• Jewels + bows (plus holiday weekend sales!)

loft jewel sweatshirt

LOFT sweatshirt (extra 50% off, review), Banana Republic sloan pants + blouse,

I hope those who celebrate are enjoying a wonderful Canadian thanksgiving or Columbus day weekend! This is an outfit I wore to work last week which falls on the more casual side of business casual. When I bought this sweatshirt I never intended it to be a work piece, but a few people complimented my “sweater” so I figured why not treat it as one. I layered it over a more conservative collared blouse to offset the casual material, and will be repeating this pairing over a pencil skirt.
    loft jewel sweatshirt1
    There are numerous sales this weekend at my usual favorite stores, including 40% off storewide at Ann Taylor. I stopped by to try on this cropped cable sweater which comes in 3 neutral colors.
    I love my shorter tops for highlighting higher-waisted bottoms without drowning out the waistline. This sweater has poor reviews online for the cropped style but I actually loved the fit. On someone 5 feet tall it’s not quite “cropped” like on the model, but is definitely shorter and less bulky for pairing with skirts when compared with regular sweaters.
    ann taylor crop sweater

Ann Taylor sweater, Gap jeans, Aquatalia boots (old style – the Upswing fit the same)

The fit of an xxs petite was also perfect and slim in the torso and sleeves. Ann Taylor usually runs a little big on me, so as a result I’d say this is more fitted than their usual sizing. For colors I liked both winter white (nice and fresh ivory) as well as the winter oat heather (versatile neutral). PS – these legging jeans are usually excluded from sale, but are on promo for $35 again!
    jcrew coats

J.Crew is having 30% off full priced items with select exclusions (code WEEKENDPLANS), and their Factory store has 50% off most womens items plus free ship at any price (code OURBDAY). I wanted to point out the lightweight downtown field jacket for those with milder fall weather. I finally had the chance to try one on in xxs petite (misplaced my photos but will share if I find them) and it was very slim-fitting in the torso and sleeves. Despite the straighter cut through the waist, I thought it was flattering, plus would require no alterations on someone my size.

jcrew factory coats
     J.Crew Factory down jacket ($99!) and Factory skirted coat in 2 colors (both avil. in petites)

I’ve also gotten a few requests for “stylish” puffer coats – although I haven’t tried any myself, I noticed J.Crew’s flattering option on one of my friends throughout last winter. They have a regular store version this year which is higher-priced and poly-filled (also with a lot more pockets and hardware details), and a Factory version shown above that’s currently on awesome sale for $99 and is listed as down-filled. I’m a little confused as Factory items are usually made of lower-grade materials, so if anyone has tried either version this year please share your thoughts!

Last but not least, Anthropologie has 15% off full-priced dresses and free ship on orders over $150 with code TWOTREATS. They have a good-sized Petites department where I’ve made several past purchases which I love (plus fit with no alterations needed). The promo is not much compared to other stores, but rare for Anthro!

47 thoughts on “Jewels + bows (plus holiday weekend sales!)

• Carelia Moran October 12, 2014 at 9:17 pm

The down jacket is beautiful and btw, I love your pumps, they are super adorable.
      xo
      Carelia

MYSMALLWARDROBE.COM

• Stacey October 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Praying Ann Taylor brings back that tote in navy!

• Anonymous October 12, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Lovely outfit! Would like to see a more casual outfit with this sweater too:) Do you think this would go well with a black pleated midi skirt?

Shenu

• tellmeyblog.com October 12, 2014 at 9:49 pm

That jeweled sweater looks really cute on you, and I love how you styled it for work!

xx
      Yvonne

• Olyvia October 12, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I haven't heard of the BR sloan pants for awhile. I had put it on my wishlist, and totally forgot about it! My only big qualm is the dry-cleaning. Have you tried machine washing it? If so, any effects?

• prudence yeo October 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm

The embellishments on the sweatshirt are pretty and they make the top look quite sophisticated! Love the layered look for office too!

Prudence

• jannyisms October 12, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I have the retail version of the belted puffer coat from two years ago and love it. The fit on the sleeves and torso is slim, so I suggest sizing up if you want to wear a thicker sweater underneath. But I've found that I can get away with not wearing thick layers with it; the jacket keeps me pretty warm in the winter with just a base layer. Plus the hood is detachable, which is a nice option to reduce bulk.

• Petite-ish October 12, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I tried on the jcrew downtown field jacket in I believe petite XS back in 2012, here are some photos if it is helpful for anyone. I'm 5'4" and 105lbs:

• Michelle Lee October 13, 2014 at 12:21 am
    • miri October 13, 2014 at 1:27 am

Love the first grey sweater! Great looks!
      X
      Miri

• Mei Fleming October 13, 2014 at 3:59 am

You've got the cutest figure. LOVE your shoes with the bows.

• Taramixandmatch October 13, 2014 at 6:17 am

That jeweled sweater is so pretty!

• Yvonne Laura October 13, 2014 at 6:40 am

The sweater looks great on you!

• Jenny Yun October 13, 2014 at 8:43 am

I would like to know where you shop for bra. I am 5 feet and bra size is 30a. Thanks.

• Maggie Dallospedale October 13, 2014 at 10:02 am

Hi sweetie
      this sweater is really lovely
      Kisses
      Maggie D.
      Maggie Dallospedale Fashion diary – Fashion Blog

• Linda Quinones October 13, 2014 at 10:19 am

That outfit is flawless. I love the jeweled sweater with the crisp button down and those amazing bow shoes. Those shoes are incredible! Can't wait to see it paired with a pencil skirt. Plus I love that Ann Taylor sweater. I have been on the hunt for a chunky sweater that goes well with skirts and since I'm pretty petite too, that looks like the perfect one!

