Winter layers: petite-friendly faux fur vest

faux fur vest outfit4

Mossimo vest (wearing juniors xs), J.Crew sweater (similar), Converse shirt (similar)
BP Trolley boots (review), J.Brand Maria jeans on sale (mine are frm 2013, sz 24 hemmed)
Chanel wallet on chain, leather gloves (similar good for short fingers – my review)

It’s been a hectic few weeks at work so please bear with my sporadic posts! I had been looking for a faux fur vest since last fall but never found one that felt quite right. It’s easy for me to to feel like the abominable snowman in too much furry volume. I wanted good coloring and texture of faux fur (which can often look cheap), plus hip-length coverage and slinky fit. The right vest can truly become a wardrobe staple since layering options are endless! I had an H&M; one years ago which was adorable, but the very shrunken/cropped style wasn’t substantial so I eventually parted with it.
faux fur vest outfit
My friend Ping recommended this one from Target of all places and I ended up loving it! I love her simple + chic pairing with a longer cowl-neck tunic sweater. XS in this vest appears to be sold out online, but try the “find in a store” button which is a nifty feature I use often. There were quite a few at the Boston South Bay location just a few days ago. Closeup and back view below:
faux fur vest outfit1

Back:

faux fur vest outfit3I keep going back to basics this season and this outfit is full of them. For those who want to build a wardrobe of pieces that you can style and restyle, a chambray shirt, layering vest, slim black jeans and neutral boots are in my top 10 must-haves for cold weather. These BP boots are now 50% off and I can’t recommend them enough (please note from my past review they run about half size small in the foot area)!
faux fur vest outfit2Unlike the vest market, petite chambray shirt options looks to be quite plentiful. If you don’t own a good one yet, here’s a few that caught my eye around the web that all come in petites and are all on sale today (including this affordable one at J.Crew factory with nice dark coloring):

73 thoughts on “Winter layers: petite-friendly faux fur vest

• Rachel Dinh January 19, 2015 at 10:07 am

Thank you for sharing Jean! Looking for a vest that fits a petite frame perfectly can be tough, since some can be built too long. Beautiful look, classic pieces are the way to go!

• Liz | Shopping My Closet January 19, 2015 at 10:56 am

I'm impressed that the vest is from Target!

Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com

• Julia January 19, 2015 at 11:15 am

I was looking for an affordable fur vest as well since the chance of wearing it day to day is relatively low for me. The thickness and color are perfect yet not too over the top. Thanks for sharing, Jean! I haven't really started shopping at Target for clothing until last year since I went to their Starbucks every day. My roommate used to provide business consulting services for them and said they've really stepped up their game in the fashion retail industry. I am especially excited for the recent announcement on their Lilly Pulitzer collaboration!

Julia || Closet de Jules
    Recent Post: Think Warm Thoughts – Lilly Pulitzer

• Sasa Zoe January 19, 2015 at 11:17 am

Love your vest<3

Shall We Sasa

• Paola January 19, 2015 at 11:43 am

I love the color of the sweater and your vest!

• annie lee January 19, 2015 at 11:59 am

that's such a cute bag ๐Ÿ˜€

• greentOkki January 19, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Love the vest on you! I tried it, and it ended up looking ridiculous on me. Definitely going to check out the J.Crew Factory sale for a chambray shirt though!

• Cassie January 19, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I love this outfit! I'm going to have to see if they have it at one of our local target stores ๐Ÿ™‚

Side question about the gloves, I hope you don't find me asking, but do you find your engagement ring fits well inside them? I'd like to pick up a pair of driving gloves as well, I'm just worried with a solitaire style ring that it'll end up looking distorted. Have you had any issues?

• fivesouth January 19, 2015 at 12:55 pm

That vest looks so cozy! I have to second the J. Crew flannel PJs and petite chambray shirts– I basically live in these in on the weekends ๐Ÿ™‚ – j

• jane January 19, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Can I ask where your necklace is from? It's really pretty.

• Anonymous January 19, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Love your brown vest from Target! I was eyeing it the other day too. It looks so good on you I might get one for myself http://www.kblossoms.etsy.com

• Joyce January 19, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Can I ask where you get your hair styled? I love the simplicity and how it is layered, but I've gotten enough bad hair cuts in the past to know not every stylist can successfully cut this style. I'm looking for a place to get my hair cut soon. I'm in Boston as well =) Thanks!

