NYE party makeup tutorial // Bronze smoldery eyes

holiday nye party makeup tutorial sequins smokey eyes

Dress the Population Zoe dress XS in “antique gold,” plunge front bra (cups run small)

For today’s beauty post I’m sharing a more amped up holiday party look with Sephora, which will be perfect for New Year’s Eve parties! It’s a little dramatic for daytime wear but looks great for a night out and is long-lasting based on the products used. Rather than my usual festive red lip, I went with a more neutral shade to accompany dark bronze smoldery eyes. Sidenote on this sequin dress (here’s a similar pretty option w/ higher neckline) – I thought it was a smashing style but wasn’t planning on keeping it due to the scandalous super plunge neckline on me. Turns out the V-neck is very easy to stitch up a little by hand to a point you’re comfortable with, so I closed it up here about 1 inch. The dress is high quality with thick & sturdy material which helps “hold” everything in, and an XS fit me well.

sephora NYE holiday makeup tutorial

Here’s the products I used for today’s look…there’s some longtime favorites, and also a few new discoveries I’ve been enjoying. A gift idea I love for beauty-loving friends is to pick a few of your favorite products or palettes and package in a cute, functional makeup bag. I thought this pebbled clutch-sized one (comes in 2 colors) was adorable and can fit quite a bit! Alright, let’s get started…

asian holiday party makeup tutorial

Bare faced here, with problem areas including undereye circles and splotchy skin

nars radiant creamy concealer custard asian makeup

NARS’ radiant creamy concealer in “Custard”

Concealer. This NARS concealer is one of my current top favorite products, which came highly recommended to me by a makeup artist. A little really goes a long way, so even my travel-sized tube has lasted me for some time. The formula is very creamy and brightening with good coverage, and blends seamlessly into my skin without looking cakey. You can already see a big difference compared to the bare faced shot. For everyday makeup, I can usually just apply this to my problem areas and skip foundation if I’m running short on time.

While concealer shopping, I was told on more than one occasion by SAs that I should apply eye cream before makeup due to a visibly dry undereye area…yikes! I don’t have a go-to one so would love any recommendations!

laura mercier flawless fluide asian foundation

Laura Mercier Flawless Fluide in “Linen”

Foundation. I usually dot on foundation with my fingers then buff lightly using a brush in a circular manner. My skin started getting too dry for my favorite powder foundation (MUFE duo mat) so I went back to liquids. I’ve been toggling between using Bobbi Brown moisture rich and Laura Mercier Flawless Fluide, and sometimes mix the two. I’m not a fan of the Flawless Fluide packaging which gets a little messy by the opening, yet still repurchased just due to the dewy, natural-looking finish and great color match on my skin.

Online reviews for most foundations tend to be all over the place, which is understandable since everyone’s skin is different, and how you apply the product can make a big difference. My best suggestion for finding a good foundation is to go into a store and consult a makeup artist, then ask for samples to try back at home!

anastasia contour tutorial asian makeup

Anastasia powder contour palette (also in a cream formula) in “light/medium”

Contour (optional). I’m using my Anastasia contour palette, but you can also use a matte bronzer. I suck in my cheeks and apply an initial streak along the hollows that appear, then draw that color out both upwards (scooping from my temples to around my upper cheekbone) as well as down along the chin at an angle.

anastasia nose contouring asian makeup

For the nose, I use an eyeshadow brush to lightly draw two light lines from each brow down to my nostrils, then blend outwards away from the center.

bare minerals warmth bronzer color asian skin

Face Color. I’ve gone back to one of my favorite products back when I just started using makeup – good ole’ BareMinerals “Warmth.” I swear, a little goes far so you’ll never run out of this, and I don’t see mineral powder going bad. Make sure to tap just the smallest amount onto the lid then swirl with a light and fluffy brush, tapping off the excess. I go a little heavier at the apples of my cheeks, then do a light dusting over the rest of my face and down the neck.

