Floral + trench and Burberry Reymoore review

trench floral fuschia

Burberry trench coat (old, sz 2 altered, similar), LOFT top + J.Crew pants (both old)
Manolo Blahnik BB pumps, eBay 12mm pearl earrings (similar), Parentesi tote (old, similar)

I’ve done no shortage of Burberry posts over the years, so was excited at the opportunity to blog more about their current collection. I already have a few of their coats which I love to pieces and am not yet in the market for another, so wanted to share some similar options. The trench coat style is full of history, plus combines rainy day functionality with a flattering belted silhouette – what’s not to like?

trench floral fuschia2

Out of the dozens of options ranging greatly in price, I picked three styles to try from the lower end of Burberry’s trench pricing – the Marystow poplin short trench (25% off), the Mottram poplin trench (30% off), and the cotton Reymoore trench with detachable hood. All three are by Burberry Brit, which is their (relatively) less-expensive “sportswear” line, versus their core London line and extravagantly-priced Prorsum runway collection.

Fit: The brand only makes regular sizing, so prepare to need some sleeve alterations if you are on the shorter side, but look for a good off-the-rack fit in the shoulder, torso, and length. I tried a size 2 in all of them (apparently some styles now come in 00 or 0, but 2 was the smallest I found in these) and the Reymoore fit best for me personally:

Burberry brit trench

Burberry Reymoore trench (I’m trying the $795 option, and there’s also an $895 one with removable quilted lining, which seems like a nifty feature!), JBrand jeans, BP booties (size up)

For someone my size (approx 5 feet tall, 32-24-32), I’d suggest the same alterations I got on my Burberry trench – shorten and slim sleeves, and move up belt loops (see “back” photo below with the belt at my natural waist). Be sure to wear a thick sweater or blazer when getting measured for alterations so you leave enough width for layering. Please note from my last tailoring post that these alterations may leave small stitching holes behind when the loops and straps are shifted upwards. Reymoore details:

burberry brit coat

I also really liked the Reymoore’s zip-off hood with large front “neck warmer” flaps – wish more jackets came with these options for windy + rainy days! I wasn’t able to take photos of the Marystow or Mottram, but the torso and sleeves on those felt noticeably roomier than the Reymoore. I would say the latter style runs at least 1 size small compared to U.S. brands, while the Marystow/Mottram fit more true to U.S. brands. Sizes go quickly due to markdowns, so if you don’t see yours you can check back for re-stocks, or call stores with the style # (Nordstrom will ship to homes for free and price match other retailers with the exact style).

1. Marystow poplin, 2. Mottram poplin, 3. Reymoore cotton

Cut + Material: I liked the slim Reymoore cut best, but between just the two “M” styles I personally preferred the regular shoulder cut on the Marystow vs. the raglan or baseball-style sleeves on the Mottram. I have narrow sloping shoulders that could use a little definition so raglan doesn’t usually work for me. Material-wise, all are water-resistant light to medium weight and I actually liked the poplin blend (65% poly, 35% cotton), as it’s a slightly stiffer material than the 100% cotton of the Reymoore, but that’s personal preference.

Styling: Other differences include light marbled horn buttons on the Marystow, dark on the Mottram, and a dark champagne bronze metal on the Reymoore that I liked best out of the three (the pretty marbled ones being a close second). Each style also came with classic Burberry details like buttoned shoulder epaulettes, back storm flap (for water droplets to drip off to the ground and not onto your back), stiffened collar with clasp, and belted wrist cuffs. I hope those of you interested get to try on a few to find one perfect for you, as the trench is truly a classic piece that can be loved for years to come. If anyone has insight to share, I’m curious what some notable differences are between these Brit trenches and the London ones priced at double or more!

This was a sponsored post by Nordstrom to share Burberry fall apparel. As always, opinions are my own.

70 thoughts on “Floral + trench and Burberry Reymoore review

• Sasa Zoe September 23, 2014 at 12:03 am

Classic Burberry trench coat! I love it<3

• Julia September 23, 2014 at 12:08 am

For more affordable alternatives, Zara also has many lightweight, versatile and stylish trenches. Because of the lightweight, they are incredibly convenient when I have to wear another layer of business suit jacket inside. I bought one many years ago and am still wearing it every single fall/winter.

Julia || Closet de Jules
    Recent Post: Workwear – Playful Yet Professional

• Dressed with soul September 23, 2014 at 1:01 am

Your look so wonderful in your classic trench! Unfortunately a trench doesn't look good on me, otherwise I would also in invest in such a timeless piece.
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

International giveaway: Top form by the reasons of problems

• Happiness at Mid Life September 23, 2014 at 1:33 am

I think you can never go wrong with a classic like Burberry. One of these days, I would love to own one but just not sure I would make much use out of it since it's too warm here in Southern California.

