Petite-friendly summer outfit staples + leopard flats reviews

casual wardrobe outfit staples

RayBan 58mm aviators, Sole Society bag c/o (review), pearl necklace c/o (review), H&M; hat

I’ve been all about comfort dressing this season and this outfit is no exception. Each piece individually is a versatile basic, great for mixing/matching and for travel. If you’re just starting to build a wardrobe and want mostly staple pieces, I’d definitely suggest starting with a few of these!

I brought everything but the hat to France and was tempted to repeat the same outfit each day. While there, I was interested in adding a classic Saint James nautical tee to my collection, but couldn’t find one that wasn’t boxy on me (browsing limited inventory boutiques reminded me of why I love online shopping!). This Caslon tee serves well in its place and is so very soft against the skin. I’m wearing xxs petite which is a slouchy but not baggy fit. Here I have the side zippers unzipped for a more casual tunic look.
summer casual outfit staples1
I love my leopard smoking slippers and wanted to find a lower cut version in a similar pointed silhouette. I’m partnering with Nordstrom in this post to share some of my recommended flats, and figured I’d review all three leopard options that I had tried on before getting these…

1. BP Moveover flats (solid colors here) (sizes 4 – 12)

I own two pairs of the BP Moveover flats and really love the low-profile cut, the light weighted-ness, and how they mold to my feet. However I must reiterate the soles are very thin with no support or cushioning. As mentioned in my past reviews on these, I suggest sizing up and inserting a full insole pad for comfort. Before getting my cognac brown and blush patent pairs, I had tried on other high quality options that were genuine leather with lots of cushioning, but made my foot looks like wide boats. The BPs get poor reviews for the thin soles, but if you really like the cut, the sole is an easy fix using inserts.

Anyways, on to the leopard print…unfortunately the shoe is what you pay for and just animal print on faux leather. I was not impressed like I was with the solid options. This may be a good alternative if you want faux-material shoes, which in that world this is not a bad leopard. Personally, I didn’t love it and much prefer the leopard look on calfhair.

2. Sam Edelman flats (sizes 5 – 12)

My favorite aspect of this shoe is the large scale leopard spot pattern. The quality felt nice and the material was exactly the same as their d’orsay leopard pump that I reviewed previously. I’m usually between a size 5 and 5.5, and a 5 was the better fit on these. There is a black triangle on the back of the shoe which I didn’t care for personally (also on the d’orsay pump version), but I didn’t think it was distracting nor a dealbreaker.

*Please note, my phone photos show the leopard coloring to be more blown out & yellow than how it looks in-person. Refer to the outfit photos here for a closer representation!*

Untitled

Top: Sam Edelman, Bottom: Ivanka Trump

3. Ivanka Trump chic3 flats (sizes 4 – 12)

This third option features a medium scale animal print with a thin black stripe down the back. These were a touch more comfortable for me than the Sam Edelmans and the pointed toe area looked a little shorter. There is also a difference in the tiny heel, where the SE’s have a thin black flat heel and the Ivanka’s have a self material-covered heel. Both pairs show the same amount of toe cleavage – just a peek.
leopard flats review

Left: Sam Edelman,  Right: Ivanka Trump

It was real a toss up for me between these options as there were features on each style that I liked marginally better than the other. Nick’s eyes were glazed over when I kept asking him for his opinion because he kept thinking they were the same shoe : ) For the slightly improved comfort and fit on my feet, I bought the Ivanka Trump version in a 5.5. Another bonus is they start in a hard-to-find size 4 for any of you ladies who need that. I wore mine for a few hours the first day and did not feel irritation like one of the reviewers mentioned. Please note both the Ivanka Trump and Sam Edelman options feel stiff out of the box, similar to how Ferragamo flats feel. I hope they become more pliable with continuous wear!summer casual outfit staples2
My friend ended up giving me her pair of these jeans, so now I’m a happy owner of two and can wear white jeans to my heart’s content. I ended up getting
one pair hemmed and left the other pair long for wearing cuffed. Since most white jeans do not require the original hem to be left on, it was a very affordable alteration (usually $10 or less). If these stretch out at all with wear, machine washing them and drying on medium/high heat shrinks them back down for me every time.