Eyshadow. Be sure to prime your lids for a smokey eye look since it will make a notable difference in the pigmentation and staying power of your shadows. I’m using my everyday staple Laura Mercier caviar eye stick as a base color. I can’t live without this thing! A few tips to get the best application: a room-temperature stick will swipe on more fluidly than a cold stick (If needed, I usually warm mine up in my back pocket or bra real quick), and if you want a smoldery line, you have to blend immediately with fingers after applying to your eyelid, otherwise the creamy formula will set.

laura mercier caviar eye shadow stick khaki asian eyes

Urban Decay eyeshadow primer, Laura Mercier caviar eye stick in “Khaki”

You can actually continue layering the caviar stick for a full smokey eye, but I wanted to add more dimension and a little more shimmer for the holidays. I patted on a dark taupe eyeshadow (UD Darkhorse) to the outer uppers of my lids, and then a lighter copper brown (UD Half Baked) on the inner corners to brighten up that area. Next, use a small fluffy blending brush and sweep outwards to blend. Lastly, I applied a little black shadow (UD Creep) to the outer corners of my eyes for some smolder.

urban decay naked palette smokey eye

Eyeliner. I love a clean, dark black wing-tipped line to really make the eyes pop. I’m using Stila Stay All Day liner and also love Lorac Front of the Line.

Fill in brows. My brows are the bane of my existence – as you can see from all the pics above, they’re coarse, spotty, and grow in all different directions. I’ve yet to find a good brow person in Boston that makes them look any better. I filled them in here with medium brown eyeshadow, and would love to hear any favorite products from those with similar troublesome brows!

sephora-holiday-makeup eyeliner

Stila Stay All Day liner in Black, Too Faced Better than Sex mascara

Mascara. I mentioned back in this post my eyelash extensions experience, but I haven’t gotten refills in a while so they’re a little sparse. Typically you should not curl your lashes nor need to apply mascara with extensions on. I’m using Too Faced mascara here which came with one of my eye palettes. I’ve asked several ladies with amazing lashes what their secret is, and the answer has often been this mascara!

holiday asian smokey eye makeup sequin dress

Lipcolor: Ever since my beloved MAC Charismatic lipstick got discontinued, I’ve been shopping around for similar, reddish-brown neutral shades that flatter my skin tone. This Smashbox lipstick in “Cognac” is pretty close, with less orangey tones than Charismatic. The formula is creamy and easy to glide on my usually dry lips. I resisted a bolder lip since I went heavy on the eyes here, but think a berry would also be pretty!

Summary of products used, in order of application:
Concealer: NARS’ radiant creamy concealer in “Custard”
Foundation: Laura Mercier Flawless Fluide in “Linen”
Contour: Anastasia contour palette in “light/medium”
Blush/bronzer: BareMinerals in “Warmth”
Eyeshadow primer: Urban Decay
Eye colors: Laura Mercier caviar eye stick in “Khaki,” Urban Decay Naked palette
Eyeliner: Stila Stay All Day in Black
Mascara: Too Faced Better than Sex
Lip color: Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in “Cognac”
Thank you Sephora for partnering on this post!

94 thoughts on “NYE party makeup tutorial // Bronze smoldery eyes

• Deasy Noel December 15, 2015 at 12:21 am

I love that dress on you! The plunging neckline took me by surprise but in a good way, haha. Nice tip on the sewing. And thanks for mentioning all your favorite beauty products / tips.

• Bella B December 15, 2015 at 12:31 am

Ahhh You look so stunning I love everything that dress is so cute!

• Anonymous December 15, 2015 at 12:45 am

Can you do a you tube tutorial?

• prudence yeo December 15, 2015 at 12:49 am

Love your stunning make-up look, it will be so perfect for a night event with that glamorous sequin dress!Thanks for sharing!

Prudence

• Pr3tty* Knitty~ December 15, 2015 at 12:52 am

you look stunning!!! <3

• Jenny Nguyen December 15, 2015 at 12:53 am

Which bra are you wearing with that dress? And my favorite Mac lipstick is "twig" which is similar looking to the one you're wearing

• Jean December 15, 2015 at 12:58 am

I tried but it didn't come out b/c my camera kept going out of focus : / I'll give it another shot sometime but it might be a little while!

