I can't stop "living in" these Zella leggings from the Anniversary sale! As mentioned before, aside from having to hem off a few inches, these are a very flattering fit and I especially like the mid-rise. The material feels comfortable and breathable to run or lounge around in, and is sturdy and not at all sheer. Btw for those looking to customize Nike Roshe One sneakers online (which is what I did for this pair), they now have a rose gold option for the swoosh...swoon!!
North Face Apex Bionic 2 jacket ($40 off!) sz S
From my last post with my husband, it sounds like several of you have men in your lives interested in some occasional shopping (or, you just do all the shopping for them ; ). For the guys in my family, clothing is more about comfort and functionality over style, but I keep telling them nothing really has to be sacrificed! I noticed a few of Nick's wardrobe favorites are part of the Nordstrom Anniversary sale at great prices, so below are a few "tried and true" pieces that also make great gifts:
1. North Face Apex Bionic 2 jacket (also in tall) - a windproof, water-resistant, lightweight shell jacket. The weight of this is suited for spring through fall in most climates. This can be an outermost "weatherproof" layer for outfits ranging from super casual to dressy, and you can build up warmth by layering underneath. Nick is 5'9" and owns a size S. Other noteworthy North Face mens pieces on sale, with good reviews: the Venture waterproof packable rain jacket (under $70) and the TKA Glacier zip fleece pullover (under $40).
2. Threads for Thought trim fit hoodie, under $33 - a nice basic hoodie with soft fleece lining ("suuper cozy!" in my husband's words, as he smothered himself in it). The fit is "trim" through the torso and sleeves, which could make the small difference between a scrubby sweatshirt confined to lounging at home vs. one you can don on a more regular basis. Nick has the size S in heather gray and heather black. We didn't realize this at the time of purchase, but this brand is big on socially-responsible manufacturing and using eco-friendly and sustainable materials.
3. Sperry Gold Cup boat shoes ($50 off) - these are easily one of Nick's favorite pairs of shoes and have lasted years. The blue is a darker, navy-gray color that ages well with wear. Sperry's gold cup line is supposedly a premium version of their original boat shoes (also on sale, for under $70), with more supple leather and attention to detailing. For guys who want to wear running sneaks or flip flops everywhere, boat shoes are an easy, comfortable integration for something that looks a little more polished ("these feel like slippers!" - my brother, after I forced his first "grownup" shoes upon him).
4. Ted Baker sweatshirt cardigan (over $60 off) - I literally have to wrestle this off my husband in order to wash it every so often, he's that attached to it! His office allows sweats and hoodies (and has a keg, and vending machines that dispense alcohol...but that's another story), but a silhouette like this just looks more put-together, especially for client meetings. Comfort is not sacrificed as this is made of a part sweater, part sweatshirt material with little details like buttoned pockets. Ted Baker sizing is a little odd, but Nick wears a size 2 / small.
A few other suggestions from the Men's #Nsale selection:
- For delicate pieces like the Ted Baker cardigan, I put them in the hand wash cycle inside this wash bag (love the roomy size), which lets water flow easily yet protects the garment. I usually use The Laundress delicates wash but recently got the Nordstrom version, which is less than half the price ($7 vs $17 for the smaller 16 oz size) and comes in a fragrance-free version. After washing, make sure to lay sweaters flat on a mesh drying rack and avoid the machine dryer!
- For guys who need to dress more formally: one of Allen Edmund's most popular shoe styles is included at nearly $150 off, and Ferragamo's signature reversible belt is part of the sale at $85 off.
- Cedar shoe trees - these are included in each year's Anniversary sale, and are a must for guys who care about their shoes. Absorbs moisture, check. Absorbs yucky odors, check. Keeps the shoe shapely, check. These appear to be very well made with an expandable toe width and a "spring-to-fit length" mechanism. Nick has both Med and Large shoe trees for his size 10.5-11 shoes, depending on how snug he wants the trees to fit inside. I've heard these are made by the same company as the Allen Edmunds shoe trees but are half the price.
- Sperry chambray sneakers - An "adult Vans," as perfectly put by a reviewer.
- Steve Madden boots - These look like a classic chukka boot, which Nick usually lives in during Spring and Fall.
Ending this post with some gems I found on my camera, courtesy of my husband who apparently turns into a 12-year old when he has to be in front of the lens...