• Holiday Makeup: velvety skin + cheery lips

holiday makeup sequin dress

Outfit: Zara sequin dress (old – altered, similar), LOFT belt (now sold out)
    Makeup: Laura Mercier Flawless Fuide foundation in “linen” and Orchid lip glace c/o,
    Caviar eye sticks in Khaki + Tuxedo

**Black Friday weekend sale – take 25% off orders of $100+ at Laura Mercier!**
    I’m working on several DIYs to get holiday-ready (sequin clutch, full skirts, and tie-neck bows) and hope to finish the tutorials soon! This upcoming Thanksgiving weekend should be the perfect time for at-home projects before a month filled with festivities. For today I have a holiday makeup post using a few favorite products from Laura Mercier. I’m a big fan of quick and easy makeup – I’ve raved about her foolproof caviar eye sticks which work as an eyeliner + shadow in one, and also own her tinted moisturizer (I took “bisque,” for reference) thanks to several of your recommendations. In this post I’ve used LM’s new Flawless Fluide foundation, which has a little more coverage than the tinted moisturizer and a velvety finish. After smooth skin and creamy eyeliner, the only accessory really necessary is a festive lip! Here’s the same face with a different lip color to complement another ensemble:
    holiday makeup winter white stripe skirt

Ann Taylor Sweater, Kate Spade Wallet, ModCloth Skirt
    Laura Mercier “Red Amour” lip, pearl jam necklace c/o Accessory Concierge

I’m a powder foundation girl most of the year, but have found that liquid works better on winter days when my skin gets really dry. LM has a liquid foundation primer which I’ve heard great reviews about. Due to my sensitive skin, I decided to stick with my usual regimen of Eucerin daily moisturizer on my face and Aquaphor healing ointment for lips. I let both “set” while doing my hair, and then applied a coat of the flawless fluide foundation with my fingertips.
    holiday makeup laura mercier

Vintage mirrored vanity tray – similar here or here

I was told by a makeup artist that the foundation starts out thinner, and the more you shake the bottle, the more it thickens up and adds to the coverage. I absolutely love the finish (not cakey or shiny at all) on this foundation and how lightweight it feels. It’s supposed to stay put for up to 12 hours and be sweat and humidity-proof, which I appreciate although can’t speak to yet since it’s winter. My one gripe is with the packaging and tube opening, which can get messy after all the shaking. I combed through reviews online and found some helpful shopper tips that worked – 1) don’t store the foundation with the cap facing down, and 2) shake after you remove the lid, with a clean finger covering the tube opening.
    holiday makeup laura mercier 1As you can see above, one of my main trouble spots is discoloration on the chin. A layer of this foundation was enough to even out the area and conceal the dark spots. You can add concealer at this point if needed – I did not in this post in order to show the foundation coverage by itself.
    holiday makeup laura mercier 2
    For the eyes, I’m still obsessed with these caviar eye sticks and have grown my collection slowly over the year. To apply, draw a smooth line on your eyelids. I used a learned tip to draw with your eyes open (good for those with hooded eyes like myself) so you can see where the shadow will be visible when your eyes are open and it doesn’t get covered-up in the folds. You can leave it as-is after drawing on for more saturated color, or blend immediately with your fingertips for a smoky look. If blending, do so quickly as the color will “set” within a minute or two and won’t budge for the rest of the day.
    holiday makeup laura mercier 3

Left: Khaki as shadow with Tuxedo as liner vs right: Khaki alone, 2 layers blended