• Jean December 15, 2015 at 12:59 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm wearing a plunge front bra which I linked right below the first picture : )

• Anonymous December 15, 2015 at 1:28 am

I have the same brow troubles, but my hair is even more thinned out! I found NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder in black/gray surprisingly effective and easy to use for being so inexpensive/drugstore material. 🙂

• Petite and So What December 15, 2015 at 1:42 am

In love with your dress!
    And thank you for your make-up tuto! It's awesome! <3
    Have a nice day

Petite and So What?

• Jen December 15, 2015 at 1:50 am

Try Anastasia brow wiz or dip brow!

• T Bui December 15, 2015 at 2:04 am

You look stunning in that dress. Thank you for the tutorial

• Sasa Zoe December 15, 2015 at 2:16 am

Great tutorial! Perfect for NYE:P

Shall We Sasa

• Taramixandmatch December 15, 2015 at 6:08 am

You look stunning Jean, that dress is amazing on you!

• Mao Lee December 15, 2015 at 7:25 am

Hi Jean, you should try YSL's eye creams. They have two, one for firming and the other for dark circles. My friend, who is a YSL sale associate, gave me a sample of each to try and I like them bc they are not thick and easy to apply. The only thing is, it doesn't keep your skin firm for a long time and you will have to reapply. Another eye cream that I've tried in the past with a sale associate and absolutely love is by Freeze 24-7. Now that's a true miracle eye cream! I saw the difference instantly and it lasted quite a while. I love that entire line – exfoliator, face wash, lotion, eye cream, etc. The lady sat me down, took off my make up and washed my face using all the products. Too bad I didn't purchase anything bc everything was out of my budget at the time (I was still in law school in Tampa and couldn't splurge). Nordstrom sells it but not all Nordstroms have the product in the store. My only regret was not asking for a sample to take home bc the one time application won me over. If your Nordstrom carries it in the store, you should ask for a sample and give your review on it. Would love to hear your experience.

Love the look by the way. Gorgeous & classy as always.

• Anonymous December 15, 2015 at 8:39 am

Hi! Love seeing Asian women makeup tutorials, it took me so long to figure out eye makeup because Asian eyes are not like white people eyes lol…any chance you have done others? Could you make a master list or something? You look so lovely!

• Grace December 15, 2015 at 9:11 am

Jean, you look so great! I'm hoping your tutorial can help my feeble makeup skills. One question: what color is that dress? The color you're wearing doesn't look like it's currently available through Nordstrom. Hope you continue to have a fantastic holiday season!

• Maggie Zemanek December 15, 2015 at 9:12 am

Gorgeous!! I love the products you recommended and the step by step process. Great post 🙂

• Karen December 15, 2015 at 9:25 am

Kiehl's under eye creams are always a good choice, but on the thicker side, if you don't mind that. As for brow products, I like the Hourglass Brow Pencil and Anastasia Clear Brow Gel!

• Lauren {Stylized Existence} December 15, 2015 at 9:28 am

The best brow product I have found (suggested by my best friend who is a MUA) is Anastasia DIPBROW. I'd imagine ash brown might be the right color.

• Unknown December 15, 2015 at 9:59 am

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. If you need a great brow person in Boston Jill at Bow and Arrow has saved my eyebrows (which I always hated!) http://bowandarrowcollective.com/ I still have some patchy spots from over-plucking back in the day, and use Salma Hayeks brown brow kit, which I love. I have heard great things about Jane Iredeles eyebrow gel – you should check out Follain in Boston (two locations) to test it. All of their products are non-toxic! – Aileen

• Jessica December 15, 2015 at 10:31 am

I've been using Cereve eye cream since I was 25. For the sequin dress, I read the reviews and numerous shoppers complained about the scratchy sequins rubbing against their underarm area… What are your thoughts to mitigate this?

• Erica Kato December 15, 2015 at 10:57 am

Jean! You look amazing! Do you happen to know which color that dress is? I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on that dress for weeks, but didn't know which color to get!

Thanks! & Happy Holidays!

