• Burberry Brit winter coats: Daylesmoore and Rushworth

burberry wool coat1

Burberry Daylesmoore coat in Camel (2 colors), JBrand skinny jeans (old)
     Target scarf, Manolo Blahnik BB pumps (older color), 12mm pearl studs

For the second half of my collaboration with Burberry at Nordstorm, I tried on a few more petite-friendly styles that have been brought back for multiple seasons. As mentioned in my first post, I already own & love several Burberry coats collected over the years so am not shopping for another, but wanted to share options for anyone on the hunt. I first discovered the Daylesmoore style in 2013 and loved the classic double-breasted design and large collar for extra neck warmth. I tried size US 2 last year and thought it ran slim compared to most American brands, even though the websites say true to size. When I spotted a sz US 0 in-store this year, I had to try it on to compare:

burberry wool coat3With a thick sweater underneath, the US 0 felt wonderfully fitted on me throughout and I especially liked how the shoulders felt. In the above photo you can see that chest button shows a little pulling so some would say it’s too snug.

As with all Burberry coats, shorter ladies may need to shorten the sleeves and raise the belt loops – you can see below that my natural waist was about an inch higher than where the loops are. The overall length of this coat though was perfect for me as longer outerwear.  burberry wool coat2Fit without the belt, and button and buckle details:
    burberry wool coat
    Below is the Daylesmoore from 2013, in one size up (US 2). It’s a medium weight wool blend that would probably be good for 30-50 degree weather depending on how you layer, but I wouldn’t recommended for more brutal winter days. Material content stayed the same this year at 70% wool, 25% poly, and 5% cashmere. saks burberry britThis is another photo from my archives of the Billington jersey trench, a lightweight coat that they brought back again this year. The fit runs smaller than all other Burberry Brit coats I tried. I could barely button-up a size 2, but the silhouette was very flattering especially from the side and pleated back. This one is a thinner fabric as indicated by the “jersey” title – good for fall / spring or very mild winters. saks burberry coatAnd here is a third style snapped years ago of the Rushworth wool-blend coat. The Rushworth has been brought back for at least 3 years, so I think it’s safe to say it’s a Burberry classic at this point. I helped a petite friend coat shop and this was the winner for its sleek silhouette and funnel collar, with edgier buckle on the underside. I’m trying on a size 2 below – like with all the styles shown in this post, someone my height will probably need sleeve shortening and belt loop raising.

burberry rushworth
    Burberry Rushworth coat sz 2

The “trench” or soft dove grey here is my favorite of the three colors, but if you wear foundation or lipcolor, then consider going darker for less dry cleaning costs and heartache. Against my better judgement, I’m drawn to lighter hues despite being pretty klutzy and stain-prone. One tip though is to always wear a scarf and use it as a guard between your face/neck and the jacket, to mitigate makeup or sweat transfer between cleanings. If any of you own either the Daylesmoore or Rushworth winter coats, I’d love to hear about how they’ve held up and any other styles you considered!

This post was sponsored by Nordstrom to share Burberry fall apparel. Outerwear pictured here were on loan for try-on purposes. As always, opinions are my own.

82 thoughts on “Burberry Brit winter coats: Daylesmoore and Rushworth

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I am absolutely in love with all of your shoes! Would you happen to have any tips on cleaning suede? I've tried buying those suede cleaners from stores, but they usually end up making my shoes have this hard or rough feel to them instead of the nice suede.

• C's Confetti October 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

the daylesmoore coat is gorgeous. i also love the scarf and both pairs of pumps. could you please let me know the brand/style of your burgundy pumps?

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 11:41 pm

maybe try turning off your ad blocker? I'm using Chrome right now and it works fine

• heather gilmour October 7, 2014 at 5:09 am

I like very much and both coats, but the black one is more me 🙂 The burgundy shoes are gorgeous, so cute.

End of tenancy cleaners Islington

• Doreen October 7, 2014 at 6:38 am

Hi Jean,
      I recently discovered your blog and I must say I am so glad I did! I am less than 5ft too and find your blog so inspiring I had to share it with my friends; even though they are taller than me. Your style is so lady like and so put together. I am feeling very inspired with your posts 🙂 Huge hug and thank you so much for sharing your blog with us.

