Floral + trench and Burberry Reymoore review

trench floral fuschia

Burberry trench coat (old, sz 2 altered, similar), LOFT top + J.Crew pants (both old)
Manolo Blahnik BB pumps, eBay 12mm pearl earrings (similar), Parentesi tote (old, similar)

I’ve done no shortage of Burberry posts over the years, so was excited at the opportunity to blog more about their current collection. I already have a few of their coats which I love to pieces and am not yet in the market for another, so wanted to share some similar options. The trench coat style is full of history, plus combines rainy day functionality with a flattering belted silhouette – what’s not to like?

trench floral fuschia2

Out of the dozens of options ranging greatly in price, I picked three styles to try from the lower end of Burberry’s trench pricing – the Marystow poplin short trench (25% off), the Mottram poplin trench (30% off), and the cotton Reymoore trench with detachable hood. All three are by Burberry Brit, which is their (relatively) less-expensive “sportswear” line, versus their core London line and extravagantly-priced Prorsum runway collection.

Fit: The brand only makes regular sizing, so prepare to need some sleeve alterations if you are on the shorter side, but look for a good off-the-rack fit in the shoulder, torso, and length. I tried a size 2 in all of them (apparently some styles now come in 00 or 0, but 2 was the smallest I found in these) and the Reymoore fit best for me personally:

Burberry brit trench

Burberry Reymoore trench (I’m trying the $795 option, and there’s also an $895 one with removable quilted lining, which seems like a nifty feature!), JBrand jeans, BP booties (size up)

For someone my size (approx 5 feet tall, 32-24-32), I’d suggest the same alterations I got on my Burberry trench – shorten and slim sleeves, and move up belt loops (see “back” photo below with the belt at my natural waist). Be sure to wear a thick sweater or blazer when getting measured for alterations so you leave enough width for layering. Please note from my last tailoring post that these alterations may leave small stitching holes behind when the loops and straps are shifted upwards. Reymoore details:

burberry brit coat

I also really liked the Reymoore’s zip-off hood with large front “neck warmer” flaps – wish more jackets came with these options for windy + rainy days! I wasn’t able to take photos of the Marystow or Mottram, but the torso and sleeves on those felt noticeably roomier than the Reymoore. I would say the latter style runs at least 1 size small compared to U.S. brands, while the Marystow/Mottram fit more true to U.S. brands. Sizes go quickly due to markdowns, so if you don’t see yours you can check back for re-stocks, or call stores with the style # (Nordstrom will ship to homes for free and price match other retailers with the exact style).

1. Marystow poplin, 2. Mottram poplin, 3. Reymoore cotton

Cut + Material: I liked the slim Reymoore cut best, but between just the two “M” styles I personally preferred the regular shoulder cut on the Marystow vs. the raglan or baseball-style sleeves on the Mottram. I have narrow sloping shoulders that could use a little definition so raglan doesn’t usually work for me. Material-wise, all are water-resistant light to medium weight and I actually liked the poplin blend (65% poly, 35% cotton), as it’s a slightly stiffer material than the 100% cotton of the Reymoore, but that’s personal preference.

Styling: Other differences include light marbled horn buttons on the Marystow, dark on the Mottram, and a dark champagne bronze metal on the Reymoore that I liked best out of the three (the pretty marbled ones being a close second). Each style also came with classic Burberry details like buttoned shoulder epaulettes, back storm flap (for water droplets to drip off to the ground and not onto your back), stiffened collar with clasp, and belted wrist cuffs. I hope those of you interested get to try on a few to find one perfect for you, as the trench is truly a classic piece that can be loved for years to come. If anyone has insight to share, I’m curious what some notable differences are between these Brit trenches and the London ones priced at double or more!

This was a sponsored post by Nordstrom to share Burberry fall apparel. As always, opinions are my own.

70 thoughts on “Floral + trench and Burberry Reymoore review

• Juliet Clark September 26, 2014 at 3:20 am

Gorgeous outfit! Love how you styled the trench coat, great accessories as well 🙂

Awesome hair product giveaway at http://julietsthreads.blogspot.com

• Cam September 26, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Hey Jean. I just want to say that I enjoy your post about how to look older. I am wondering if you can do an updated version of that post since it has been 4 years. Maybe discuss more ways to look/dress older, or perhaps even how to look more mature on college campus. Most of the girls at my school wear a big t-shirt, nike shorts, and a pair of chaco sandals. I am not into that that style. Maybe you can give me some tips of what to wear and at the same time, how to look more mature for my age.