The most versatile color in my opinion is still “Khaki,” which is a taupe color if applied thinly and can build up to be pretty dark and dramatic. I use this often either alone, or as a base eyeshadow to layer other colors on top. I also have “Tuxedo,” which I substitute in lieu of liquid eyeliner when in a time crunch. It’s creamy and more smoldery as a liner versus liquid which is very clean. At this point you can finish your brows if needed (mine are a bit unruly and spotty these days so I used a MUFE brow pencil) and add mascara (used Benefit “they’re real”), bronzer or blush if so desired.
    holiday makeup laura mercier 4
    For lipcolor – I tested quite a few shades asking for colors that’d make a smile look whiter. Apparently the key is colors with blue undertones, like deep reds or berries, which counteracts with yellow in tooth enamel. I usually fear shades on the purple-y end of the spectrum, but loved this “Orchid” gloss and the teeth-brightening effect.
    holiday makeup sequin dress1
    I’ve been motivated to experiment more with lip color in general since it can
    change up the look even with other elements remaining the same. This was my favorite deep red out of the ones I tried – “Red Amour” in a very creamy, non-drying formula that lasted a decent amount of time.

holiday makeup laura mercier 5Thank you to Laura Mercier for sponsoring this post! Please share any of your favorite foundations for dry skin or long-lasting lip colors for the holiday season : )holiday makeup winter white stripe skirt1

57 thoughts on “Holiday Makeup: velvety skin + cheery lips

• Anonymous November 22, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Beautiful make up and outfit! Which camera do you use to shoot these photos?

• Abbie November 22, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I love the LM caviar sticks, too. I bought the 4-piece set on Sephora last month and use them almost every day. The red lip color is very pretty and goes so well with the taupe shadow.

• Eve November 22, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I love your posts, but I have to ask a question unrelated to fashion – where did you get your barstools?? Those are almost exactly what my friend has been looking for for her home for the past year!

• Blogging in NYC November 22, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I also love the MUFE aqua shadow sticks along with the LM ones. For lasting smudge proof lip color, try Stila stay all day in Patina or Aria!

• tellmeyblog.com November 22, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Love the finish of this foundation, looks very natural on you!

xx
      Yvonne

• Julia November 22, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I also recommend Clinique's Even Better Makeup SPF 15 as a good liquid foundation for winter if you have problem with dry skins. In fact, I use that all year long since the smooth liquid texture makes it extremely easy to apply with just fingers and it is a great sunscreen substitute in summer. Sometimes I have to do makeup while commuting to work… and this Even Better foundation has never failed on me!

Julia || Closet de Jules
      Recent Post: J.Crew Winter Peacoat Review

• Mei Fleming November 23, 2014 at 1:29 am

I love your make up. Especially the red lipstick.

• Olivia Floyd November 23, 2014 at 3:01 am

Of all the colors in the picture, I love the one on your nails the most <3. What brand and color is that?

• Stephie November 23, 2014 at 9:29 am

This is beautiful!

• Minaxi November 23, 2014 at 10:02 am

love this post!

• Anonymous November 23, 2014 at 11:06 am

Love that you're bold enough to show your natural flaw filled face!

• Anonymous November 23, 2014 at 11:23 am

Thank you for sharing!! (Btw, think some of the recent photos have contrast or exposure too high and it's making an unnatural glow in the background.)

• Nick November 23, 2014 at 11:46 am

It's a Canon 6D with a 50 mm lens.

• Colleen November 23, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I love the color of that caviar eyeliner!

COOCOO FOR COCO

• Anonymous November 23, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Jean, I have a similar summer sleeveless dress from Ann Taylor. I also have the same exact AT sweater. Just curious what footwear (color, etc) did you pair with this outfit? I love the dynasty red KS clutch! It really pops! That's why I'm curious what you did with the shoes? Pop or no pop? (referring to your outfit above: ANN TAYLOR SWEATER,MODCLOTH SKIRT)

• Anonymous November 23, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I can smell how pathetic you're. Sour grapes!

• Anonymous November 23, 2014 at 3:11 pm

You have such nice, glowy natural skin! I need to check out Eucerin what with this winter wreaking havoc on my poor face. That red lipstick really pulls your 2nd outfit together; reds usually lean either too blue, pink, or orange on me so the fact that Red Amour is described as a neutral seems really promising!

Thanks for the festive-look ideas.