• Anonymous October 7, 2014 at 11:37 am

Hi Jean, how long (in inches ) is that Daylesmore trench and your Harbourne trench ? I know that lengths is also a factor. Both of those trenches (Daylesmore and your Harbourne ) seem to be the right length for you. Where do you think a trench should hit at in term of length to be versatile to pair with both dresses and pants/jeans ? thanks very much Jean

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hi there – tough call, because I usually advise against buying a size that shows pulling like the 0 did on my chest. But if I were shopping I would probably go with the 0 because I really like fitted shoulders on coats, which is the toughest/costliest part to alter in my opinion. If you have the opportunity for any coats you're debating sizing on, see if you can try on two sizes and determine which shoulders fit best over a blazer or thick jacket. If the shoulders on the 2 were narrower, I'd probably go with that and just have the other aspects slimmed down.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Thank you so much! And that's so odd – I just tested on all browsers and they worked for me, but perhaps Anon above is right that is has to do with ad blocker.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Hi Gia – thanks for the tip on the Didmoore! I have one from a few years ago and it started out roomy on me so I can't speak to whether it'd stretch out if it started out more fitted. Sorry I can't be of more help!

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Hi Angela! In the winter I often commute in my Stuart Weitzman OTK boots for the warmth, but I hear ya on not wanting to ruin nice boots if it's sleeting or especially yucky outside. You can also get over the knee thicker socks (get black if you want to camouflage them against black tights) and wear them with rubber boots like Hunters.

Also, congrats on your new job! I think turtlenecks are definitely ok as long as it's not so tight that bra lines are showing. I would see what your colleagues wear on casual Friday to see if denim is acceptable. I'm not sure what industry you're in, but for a more professional setting like law or finance, I wouldn't do knee high boots or ponte pants with tunic even on casual Fridays. In more casual environments those would totally be OK though, so just take some time to observe what management wears!

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Hi Grace – that's too tough of a question! Like you said there are so many lines, and they range pretty dramatically in price point from hundreds to several thousand. If budget were not an issue, I would probably be most interested in trying the Heritage line, but for everyday wear and more realistic budgets I'd be happy with a classic Brit trench.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:11 pm

You're very kind, but I don't have much of a routine other than workouts at home and eating frequent but small portioned meals. I've been doing some blogilates (youtube fitness videos) at home and they are incredible for toning the stomach / arm / legs if you do them regularly.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I would agree with Lin that Burberry coats range greatly from around the $700-$1,000 mark for their Brit line and upwards of several thousand for their core and runway lines. Whether or not they're worth it really depends on your personal budget and lifestyle. You can find similar-fitting coats from stores like J.Crew for less than half the price, but I personally don't mind spending more on outerwear because you can wear it on a daily basis in the winter, unlike inner garments. I do think that no other brand does the trench coat quite as well though with all the sharp details and classic styling.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Hi Tran – BUrberry U.S. does not offer petite sizing (maybe Japan does?) so all the coats I've shown and the ones I own are in regular sizing. I look for coats that appear shorter on the models, and usually don't have a problem with the actual coat length, only sleeve length.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Copying in an answer from above : )

Tough call, because I usually advise against buying a size that shows pulling like the 0 did on my chest. But if I were shopping I would probably go with the 0 because I really like fitted shoulders on coats, which is the toughest/costliest part to alter in my opinion. If you have the opportunity for any coats you're debating sizing on, see if you can try on two sizes and determine which shoulders fit best over a blazer or thick jacket. If the shoulders on the 2 were narrower, I'd probably go with that and just have the other aspects slimmed down.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Hi there – it depends on the material of the coat as well as the store itself. I've only been to the Boston Newbury St. store, and for wool coats they were willing to adjust the belt loops and shorten and slim the sleeves. For a trench coat however they refused most of the alterations I asked for because they said their trenches were "dipped" to be waterproofed and the alterations I wanted would break the seal. Not really sure if I believe that. I have had friends who visited Burberry stores in NY and Los Angeles and they were told the only alteration that came with full price purchases were sleeve shortening and not belt loops, which is too bad! Wish there was more consistency from store to store. A reader also mentioned that for Nordstrom cardholders, there's about $100 of free alterations each year which should apply to whatever type of adjustment you want.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Unfortunately suede is so tough to clean and maintain! When I have suede heels for the day/night, I almost always have a pair of commuting flats on me to change into. I agree the sprays I've tried usually add a rough feel that's not ideal. I just have a clean toothbrush that I rub dry on the suede to try and brush off any accumulated dirt. I asked fellow ladies for any suggestions in a past post, so check out the comments here for some product suggestions: http://www.extrapetite.com/2014/07/from-desk-to-dinner.html

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Sure! They're Manolo Blahnik Lisane Bow pumps.