• Suzie Q January 19, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Love how you did the layering with the multiple tops to keep warm! Such a great vest find at Target! I can't get enough of those boots ๐Ÿ™‚

xo, Suzie Q
    StyleCueBySuzieQ.com

• Artemis Benedetti January 19, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Hi Jean! Are you growing your hair out for the wedding? I did for mine so I had more to work with…yours look amazing right now.

• Olivia Floyd January 19, 2015 at 4:35 pm

What lipsticks are you wearing? It looks really cute on you.

• A Petite Treat January 19, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I love that green sweater! Such a fun outfit.

Jenn
    A Petite Treat

• Courtney Dunsmore January 19, 2015 at 6:56 pm

This outfit is absolutely beautiful,I had to pin it <3 I'm slightly biased against chambray,but the way it balances with the different layers,and the deep colors of this outfit are gorgeous.Hope to see more like this!

• Anonymous January 19, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Love all of your outfits. Where is your lovely necklace from?

• prudence yeo January 19, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Love the beautiful mixed shades of the cute vest and it fits you just right! I am also looking for a fur vest which is not too bulky and long, hopefully I can find one!

Prudence

• Tara January 19, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Love your blog — thanks so much for your polished and thoughtful posts! Faux fur vest=killer, and I like the earthy color palette: very "hunting lodge in New England!" I've always wondered about the progression of the "building your wardrobe" series you had started a while ago. I was wondering if you might do one for the shoes you wear most often — I love your taste, and want to build a shoe wardrobe that has just the right number of quality shoes!

• Sorpathey January 19, 2015 at 10:49 pm

I really like your style!

