Two Generations of Lace

holiday party lace dress
On me: DVF Zarita dress (gifted & first posted here), DIY sash, Manolo Blahnik BB pumps

On my mom: Adrianna Papell lace dress in “cassis” (also in sleeveless or cap sleeve)

For the second half of my collaboration with Nordstrom holiday dresses (see part one for this $26 petite-friendly find), I chose an older piece from my closet that’s become a favorite over the year. I didn’t expect the “nude” pink color to be as versatile cross-seasonally as its proven to be. I wore it with white and gold back in spring, and have paired it with deeper hues like hunter green for fall events. I hope to get another wear in before winter turns me Casper-y pale and the nude disappears into my skin. For the holidays, I made this fun oversized sash to accentuate the waistline and break up the all-over lace look.
holiday party lace dress1
A few of you have asked about more affordable dupes for this dress, in particular the Adriana Papell version. This brand starts at size 2P so I haven’t considered it personally, but was thrilled that my mom has it. While I was growing up, my parents were pretty stern and always chastised my shopping habit (“books over looks!”), so I’ve been secretly quite pleased in recent years to get texts from Mom on her clothing and makeup “hauls” inspired by my blog posts. It took some coaxing for her to join me in photos but my dad cracking jokes off-camera helped : )
holiday party lace dress3
The design of both dresses is pretty similar with the biggest difference I observed (did not try the AP on myself) being the lace materials. I can’t describe it well -see above closeup- but the DVF lace is a larger, more distinct floral which I do think looks a little more higher end. It might also be accentuated though by the lighter vs darker shades here, but both dresses come in a variety of colors. Composition of the stretchy lace is 70% rayon / 30% nylon for DVF and 56% rayon / 44% nylon for AP. Lower-quality rayon and nylon can be pilling-prone but I’ve had no signs of that on the DVF, and can’t speak to my mom’s dress. Both dresses are double-lined in a soft knit material, with a zipper closure down the back. The AP is made in China and the DVF is domestically-made.
holiday party lace dress2According to my mom, this ran fairly true to size if not big (she is 5’2″ for reference, and 34″ bust, 28.5″ waist, and 35″ around the hips). This dress in 2P looked like a good fit on her with some extra room in the hips. She’s usually worrisome of her upper arms and tummy and I thought this look flattered both areas. I do think this type of stretchy dress would look best very fitted (looks too loose in some stock photos), so consider sizing down. I am wearing a 0 regular in the DVF which has been altered – see the original fit on me:
DVF zarita lace dress beforeI had my tailor slim the sleeves through the armholes and taper the bottom of the skirt for a more fitted “pencil” silhouette. I hope these photos show how classic a lace sheath can be for women of all ages!

This post was sponsored by Nordstrom to share holiday dressing ideas.

62 thoughts on “Two Generations of Lace

• prudence yeo December 5, 2014 at 2:06 am

It is so heart-warming to see your mum and you together! Both of you look amazing in the beautiful lace dresses you are wearing! And love the nude pink shade of your dress, such a pretty color!

Prudence

• Anonymous December 5, 2014 at 2:25 am

Thanks Jean for the comparison. Both of you look great! Would you say that the quality of the AP dress is similar to the DVF (other than the flower pattern detail)?

• Katie Quattro December 5, 2014 at 7:28 am

Your mom is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

• Sasa Zoe December 5, 2014 at 9:08 am

Both of you are so pretty! Love these photos and lace looks great on you both:)

Shall We Sasa

• Becca Hammer December 5, 2014 at 9:17 am

Aww! You guys look beautiful. I never comment but I loved this post. Yay mommy!

• Rachel Dinh December 5, 2014 at 10:20 am

Your mother is simply so beautiful. Asians age so gracefully, you have good genes in your family Jean!

http;//www.racheldinh.com

• Anonymous December 5, 2014 at 10:28 am

Jean, Your mother looks lovely– you really do take after her. I'm sure she's so proud of you.

• Helen's Collection Statement Jewelry December 5, 2014 at 10:37 am

Your mom looks beautiful, and you too.
    Statement Necklaces: http://www.helenscollection.com

• Rachel December 5, 2014 at 10:47 am

What a lovely post, Jean. Thank you so much for sharing your mom with us today! You are both beautiful! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Cee December 5, 2014 at 10:47 am

Adore this, Jean! You look just like your mom.

• Elaine Atkins December 5, 2014 at 10:56 am

So, so pretty! Both you and your mom look gorgous and I LOOOVE the lace (of course I do) ๐Ÿ˜›

• cynthia December 5, 2014 at 10:57 am

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful post! This is so precious — I love that you two did a shoot together, and you are both gorgeous. This is too sweet for words ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy holidays, Jean!

