Happy first day of Summer! With the onset of this season comes the "joys" of swimwear shopping, but hopefully this post will help. I've rounded up my top favorite places to shop for swimwear of all different types (1 or 2 pieces, less vs. full-coverage, trendy, retro, etc) and price points, and several of these shops have free shipping and return ship for ease of try-ons. These photos were taken by my favorite pool in Boston at the Colonnade Hotel rooftop - it's a gem right in our neighborhood where I can have water to lounge by amidst a busy city setting!
how cute is this Target crab towel?
1. ASOS is one of my favorite places to look due to their huge range of sizing, ranging from 00/30A to 42G and lots of extended bra cup sizes, even for small bands. I also love that they make the same patterns in multiple cuts for mixing & matching, so you can order what you feel best in! For example, this seersucker striped fabric comes in my bandeau bow top, an underwire top, high-waisted bottoms for those who like to munch by the beach/pool, Brazilian bottoms for the bolder ladies, as well as hipster bikini bottoms. From my experiences, here's a few things to be aware of when shopping their swimwear:
- sizing on their in-house "Asos" brand tends to run small
- bum coverage is much more minimal compared to that of American brands
- some items like their 1-pieces don't have bra cup padding so I've had to add my own
- bottoms and 1-pieces with a higher-waistline may be harder to fit, because sometimes the elastic at the narrow waist area won't stretch enough to slide on over your hips.
I'm wearing size US 2 in both pieces here and the top still feels a bit snug on me. The compression did lend to a push-up effect though, which I'll take! Both pieces feel good quality for the price, plus ASOS has free shipping (or very low free ship minimums) for a variety of international countries, and free return shipping.
2. Revolve is where I go to look for chic, on-trend pieces from more contemporary brands. They have slightly higher-end items like these pretty suits from Mara Hoffman or Nanette Lepore (love both of their gorgeous prints!) as well as affordable ones like this eye-catching black bikini set for under $60. They also have quick, free shipping & free return shipping at any price. I'll mention Shopbop here too as they carry a lot of the same brands as Revolve, and also with free expedited shipping & return shipping on all orders! P.S. Even though neither of these stores actively advertise price-matching, the customer service teams at both have kindly granted price matches when I've found an item I purchased elsewhere for less.
3. Modcloth - if you're a fellow fan of swimwear with tummy coverage, Modcloth has a big selection of such given their focus on retro-inspired fashion...and I guess that's what was popular in the olden days. They also carry many designs with solutions for common trouble areas, like flattering ruching or crossover details at the tummy.
4. Nordstrom - one of my favorite places to shop in general for their awesome customer service and everyday free ship/returns. They carry a lot of Topshop swim which typically runs small and is small-bust friendly, like this floral suit on sale. Their selection ranges from affordable juniors brands to higher end, and some more unique-looking brands like Robin Piccone (I'm loving the look of their crochet pieces, but haven't yet tried!).
5. LOFT - they are having a big 60% off summer essentials promo right now, including swimwear & cover-ups! I love my 1-piece from this post (if any of you got that suit, let me know how you like it!) - it was fully lined with removable bust cups, and ran a little small/short which ended up fitting me well. And if you like tankinis, they have several options including this cute batik printed one (the 1 review mentions it fit tightly).
Honorable Mention: Anthropologie - they always have such cute and unique clothes, but pretty much never have free shipping (come on, Anthro! I'd shop with you so much more often...) and certainly not free return shipping. My favorite from their current selection is this bordered halter 1-piece (with removable pads, lining, good tush coverage), and they also offer a mid-rise bottom in several prints, for those who want something in-between the typical low and high rises.
What are your favorite places and brands to shop at for swimwear?