summer casual outfit staplesThank you to Nordstrom flats for sponsoring this post!

summer casual outfit staples3

68 thoughts on “Petite-friendly summer outfit staples + leopard flats reviews

• Diana June 15, 2015 at 12:12 am

Cute outfit, love the weekend bag!

|| D I A N A ||

• Brittney June 15, 2015 at 12:32 am

Oh man, at first glance I thought those were the same flats too! I like the IT ones better too; the smaller print just seems classier somehow.

Another Beautiful Thing

• Dressed With Soul June 15, 2015 at 12:37 am

Love this effortless but very stylish outfit and I'm happy I have similar pieces in my closet … expect the flats! Therefore I thank you for your helpful tips!
    xx Rena
    International Giveaway: Bags are More Than Fun for Me

• Anonymous June 15, 2015 at 2:29 am

i love sam edelman shoes!! love this outfit!! i also love your new ysl woc!! i'm about to get one too in powder colour, but i'm scared it'll get dirty easily! so i'm just wondering what you clean your purse with or spray to protect it if it gets dirty since you said things wiped right off when it got dirty!!

• Glam Darling June 15, 2015 at 2:32 am

I love every part of this outfit!!! I would have never thought to mix leopard with stripes!!
    xoxo Renee

• Atul @ Charu Fashions June 15, 2015 at 2:40 am

Beautiful Outfit! The combination of all is looking stylish!

• Anonymous June 15, 2015 at 3:37 am

I got the BP flats on your recommendation and holy cow! I've always hated flats because they never fitted my narrow feet properly, but these BP flats are so comfortable and look so good! Love! But you are right when you say they don't have any cushioning.

Do you have any recommendations for a good insole pad for the BP flats? 🙂

• Trang Do June 15, 2015 at 4:16 am

Very good looking, Nice flats!!
    Hugs,
    Love from http://www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

• prudence yeo June 15, 2015 at 8:11 am

Love this classic casual chic outfit suitable for petites! Cute leopard print flats too!

Prudence

• Anonymous June 15, 2015 at 9:45 am

Disappointed now that you don't work in the financial service industry, used to follow you closely on how to pair clothes, with a new career in marketing, your outfits became more relaxed and doesn't fit the traditional work outfit.

• Paola June 15, 2015 at 10:49 am

Beautiful outfit and great shoes!

• ADRIENNE MERRICK June 15, 2015 at 11:20 am

That is the cutest hat! I actually just bought it this weekend! Haha!

• Becca @ Lexi and Lady June 15, 2015 at 11:22 am

So classy! This outfit looks similar to the one Kate Middleton was wearing over the weekend. https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/kate-middleton-plays-prince-george-polo-match-adorable-183000055-us-weekly.html

Becca

• coffeeslag June 15, 2015 at 11:27 am

I'm so iffy on leopard flats, I feel like they've really been overdone in terms of a must have print. I think I would love a tiny leopard print scarf though, tied around the wrist or a bag handle to add oomph. I love the white jeans and striped shirt combo though, definitely a classic.

coffeeslag

COFFEESLAG choices from the NetAPorter Sale

• Sarah June 15, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Of the three flats, I really like the Ivanka Trump Chic3 flats the best (probably because of its bold colors). Sam Edelman flats is my second favorite, followed by BP Moveover flats.

Do the other flats also require support or cushioning like the BP Moveover flats?

• Anonymous June 15, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Please do a hair styling tutorial!

• Daniela DT June 15, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I'm not close to ever being petite, but was still inspired by this outfit! I'll be traveling soon and this is very helpful!
    xx Daniela / Fashion Shower Blog

• A Gaoly Dream June 15, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I love the cute outfits! I was debating one getting the one of the two pairs before and finally made my choice. I had a white pair of jeans before but it ripped in a place that would have been hard to fix and go stained pretty bad so it went in the trash. Now on the lookout for another white pair.

