Shanghai with Lancôme

shanghai skyline penninsula hotel rooftop bar

Shanghai skyline at sunset // ASOS skirt 00p + AT sweater c/o

Last month we went on a whirlwind trip to Shanghai with Lancôme, a brand that’s been part of my beauty routine for many years now. It’s a pinch-me opportunity to work with brands that I love, and this project was all the more special as it took us back to the country where I was born. This was my first time back in Shanghai since visiting with my grandparents as a child, and I was so excited that Nick could join! On the flight over he was anxiously practicing his Chinese – mostly phrases to order his favorite local dishes like xiao long bao (soup dumplings) and hong shao rou (pork belly), of course ; )

shanghai china breakfast renaissance hotel

delicious breakfast (fresh soy milk, tea egg, sticky rice, congee, dragonfruit) with a view

Our trip to Shanghai was a reminder to me of how important a good skincare routine is. The hours on a plane, the long work days, and especially the hot, humid weather followed by harsh air conditioning can take a toll on one’s skin. The weather in Shanghai made it all the more impressive how good everyone’s skin looked around the city. But it makes sense, as many women in Asia really focus on skincare starting at a young age, and makeup often comes only secondary to that.

lancome genefique nighttime skincare routine

I can’t say I thought about skincare much in my early 20’s, but now I know it’s never too early nor late to start. I worked closely with Lancôme to shoot a campaign for their Chinese market, modeled after my everyday skin issues and spotlighting their Génifique serum.

I came to learn that Génifique is a household name in Asia. When I mentioned the product to my relatives from my younger cousin to older aunts, they each adoringly referred to it as “oooh, the little black bottle!” This serum is their best-seller amongst skincare, and with consistent use, is formulated to restore radiance and smoothness to your skin while fighting those pesky fine lines and dry patches.

lancome genifique anti aging serum

For those who don’t typically use serum, it should be applied twice a day in the morning and at night, after washing and toning but prior to putting on any sunscreen and moisturizer. A serum like Génifique should be the first layer of product that touches your skin after cleansing. To apply, I use the topper to drop one pump of serum into my hands, then pat it gently but firmly all over my face and neck. It has a cool, gel-like feel upon first contact and absorbs quickly into your skin.

lancome genifique anti aging skincare serum

While in Shanghai we were also invited to do a street-style fashion shoot with Lancôme x Grazia magazine along historic Wukang Road. This is located in the former French concession area of the city, where it was interesting seeing the mix of Eastern and Western influences in the neighborhood. Our shoot actually turned out to be quite the snacking tour, as there were popular bakeries and creameries along the path, and we couldn’t resist getting treats at each stop!

wukang road flower shop shanghai

picking up fresh flowers at this cute shop // JOA dress sz xs (Target version)

shanghai lancome photoshoot coffee shop

munching on a croissant between shoots

shanghai waterfront the bund skyline

strolling along the Bund // ASOS skirt, TL sunglasses, SM shoes

“The Bund” is the area along the waterfront and a rather popular destination for visitors. We walked along the river, then moseyed over to a rooftop bar (Sir Elly’s) to watch the colorful sunset from higher up. I didn’t expect the Shanghai skyline to be so futuristic! Nick’s favorite building is what he dubbed the “beer bottle opener” to the upper right of my head here.

travel packing suitcase basics_steamline luggage pink trunk

Our trip was a short one, but filled with amazing people and teams who truly made us feel welcome. We can’t wait to go back sometime, as there were so many places we wanted to explore (and eat at!) that we didn’t get to this time around.

Thank you to Lancôme for partnering on this post!

37 thoughts on “Shanghai with Lancôme

• Valeri September 5, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Jean. I was just there in Shanghai for the first time in my life just two years ago. I can't wait to return for a longer trip.

• Diana September 5, 2016 at 10:11 pm

I've tried the Lancome Genifique serum recently and it made my skin feel so nice. Loving this post, Jean!

Diana | http://www.thechicdiary.com

• Jin Fu September 5, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Cannot wait to try the 小黑瓶! My friends have really positive feedback on this product as well. You are such a cute couple!!

xx, Chloe // http://stylebychloe.com

• Keri H September 5, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Aww looks like a lovely little trip 🙂 I've always wanted to go there!

Enclothed Cognition

• Meghan September 6, 2016 at 3:15 am

I hope you had fun in Shanghai. Loved your cute blue floral dress.

Meghan | BeyondBasicBlog.com

• Shruti Chawla September 6, 2016 at 6:55 am

Your pictures are gorgeous and you look cute in that off-shoulder dress 🙂

• Joyce TeawithMD September 6, 2016 at 7:44 am

Looks so fun Jean! The photos are gorgeous. I just wanted to add that serum basically functions as a concentrated hydration boost packed with nutrients for the skin. For ladies with really oily skin it can be good to use just at night rather than twice daily under moisturizer.

Xo
    Joyce
    A dermatologist's guide to health and beauty!

• Alexa Johnson September 6, 2016 at 9:54 am

Love the looks!