• Christina Storm October 13, 2014 at 11:12 am

I love that sweater! It is so pretty on you!

The Style Storm
      <3, Christina

• Sasa Zoe October 13, 2014 at 11:22 am
    • Julie October 13, 2014 at 11:38 am

Lovely jewel colors on that "sweater"! Very cute for fall.

I'm on the hunt for a stylish puffer (the Chicago winters have gotten a bit cold of late) so I'd love to see more from you on them!

Style by Joules

• Anonymous October 13, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Hello! Thanks for the post on the coats. Have you heard of a brand called Uniqlo? It's a Japanese brand that is now making its way to the US and I see there are stores opening in Boston soon. Hopefully they'll open more stores in the Northeast. I shop at Uniqlo when I am in Asia and love their stuff. Very nice fabrics, good quality and reasonable prices. I'm 5 feet and 105 lbs. and can easily find staples there. The new coats just came out and can't find good reviews online. Would be great if you can check them out so I can buy their stuff online with confidence 🙂

• Anonymous October 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Hi! Did you end up getting the downtown field jacket? If not, what did you get in its place? Were the gold buttons on the J.Crew jacket too shiny?

• xoyaoyao October 13, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Love the 2nd sweater, it's totally my style.

xoyaoyao.wordpress.com

• Trendy On A Budget October 13, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Love how you styled the top for the office!

• Anonymous October 13, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Hi! You look great! One concern though: the AT cropped sweater has 3/4 sleeves – do you find that to be versatile for the winter? It seems that you'll need to wear a long-sleeve shirt underneath to keep the rest of the arm warm. How versatile is the cropped length?

• Suzie Q October 13, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Love how you dressed up the ornamented sweatshirt to a business casual look! J. Crew Factory sold a sweatshirt last winter season that looks very similar to the LOFT one. So it's great for anyone who wants it who missed out on it!

Suzie Q

• J October 13, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I love your style! Everything you've paired here is amazing.

• annie October 13, 2014 at 10:50 pm

love how you dress up your sweaters with a button up inside! looks smart 😉

• Daniel Wu October 14, 2014 at 12:02 am
    • A Golden Tulip October 14, 2014 at 4:21 pm

That cropped sweater looks good… perfect for petites.. and i saw some cool puffers at Express the other day.. especially loved the white one with gold hardware…

xo
      Hems

• Kstylick October 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Hi there my dear! I just want to ask if we can follow each other on Bloglovin, GFC or Facebook?

Please leave a comment on my blog and follow by blog!

You can also like my Facebook page.

I will follow you back! XOXO

Korean Fashion Blog

• Michelle October 15, 2014 at 7:36 am

Hi Jean, I wanted to chime in on that J Crew Factory puffer jacket. I bought it last year on a similar sale and as a resident of the UK, I can say it is VERY warm. The pockets are lined with a cosy fleecy material and the sleeves have the knit cuffs. I love this jacket and used it a lot last winter. I'll be pulling it out again soon!
      Also, thanks for featuring that jeweled sweatshirt from Loft. I picked it up last week along with a utility blouse (have you tried theirs? It's a fantastic piece!) and the snow leopard coat. Sadly I have to wait until Christmas when I'm back in the states to get these pieces but I am loving your ideas on styling it. Keep ' em coming!
      Also, as someone who is NOT petite (I'm 5'8"), I love your blog and get a lot of inspiration here. Thank you!

• Pat Mills October 15, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hi just stumbled across your blog am totally inspired! As someone of limited height (4ft 11in) I am loving the way you put your outfits together. Where have you been all my life? Wil be logging in again for more ideas and inspiration. ThNk you!

• Jean October 15, 2014 at 11:52 am

Hi Shenu! I think that would be nice if you try the shirt tucked in. Because it's not a form-fitting style, it needs to be styled so it looks shapely when against a lot of material on the bottom like a longer midi skirt.

• Jean October 15, 2014 at 11:53 am

Hi Olyvia! I always machine wash mine, but would recommend against machine drying unless you want it to shrink. It shrinks pretty substantially if you leave it in for a while. I haven't had problems with mine in the machine wash, but maybe the brighter colors might fade a little if you do it regularly (I'm just guessing!).

• Jean October 15, 2014 at 11:54 am

Thanks for sharing your review! I know they've changed the lady day slowly over the years and wonder if the puffer has been altered in material composition or fit.

• Jean October 15, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hi Jenny! I love The Little Bra Company. I wear a 32A there (they go down to 28a) and my favorites are the Sascha and Yvonne.

• Jean October 15, 2014 at 11:56 am

I haven't visited their Boston stores yet, but tried on some items in their NYC shop a few years ago! I did like the slimmer fits but length would need alterations in torso and sleeves. I'll keep an eye out if I pass by their local shops here.

• Jean October 15, 2014 at 11:57 am

Hi there – I have a lot of items in 3/4 or bracelet length sleeves and personally don't mind that at all. Usually when outside facing the elements you'd have a jacket on with full-length sleeves, plus maybe gloves to help seal the openings at your wrists. I find it to be preferable to sweater sleeves that are too long and can't be shortened.

• Jean October 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Hi Michelle – thank you for sharing your review on the factory puffer jacket! Sounds like not much was sacrificed for the factory version, and if this year's is as nice as yours then it's a steal for the sale price. I do have one of their Utility blouses and love how it drapes nicely and is machine washable. Hope you love your sweatshirt as much as I do!

• Anonymous October 17, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I have the belted puffer coat from JCrew in petite XX-Small and it fits my 5-foot 95 lbs frame perfectly! And, there is quite a bit of optional room in the waistline because of the tie belt. The length of the sleeves is perfect and I could see it being too short for some other ladies. The best part about the puffer is that it kept me warm through the January 2014 Chicago blizzard. I would definitely recommend it!