• Anonymous June 15, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I really like this outfit. It looks like something I would wear. So much so that I'm going to order the pieces you recommended. I regret that I never ordered that necklace when they were giving your readers a discount. I just started following your blog at at that time and didn't realize how many pieces of clothing it would go with. Have you thought about partnering with the distributor to give your readers another discount?

• Deasy Noel June 15, 2015 at 4:45 pm

I love wearing flats. They are comfy, cute, and if you needed to run in style, you can! Haha. And striped shirts.. always a good go-to top :B

• Anonymous June 15, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Totally appreciate these affordable style ideas. Your hair looks super gorgeous in first picture. Those waves!

• Anonymous June 15, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I love your hair.. Do you tease the top portion of your hair to add volume? Mine is always so flat and boring haha. I love your Ray-ban shades so much that bought a pair when they were on sale at Nordstrom. Love your outfit in this post, so casual and chic <3

• Anonymous June 15, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Caslon, not Calson.

• Gigi jay June 16, 2015 at 2:37 am

Love everything you’re wearing – and I love those extra photos!
    ストリート服

• Julia Mazzucato June 16, 2015 at 8:53 am

Absolutely classic and gorgeous, Jean! I love the top.
    Julia // Little Miss Haute Couture

• Celyn PS June 16, 2015 at 9:54 am

these are great wardrobe staples! I can't live without striped shirts!

styleandchocolates

• Danielle June 16, 2015 at 10:06 am

Those shoes add a special touch to your outfit!

• Anonymous June 16, 2015 at 11:05 am

Omg really cute outfit ! Check out my instagram ffsnyc ! and blog – http://www.fashionfourseasons.com

• HeySesame June 16, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for the informative post! We love your practical fashion tips.
    Check us out sometime!
    xoxo, Amy & Ellen

• Suzie Q June 16, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Love all of these classic pieces styled together into one outfit! Can't get enough of leopard print, and leopard flats are definitely a must for comfy and chic look. I love your hair with the soft waves!

xo, Suzie Q
    StyleCueBySuzieQ.com

• Anonymous June 16, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I am continually surprised that you are able to wear the RayBans in 58mm, as I am not nearly as petite as you are but have to order the 55mm. Have you ever tried the smaller size? (Note – they are not a kid size but a smaller standard size available on the RayBan or Sunglass Hut website.) You are always concerned with the proper fit so I thought you might like to know about the sunglasses. Apologies for posting as Anonymous as Google posts all my info and I cant figure out how to change it! Nina R.

• Anonymous June 16, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Hi Jean

Have you thought of posting and reviewing active wear for petites? Thanks

• Anonymous June 16, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Doesn't it all depend on the size and measurements of your face and features?

• Anonymous June 16, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Hi Jean

Do you know of a good insole brand to make a pair of flats that are too big fit smaller?

• Easy, Frugal Style June 17, 2015 at 8:19 am

Love the staples! 🙂 And the Sam Edelman flats are adorable!! 🙂

Easy, Frugal Style

• Cynthia Nguyen June 17, 2015 at 9:37 am

I have similar flats from Madewell! Love the touch of leopard print to contrast the rest of the outfit. If there's any way of injecting leopard print in chic way, it's in your footwear! Love that Ivanka Trump makes sizes 4 and on too!

Cynthia

• Anonymous June 17, 2015 at 1:37 pm

where is your weekend bag from/what is the brand?

• Anonymous June 17, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Everyone's face is differently proportioned but Jean is so "extra petite" that I thought she might like to know about the sunglasses. The blue-lens Ray Bans she has worn in other posts appear to fit her better than the ones here. It isn't just about fashion but how a sunglass lens should properly cover your eye for optimal protection. I'm just trying to share some info for all the petites out there – not just Jean.

• Anonymous June 17, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Thank you. I'm glad you mentioned there are smaller Ray Ban aviators available. I always have trouble finding sunglasses small enough that aren't kids sizes.

• Anonymous June 17, 2015 at 10:54 pm

says sole society at the top 🙂