I convinced my fiance Nick to come out from behind the camera and share a few last-minute gift ideas for the men in our lives (and drop a few blatant hints to help me out)!
Nick: There are only 5 days left until Christmas or, who knows, maybe it's 4. I'm panicking and forgot how to count. If you're like me and thought it was still October, you likely haven't done much gift shopping. This list can help you get a few presents for the men in your life before the 25th. And most of these items are available digitally, can still be shipped in time, or can be found—if you dare enter this time of year— in your local mall.
1. Amazon Prime Subscription
- $99 a year for a bunch of movies, TV shows and e-books. And of course, the best part - free 2-day shipping on millions of items. Consider it a gift for him that makes it easier to buy last-minute gifts for her.
2. Cedar Shoe Trees
- Ah, the holidays. They smell of fresh pine, mulled spices, and, my personal favorite, damp, dank shoe funk. Tell him you got these cedar shoe trees to help his favorite Cole Haans keep their shape. But you know the truth. Your entryway will thank you.
3. Spotify Premium Subscription
or gift card - The upgrade from the basic version makes a great gift unless for some reason he's a huge Taylor Swift fan (she pulled her discography from the service). It's only $0.99 for 3 months, then $9.99 a month after that—still worth it. You get ad-free, offline access to basically all the world's music, and tons of comedy albums too. It's the most-used app on my phone not called Snapchat.
(DIY gifting suggestion: write your Spotify gift message on an old blank CD-ROM)
4. Layrite Deluxe Pomade
- $15 for hair goop? Haha, no way, why would I need that. I'm barely halfway through this $2 bottle of LA Looks gel from 1999. But, while I'd never buy it myself, if this stuff magically appeared on the bathroom vanity, I'd use it every day—the sign of a perfect stocking stuffer. (You can substitute the preferred hair product of his barber)
5. Leatherman Multi-Purpose Tool
- True, he probably already has one. But I like to keep one in the car, one in the toolbox, and one in the…some other place I can't remember, which is precisely why I could use another. And this one comes in black, which means even fixing your lady's broken costume jewelry can be a badass Rambo adventure.
6. Blue Bottle Coffee Subscription
- If you know someone who, like me, pretends to prefer shade-grown single-origin Ethopian coffee over Folgers instant, they might enjoy a monthly delivery of beans from Blue Bottle Coffee. You can choose the amount of coffee and the number of months you want it delivered.
(DIY gifting suggestion: put a notecard in a mug )
7. Oxo Wooden Spoon Set -
Yes, just a spoon. I like cooking and making meals for us. But I'm sick and tired of reading a recipe that says to "stir with a wooden spoon" to which I must reply, "well, this half-melted plastic spatula will do." (Substitute whatever simple cooking item your guy might want, i.e. longer grill tongs so he stops burning off his arm hair)