EK

• Melissa L. December 15, 2015 at 10:58 am

Thank you so much for sharing, I love this! So helpful! And you look beautiful!

• Diana December 15, 2015 at 11:10 am

I've recently been using It Cosmetics CC cream and it's wonderful! I've also heard great things about their celebration foundation. I just got Honest Beauty's Brow filler and it's great so far! I love this make up look! I think my next purchase will be the Laura Mercier caviar eye stick. Wow!

• Esraa Bassiouny December 15, 2015 at 11:11 am

Waw, such an amazing dress, love it, also the makeup it is so simple yet stunning.

• Julia (yaya) December 15, 2015 at 11:17 am

Wow, thank you for another detailed tutorials of how you apply makeup! I just placed an order of the Nautica pajama after seeing it on you from last post. Lol. I am busy mom, especially during the holiday season. Will definitely fine time to read your makeup tutorial in details! Just want to leave quick comment despite my busy schedule. A little something is better than nothing. Want to show my appreciation! 🙂

• Unknown December 15, 2015 at 11:51 am

You look amazing! Love your dress and make up! What brushes are you using?

• Unknown December 15, 2015 at 11:52 am

You look amazing! Love your dress and make up! What brand are you make up brushes?

• M December 15, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Wonderful post, Jean! Brows are such a hard thing to consistently master. For me, like many others, nothing beats Anastasia brow products. I have sparse uneven brows that need a little help each morning and these products save me. Your powder fill photographs beautifully and looks natural, which is the hardest thing to accomplish. If you want to extend your brows I highly recommend Anastasia Brow Wiz. It is a thin mechanical pencil that looks great when you use it to draw in short lines that look like little hairs. This is usually best done in a shade slightly lighter than your brow color. To tame hairs I use Anastasia's tinted brow gel. It sets things in position but also plumps them like mascara, giving you thickness and dimension over your powder or pencil work. NYX is a great dupe for these, alas they don't carry the shades I need as a redhead. Thanks for such a great tutorial and a stunning holiday dress option!

• Anna Wang December 15, 2015 at 12:14 pm

OMG this dress is stunning! Thanks for sharing the makeup tutorial!

• Charlotte Lei December 15, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Very useful post! Thanks so much Jean!

• Sharan December 15, 2015 at 2:40 pm

The dress looks amazing on you!

xoxo
    Sharan

• Jo Midkiff December 15, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Great post, Jean! Love both the dress and makeup tutorial. Two questions – 1. Could you do a tutorial on everyday makeup? I have similar coloring and love how you wear a daily red lip or a nice neutral without looking washed out (usually my problem with neutrals). 2. Do you have a preferred method for keeping your makeup brushes clean? It takes my brushes a while to dry out when I wash them but they don't feel like they get really clean when I use a spray. To others looking at the dress at Nordstrom's, it looks like they just restocked it in Jean's Antique Gold color. For brows, I like Anastasia brow powder in brunette/dark brown and dip brow for a fuller dramatic defined look, though it's a bit trickier to apply and the powder is much easier and natural for daily wear. I don't use an eye cream for moisture, just for puffiness but it does seem to lend some added moisture – Clinique all about eyes, a little goes a long way!

• allen sarah December 15, 2015 at 2:57 pm

So cute! Love your dress very much 🙂

• Anonymous December 15, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Love your style!! you are so gorgeous =)

I have an important interview coming up for dental school and I don't know where to go to look for a suit.. I have a petite frame and I need something that would fit me nicely without making me look like a 12y.o. boy! What do you suggest? Thank you for your time!

• Sophia December 15, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I second Anastasia brow wiz. It's a great product!

• Brown Eyed Toast December 15, 2015 at 3:18 pm

This dress is truly stunning, especially with that plunging neckline! Loving all of the step by step tutorials 🙂

• Linna December 15, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing the makeup tutorial. As one reader pointed out, it's very different applying makeup to Asian eyes and faces! The whole look from head to toe is stunning – you're ready to get out on the town! I'd recommend Anastasia Beauty Express and it's such a great tool for shaping and coloring brows.