Ann Taylor friends & family sale keepers

UntitledIt’s finally time for Ann Taylor’s friends & family event (ends Monday!). I had been patiently awaiting a promo as there were some stunner new arrival pieces sitting in my cart. These are my keepers from the cardholders preview (I’m currently on the road but will try to take more photos soon!):
– Cutout lace skirt: unlike basic lace, the material on this skirt is more like intricate laser cut-outs. The soft cream against the navy and black looks elevated and baroque-inspired. The material of this skirt has no stretch, but the waistband is made of stretchy grosgrain ribbon-like material which I like for comfort. I get all of my AT skirts taken in a bit because I like them to sit high at my waist with a fitted pencil silhouette – will need to do the same with this one, but the elasticized waist made it a slightly closer fit than their typical skirts. Measurements of a 00P: 13″ across waist, 16″ across hips, 19″ length.
Untitled

AT top, Baublebar necklaces (slim bar, pyramid spike) c/o, Baublebar knot cuff (adjustable!)
Express shorts (sold out, but I have these longer Guess ones that fit well), Kate Spade bag c/o

– Dotted wrap blouse – I love a good draped, crossover blouse. The dotted cream material here feels really close to silk, but is poly with the benefit of being machine washable. It pairs easily with jeans for date night or trousers and skirts alike for work. Please note its a little sheer – will need to wear either a skin-toned bra or camisole under this one. Sleeves are an inch long on me but I have an easy DIY alteration that I’ll share.
Paisley print top (print also comes in a dress) – I don’t think the model pics do these pieces justice. I did a double take when I first saw them, as they brought me back to the days of furiously trying to hunt down Zara’s scarf print blouse (to no avail). This top hits me at the hips and is a billowy shift-style, not fitted. The colors are really pretty in-person with dusty pink and specks of soft blue, jade green, and cream. Once again it looks and feels very close to silk (tag does say dry clean) and is fully lined. Was pleasantly surprised that this is from AT – looks like a more expensive piece…

A few other sale suggestions:

I haven’t personally tried their shoes in a while, but am tempted by new arrivals (starting in a size 5) in some classic silhouettes and really pretty jewel-tone suedes.

– if you’re in need of a classic trench, their new one (in a blend of 97% cotton, 3% spandex) has one good review and comes in regular, petites, and tall.
– In the same family as the scarf print pieces, love the mosaic print shell and roll-sleeve top.

Spruce faux leather pencil skirt – you would think “green” and “faux leather” together may sound disastrous, but this one actually looked pretty good in person. The faux leather has a little bit of stretch which helped this fit a little better than other AT skirts (trying on a 00p below, top is old Banana Republic).Untitled

43 thoughts on “Ann Taylor friends & family sale keepers

• Phyllis Lee August 20, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for the update! Love all of your picks, especially the last pencil skirt. Looks great with your Goyard tote!

Phyllis | http://www.prettypleese.com

• Anonymous August 20, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Great post Jean! Can you advise what I should tell a tailor in order for him/her to make a pencil skirt look the way it looks on you? I find off the rack pencil skirts on me will flare out at the bottom (instead of tapering inwards) or sit high on waist but lack the beautiful hourglass shape that you always accomplish (looking more squarish and rectangle on me)

Thanks in advance. Am really trying to dress better and your blog is really helping. Please keep the excellent posts coming!

• Anonymous August 20, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for the post.Are Banana Republic and Ann Taylor sizes similar?I wear BR size 2.

Shenu

• Anonymous August 20, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for the post.Are banana republic and ann taylor sizes similar? I wear BR size 2.

• Julia Mazzucato August 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I love the dotted blouse!
    How does it fit?
    Julia // Little Miss Haute Couture

• travelwithnanob August 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Thank you for the tips. I love love love that skirt, so feminine and chic!

• Bella B August 20, 2015 at 10:43 pm

That green skirt is great!

xoxoBella | http://xoxobella.com

• Trang Do August 21, 2015 at 12:03 am

Love your skirt!! Thanks for your tips!!
    Xoxo,
    Love from http://www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

• Susan Owen-Grady August 21, 2015 at 12:29 am

great finds! I hope you got that green skirt because it looks amazing on you!
    looking at her website now & im really tempted to try her shoes [i have a major shoe thing]
    mahalo
    -susan

thepetitepepper.com

• Chloe Harrison August 21, 2015 at 7:08 am

The red shoes are amazing just love them!

• Anonymous August 21, 2015 at 7:57 am

I want to get a trench coat. I noticed both Anny Taylor and J Crew Factory have it. Style-wise which brand is better?

