Summer lace + jacquard shorts

lace and houndstooth1H&M; lace top (similar), F21 shorts (gift from the lovely Elle, old), Talbots sandals c/o,
Old Navy hat (similar here or here for less), Coach bag, Williams Sonoma basket

I wore this breezy outfit last weekend for an afternoon of sun and sangria with my girlfriends. I love my share of ankle strap shoes, but flat ones especially can be tough to pull off on short and stout legs. I balanced them out with a shorter hemline, and chose high-waisted vs. low-rise bottoms to continue that leg line. These jacquard shorts were a gift from a friend, and I like how the material takes a casual piece up a notch. lace and houndstoothI’ve posted several times before about the quality of Talbots accessories, and these sandals are no exception (especially for the 60% off sale prices!). I received the styles below, both of which have a small heel or wedge for support but are low enough for long walks.

Left: Parisi sandals (comes in several colors) and Right: Rosie espadrilles, both c/o
talbots sandals

I got sz 5 in both (typically wear 5 – 5.5) and would say these run about half a size big, true to the online reviews. The shoes fit me since I’m usually between sizes, but I can see the back of heel cup (see very last photo) and length being a little roomy for those who usually wear a solid sz 5.
talbots sandals2I’ve walked a while in each and found both styles to be comfortable, but my personal favorite is the Parisi leather sandal for the chunky heel support and softer back cup & strap material. I love the bright orange and teal versions – would go for those in a heartbeat if I didn’t have short legs to worry about! Here’s a snapshot of how they look on.
lace and houndstooth2I got this top last month at H&M; and unfortunately can’t find it online. It was $29.95 and is cut slightly boxy and cropped, with an exposed back zipper. I might shape the sides a bit, but do enjoy how it conceals overeating at summer picnics and BBQs. Forever 21 has a similar one in 3 colors, which I imagine to be equally if not more boxy.
lace and houndstooth4

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! lace and houndstooth3

45 thoughts on “Summer lace + jacquard shorts

• Liz | Shopping My Closet July 14, 2014 at 12:28 am
  • tracy July 14, 2014 at 12:35 am

I have been admiring those nude sandals for a while (still think they are a bit pricey now). having second thoughts now that I have seen them on you, only because I realize I don't like how the nude color goes with the skin tone. I will need to try them on in the store to see how they look just to be sure.

• Mei Fleming July 14, 2014 at 1:05 am

Such a pretty summer outfit!

• thedemuremuse.com July 14, 2014 at 1:49 am

Really loved how you styled the boxy lace tank top with the shorts. I saw the same top at H&M; a couple weeks back in the store and kept fussing with trying to tuck it into a skirt because that's the only way I know how to wear boxy shirts. If I can find it in stores again, I'm going to have to try this again with the fitted shorts.

Hope you had a great weekend!

xo,
    katrina
    thedemuremuse.com

• Polly @ Tasty Food Project July 14, 2014 at 2:22 am

I've been really into lace lately and love that top!

• Li July 14, 2014 at 8:38 am

Such a cute outfit. I really like the top!

Li (simplyli.com)

• phiphis blog July 14, 2014 at 10:09 am

sun, friends and sangria.. best combo! 🙂

you look really adorable in this outfit!

• Anonymous July 14, 2014 at 10:13 am

Cute outfit..!!! Kicking myself for not buying this top! I had my eye on it but somehow didn't purchase. I'll try to find it again!

Shenu

• Emily July 14, 2014 at 12:01 pm

This outfit is adorable. And dude, you do not have stout legs.

• Tianna Gallinaro July 14, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Such a great look. I love the yellow houndstooth print with the white lace!
    xo Tia | http://www.bigcitytyro.com

• Jade July 14, 2014 at 12:27 pm

How cute is your outfit! I really love your style!

• lanpartyy July 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I'm not petite by any means but I love your blog and sense of fashion! I appreciate that this post featured some F21 and H&M; pieces too..I'm 31 but I'm convinced I can still dress the part while still shopping here for a while (I hope!) <3 from a fellow Bostonian!

• Helen Veyna July 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I love the soft color of those shorts. I also really like the shape of that boxy top, and the way that it looks with the entire outfit. It gives a bit of a more laid-back feel that is perfect for Summer..

-Helen Grace

• Julie July 14, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Those sandals are super cute!

Style by Joules

• Petitetomatoes July 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm

cute and casual

• Anonymous July 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Love the top and white sandals! The shorts and nude sandals are only so-so.

• A Golden Tulip July 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm

This look is so casual and love the jacquard shorts, pretty! Those sandals are perfect neutrals!

xo

• Anonymous July 14, 2014 at 3:42 pm

The Clovelly Peplum Top that you recommended from Anthropologie awhile ago is now on sale for $19.95 in several colours with lots left in both regular and petite sizing. I saw it in your post and loved it on you wanted to get one but found the original price to be too expensive for the material. I grabbed one last night in the black as soon as it went on sale! Just thought some readers might like to know if they wanted to pick one up but didn't!

