• Pattern play + fall hues

Leopard stripes scarf1

Blank NYC jacket, (3 colors), 7FAMK jeans (similar), Ann Taylor tee (old, this year’s), BP ankle boots (runs small), H&M; scarf (this year’s), Clare Vivier bag (old, this year’s)

This outfit is comprised of a lot of old pieces, but some of them must’ve been popular as the brands brought back very similar options! I’m so excited that Blank NYC restocked this little faux-leather jacket this year, and in 3 colors to boot including a versatile gray! I wear this so much throughout the year – the shrunken and cropped style makes it work for jeans, dresses and skirts alike. It’s also fitted enough for me to layer under some of my looser cut winter coats, making it useful even on the coldest days. If you’re interested in this jacket, please check out my older review since sizing does run small and narrow in the sleeves.

Leopard stripes scarf

I’m also thrilled to have found my first pair of “keeper” heeled boots in ages! They are not perfect and are still roomy, but were more comfortable and better fitting than many heeled options I’ve tried. I was actually scoping out new color options for these “Trolly” ankle boots I’m wearing in this post, when I stumbled across a taller version called the BP “Transit” boots on sale. My biggest fit issues with boots are not only calf width but also the height – having short calves, so many beautiful boots hit awkwardly at or past my knees, making walking uncomfortable.

BP boots

BP Transit boots in chocolate, sz 5.5

I love my BP Trolley ankle booties to pieces so already knew the shoe and heel part of the tall version had a good chance of being comfy. Based on the listing and the reviews, I went up half size to 5.5 for the tall boots (same size that I took in the Trolley ankle booties), which measured about 13.75″ shaft height excluding the heel, and also about 13.75″ around the widest part of the calves. As with all boots, these measurements probably increase a little bit as the shoe size goes up. Even though the site listed these to have a 15″ tall shaft, I took a shot in ordering since my beloved Aquatalia boot find last year were also listed as 15″+ but turned out to be pleasantly shorter in-person.

The height of these BP Transit tall boots was spot-on for me which I loved, but the circumference of the calf was a little roomy at the boot opening. What made these a keeper was the soft and pliable leather (vs. stiffer which is more common for tall boots) which made them really comfortable on the legs and the gap a little less jarring. Also thanks to some of your tips, I’ll be checking out cobblers who offer calf-alteration services, and will report back on the experience should I go that route!

Leopard stripes scarf2
    Leopard stripes scarf3

55 thoughts on “Pattern play + fall hues

• Pastirmaci Oya October 22, 2014 at 10:38 am

Hi. This is Oya. you look great 🙂 after ı watched , last week, your video on youtube, I gave up wearing or rather buying long cardigans. thank you Dear 🙂 please go on taking new ones 🙂

• Dressed with soul October 22, 2014 at 10:55 am

I wished really I would look as wonderful than you in your olive pants. I own nearly the same pants but wore it therefore only once and didn't like it how they looked on me. Therefore I thank you for your inspiration: I will give my olive pants a second chance!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• tellmeyblog.com October 22, 2014 at 11:03 am

You look really cute in this outfit! I like the pairing of olive pants with animal print bag!

xx
      Yvonne

• Mei Fleming October 22, 2014 at 11:31 am

Such a fabulous fall look. Love these colors and patterns together.

• Arts October 22, 2014 at 11:35 am

Jean, you look fabulous as usual. Simple pieces look so elegant on you.

• purpleheart October 22, 2014 at 11:51 am

Casual yet put together. Where is the like button like on FB so I can click!

• Audrey Lin October 22, 2014 at 11:55 am

Your scarf looks so cozy, and I love the color of your pants! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

• Kblossoms October 22, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I like the leopard print on your purse. Lovely fall look very warm and cozy http://www.kblossoms.etsy.com

• Diana October 22, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Super cute baggy.
      xo, Diana

• Sasa Zoe October 22, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Very chic! Love your jeans<3

• Brittney @ Quirky Britches October 22, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Stripes, leopard, and layers in general. Yes!

• Kim Uyen Dang October 22, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for the boots rec! Did you get the Transit in Chocolate or Brown?

• Joyce Pak October 22, 2014 at 3:13 pm

The nordstrom picture of the jacket looks a bit shiny. Your jacket looks less reflective and softer, but that might be because of the edits. What is the true coloring/"shiny-ness" of the jacket?

Thanks!

• Anonymous October 22, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Hey Jean! What color boot did you get? I'm only able to select the 'Chocolate' color.

Thanks!

• Hope Howland October 22, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Oh this look is so cute!! I love the leather with the stripes!
      Hope

• Anonymous October 22, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Those hunter green jeans would look great with the cognac color trolley booties! Thanks for the heads up on the tall BP boots, love the chocolate color.

• Suzie Q October 22, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Olive green, leather moto jacket, and leopard–a few of my favorite things for fall. I love how you combined all of those elements together! You look so cute!

Suzie Q

• Anonymous October 22, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Love the outfit! Also love your hair and lip color. Can you tell us the lipstick/gloss you used?

• Amanda Hawkins October 22, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Such a great casual yet put together look! I love effortless style 🙂

– Amanda | The Chic Counsel

• Joyce TeawithMD October 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Hi Jean! My problem with leather jackets has always been that the sleeves are too long for me. I see in your photos that your sleeves are also rolled up. Is this jacket tailor-friendly in the sleeves?