• Mayu from JAPAN August 21, 2015 at 9:07 am

I have exactly the same issue and need detailed explanation…
    Many thanks in advance 🙂

• Domestic Engineer August 21, 2015 at 9:43 am

Try the shoes. They seem to be well made and hallelujah, have padding and are comfortable,.

• Luna 22 August 21, 2015 at 11:57 am

Love your site! Where did you purchase the bag in the picture? I love it.

• Lily Lorraine August 21, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Love all the picks, especially the paisley print. I agree it didn't look great on the model so I'm glad you could give your in-person opinion.

• Holly Mareen August 21, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Could you do a post on cleaning your clothes?

• simply me August 21, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Hi Jean! Wanted to share with you my recent purchase that I've been OBSESSED with! I just stumbled across the (in my opinion) the holy grail of blazers (comfortable, no alterations needed, relatively affordable, good quality) for my petite frame (5'0 / 94 lbs). I ordered in XXS in black and in white, and they're perfect for work or for a night out.

• Ugnė August 21, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Hello, love your outfit. 🙂 Could you tell me what size of Dotted wrap blouse – are you wearing or give measurements. Thank you in advance 🙂

• Made in Mauve August 21, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Fab finds!

Made in MauveBloglovin

• Anonymous August 21, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Hi Jean, I have been eyeing the goyard marquise tote ever since your review on it a few years back. Do you still use it? Can you provide any feedback on the bag and how has it held up? I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

• tellmeyblog.com August 22, 2015 at 6:08 am

Thanks for the heads up, Jean! The lace skirt looks really cute and classy!

xx
    Yvonne

• Winnie August 22, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I love the lace skirt! Do you find yourself having to adjust your gait though, if the material doesn't stretch?

• Monic Sutter August 24, 2015 at 11:17 am

That green leather skirt is AMAZING !!!

M
    SIMPLY SUTTER

• Sarah August 24, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Love the lace skirt! Thanks for such high quality posts, as usual!

xx,
    Sarah

• Kat F. August 24, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Hi Jean! Will you be doing any Goodnight Macaroon reviews? I have been thinking about getting one of their dresses and saw that you got a few. Would love to know your opinion! Thank you in advance!

Kat

• Jessica August 28, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Recent AT petite skirts are great and I want them all!!

• Emily August 31, 2015 at 10:26 am

Oh, you look great

• Julie C August 31, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of the Guess denim shorts that you also mentioned in another post. I often shop Guess when they have cute items (otherwise I consider them disastrous), and would have overlooked these shorts. But based on your recommendation, I ordered them on sale and sized down, and they are perfect, even after waiting all summer for LOFT ones to fit just right but never did. These were worth the wait!

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 10:56 am

Hi ladies – I ask him to take in the sides starting at the waist going down along both sides. I hold the skirt up to where I like it to sit (for me, it's usually right at my belly button) so he can clip/pin it in. I also ask him to taper it in a little extra on the bottom if the style allows (sometimes if there is no slit at the bottom, this isn't practical because you'd only be able to take tiny steps).

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 10:56 am

I find them to be similar but BR sometimes runs a little smaller.

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 10:57 am

I like them both so it really is up to you and the details in a trench that you're looking for! Size wise they are fairly comparable as well, although J.Crew may run a little bigger on some items.

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 10:58 am

The pink one is Kate Spade and the printed tote is Goyard : )

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 10:58 am

Thank you for the tip!

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 10:59 am

Hi Holly – I usually just follow the directions on the tag (unless I'm trying to shrink something) so not sure if I have anything for a helpful post there!

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 10:59 am

I'm wearing an xxs petite : )

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 11:00 am

The goyard marquises tote has held up really well (the coated canvas is so easy to keep clean in general), however I don't use it nearly as much. I've come to love the more slouchy look of the St Louis so am using that more in my day to day!

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 11:00 am

Most of my skirts are pencil skirts so I am more acclimated to walking in an item with that shape : )

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 11:01 am

Posted one last week..hope that helped! As with all brands the items can really be hit or miss, however sizing definitely runs small/short.

• Jean September 2, 2015 at 11:01 am

So glad you like them! They've been a casual staple for me in rotation with the shorter express ones.

• Emma September 2, 2015 at 11:11 am

Oooh, that Roll-Sleeve Top (Paisley) is SO my style, BUT I put a moratorium on shopping (have TOO much in closet)! I LOVE those skirts on you; I STILL need to branch out into skirts (BUT am bit afraid).