• Merry and Bright // Red Coat + Buffalo Plaid Top

new england boston christmas tree farm photos

J Brand jeans, Gucci bag, Sorel boots

It’s hard to believe Christmas is less than a week away! Where did the month go? This year’s holiday will be a real treat for me as I’ll get to see some of my family from Asia, who are coming over to celebrate with Nick’s parents as well. I can’t wait to share with them some of our holiday traditions that I look forward to each year, like Nick’s mom’s beautiful tree always surrounded by dozens of poinsettias. These photos were taken back in Boston before we left town. I’m a bit bummed to miss the first big snowfall this week!
    red faux fur hood coat buffalo plaid shirt christmas
    There’s something about a red coat in winter that’s so cheery and up-lifting. There’s several similar styles out there, but this one by Maison Jules is at one of the more affordable price points I’ve seen. Over the years I’ve picked up many pieces from the brand that ended up becoming wardrobe favorites. Their styles are usually classic, with a hint of feminine flair. I recently partnered with them on a series of holiday style videos, and wanted to share some other petite-friendly finds discovered in the process!
    holiday red duffel coat faux fur hood extra petite
    I’m wearing this coat in size xxs without alterations. The only area that might need adjustments on petites is the sleeve length, since this is in regular sizing. The coat is medium-weight, and cut in a straighter style with some room to layer underneath. I like that the faux fur trimmed hood is fully removable, for when you want a simpler silhouette!
    maison jules buffalo plaid shirt jbrand alana jeans
    This button-up top (also love the black & white) is a pretty variation on the popular buffalo plaid shirt, with smaller scaled checks and a delicate ruffle in the front. It’s also easy to style for the office, tucked into a black or red pencil or A-line skirt and paired with tights and pumps. The xxs is pretty slim fit on me throughout the torso and sleeves.
    new england christmas holiday photos extra petite blog
    This lace print sweater and embellished collared blouse (love the blush) are other work-appropriate piece that can be worn either untucked with pants, or tucked into skirts. And in the dresses department, I love this lace-trim A-line dress which fits me closely like a glove in size xxs right off the rack.

Since these videos were filmed in advance, please note I’m wearing sample size pieces in them which were tailored to fit. However, I made sure to try on each piece in my usual size after they became available, and the ones mentioned in this post fit even better on me off the rack. I hope you enjoy the holiday videos!

For our other collaborative videos, see 5 Ways to Shimmer & Chic Holiday Gifts. Thank you to Maison Jules at Macy’s for partnering on this post!

32 thoughts on “Merry and Bright // Red Coat + Buffalo Plaid Top

• Kelsey Quackenbush December 18, 2016 at 8:10 pm

I love this jacket and this top is gorgeous I love it!
      Kelsey | petiteinherpearls.blogspot.com

• Sar1212 December 18, 2016 at 8:26 pm

What size coat are you wearing?

• kimluong December 18, 2016 at 8:27 pm

How do you tuck in your shirt in your high waisted jeans?

• Cam Nguyen December 18, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Love that fringe skirt from the video, can you please tell me what size you are wearing for references. Thank you.

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture and Lifestyle Blog December 18, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I love everything! So red and festive, it's so cute how your outfit matches the Starbucks cup!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• affecionada December 18, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Love this look and these photos!

Jen | affecionada

• Neeltje | Thoughts in Style December 19, 2016 at 1:43 am
    • fabi Aguilar December 19, 2016 at 4:57 am

Lovely coat and look!!

Maison Jules <3

• Rachelle Pinksole December 19, 2016 at 6:27 am

You look adorable, love this furry coat.

xo
      Pinksole

• angie December 19, 2016 at 7:00 am

Love this!
      I am fairly new to your blog, do you have a post or video on how you get your curls? I love your hair!

• Anonymous December 19, 2016 at 9:31 am

Hi Jean… Where can we find your smaller Maison Jules sizes? In a few of your posts you have referenced Macy's as the purchase point, but they never stock an XXS online (or a 0 or 00 in a previous dress post). Any suggestions on how to get the special sizes they provide to you? Thanks so much! Beautiful styling, as always!