• Giovanna July 14, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Such a cute look! Loving that top and your hat!

xx
    Giovanna

• Heather July 14, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Such a sunny summer outfit–love it! Your recommendations are beyond helpful for us extra petite girls!

• Anonymous July 14, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I have bought the exact same pair on the left. Very nice outfit! : )

• Kstylick July 14, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Hi there my dear! I just want to ask if we can follow each other on Bloglovin, GFC or Facebook?

Please leave a comment on my blog and follow by blog!

You can also like my Facebook page.

I will follow you back! XOXO

Korean Fashion Blog

• Anonymous July 14, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Hi Jean!

Just curious… What do you have in your picnic basket? I love to picnic and am always looking for ideas!

Cheers
    Wendy

• trés beans July 14, 2014 at 10:50 pm

so cute! love the picnic basket. perfect summery look 🙂

• Miss Hot Couture July 15, 2014 at 12:07 am

What a cute and lovely summer outfit! Those Talbots espadrille sandals are so cute. Too bad there's no Talbots near me!

• Taramixandmatch July 15, 2014 at 8:41 am

The lace top and those shorts are so cute together!

• Anonymous July 15, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Hi Jean, I loved the white skirt you posted on your Instagram today. What other shoes would you pair it with? I don't have cute bronze heels 🙁

• Anonymous July 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Your legs, like the rest of you, are skinny. There is no doubt that you are underweight for your height for whatever reason (your ethnicity, fast metabolism, genetics, etc). But the fact remains that you are underweight and skinny. For you to say that you have stout legs is laughable, especially when you (legs included) are skinnier than a great majority of women.

• Anonymous July 16, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Hi Jean, would it be possible for you to write an editorial to J.Crew's new size 000? I'm hearing a lot of backlash to this size; ppl are saying it promotes anorexia, unrealistic expectations, etc. Since you are one of the most well known petite bloggers, I think you ought to use your influence to make the general public aware that small, short women exist and that we need clothing retailers to cater to our sizes too. Thanks!

• Jean July 16, 2014 at 11:46 pm

They are very close to my skin tone, which I personally like but I know others may want more contrast. Maybe try the bright colors instead? Orange is a few shades from nude and oh so summery : )

• Jean July 16, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Aw…good luck! I'm sure they'll come out with something similar again. They seem to often have lace and cropped pieces.

• Jean July 16, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for sharing! I think the fit can be tricky for different body types which is why it has such mediocre reviews and went on sale for so much. Hope it works out for you!

• Jean July 16, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Hi Wendy! It was an impromptu gathering so I made what I could using what was in the fridge…mini bagels (I'm addicted to the Market Pantry everything-flavored mini bagels at Target!) with egg salad on top. Put a little chopped pickles and scallions in the egg salad – big hit! Would love to hear your favorite portable picnic foods!

• Jean July 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Hi there! White is a blank canvas so the possibilities really are endless! You can do a simple and chic black and white look with black pumps, strappy sandals and a casual top tucked in, a colorful shoe and denim jacket…etc etc. Hope you have fun with it!

• Jean July 16, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Hi there – the backlash is tough to hear but I think J.Crew could have gone about catering to that size demographic a little differently. I've mentioned in past posts that they are one of the biggest 'vanity sizing' offenders in mainstream fashion, and they say so themselves that their sizing runs big. I think it's fantastic that they're offering smaller sizes, but the measurements of this new 000 are bigger than most sz 2s in Europe, and also bigger than their own sz 4 or 6 a decade ago. So in that sense, I do think in a society where eating disorders and body image pressure is prevalent for women, labeling a size triple 0 (rather than just correcting their sizing relative to standard sizes) is a bit concerning. I really hope they'll continue to offer extended sizing for short and small-framed ladies, but will duck out of this hot topic online for the aforementioned reason.

• tracy July 17, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Yes, I actually did try the style on and ended up getting the bright blue ones. The color is a bit out of the box for me but it looks nice and is also a very summery color. I was surprised how much I like the color. Tells me that I do need to go to the brick-and-mortar store once in a while. 🙂

• Angela July 18, 2014 at 11:26 am

I love high waisted shorts– been on the watch all summer. A trick I found in the meantime is to get a pair of high-ish shorts, and connect it to a wide stretchy belt the same color a little higher so it reaches your natural waist-line. Add a breezy blouse tucked in and you get a perfect hourglass figure (I am a complete rectangle so this is amazing).

• Anonymous July 18, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Have you read Rachael Ray's reaction to this? Here are a few quotes: "…it's the most silly, asinine thing I've ever heard in my entire life…what human with any sort of reasoning skills wants to be a 000? It's just ridiculous…is there a need for a triple 0? No…" Now tell me that doesn't offend you!

• Little French World July 19, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I love this combo, this is beautiful & elegant !
    What's your white nail lacquer ? It seems so great ! 😉

I discover your blog & I love your style ! ♥

• Suzy Garcia July 20, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Fantastic outfit. Love the Talbot sandals!

-Suzy Garcia