Love the cozy scarf too 🙂

XO
      Joyce

• Julie October 22, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Ok, I'm loving the jacket, the bag, and the booties. Somehow I feel like I missed your review of the jacket, but I'm heading there now to read it.

Style by Joules

• Anonymous October 22, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Jean I recently found your blog and I am so impressed. I am a bit taller (5'2" with a very narrow build) than you but definitely can relate ALL of your problems finding clothes and boots that fit perfectly off the rack. You inspired me to revamp my own work wardrobe recently! I did want to share with you a recent find of my own that specializes in made to measure boots. It's a company called Poppy Barley. They're a Canadian company started in my home town hear in Edmonton. Im sure you can look them up on instagram or on their website. I finally own boots that fit me perfect in the calf, shaft height, and the elusive ankle. I hope you'll finally find the perfect boot that you are seeking 🙂 keep up the great work!

Karmyn from Edmonton

• prudence yeo October 23, 2014 at 1:17 am

Love this casual chic look and the crop style of the jacket looks great on a petite frame! Great style!

Prudence

• annie lee October 23, 2014 at 1:45 am

love the colours in this outfit! especially that scarf! 🙂

• Anonymous October 23, 2014 at 8:14 am

Hi Jean! You look fabulous as always, but I have a question and a suggestion. I'm a bit perplexed as to why you say the booties are roomy when they are available down to size 4 and run small? Do you mean they are small enough but wide? Also, regarding calf adjustments on boots: this can be done but can be pricey. It is not worth doing on an inexpensive boot like the BP. Here's the thing – more expensive designer boots tend to run narrow in the calf, so even if you have to adjust them, the alteration will be smaller and less likely to change the fit or design of the boot. Tall boot styles tend not to change as much over time, so you should be able to keep a good pair for years. I apologize for posting as "Anonymous" but google now publishes my full name. Best – Nina R.

• A Golden Tulip October 23, 2014 at 3:06 pm

you look so cool in this outfit… love that color & fit of those jeans, and the boots go so well with that… that bag, LOVE!!! I am looking for a tall boot too, these are worth checking out,..

xo
      Hems

• midori October 23, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for the tip! Maybe these will fit my bigass calves. A bit roomy on you might be perfect on me.

• Anonymous October 23, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Hi Jean, I am looking for my first tall boots and would like to give these a try. What do you think about the bottom, is it safe to walk? Thanks!

• Anonymous October 23, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Hi Jean, you're always so stylish. I love the color of the scarf.

xoxo,
      Tiffany

• Anonymous October 23, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Hi Jean, you're always so stylish. I love the color of the scarf.

xoxo,
      Tiffany

• Kelly October 23, 2014 at 10:14 pm

What a pretty look, I love your bag!

xx Kelly
      Sparkles and Shoes

• Anonymous October 24, 2014 at 7:37 am

Do you put padding in your BP boots? I read a lot of reviews that complained the boots were uncomfortable because of no padding. If you do, what kind? Thanks

• Jean October 24, 2014 at 10:05 am

Hi Kim! Hmm…it didn't give me a choice when I ordered but I think it's chocolate? See photo above I just added : )

• Jean October 24, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hi Joyce, I would say it's not very shiny but also definitely not matte. the shine is there but low enough so that it doesn't look like cheap faux leather- to me personally, anyways!

• Jean October 24, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hi there – I got Chocolate, just posted a pic above : )

• Jean October 24, 2014 at 10:08 am

No problem – and you can't beat the price! Same as the ankle booties…I was so surprised.

• Jean October 24, 2014 at 10:08 am

Thank you! I'm wearing MAC lipstick in charismatic…one of my favorites.

• Jean October 24, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hello Joyce! I know…same here in the short arms club. The sleeves are an inch long for me but I have not yet felt compelled to take them to the tailor. Sometimes (perhaps depending on the layer I have under or how I move my arms) they scrunch and no longer feel too long. Tailoring will be a little pricier than normal because I believe there's zippers at the wrists, FYI.

• Jean October 24, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Karmyn! Thank you so much for your kind comment. I came across Poppy Barley last year and am so impressed by their company mission. I've been recommending them to any ladies looking for custom boots, however I haven't tried them myself so I'm really happy to hear that you were pleased with your experience!

• Jean October 24, 2014 at 10:21 am

Hi Nina! Sorry for any confusion and thanks for your tip! When I mention shoes run small, I usually mean in the foot area. Both the BP ankle boots and the tall boots that I've tried run smaller in the foot area than many other brands I've tried, so I've sized up from my usual 5 to a 5.5.

On the other hand, I thought the calf width was roomy. So yes to answer your question, the foot of the shoes are small enough and I love that they go down to sz 4 (might even fit sz 3.5 ladies), but the calf had room to spare for me. And I definitely agree with you that designer boots typically run narrow! My favorite (or rather, only) boots that fit well are from Stuart Weitzman and Aquatalia which keep going up in price each year, now in the $500-600+. Prada and Manolo I've tried on in the $1200-1500 arena also fit beautifully. I like to shop from a range of price points though so was impressed by these boots for just <$100. I also thought calf width alterations were frighteningly pricey, but a reader who used to live in my neighborhood suggested a cobbler who did it for just $25 per pair, which I'm very interested in learning more about!