Rainy Day Classics

rainy day outfit trench coat hunter boots

Hunter Rainboots sz 5, Burberry trench (old, sz 2 with sleeves altered), Clinique lipbalm
Prada tote, H&M; scarf, Talbots tee sz petite P, J. Brand jeans sz 24 (old, similar)

On dreary rainy days I love incorporating a pop of color to brighten up my outfit. These Hunter “Tour” boots are the perfect statement piece that’s not only functional, but surprisingly easy to style. They are still the slimmest-calf and lightest rubber rain boot I’ve found. As mentioned in my older review, these are designed to be roll-able and packed away for travel so are very pliable as well. I also own the green color and both get quite a bit of wear.
rainy day outfit trench coat hunter boots1

I also wanted to share another color of the Clinique Chubby Stick (am obsessed with these)…they come in “intense” for more pigmented color and also regular, which are great for those just starting to experiment with lipcolor. I have dry lips so love that they glide on and keep my lips moisturized like a lip balm, but also have build-able color. I have the regular for daily wear and a few of the intense line for bolder looks. I’m wearing “mightiest maraschino” here which is a vibrant cherry red with a tint of fuchsia.

rainy day outfit burberry trench coat
I kept the rest of my outfit neutral with a hint of print – there’s something very basic but classic about pairing red with shades of tan. This caramel Prada from 3 years ago is still one of my favorite bags in my collection, and has held up really well with the addition of a base shaper. I’m not afraid to take it out in damp weather (with an umbrella, of course) due to the water-resistant saffiano coating. As some of you may have seen on Instagram, I’ve been shopping for a new bag and this red Prada Promenade is a serious contender, given how easy to maintain the material is from my experience.
rainy day outfit trench coat hunter boots2

Thank you to Neiman Marcus x ShopStyle for sponsoring this post!

49 thoughts on “Rainy Day Classics

• Mercy F October 1, 2015 at 11:25 pm

I like your neutral ensemble. Looking great inspite of the rain.

• Cassie October 1, 2015 at 11:41 pm

I have to laugh a little bit. I had just finished scheduling a trench coat post when I clicked over to your blog and saw you in this one. I love this look. The pop of red with the caramel is stunning, and I love the stripes with it.

• Sasa Zoe October 2, 2015 at 12:05 am

Too cute! Great rainy day look<3

Shall We Sasa

• Colleen October 2, 2015 at 12:39 am

So cute! I hear it's going to rain a lot this winter in LA so I should pick up a pair of these!

COOCOO FOR COCO

• prudence yeo October 2, 2015 at 12:53 am

Really cute hunter boots and red really does look so classic with neutral shades! Lovely outfit!

Prudence

• Fashion Petite October 2, 2015 at 12:59 am

Totally love this look!
    xoxo Lynda

• Diane Hoang October 2, 2015 at 1:00 am

Your coat is so cute! I'm so excited for the rainy days. You look amazing~

xx, Diane || http://www.dizined.com

• Trang Do October 2, 2015 at 1:50 am

You looks so beautiful!! Love your dress!!
    Xoxo,
    Love from http://www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

• Petite Picks October 2, 2015 at 1:53 am

I love the chubby sticks, too! Thanks for the rec. Love the pop of color from the Hunters against the neutrals.

• Dressed With Soul October 2, 2015 at 2:12 am

Love it that you have red Hunters! I own only black Hunters but I see colour is really a benefit in this context 🙂 Perfect rainy day outfit btw!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Lucy Lai October 2, 2015 at 2:33 am

Love the camel shades of colors and pop of red. <3

MISS LUCIA | Fashion & Lifestyle

• Paola October 2, 2015 at 4:47 am

So pretty! I love the trench and the scarf

• Lauren October 2, 2015 at 7:43 am

Love it! Where did you get your umbrella?

• Unknown October 2, 2015 at 8:40 am

Where is your shirt from?

• Julia Hickman October 2, 2015 at 8:52 am

Such a simple, cute look- love it!

• Unknown October 2, 2015 at 9:01 am

Love your look! Can you please please show me how you tie the knot on the back of your trench? I'm struggling to do a good effortless-look knot! Thanks! x

• pardeeconcepts October 2, 2015 at 9:13 am

You always look fabulous! The Hunters look great in red! I must confess I own a black shiny pair but I feel that that made my legs look too short. These look great on you though! Are these a standard height?