• Julie Hiller December 19, 2016 at 10:40 am

Fun video! I love the coat–that fur hood lining is really pretty!

Style by Joules

• Kaitlin Schubert December 19, 2016 at 10:45 am

So cute! I love a red coat, as opposed to black.

Katie | WillowAndWhiteBlog.com

• Jean December 19, 2016 at 11:45 am

Size xxs

• Jean December 19, 2016 at 11:45 am

I just tuck the front half in!

• Jean December 19, 2016 at 11:46 am

Thanks! I have the size xxs.

• Jean December 19, 2016 at 11:49 am

Hi there – thank you for your kind comment! So once a size is sold out at Macy's online, they remove it from the website so it oftentimes looks like it was never even there.

It's not a special size provided just for me – sometimes I order MJ pieces myself off the Macy's website and occasionally I have had luck finding xxs at my local Macy's store. Usually when I publish a blog post, my size is still available, but perhaps they don't make a lot of that size because it usually appears sold out in a few hours : / I'll have to share feedback with them to please make more of the smaller sizes!

• mybeautrip December 19, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Such a beautiful red coat!
      xx

• Anonymous December 19, 2016 at 2:17 pm

You look great in whatever you wear and i love this read coat on you. I wish i had a body even close to yours.
      You have been my fashion guru since a while now.
      I am looking for a deep wine color thin material tunic sweater to go with leggings, do you have anything in mind?

• Maggie Zemanek December 19, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I'm loving your red coat!! Super cute 🙂

• Polly December 19, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Love your red coat and fur hood! I also have a similar pair of Sorel boots! 🙂

Polly

• Ewa Macherowska December 19, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Nice post dear 🙂

• DressedToCode December 19, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I love that the fur is removable! It would allow me to consider a fur-trimmed coat.

• Jessica H December 19, 2016 at 7:23 pm

This look is so sweet Jean. Its festive and simple but so cute and darling and it literally put a little pep in my step just now! You are so cute and I'm so glad I found your blog!

xo, jess
      alljessedup.com

• l.uhm December 19, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Loving how you've been posting so many nice pics of both you and Nick lately! So fun to see you both enjoying Christmas together!! I liked the "daily shenanigans" video on Facebook as well. I was surprised to see how simple and quick your photo shoots appear. Maybe they're more involved and time consuming in real life though. But still fun to watch!! Merry Christmas!!

• Mei December 20, 2016 at 2:21 am

Cute video! Love the MJ outfit ideas, eager to check out their collection next time I stop by Macys. Hope you and Nick are having an amazing time on your vacation!

Mei
      Pieces of Mei

• Krissy McNeill December 20, 2016 at 7:48 am

SO cute, love the color so much!!
      xx krissy // http://www.champagneinchurch.com

• Anonymous December 20, 2016 at 10:40 am

Ah… thank you!! I didn't realize the Macy's site functioned that way. I suspect it's a testament to your loyal blog readers that they sell out so fast! 🙂 Happy holidays to you and Nick!

• Gabrielle Crystal RoseBonniee December 20, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Oh my, that coat suits you so much! Lovely photos! ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ

* How to be Parisian chic *

• THE NEON FACTOR | Diana December 20, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Loving your coat!!
      || D I A N A ||

• Anonymous December 21, 2016 at 12:22 am

I really love your style. I love that the outfits are affordable and you reuse pieces to create different outfits. I'm new to your blog and I'm loving it. P.S. I just ordered the button-up top. Keep up the good work.

• kariiv December 24, 2016 at 10:00 am

Jean, congrats on your venture on becoming a full-time blogger. I've been a long time follower of your blog and I've always appreciated your thorough, detailed, and honest reviews. This aspect of your posts really set you apart from other bloggers. However, I must admit I was very disappointed after receiving my boohoo wrap jacket as the cut of the shoulder arm area was completely off (uncomfortable as well) and I can't imagine you would have found that acceptable. But this was not noted at all in your review. I hope I just received a dude and can continue to trust your reviews. Along with your reviews, it would be much appreciated if you can also consistently comment on how items fair in the wash (as that's the true testament to the quality and the longevity of a piece) so I can decide if it's worth spending my hard earned money on.