• Diana January 19, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Lovely outfit and layering!

~~~Diana~~~

• Rachel Shaw January 19, 2015 at 11:15 pm

The vest looks great on you! I also appreciate your sale picks, the cheetah-print pencil skirt looks amazing. I have a question? With so many sales, especially around this time of the year, how do you decide on what items to truly buy for a great price versus over spending on all the great deals, only to later regret them since you have over spent on your budget? I would love to know your strategy or game plan for buying wisely during the sale season.

• AlexisB January 20, 2015 at 12:38 am

Love the vest! I saw it in Target just last night and was so temped. I decided I'm just a bit too old for the look. It also comes in black (though the brown looks best). Super cute outfit!

Also a very belated congratulations on your engagement!

• seasonsofaheart January 20, 2015 at 2:10 am

Hi! Just a quick question- is chambray warm enough to act as a mid-layer for the winter?

• Meghan Silva January 20, 2015 at 2:35 am

This vest is everything.

Meg | Meghan Silva's Blog
    @MeghanSSilva on Instagram

• EVA. January 20, 2015 at 4:00 am

loving the sweater <3

xo

• Jeany R. January 20, 2015 at 4:58 am

So in love with your whole outfit! Perfect for winter! <3

• ANDYSTYLE January 20, 2015 at 9:49 am
  • Joanna Le January 20, 2015 at 11:00 am

Love the pattern of the vest! It's definitely interesting without being too overwhelming. What a great find.

xjole.com

• andrea January 20, 2015 at 12:16 pm

I saw this fur vest in Target over the weekend and had no idea what I'd wear it. I love how you've styled it here though, it's perfect for our mild Bay Area winter!

xoxo,
    Andrea

• Anonymous January 20, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Hi Jean! Love your blog….what are your thoughts on altering a faux fur vest? I, like yourself, have a hard time finding a vest that fits my petite frame. In fact, I impulsed brought a vest from zara that i now regret buying because I think it overpowers my small frame. Would love to hear your thoughts or maybe even a post about it. Thanks!

-C

• Nada January 20, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Awww, I love this style so much! You look so great ๐Ÿ™‚
    xoxo,

• Talia January 20, 2015 at 3:11 pm

You look fantastic! Stylish and weather appropriate! Love your blog and you are so kind to share where you've found your amazing pieces.

• Champagne Star January 20, 2015 at 4:18 pm

The faux fur vests have been growing on me lately, but I've been hesitant to actually buy any as many of them do look very cheap. I don't know of any Targets near me, but I usually wear a medium t- large in juniors clothing, so I can probably find a size online that would fit.

• Ashley January 20, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Hi Jean,
    Love your blog! I have a quick question but wasn't sure on which forum to ask you.
    I wanted to find out what colors you have on your hermes belt…is it the black and gold color (or some other color (gold swift?)). Also did you get a brushed or shiny buckle?

• Carolyn Voong January 20, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Love the fur vest! You always look so put-together and stylish ๐Ÿ™‚

Carolyn xx

• Anonymous January 20, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Looks so luxe on you! One question: I noticed you are holding it in (hand on it) in every photo which isn't your normal posture. Does that mean it falls open in an awkward way at all? Thanks!

• Sophia January 20, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I love the combination of green + brown in your outfit! I have been trying to acquire a couple of button-downs to layer under sweaters, and I appreciate that you provided several options of chambray shirts. I was wondering what size you are in the JCrew Factory shirt? I look forward to your reply ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Hi Cassie! Before putting on gloves, I usually swivel my ring so that the stone is on the palm side of my hands and then swivel it back after I take my gloves off. Usually my gloves are stretched taut over the backside of my hand but has a little more room to give on the palm side since the hand caves in a bit on that side, if it makes sense! I haven't had any distorted gloves yet with this trick : )

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Hi Jane – thanks! it's a very old J.Crew necklace.

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Hi Joyce! I go to Freddy at Zen Hair in Kenmore Square : )

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:46 pm

It's just long since I haven't had time to visit my hairdresser, but that's not a bad idea! Thanks for the tip : )

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Thanks! It's MAC "charismatic"

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Thanks so much…this one is J.Crew but very old. I think I've seen similar at Baublebar online.

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Hi Tara – my most worn shoes have got to be my tall black boots, my short black BP ankle booties from Nordstrom, leopard Halogen heels, navy Ann Taylor high heeled pumps for work, and my neutral-colored flats. Black is obviously a safe bet for winter and neutral like brown/tan go with everything in the summer. I like navy pumps for work since they are a bit softer than classic black and work both with cold and warm weather palettes. And leopard print I feel adds a bit of oomph to just about any outfit – can't get enough of it in shoe form!

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Hi Rachel – good question! I would say it depends a lot on what "needs" you have in your closet (ie. how often do you try to put together an outfit and think "it'd be perfect if I had ___ piece to complete the pairing!") , and also if you'd buy something if it were closer to full price versus the sale price. I usually include just a few select suggestions with each big sale vs. a laundry list of things just because they are cheap. I already have plenty of animal print in my own closet but I thought for anyone who doesn't, the cheetah print skirt was one of the more classic-looking pieces out of the entire sale selection and would pair well with lots of colors. Of course there are always hits and misses with shopping decisions, but you can always edit seasonally but donating or selling the items that you didn't end up loving as much as you thought you would. Selling existing pieces that you don't wear very much (through sites like Twice or consignment) before buying new ones can definitely also help with staying on budget.

