Burberry Brit winter coats: Daylesmoore and Rushworth

burberry wool coat1

Burberry Daylesmoore coat in Camel (2 colors), JBrand skinny jeans (old)
 Target scarf, Manolo Blahnik BB pumps (older color), 12mm pearl studs

For the second half of my collaboration with Burberry at Nordstorm, I tried on a few more petite-friendly styles that have been brought back for multiple seasons. As mentioned in my first post, I already own & love several Burberry coats collected over the years so am not shopping for another, but wanted to share options for anyone on the hunt. I first discovered the Daylesmoore style in 2013 and loved the classic double-breasted design and large collar for extra neck warmth. I tried size US 2 last year and thought it ran slim compared to most American brands, even though the websites say true to size. When I spotted a sz US 0 in-store this year, I had to try it on to compare:

burberry wool coat3With a thick sweater underneath, the US 0 felt wonderfully fitted on me throughout and I especially liked how the shoulders felt. In the above photo you can see that chest button shows a little pulling so some would say it’s too snug.

As with all Burberry coats, shorter ladies may need to shorten the sleeves and raise the belt loops – you can see below that my natural waist was about an inch higher than where the loops are. The overall length of this coat though was perfect for me as longer outerwear.  burberry wool coat2Fit without the belt, and button and buckle details:
burberry wool coat
Below is the Daylesmoore from 2013, in one size up (US 2). It’s a medium weight wool blend that would probably be good for 30-50 degree weather depending on how you layer, but I wouldn’t recommended for more brutal winter days. Material content stayed the same this year at 70% wool, 25% poly, and 5% cashmere. saks burberry britThis is another photo from my archives of the Billington jersey trench, a lightweight coat that they brought back again this year. The fit runs smaller than all other Burberry Brit coats I tried. I could barely button-up a size 2, but the silhouette was very flattering especially from the side and pleated back. This one is a thinner fabric as indicated by the “jersey” title – good for fall / spring or very mild winters. saks burberry coatAnd here is a third style snapped years ago of the Rushworth wool-blend coat. The Rushworth has been brought back for at least 3 years, so I think it’s safe to say it’s a Burberry classic at this point. I helped a petite friend coat shop and this was the winner for its sleek silhouette and funnel collar, with edgier buckle on the underside. I’m trying on a size 2 below – like with all the styles shown in this post, someone my height will probably need sleeve shortening and belt loop raising.

burberry rushworth
Burberry Rushworth coat sz 2

The “trench” or soft dove grey here is my favorite of the three colors, but if you wear foundation or lipcolor, then consider going darker for less dry cleaning costs and heartache. Against my better judgement, I’m drawn to lighter hues despite being pretty klutzy and stain-prone. One tip though is to always wear a scarf and use it as a guard between your face/neck and the jacket, to mitigate makeup or sweat transfer between cleanings. If any of you own either the Daylesmoore or Rushworth winter coats, I’d love to hear about how they’ve held up and any other styles you considered!

This post was sponsored by Nordstrom to share Burberry fall apparel. Outerwear pictured here were on loan for try-on purposes. As always, opinions are my own.

82 thoughts on “Burberry Brit winter coats: Daylesmoore and Rushworth

• WendysLookbook October 5, 2014 at 11:22 pm

First! =D I need to take a trip over there and visit you! Seeing you in these coats makes me yearn for fall weather. Love the zipper pockets on the Daylesmoore trench and oversized pockets on the Billington trench!

• Petite-ish October 5, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Jean, sorry this is unrelated, but I saw this on etsy bridal shops and thought of you: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephanie-herbst/etsy-wedding-dress-guide-_b_5904218.html?utm_hp_ref=style&ir;=Style

• Jean October 5, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Oh, love this! Thanks for sharing. My friend got married this weekend in a gown from the first etsy shop listed (leanimal) and had a fantastic experience : )

• Dressed with soul October 6, 2014 at 1:04 am

Unfortunately trenchcoats doesn't look good on me but I love you in them <3
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    International giveaway: Top form by the reasons of problems

• Jen October 6, 2014 at 1:59 am

I really love the last one you posted! Maybe not the classic buttoned trench look, but the funnel neck looks so modern and sleek!