• Anonymous November 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I think Jean's home gets a lot of natural light filtered through sheer curtains or something–I actually really like it!

• Joyce TeawithMD November 23, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I love Laura Mercier and recently bought her foundation primer in radiance. Works well on its own or under tinted moisturizer. For dark spots I recommend brightening cream or products with retinol, the only proven treatment to undo previous skin damage while preventing further wrinkles and sunspots 🙂

Xo
      Joyce
      A doc's guide to health and beauty!

• Alaina W November 23, 2014 at 4:29 pm
    • Jean November 23, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Thank you! I didn't realize Sephora had a 4pc – will have to check it out. I just saw the 6 pc gift set and grabbed it for one of my friends for Christmas : )

• Jean November 23, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Hi Eve – it's the one Alaina posted (thanks Alaina!) but an older version. We've been meaning to replace them but I'm a little attached for sentimental reasons lol. They're decent chairs and the changeable slipcovers are even better.

• Jean November 23, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I love both as well! The sharpener on MUFE is a nice touch, but I love LM's colors. Thank you for the tip on stila. I have their lip stain and will have to check out stay all day.

• Jean November 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Thank you for the tip, Julia! Hats off to you for applying foundation while commuting…I'm always in a frantic rush each morning, but haven't quite mastered that one yet!

• Jean November 23, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Hi Olivia! It's OPI "Manicurist of Seville" : )

• Jean November 23, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Hi there – I think you can do either but I personally prefer just one pop of a bright color : ) For that outfit I'd wear gold pumps with bare legs, or basic black pumps with black tights if it's freezing out. Or you can go with a neutral clutch and let color shine through colorful heels.

• Jean November 23, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Hi there – I feel you on winter and skin issues. I hope you like Eucerin…they have tons of choices but I prefer their "daily protection" best which is less thick and sticky. Been using it for probably a decade thanks to my derma!

• Anonymous November 23, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Hi Jean! Do you apply the foundation to your entire face or just a few areas? I personally don't like a layer of foundation on my entire face and was hoping what you've shown works as a spot concealer. Thanks!

• Abbie November 23, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I think it might be sold out, Jean. I haven't seen it on the web site recently. It came with cocoa, amethyst, rose gold, and moonlight. I use the cocoa and amethyst as liners. All the colors are so pretty.

• Justine Lee November 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Can you do a hair tutorial? I love how you have such effortless waves!

• prudence yeo November 23, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Love the taupe color eyeshadow, the smokey effect which can be created with this shade is really beautiful and sexy! Gorgeous lip colors too and great to know that similar shades can achieve a teeth whitening effect! Thanks for the recommendations.

Prudence

• Florence November 23, 2014 at 10:14 pm

f1.4 or f1.8? I've got the f1.8 and love it.

• Jean November 23, 2014 at 10:20 pm

1.4 for this – also have the 1.8 as well and it is indeed awesome!

• Diana November 23, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Gorgeous outfits, the make up look so elegant and chic.

xo,Diana

• heather gilmour November 24, 2014 at 4:30 am

Beautiful make up, thank you for the tips!
      The outfits are gorgeous too!

Wimbledon Upholstery cleaners

• Rachel Dinh November 24, 2014 at 10:39 am

Thanks for sharing Jean! Your skin looks flawless!

• Julie November 24, 2014 at 10:50 am

Great tutorial! I really like how the foundation works–I feel like everything I've ever tried leaves spots shining through. The eyestick is really neat too–I'll have to try! I love how you can blend or just leave as a nice thick line.

Style by Joules

• Dayle November 24, 2014 at 11:50 am

The looks look lovely, especially the sequin dress one! Even without foundation, your skin look excellent 🙂

• Anonymous November 24, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Love the vanit's tray, just what I ve been looking for! Mind sharing where you got it from? Thank you!

• Cynthia Nguyen November 24, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I love the last look and the first beauty look! They're all so great. The last look reminds me of the icnoic miu miu flare dress! Thanks for sharing. x

Cynthia