• Danielle October 2, 2015 at 9:50 am

I like this classic look very much! Have a great weekend!

Danielle

• Julie Hiller October 2, 2015 at 10:43 am

Cute look! I'm intrigued by the tinted lip balm. It looks great on you! I've always liked the Burts Bees version, but this look a bit more vibrant, which I like.

lifestyle by joules

• Anonymous October 2, 2015 at 12:17 pm

You looks great Jean. Hunter just came out with the Lava Red (a little darker than yours) for their tour rain boots which can be found on Nordstrom website. What do you think of this darker red color compare to your boot color here? I am so tempted to buy these tour rain boots after seeing on you since you rock them so well but I am afraid they may make me look shorter than I already am (4'11). I have a hard time deciding if I should get these or those Hunter ankle rain boots. Have you tried the ankle rain boots? I know the taller shaft one will protect more from the rain but I am worry that they make me look shorter 🙁

• Dolce Petite October 2, 2015 at 12:24 pm

You look so cute with your hair up like this! Love the outfit!
    Dolce Petite

• Cristina Chase October 2, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Love the lip colour – thanks for posting the name of it.

• Anonymous October 2, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I am 5'1 and I just bought the kids Hunters. They hit at a pretty good height for me (maybe 3/4 of the way up my calves?) but they are very slim in the calf. I used to have the adult Hunters though and I think they make me look taller than the kids because my leg line isn't being cut up.

• Anonymous October 2, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I have the Prada Promenade (in Vernice) and I really regret buying it 🙁 It has a very small opening and is very difficult to get my phone in and out of the bag. I've scratched many bracelets as well as my phone (& my hand) just trying to use the bag. In terms of looks, the Prada Promenade is so cute, which is why I purchased it in the first place, but it's barely usable.

• Vera October 2, 2015 at 8:48 pm

You look adorable. I love this outfit.

Blonde in Cashmere

• Anonymous October 2, 2015 at 9:28 pm

This is a great combo of chic yet comfortable. Does anyone have recommendations for an affordable (< $200) trench coat? I know any tailoring will cost extra. p.s. Thanks for making your site mobile-friendly! (Comments don't seem to post while on a phone but everything else is perfect.)

• tellmeyblog.com October 2, 2015 at 11:40 pm

I love the Clinique Chubby Sticks too! And your rainy day look is very cute!

xx
    Yvonne

• Anonymous October 3, 2015 at 6:55 am

hi jenn . i want to buy a dress from asos but should i trust them? since you buy a lot of clothes from that website can you please advise me? a lot of people are saying that the quality of their clothes is bad and the clothes are fake but i like your outfits and your picks!! the dress is quite expesive * 120 euro ) so i dont know what to do!!! please if you replied it would really be helpful!! thank you in advance!!

• Unknown October 3, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Love that umbrella!! Where is it from!?

• Made in Mauve October 3, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Lovely look! I have those same boots!

Made in MauveBloglovin

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Hello, I've shopped for years on ASOS and have never had a problem with their customer service! The shipping and returns process is very prompt and customer-friendly. The quality is hit or miss due to their fashion fashion price points, plus they sell items from numerous brands so sizing and fit will differ from brand to brand.

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Check out Alterations Needed's review on J.Crew's newest petite sized trench coat. It looked really great. It's $300 but likely won't need alterations, and possibly might go on sale.

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Ps – thank you so much for letting me know about the comments on mobile! Trying to get it fixed soon.

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Thank you for the input! that doesn't sound good…

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:36 pm

I think the darker red is classic! I don't have a strong enough opinion either way since I think they are so similar, but I don't think you can go wrong with either color. I agree with Anon #2 in that I also have the kids and think that the taller shaft not only protects more from the rain by far, but also is much more flattering because the line is longer and leaner.

Here's my older review: http://www.extrapetite.com/2014/11/hunter-rain-boots-review-womens.html

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Yes, they are! The tour style are a little slimmer which I think helps.

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:37 pm

It's from Talbots!

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Hi there – i got it as a gift from WHBM a long time ago, but they never sold it in their stores : /

• Jean October 4, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Hi! I have a really old video on tying a knot on the trench belt but it's for the front…perhaps it can apply to the back too. http://www.extrapetite.com/2011/10/all-about-belts-how-to-tie-hole-punch.html

• Mariah Rickard October 4, 2015 at 11:17 pm

This outfit is so beautiful and classic!