• prudence yeo October 6, 2014 at 6:08 am

I love the large collars as I find that they introduce a very subtle dramatic touch to the look of the classic trench coats! Really chic!

Prudence

• Taramixandmatch October 6, 2014 at 6:11 am

That top coat is total perfection on you!

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 8:31 am

I always wonder how people can walk around all covered till nose with autumn/winter coat, scarf, etc. but wear stilettos. Don't you get cold? Or is this just the style for photos?

• Sasa Zoe October 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

Love these coats! Gonna be great for winter<3

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 9:57 am

So did they give you the coat or just send it to you for a review? What does sponsor this post mean? curious.

• Jean October 6, 2014 at 10:19 am

Good question and I think it differs for everyone – I have friends who wear heels year round rain or snow and even commute in them. I commute outdoors in flats (yes sometimes feet are still exposed but if I'm walking quick enough it doesn't feel cold) and then change into heels at the destination. This coat does not belong to me so these photos were taken on my deck for this post.

• Paige Ma October 6, 2014 at 10:38 am

I love the first coat especially! Maybe someday I'll take the plunge and get a Burberry coat. I have two little kids now so wearing coats that can take spills, etc without fear. 😉 Can you post a tutorial on how you tied your scarf in the first picture? I love it!

• Jan October 6, 2014 at 10:40 am

I have the Rushworth from 2012 after you tweet about it. It feels soft and luxury and still does after cleanings. I am 5 foot 2 and it need no alterations. I like the daylesmoore next for a brown jacket but don't know how to decide what size. After a little baby weight the first coat is a little hard to zip! I'm not ready to give up all my pre baby clothes yet : (

• Jean October 6, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hi there – I disclaim all gifted products on this blog with "c/o" or "thanks to." I added additional detail in my disclosure here that all photos in this post were coats being tried on only, not leaving the store or my home/deck. I work a lot with Nordstrom because I feel they are in-line with what I buy and blog about on a regular basis. They don't gift products, so "sponsor" means they provided compensation to blog in general about a brand or topic, where I could use either photos of items I already own, purchase new items, or use stock images. I've posted a lot about my Burberry coats in the past and thought it'd be more useful to share actual reviews of current options. Let me know if that helps clarify things as I value transparency in these types of posts.

• Julie October 6, 2014 at 11:07 am

That coat is lovely, and I spied that scarf online this weekend and fell in love with it. It's very similar to an Aldo version I just purchased.

Style by Joules

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 11:41 am

appreciate you explaining. I think all bloggers should be more clear about this. I have a lot of blogs on my bloglovin that do same type posts for same companies. Only half of them say its sponsored and the other half no comment.

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Great advice. I recently (3 yrs ago is recently?) relocated to a colder city and I still don't know how to be fashionable in the rain/cold. Great idea on the changing of the footwear. – A different Anon

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 12:13 pm

That green sweater is beautiful! Where is it from?

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Hi Jean! Did you find the size 0 at a Nordstrom store or a different department or Burberry store?

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Also, when did you find it in the store? Thank you!

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Jean, your blog is wonderful! Did the Burberry size 2 (first one) still fit well on you? Would you recommend it since there is no size 0 online for women of similar size to you?

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Which size (0 or 2) did you prefer in the end, since winter requires layering?

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm

First of all, I have to tell you I love your blog!

Just wanted to let you know, the links on your posts only work from Internet Explorer. I always use Firefox, sometimes Google Chrome, and the links don't work from these browsers. At least for me; I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem.

• Gia T. October 6, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I love the fabric of the Daylesmoore, it looks so cozy!