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Thank you! Oh, I didn't see the black one. I don't know how old you are, but honestly think vests like this can be very chic and age-appropriate even for an older demographic when paired simply like Ping showed it in her IG!

• Jean January 20, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Hello! Chambray comes in all weights, or at least I've seen a variety ranging from paper thin to a thick and sturdier material. Also it depends on what type of winter climate you're talking about. In the Northeast you would definitely need a coat or jacket of some sort over a chambray shirt.

• Jean January 21, 2015 at 12:01 am

Hi C – I think it would be pretty difficult, except maybe a side slimming alteration if that is all that your vest needs. It would be tougher to shorten the length or alter the armholes on one, but again there is nothing a good tailor can't do for the right price!

• Jean January 21, 2015 at 12:02 am

Hi there – unfortunately I don't know the official color names. I have a black reversing to medium brown and then a dark brown reversing to orange. I believe I have a brushed silver and a shiny gold buckle. Good luck choosing yours!

• Jean January 21, 2015 at 12:03 am

Oh, odd! I'm not used to wearing vests yet and also I was a bit distracted by how soft this one was : ) Here's a picture of it with no hand on it. I don't think it falls open awkardly. https://flic.kr/p/qAFku4

• Jean January 21, 2015 at 12:04 am

Hi Sophia! I take a xxs to xs petite in J.Crew. I have not had a chance to try on these chambray shirts in particular since petites is not available in their stores, only online.

• Zalona January 21, 2015 at 7:02 am

Very nice blog post and very inspiring blog! Keep up the great work, I'm a fan! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Merrie K. January 21, 2015 at 7:40 am

A nice vest and a chambray shirt are a must in every girl's closet whether she's petite or tall! Love the outfit!

~Merrie K.

• nur laili Jannah January 21, 2015 at 9:00 am

I love to design clothes that are fashionable at the top, and it makes me want to buy it.

~Nur Laili~
    Ide Usaha Sampingan

• tellmeyblog.com January 21, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Very cute faux fur vest! Sometimes we are so focus on hunting the right items and forget about brands like Target may also have some good options to offer! This fur vest makes me want to go check out my local Target now! ๐Ÿ™‚

xx
    Yvonne

• Monica January 22, 2015 at 1:07 pm

I absolutely love your style and your blog. It's refreshing finding other petite women struggling to find stylish clothes that fit our figure well. Have you tried shopping at The Limited? They too have petites available, although only online, but their clothes are very in style with what you have here. I even had one petite sweater be too short on me, which never ever happens with my 5 foot figure. I would def look into them!

• Elizabeth Lee January 22, 2015 at 4:25 pm

love the vest and all the thoughtful layers. you look beautiful!
    love, liz

• Anonymous January 22, 2015 at 6:40 pm

After reading your blog, I stopped at my Target and found the vest 30% off in my size. If you use Target's Cartwheel app, you get another 20% off clearance items. This bring the cost down to under $20.00. Thanks for showing it. I had my eye on a fur vest all winter, and took the plunge.

• Trendy On A Budget January 22, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Love the layers and how you topped it all off with such a great faux fur vest!

• Jean January 22, 2015 at 11:38 pm

What a great deal! I just got it for full price! I've also never heard of the Cartwheel app and will now have to check it out. I'm glad you like the vest : )

• Jean January 22, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Hi Monica! Thank you for your kind words and for your suggestion : ) I have blogged about the Limited petites a few times before and agree they are a nice option to have especially for workwear.

• Anonymous January 26, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Hey, Jean! I was wondering if any readers specified which store was selling the vest for $10, as prices vary store to store. If no one mentioned a specific store, I was wondering if you could please ask one of them which store is selling it at that price (if it's not too much trouble). Thank you! โ˜บ๏ธ

• Sophia Yedigarian January 26, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Thank you so much! I actually just popped into Ann Taylor the other day and their petite chambray shirt fit perfectly in a XXS P (I'm 5'3 and 105 lbs). Just putting it out there in case anyone else asks ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous January 28, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I found a bunch at one store in my area (Milwaukee) for 70% off. With the additional cartwheel 20% off women's clearance, it brought it down to under $10

• Anonymous January 28, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Thank you so much!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Can you please tell me which specific store in Milwaukee? I tried calling so many and none of them were priced at that amount.

• Azi ginanjar January 30, 2015 at 3:57 am

I want to thank you because you are sharing information with us. I am very honored..
    Anti Aging Capsule
    Obat Diabetes Melitus
    Obat kolesterol
    Pengobatan usus buntu tanpa operasi
    Pengobatan kista ovarium secara alami

• Anonymous February 26, 2015 at 3:39 am

Hi- Nice selection – when buying jackets should I go up one size?I live in a tropical city so this jacket will only be for vacation to the mountains. I have a petite frame but a large bust and I look like a teddy bear in my jackets !So im thinking of revamping my jackets.

• Azi ginanjar March 19, 2015 at 5:52 am

Never give up, which is the lesson I learned from boxing. As soon as you learn to never give up, you have to learn the power and wisdom of unconditional surrender, and that one doesn't cancel out the other; they just exist as contradictions. The wisdom of it comes as you get older. Obat tradisional usus buntu tanpa operasi

• Rashi Qureshi March 21, 2015 at 10:45 am

Hey, Jean- I'm just in love with your blog and love love love your fashion sense. I hope you can help me with a bit of advice because I'm also petite (4'9) with heavy bust and thin waist. I'm 18 but still I look like I'm 13. Please help.
    love from India

• Anonymous April 22, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Love this outfit. Doe Target still sell that vest? I clicked on the link and searched the Target online shopping site, looks like it's sold out. Where can I get a similar vest?