• Jean October 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Thank you for your kind words, Doreen! I'm so happy to be of any fashion help. Hugs back to you : )

• InspiringNancy October 7, 2014 at 11:37 pm

I love your reviews of the Burberry Trench coats! I must own one, not now due to college student income but one day when I am settled. At least by then I know which one I want (hopefully). Great post!

• Gia T. October 8, 2014 at 2:38 am

Burberry can be inconsistent with their policies, as I found out recently.

I had two different SA's at two different Burberry store locations tell me that they would do all the alterations I was thinking of for free (raise belt loops, slim sleeve, shorten sleeve AND take alteration of sleeve from shoulder to avoid ghosting). However, when I went in to have my coat fitted and altered, a third SA told me only the sleeve shortening was free and I'd have to pay for everything else. I was so surprised by this and told her what the other two SA's told me, and she backtracked and gave me all the alterations for free. :/

• Nissi Mendes October 8, 2014 at 3:21 am

I need this scarf! You looks trés jolie 🙂

Please visit my blog if you like on http://www.nissimendes.ch
      would be nice 🙂

• Kira Savchenko October 8, 2014 at 6:17 am

You look stunning! Love the scarf and your smile!
      Kira
      xx

• Netty D October 8, 2014 at 6:43 pm

You look so beautiful in these coats. The tailoring and cut of the ones you are sporting in these photos is beyond. You really can't beat the cut. Great post 🙂

• Jean October 8, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Hi there – both measure about 31-32" depending on where on the shoulder line you start measuring down from. I like exactly where these hit on me – mid to lower thigh, but it can depend on whether you prefer dresses/skirts to be entirely covered by your coat or if you want your coat to be a little shorter to show what's beneath.

• Jean October 8, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Hi Paige! It's very easy…I just looped the scarf around my neck twice and then very loosely tied the ends together and tucked them beneath the first loop.

• Anonymous October 8, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Thank you for the reply Jeans, you are very nice! I love your style

• Cynthia Nguyen October 8, 2014 at 10:38 pm

The scarf combo with this coat is too adorable. You look like you're ready for the winter holiday already! x

Cynthia

• Joyce October 9, 2014 at 1:14 am

Love that top coat! Was considering the investment until I saw the price tag >_< thank you for sharing nonetheless; I'll remember it for when I have my own practice :) Love
      Joyce

• Virginia October 9, 2014 at 2:26 am

Thanks for sharing! I recently bought the daylesmoore in camel (I'm the Nordstrom online reviewer you mentioned) and love it! I read your blog from time to time and I appreciate the helpful tips.

• tellmeyblog.com October 9, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Love the first one on you! It is a much better fit on you than the other two.

xx
      Yvonne

• Anonymous October 9, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Hi Jean, can you recommend a down a down jacket for the coldest day in Boston?

• Jennifer Palumbo October 10, 2014 at 10:22 pm

How did you tie your scarf like that? I have one that is almost identical and I love the look of it in your photo!

• wanderlistblog.com October 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Oh the cut and colour on that Rushmore coat is amazing! I probably won't have much chance to wear such a heavy outfit since moving to Sydney but oh that coat slays.

Tam | http://wanderlistblog.com/

• Anonymous October 21, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Your coat and scarf in the first picture is stunning! I'm looking for a soft Burberry trench too that is khaki color. Love how they all fit on you http://www.kblossoms.etsy.com

• Anonymous November 9, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I tried on the Rushworth today at my local Nordie's and was ready to buy it, but the alterations department told me that they could not raise the belt loops — it would leave a hole. I was so disappointed!

• brietta November 13, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Hi Jean, thanks to your post, I bought the Daylesmoore coat in size 0 and am so happy with it! Here's a pic of me wearing it 🙂

• Anonymous November 17, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I love all your burberry coats. One day I would like to own a soft khaki color one http://www.kblossoms.etsy.com

• BInuja ghising November 15, 2015 at 9:26 pm

i have same kind of coat, but i dont have the belt. i lost some weight so the coat looks a bit oversize. give me some ideas jean 🙁

• Anonymous January 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Thanks Jean for your info! I just bought the last 0 on its website. Doesn't that make me feel so great? lol Hope it fits me well!