I do love this top paired with the pink pants…very unexpected! I will be borrowing this look since I have the same top.

Alice

• Gia T. September 23, 2014 at 2:14 am

Oh darn! I wish I knew about this style earlier in the day because I was just at their store trying on my first Burberry coats ever. 😀

Is there a difference between the fabric/feel of the Reymoore vs. the ones from the London/Heritage line? I really want to invest in a Burberry coat, but now I'm torn between the traditional coat (I love the Sandringham) and the extra features on this Brit version.

• xoyaoyao September 23, 2014 at 3:15 am

Really like your post. You've made me wanna invest in a Burberry trench. Unfortunately they don't have it in my size anymore at the Nordstrom website :'(

xoyaoyao.wordpress.com

• tellmeyblog.com September 23, 2014 at 3:42 am

Love how this Burberry trench looks on you, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on these styles. They are very helpful tips.

• Anonymous September 23, 2014 at 5:01 am

For some reason, every time I buy a trench coat they always get lost. I had one from APC that I got on sale, lost it after a night of partying, then I had one from Uniqlo that I also lost when we moved apartments…maybe it's just not meant to be. Though if I had a Burberry one I would never let it out of my sight.

• Živilė Dap September 23, 2014 at 6:59 am

I love trench coats, I think they're so chic and feminine!
    xx

• Carol from Petite Style Online September 23, 2014 at 7:32 am

Thanks for sharing your review 🙂

• FASHION SNAG September 23, 2014 at 7:32 am

Love the classic Burberry trench!

• Chrissabella September 23, 2014 at 7:54 am

The classic trench from Burberry is such a great investment piece, love this look!

chrissabella.blogspot.com

• Angela September 23, 2014 at 8:32 am

I love that it has a hood. Super chic yet very functional.

• Ashley September 23, 2014 at 9:28 am

Did you prefer the Reymoore to the Harbourne?

• Thao, T. P, Nguyen September 23, 2014 at 9:56 am

Uniqlo's Ines de la Fressange collection has a trench coat. I recommend trying Uniqlo out, as they cut definitely smaller, in between Asian and US sizing. I'm shy of 5'4", finding most normal jackets too long on the sleeves (or the back length) and most petites narrow at the shoulders. I have been completely happy and infatuated with Uniqlo so far. Plus, the material feels luxe.

• Thao, T. P, Nguyen September 23, 2014 at 10:04 am

Uniqlo include the detailed measurement of their trench coat (WOMEN IDLF TRENCH COAT) so we don't have to buy it to check it out. 🙂

• Julie September 23, 2014 at 10:55 am

Great post! I've always loved Burberry's trenches (though they are a bit out of my price range). I like how colorful your outfit is!

Style by Joules

• Linda Quinones September 23, 2014 at 11:30 am

Love! I so desperately want a Burberry trench because I think they are an amazing investment and such a classic piece. I love how you styled it, especially with the color combo of the pants and heels.

• Anonymous September 23, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Hi Jean,
    Thanks for another great post! I too am a lover of the Burberry trench for all occasions, albeit too petite to have one fit right off the rack. Especially the arms are always too long and I am not a friend of the visible residue of former stitches left when moving the wrist buckle-straps and little belt loops. I was long hesitating before buying one because of this.
    But to all ladies out there who hesitate for the same reason there is a very easy fix (as my tailor showed me)!!!! What he did was the following:
    He didn't shorten the sleeves by just cutting them off and reattaching the buckle-straps&loops; further up the sleeve. He removed the tiny belt loops that hold the buckle-straps, then cut into the sleeve right where the buckle-straps were. He left the lower, shorter part of the sleeve as it was. He cut the amount by which the sleeve had to be shortened off the longer part of the sleeve (the one still fully attached to the body of the trench if you know what I mean). Then he sewed the two parts of the sleeve together again and reattached the buckle-strap right on top of this new seam in a way that the lower part of the little belt loops where back in the exact same place as before and the higher part of the belt loops were newly attached further up on the sleeve. The new seam is fully covered by the buckle-strap and cannot be seen unless you look for it under the buckle-strap.
    And voilà – sleeves shortened without any visible signs whatsoever!
    I was totally thrilled and have been wearing and loving my trench ever since 🙂
    I hope this tip will help someone out there!
    All the best and good luck,
    Kathairna

• Anonymous September 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Hi Jean, Can you pls tell me what color is your BB pumps? Thanks much.