• Ev September 6, 2016 at 1:48 pm

OMG such a beautiful place!

• Franziska September 6, 2016 at 2:31 pm

I didn't realize you were born in Shanghai! What an amazing opportunity for you and Nick, despite the $ issues 😉

• Katherine Huang September 6, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Love Shanghai! Just returned home from living there for 7 months. FYI – Nick's favorite building is known as the "bottle opener" building.

• Aïchatou Bella Sakho September 6, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Your skin is just flawless! Love the images.

xo,

Aïchatou Bella

• Daria Lukianchuk September 7, 2016 at 3:04 am

your suitcase is soooo cute <3

My blog

• Nisha September 7, 2016 at 5:46 am

What a glowing face and what set of beautiful dresses.

You are amazing at enhancing beauty of any dressing style. I really admire you.

Thanks

• Maggie Zemanek September 7, 2016 at 9:58 am

Wow what an amazing opportunity!! Love your looks 🙂

• zhiyan September 7, 2016 at 11:52 am

Love this post. Thanks for sharing. I just went back Shanghai visit this April and had great time as well. I wonder if you could do a hair tutorial for your everyday hair styling? 🙂

• Rosa Fairfield September 7, 2016 at 12:00 pm

It looks like a dream and makes me want to do more travelling. I love all of your outfits.

• Julie Hiller September 7, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Loving the striped skirt and that JOA dress! You look gorgeous in it!

Lifestyle by Joules

• Deasy Noel September 7, 2016 at 12:35 pm

How seriously lovely! I have not tried Genefique but I've been wanting to try serums for a while now, and yet was overwhelmed with what to get. Will have to try this then, if it's such a household name in China :3

• Sharon Wu of Style Lullaby September 7, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Looks like you had a blast! Your skin is perfect <3 xo, sharon

• Kim September 7, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Love the photos, and congratulations on the commercial shoot!!! What a cool opportunity! Love watching this blog grow. Will check out genifique!

• Julia Mazzucato September 7, 2016 at 8:38 pm

I loved seeing your snaps from the trip. Your outfits are gorgeous, especially that JOA dress! Thanks for the link to the Target version as well (gotta love that student budget 😉
    Julia // Little Miss Haute Couture

• amwfashion September 8, 2016 at 1:46 am

Looking Amazing!!!
    My Fashion Blog:AMWFashion

• Sera Yue September 8, 2016 at 2:10 am

Wow. I live in Shanghai. And I used to live in the States. I've been following your blog for years. I would have tried to met you in person if I knew you were in SHG.

• Jean September 8, 2016 at 4:43 am

I was born in another city actually but in China : ) So good seeing you this past week!

• Jean September 8, 2016 at 4:44 am

Haha okay we feel a little silly now! I had no idea, but he's rather pleased to hear that.

• Jean September 8, 2016 at 4:44 am

Aw thank you! Regarding my everyday hairstyling, if you go to my YouTube channel it's one of my last few videos from about half a year ago.

• Jean September 8, 2016 at 4:46 am

Thank you for your support, Kim! I owe such opportunities to the amazing ladies who read this blog : )

• Anonymous September 9, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Hey Jean! I will be vacationing in the Carribeans soon. That means a lot of beach time! Which I am definitely not complaining about at all:) I am looking for beach wraps or Sarongs that fit petite ladies and you have posted a few options in the past. Everything I've found fits taller more curvier women. Can you direct me to sites or places I can find one that is shorter in length. Thank you. And Sorry! Kind of random question as it does not relate to this post or recent ones at all.

• affecionada September 10, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I was wondering what was going on when you were snapping it all! Congratulations, Jean! What an amazing opportunity!

Jen | affecionada

• Cassandra @ AyeMiLady September 11, 2016 at 4:14 pm

That is so cool you've been able to partner with Lancome! Did you approach them about partnering?

• Weier Wan September 12, 2016 at 2:26 am

Such an edgy look … Cool and creatively beautiful! 🙂
    My Fashion Blog:AMWFashion

• Jean September 12, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Hi Sera! So nice to hear from you – perhaps we'll have a chance to cross paths in the future : )

• Jean September 12, 2016 at 12:46 pm

How fun! Actually I find beach wraps to be fairly forgiving in terms of sizing…most brands don't make petite sizing in those but due to the wrap nature, you should be able to tie it to fit your figure (I often use just a large lightweight rectangular scarf!). ASOS does make beach cover ups in petite sizing though, so perhaps check that out in addition to their short length cover-ups in regular sizing. Ella Moss and Trinka Turk also make some caftans and cover-ups that are mini in length on the models, so might fit shorter women well. Hope you enjoy your vacation!

• Jean September 12, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Hi Cassandra – thank you! They did, which I was very grateful about.

• Elizabeth September 13, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Hi Jean!

Have you lightened your hair? I love the color!!

Love your posts and snapchat stories documenting your fun days 🙂

• syney kitty September 16, 2016 at 1:17 am

Hi Jean,
    Beautiful pics as usual. By the way where did you buy your sandals?