lovely!

• Anonymous January 9, 2017 at 10:52 pm

What are these hidden thermals you speak of? Would love tips on how to layer to stay warm in skirts.

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture and Lifestyle Blog January 9, 2017 at 10:53 pm

So pretty! Love the pastel colours of your outfit. I wish it snowed where I live now.

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia January 9, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Beautiful scenery … Gorgeous outfit and I am loving the fabulous snow! 🙂

❤LA BIJOUX BELLA❤ | BY MIA | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

• Dedie January 9, 2017 at 11:37 pm

You're such an inspiration! <3

• Kelsey Quackenbush January 9, 2017 at 11:53 pm

I love the snow and cute outfits that are perfect for snowy days!
    Kelsey | petiteinherpearls.blogspot.com

• Anonymous January 9, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Hello, I recently discovered your blog over the holidays, and I love your creativity and style! It has inspired me to ditch some of my slightly frumpy office wear, but I am running into a problem with skirts. I have a question regarding high waisted skirts: Where do you buy them? And will a high-waisted skirt solve the problem below?

All of my skirts that sat at my hips would ride up indecently when I sat down. They would end up bagging around my natural waist. I have an hourglass shape, with an 11-inch difference between my hip and waist circumferences, so finding pants that fit is a challenge unless they are high-waisted.

Also, I would hope that a high-waisted skirt would end an inch or two above the knee, as a skirt that hits at the knee can easily look dowdy, and hitting below the knee makes me look like a child wearing her mom's power suit! (I have a slight frame.)

For reference, I am 5'4'', not exactly "petite" by most retailer sizing. But many of the rules of thumb for petites that you have mentioned on your blog also hold true for me.

Thanks so much for your help!

~An IT Auditor

• Katerina Vysokovskaya January 10, 2017 at 12:18 am

Beautiful and tender! 🙂
    I like the mood of the photo shoot! 🙂 Very cozy.

BeautyMarkLady

• Neeltje | Thoughts in Style January 10, 2017 at 2:55 am

Ah these photos are so lovely! X

• Sophie Spiegelberger January 10, 2017 at 4:04 am

Great outfit for a snowy day! I always find blushes and creams to be so chic in winter 🙂

• Rachelle Pinksole January 10, 2017 at 5:39 am

gorgeous winter look and these pics are amazing.

xo
    Pinksole

• moda aparentemente January 10, 2017 at 6:12 am

love this look 🙂

• Sophie Stewart January 10, 2017 at 6:54 am

Cute pictures! I love your coat and scarf, so pretty. Sophie x

sophiehmstewart.com

• Tynka. January 10, 2017 at 7:44 am

aww, so sweet! 🙂 love this snowy pics :*

• pumpkinmommy January 10, 2017 at 9:01 am

Yay Heattech! I live in those things (both tee and leggings) in winter. Has anyone tried the "Extra Warm" Heattech?

• Amy Moore January 10, 2017 at 9:12 am

Jean,

Love the outfit but where did you get that awesome umbrella? Thanks!

-Amy

• Anonymous January 10, 2017 at 9:31 am

Such a great look, Jean! Do you have any recommendations for chic but heavy duty winter boots for us Bostonians?

• Anonymous January 10, 2017 at 9:58 am

Jean, what a wonderful post! It truly was a magical storm in Boston! Thanks for the heattech recommendations. Uniqlo is my source for affordable cashmere, but I didn't know about this line. Also, Bass boots – a Maine/New England staple – is having a great sale online for duck boots, well all shoes actually. They have great quality footwear and an "Outlet" section of the website that frequently has a great assortment of styles in smaller sizes! I just bought a pair of buffalo plaid duck boots with shiny black rubber bottoms this morning!

Happy New Year!
    Gwen Kennedy

• Cheyanne Jordan January 10, 2017 at 11:38 am

Such a cute outfit!
    -Cheyanne

• Liz | Shopping My Closet January 10, 2017 at 11:50 am

Great snow photos!

Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com

• Jessi January 10, 2017 at 11:59 am

I love your scarf! Such a pretty color!

xoxo
    Jessi

• Rachel January 10, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Your scarf looks so warm and cozy! I love the blush pink and gray together!

-Rachel

• Tess Felber_Sequins are the New Black January 10, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Such beautiful photos!! I love how you mixed the Sperry boots with a more girly outfit, great look <3
    xx Tess | Sequins are the New Black

• Kaitlin Schubert January 10, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Super cute outfit! And the snow looks magical 🙂

Katie | WillowAndWhiteBlog.com

• Jenna Power January 10, 2017 at 3:12 pm

I have a pair of Heattech and Heattech Extra Warm leggings – the Extra Warm ones have a slightly brushed feel and are much warmer. I definitely recommend them!

• Simply Thays January 10, 2017 at 4:07 pm

You look amazing! It snowed here in Virginia and thank goodness I was able to get some cute blog photos. Kinda cold though.
    Love,
    Thays

• shivranjani rathore January 10, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Gorgeous photos. kuddos to you for braving it out in the snow.

• Sarah January 10, 2017 at 5:58 pm

You look amazing! Is it me or does this year's version of the j crew Lady day coat looks longer and more like a fuller skirt?

• affecionada January 10, 2017 at 6:50 pm

The snow also inspires me to wear white! These photos really capture what New England was like on Saturday. x

Jen | affecionada

• Anonymous January 10, 2017 at 9:32 pm

So glad that you mentioned Uniqlo. I love their heattech stuff. I have bought Uniqlo in Asia and have gotten size Medium in their tops with a nice petite fit on me. Just bought a shirt online here in the US a few months ago and was bummed that a size M on the same top I bought in Asia was huge and didn't fit right. We just got a store in my area so I'll have to learn more about US sizing. Hope you partner with Uniqlo in the future!

• Janinafran January 10, 2017 at 9:45 pm

I love the colour scheme of this outfit! So cute and girly 🙂
    XO Janina

• Olivia Sara January 10, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I love the way you styled this outfit! So chic and pretty but also warm.

• Olivia Sara January 10, 2017 at 11:07 pm

I love the way you styled this! So chic and cute but also warm.

• MizEats January 10, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Beautiful outfit and pics!

• Julie Hiller January 11, 2017 at 10:43 am

I love all the white in this winter look. You look very cute and bundled up!

Style by Joules

• Valeri January 11, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Hi Jean. I just moved from California (Silicon Valley) in October to snowy Boise, Idaho. I love it here actually and especially love your cold-weather styling tips. I was hoping that you'd showcase some items from Uniqlo and you did in this post – so awesome! I ordered several cold weather items from them and have not been disappointed. I ordered their women's lightweight down hooded coat and really like how light it is, making it so easy to pack. I get so many compliments.

Now, please recommend some gloves won't you? I've been wearing these pretty black leather gloves that you recommended awhile back, but I could use something warmer right about now. Love, Val

• Ewa Macherowska January 11, 2017 at 1:30 pm
  • Blue January 11, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I just bought the same skirt from JCrew how did you alter it, I'm 5"2 it looks perfect on you!

• anna January 12, 2017 at 4:26 am

I love this winter look. you looking very stunning and cute

• nazita January 14, 2017 at 1:08 pm

I have never tried the cream color during winter, but it's a lovely combination. Thank You Jean