• Sweets &amp; Style September 23, 2014 at 3:35 pm

What a beautiful outfit! Love your pumps and the pants!
    XX
    Miri

• Cynthia Nguyen September 23, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Thanks so much for the trench coat review! It's very helpful and I love your pink pants. They're such a great and playful to have in your wardrobe. x

Cynthia

• Daisy @ Simplicity Relished September 23, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I'm amazed at what you were able to do with this coat! And your photos always make me miss Boston:)

Daisy @ http://simplicityrelished.com

• Anonymous September 23, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I love your style but the prices of most of the clothes are outrageous! Who in the world would spend $700+ for a coat? It's absurd! I will still continue to follow because you have great looks that I have "matched" at a price much closer to my budget.

• Unknown September 23, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Greetings from a fellow Boston-based petite person who works in financial services! 🙂 Jean, i have a color question for you . Nordstrom has two light colors, one called taupe, which seems to be the more "classic" trenchcoat color, and a color named trench that is lighter and seems like what you may have in the pics above. Would you recommend one versus the other? Thank you!

• Anonymous September 24, 2014 at 1:15 am

Hi Jean,
    I was confused about who the sponsor was and had to click your links to see that it was probably Nordstrom. I don't understand the omission about who the sponsor is, it seems a bit disingenuous.

• Anonymous September 24, 2014 at 2:22 am

Hi Jean! Have you ever tried the Buckingham trench (from the London line)? It's 100% cotton, so would that mean it's not rainproof?

• Nina September 24, 2014 at 8:37 am

Thank you so much for sharing the tip. May I ask which state/city your tailor is? I'm desperately looking for a good one!

• Soprano2 September 24, 2014 at 8:51 am

I have to say you have an amazing tailor, I never would have thought to do that. What an ingenious solution.

• Soprano2 September 24, 2014 at 8:57 am

Jean you always make me think about different ways to combine styles and colors, I never would have thought to wear that top with those pink pants but somehow it works! I love seeing how you pair clothes together.

I don't have a trench coat yet, I've got a trench-like raincoat in petite 10 that I got from Land's End. It's purple, definitely not a classic color but it's different. I wish it had a belt and arm buckles, that would make it fit even better. Even with a petite size the sleeves are a little bit long on me.

I wish you would look at Land's End petites and give us your opinion of them, the past few years they've been upping their game with more stylish offerings. They offer a lot more styles in petite than they used to, and my local Sears store even started carrying some Land's End petites in their stores. I've gotten some nice pieces from them at a reasonable price.

• jess September 24, 2014 at 10:09 am

These sponsored posts are beautiful, but I miss the fitting room pics of current BR and Loft looks.

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Gia, I have one from what I think is the London line (since it doesn't have a Brit label) and the material content %s and look seems exactly like the poplin coats under the Brit line I just tried. The Reymoore does feel different, more cotton rather than the smoothed polyester blend. You should definitely visit some stores if you can to compare in person!

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:11 am

Oh no! I hate losing clothing…maybe third time will be the charm : )

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:14 am

I like my own better because of the poplin material. However back then I don't remember there being slim fit options (other than Prorsum which was pretty pricey) and I would definitely liked the entire coat to be more fitted (very "casual fit" on me in sz 2 and tailors at the time advised against taking it in). I also have another Burb coat that is very old but has the detachable hood and liner like the Reymoore now has and always wish the Harbourne did too…

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:14 am

Thank you for sharing, Thao! I hadn't had much luck personally with Uniqlo but they just opened up in Boston so I'll be sure to check it out again.

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:15 am

Yes, very skilled and resourceful of him! Thanks for the tip!

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:17 am

Hi there – I got them ~ a year ago and the color on the receipt was called "sempre verde" I believe

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:19 am

I think that is the beauty about reading blogs and fashion websites – taking inspiration from others and recreating with your own pieces, since everyone has varying budgets : ) For trench coats around a lower price point I keep hearing good things about Banana Republic and J.Crew's classic trenches which often qualify for their promotional discounts.

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:23 am

Hi there! I think it's all personal preference and what is more flattering on your own skin tone. The one I own and am showing in the outfit photos is close to the "trench" available this season, however all three of the coats I ordered were pretty much the same in color. If you are interested in buying a trench, perhaps stop into the Burberry boutique on Newbury to try on styles and then jot down names and color codes of your favorites, then look at other retailers for when they go on sale (that's what I did years ago and it worked out nicely!).

• Jean September 24, 2014 at 10:29 am

Hi there – I think I did a long time ago. I was told by their sales associates that all of their trenches are treated to be water-resistant (never really water PROOF, but in a light rain water should roll off versus seep right in as with regular cotton). This was several years ago however, so I'd be interested if they kept up with that special process or if certain quality aspects had fallen a bit to the wayside like with most brands over the past few years.