• annie lee December 5, 2014 at 11:00 am

gorgeous mama and daughter! xx

• Caroline December 5, 2014 at 11:03 am

I recently bought a similar dress from Forever 21:

It's very versatile. I've already worn it to two fall weddings and will reuse it for my work Christmas party (maybe I'll try it with a bow belt like yours). After that I'll start using it in more casual settings, either with a blazer/cardigan over it, or a button down shirt layered underneath. Or with slinky heels as a going out dress. So many possibilities.

• Anonymous December 5, 2014 at 11:04 am

stunning!
    can you also list your lip color please?
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sophie December 5, 2014 at 11:11 am

You both look beautiful! Do you have a tutorial somewhere for achieving your hairstyle? I have straight long hair (about the same length as yours) and it's really difficult to get loose curls to stick for more than 5 minutes! I'm very careful about not using chemicals and almost never using heat but although my hair is healthy it still looks quite flat because it's so straight. Also, your hair looks amazing in general. I'd love to know your hair routine. (Sorry if you posted about this before, I couldn't find the post in quick search.)

• ellie December 5, 2014 at 11:40 am

hi jean. what tailor do you use in boston? and do you mind me asking what your MAC shade is?

• Jackie December 5, 2014 at 11:44 am

Your mom is gorgeous! Now we know where you get your good looks ๐Ÿ˜€

• Jane December 5, 2014 at 11:47 am

Jean, consider wearing your DVF lace dress with a denim jacket, buttoned up. I've seen the denim-and-lace combination on several women and it always looks lovely — a surprising mix of robust and delicate fabrics.

• Pamela December 5, 2014 at 11:49 am

Oh goodness, your mom is such a beauty! Looking hot, mama!

• Kristie Glenn December 5, 2014 at 11:53 am

Beautiful dresses! You both look great!

• Anonymous December 5, 2014 at 12:08 pm

You two look so beautiful and elegant!

• Anonymous December 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Beautiful! Jean, this post made my day- so heartwarming! You and your mom look so happy and are epitomes of grace and elegance.

• andrea December 5, 2014 at 1:41 pm

You and your mom are so adorable Jean! Love both dress, both colors are beautiful!

xoxo,
    Andrea

• Anonymous December 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Jean, I love this post of you and your mom. Both looking very elegant and beautiful! Thank you for this wonderful blog!

• Emily December 5, 2014 at 6:56 pm

You both look great. I'm surprised you have shoes on inside an Asian house on a white carpet! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jemily Life

• Regina Gee December 6, 2014 at 7:21 am

My daughter and I admire your style! We were so happy to see this lovely post featuring a petite mom and daughter.

• P December 6, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Hi Jean! What a special post! Our moms are most definitely beautiful on the inside, but this is a reminder to encourage our moms, despite some self-consciousness about their bodies and age, that they can still be beautiful and fashionable on the outside even as they get older. ๐Ÿ™‚

I love these outfits. Jean, can you suggest how might you pair these outfits with tights for a colder day? (i.e. what color tights with what color pumps). -Phoebe

• One Stiletto At A Time December 6, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Aww I love these looks and this post.

XoXo One Stiletto At A Time

• Petite-ish December 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm

You both look gorgeous!

• EVA. December 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm

you both look so beautfitul, love the lace dresses <3

xo

• IH December 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Your mom is so beautiful! Nice to have to have a stylish daughter!

• IH December 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Can you please do a post on affordable but classic staple pieces for moms? That can be very helpful for xmas shopping!

• kismetic December 6, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Jean, you and your mom look gorgeous together! My Asian parents were the same way when I was growing up. Glad your mother is on board with your great style now!
    Also, love the lace dresses for the holidays!
    ~Ruth

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 12:30 am

Your mom is lovely and beautiful- she should be anything but camera shy!

• Kristina Ashley December 7, 2014 at 12:53 am

My mom is about the same size as your mom, and she loooooves Adrianna Papell! It's her favorite brand!

• Petite Girl December 7, 2014 at 7:05 am

Lovely image!! Love the color of the shoes.

• Stephanie December 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Beautiful photos! Love the style and color of the dress your mom is wearing.

• rodelma lopez December 7, 2014 at 4:36 pm

beautiful lace dress.. my friend and I love one lace dress we found online such a keeper…you both are gorgeous lovely ladies

• Jean December 7, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Thank you! They both felt very similar material-wise given the short interaction I had with the AP. However I never put that one on to compare material comfort, and also can't speak to how that one wears and holds up over time. I read through most of the reviews though and would suggest checking those out from some women who've had it for a while!