• Back to basics

white top denim scarf looks 670

Top left: H&M; blouse,(free ship w/code 2288 until 9/27), J.Crew blazer, Prada bag
    Bottom left: H&M; hat (I took M) and scarf, Nine West shoes c/o (size up if betw. sizes)
    Right: Gap “real straight” jeans (current season options), Halogen heels, Chanel bag

Lately I’ve gone back to basics and keep reaching for this flowy blouse and distressed pair of jeans. Pair with a wool blazer and printed heels for a more tailored look, or swap in a cozy, oversized scarf and loafer flats for lazy afternoons. For me, each garment in this post is a closet foundation piece that will hopefully stand the test of time. If you’re just beginning to build up a wardrobe and feel overwhelmed by options, starting with pieces in a navy, camel, and fresh white color scheme makes for classic and easy chic pairings.

Jewelry must-haves: delicate layering necklaces – Stella & Dot “On the Mark” + heart (sold out) c/o and oversized pearl earrings (I got 12mm from eBay, buy similar 12 mm styles)

white top denim blazer
    As an added bonus, all items here also happened to fit off the rack. The H&M; blouse runs true to their sizing (which is on the small/narrow side, for those new to the brand) and the only tailoring I might do is to shorten the sleeves. Please note that the back of the white version is sheer so you need a nude bra or camisole. I reviewed a similar blouse by Pleione before which is pricier and fits roomier (so size down), but thought the polyester quality and overall draping were nicer.
    white top denim
    white top denim blazer1
    I wore this last outfit on Saturday while playing “director” for our friends’ engagement shoot (it beats us as to how, but Nick’s made a small name for himself within this genre of photography). Coaching picture-perfect smooches all over town is hard work, and I’m glad I dressed comfortably : )white top denim scarf

62 thoughts on “Back to basics

• Ellen September 22, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Got it, thanks!

• Jean September 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

thank you! It's an old destructed wash from a year ago…hope they'll bring something like that back! Sydney at Sydney's fashion diary reviewed the current darker destructed pair a while back, if you'd like to see what that looks like in a non-stock image!

• Jean September 23, 2014 at 9:05 am

Hi there – the blazer fit perfectly : ) The sleeves are not too long, in fact they hit right past my wrists so those with longer limbs may find it to be "bracelet" length.

• Jean September 23, 2014 at 9:05 am

Thank you so much, Trish!!

• Jean September 23, 2014 at 9:05 am

THank you! The necklaces are Stella and Dot. The arrow is the "on the mark" necklace which is still available.

• Kayleigh September 24, 2014 at 11:42 pm

It's a bizarre thrill to get as excited as I just did to see you wearing something I own! LOL! I looked at that blouse and thought, "Oooh! I have that!" and double checked your description and indeed I do! That is really such a gorgeous, versatile piece!

• Anonymous September 25, 2014 at 10:20 am

Thank you! 🙂

• Miel October 15, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Hi Jean! I'm always referencing your blog and am a big admirer of your style, so I'm hoping for your input. Between the leopard flats and leopard pumps, which do you find you wear most often? I don't have the budget yet for multiples, but I've been seriously eyeing a pair of kitten heels by Isaac Mizrahi and those Nine West smoking slippers for winter. Do you have any advice for picking a pair that's versatile, comfortable and chic? Are kitten heels a mistake?

• corgipoop October 17, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hi Jean– do you have any recommendations for seamless nude bras that would be appropriate for wearing under work tops like this? Nude camis, bras, etc. I used to have a strapless VSecret nude bra but I'm kind of looking more for a nice comfortable cami. Thanks!

• Elisha Kelly November 18, 2014 at 6:53 am

Cool outfit!! I like her boyfriend jeans. Find accessories that will add beauty to your outfit.

• Princess Elisha November 19, 2014 at 8:55 am

Simple yet adorable outfit! Love it!!

New FASHION post on http://www.robecart.com

• Ethel Evans November 20, 2014 at 1:02 am

Bought the top immediately after reading your blog. Wore it this weekend at a marriage retreat and my husband loved it.