I haven't tried either of those you mentioned, but I did find a single-breasted style very, very similar to the Daylesmoore, called the Didmoore (also at Nordy's) and found their size 2 fit great everywhere else, but had some slight pulling at the chest since I'm a bit busty.

Do the wool/cashmere blend coats stretch over time?

• Angela October 6, 2014 at 12:56 pm

This might be a repeat, since my Google ID never seems to successfully post. I was wonder, how do you keep your knees warm in snowy weather? Like you, I tend to wear boots, tights, and skirts, and then switch to heels at the office, but my knees are always cold (I take public transit). I don't want to ruin nice OTK boots, nor look like a pumpkin in huge rainboots with liners and and calf-length down coats. How do you do it?

• angela October 6, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Also, I'm starting a job where it's much more senior than I actually am, and want to look older, and taken seriously, but also true to my style. The style is business casual. Is something like the following too form fitting (turtlenecks are my fave in the winter)? I know I can throw on a blazer, but I don't want to look TOO serious on a daily basis and like I'm trying to hard. http://bit.ly/1ts1jmU

What about skinny jeans on casual fridays (nice, dark, and not jeggings, obv). Are black knee high boots ok? What about black ponte-like pants with a long sweater on casual days? Thanks!

• kimmie October 6, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Ahhhh, I am totally in love with the Daylesmoore! I was obsessed with finding it last fall but by the time it went on sale my size was out (of course). Plus now that I'm more of a stay at home mom, a super nice coat just isn't practical for my lifestyle (I barely wear my J.Crew Lady Day coat because it's "too nice" for 99% of the places I go). It looks really good on you, Jean!

• Jean October 6, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Hi there – I found it at Burberry recently. Nordstrom might carry it down to a 0 in-store (as that has happened with some of their items before) but I'm not sure. I just found it online at Burberry as well in size 0, and other retailers may have it too: http://us.burberry.com/short-double-wool-twill-trench-coat-p38990501

• Jean October 6, 2014 at 2:25 pm

THank you! It's an oldie but goodie from J.Crew.

• Grace Hui October 6, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I've always thought of getting one but never had the courage to just splurge on one! If you could just pick one burberry trench, which one would you pick? There are so many styles online, brit, london and heritage line.

Thanks!
    Grace

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Jean, you are so skinny! How do you stay in shape? Good genes or do you exercise? Do you mind sharing your routine?

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for explaining. I always wondered about it when I'd see your posts with c/o or sponsor on it.

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Jean, would you mind sharing the price range for these jackets? I hear or see "Burberry" and it just screams out $$$$. But if it's a quality piece, I don't the investment.

• Tran Huynh October 6, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Are these coats in petite sizing? Because when I clicked on the link it's just regular sizing. I"m scared that the length might be too long.

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Hi Jean! Thanks for sharing these! Do you prefer the fit of the size 0 or 2 for the first coat since it is meant to be worn during winter?

• Hope Howland October 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Oh I hear you on the klutzy part.. I love each of these coats and I cannot wait till it's cold enough to wear them again!
    Hope

• Lin October 6, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I have a trench found on sale for $700 and I also have a winter coat that was about $2,100 before duties. The range is pretty large dependent on what category of Burberry.

• rodelma lopez October 6, 2014 at 7:48 pm

are these coats comes in bigger sizes? …when I see you wearing it im inspired to wear and own one too

• Anonymous October 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Hi! I have a question that you probably know the answer to since we are both petite! Will Burberry actually alter the coat to lift the belt/waist higher as part of their free alterations for full-price purchases, or is that too complicated for them? What alterations did the Burberry tailors do for your past coats?

• Linda Quinones October 6, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I recently purchased a camel color Burberry coat and could not be happier. I'm petite in height, but have bigger hips, but I managed to find the perfect one that felt nice and fitted, but still gave me room. I love this review, especially since you reviewed multiple styles. It's easy to get overwhelmed when shopping Burberry and I found this to be incredibly helpful!