• michelle-currently September 26, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Hi Jean, which seasons can we wear the trench coat in? I got one from Zara in classic khaki/tan color. Great posts and inspirations!

Thanks,
    Michelle

• Jean September 27, 2014 at 12:06 am

When I was looking years ago, I was on a tighter budget then so there were a number of classic style trenches that I would've been happy to find and purchase at a slight discount. I was definitely not set on just the Harbourne so probably would've been happy to pull the trigger on the Buckingham as well (I remember Kelly of Alterations Needed did a review on that style and it looked beautiful). I hope you find one perfect for you : )

• Jean September 27, 2014 at 12:07 am

Would you have any examples or links of these Korean vendors and where you heard that their items ran small? I'm sorry I don't have any insight to offer, but I'm curious to see!

• Jean September 27, 2014 at 12:10 am

Tough question! I had a black Burberry raincoat before I got a lighter color one….I absolutely love the look of the lighter color however it does dirty. It'll show wear behind the neck and at the wrists, and I have to dry clean it at least every few months in fear that it'll become permanent staining, and that doesn't always get it out. Black on the other hand I don't give even a second thought and I wear it through rain, sleet, snow, etc. and it looks nice and sleek, but I just don't love it as much as a khaki. If you're focused on lower maintenance then I would suggest the black, but you can't beat the classic look of a lighter trench!

• Jean September 27, 2014 at 12:12 am

Hi Cam, thanks so much for your feedback. I'll definitely keep your request in mind. On the other hand, I still apply those same tips every day. In my recent post about styling denim, white blouse, blazer + leopard flats I feel that can serve as guidance for a casual but put-together outfit for class.

• Jean September 27, 2014 at 12:14 am

Hi Michelle! I wear mine Fall through Spring. In the winter on "warmer" days, I layer a wool blazer and oversized scarf with it as an alternative to a lightweight wool coat. Zara makes some great ones – enjoy yours!

• Sophia R. September 27, 2014 at 9:01 am

I adore trenches, but being very petite myself, I have always feared they would look make me look very dwarfed. I love how it looks on you, so I am definitely going to give it a go this season! x. Sophia

• Joyce Pak September 28, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I love your Manolos! The color goes really well with the top. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on all the trenches!

• Anonymous September 29, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thanks Jean, that's really helpful!

• Mary Lennuitte October 4, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Cute hair! Tutorial?

• Florence October 18, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Bought this today on Newbury! The fit is divine and I am waiting so anxiously for my alterations to be done.

• Elisha Kelly November 18, 2014 at 6:46 am

Look chic with your outfit, especially your fuschia jeans. Find accessories that will add beauty to your outfit.

• Princess Elisha November 19, 2014 at 8:32 am

I like you outfit!! Love your coat!!

New FASHION post on http://www.robecart.com

• Su Luo January 6, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Beautiful blog and always helpful tips! ! I was hoping for your expertise on where you would go for tailoring of a Burberry trench I bought on sale. It's the arms that need slimming and my question is- are Burberry tailors (I know sale items are not free tailoring) necessarily better than the highly-(yelp)rated tailors in Boston?

• Jean January 10, 2015 at 11:03 am

Hi Su – I actually don't even know if they tailor items that were not purchased there anymore (did you buy it at the store?), even at a fee. Also sometimes they will refuse alterations like sleeve slimming if they think it will damage a waterproofing seal at the sleeve seams. If they do accept the job, I would probably opt to do it there since Burberry tailors should be more familiar with working with the brand's items.

• burberry trench coat April 13, 2015 at 6:59 am

burberry trench coat style is suit for everyone & you can wear it everywhere. you should try short & knee length trench coat…it looks nice to you. i like to wear trench coat over jeans & skirts also.classic trench coats are timeless…so you should go for it!

• lsheng December 3, 2015 at 4:35 pm

would love to know how you did your hair, looks so nice especially in the 2nd pic!

• Unknown August 16, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Hi, how about a polyester reymoore trench with wool vest? I am usually wear us2, do you think it runs small? Would it be better than a 100% cotton trench? Pls advise, thanks.