Jade scallops + ivory crochet

scallop peplum 1

Anthropologie Clovelly top (also in 3 prints), Yoox sandals (old), Gap outlet hat
Modcloth lace skirt (old, similar w/ extra 50% off), BR jacket (old) and sunglasses c/o

Thank you to the anonymous reader who let me know the Dedham mall Anthro now carries petites! I’m not there too often, but apparently it’s one of the more “happening” shopping centers in this region – saw signs for a new Neiman Marcus last call, AT, Madewell, and more interestingly, a Uniqlo coming soon. Now about this top…I fell in love with the darling scallop details and slight peekaboo back, which adds a little something while still fully covering up bra straps. It comes in two solid color choices plus windowpane and floral prints, in both regular and petite sizing. The fabric is soft and comfortable, and the cut is breezy for the rapidly approach summer heat.
scallop peplum 3This top is on sale for over 40% off with most sizes remaining online and quite a few in-store. The fit is designed for someone short-torso’d or short-waisted. Looking online, the unsatisfied reviews are from women who either found the waistline to be too high or the length too cropped, which means this could work well for shorter ladies. I would say the length and waist placement of the regular sizing is very similar to petite sizing tops from other brands.
scallop peplum 2
Fit reference: I tried on the regular XS, the petite XS, and the petite XXS. The regular and petite XS fit very similarly in torso width, but the regular was longer by 1 – 2″ with lower waistline placement. I liked the length of the regular XS but it fit wide on me throughout with neckline gapping. The petite XS was still loose, just shorter. One size down in the petite worked nicely but I wouldn’t recommend the length of this size for anyone over ~5’1.” If you normally wear petite XS or above, I’d suggest trying the regular sizing for the length you’re typically used to.
scallop peplum 5
Material is a stretchy, light to medium weight with crepe-like texture. The quality in my opinion is good with all the scallops done evenly and reinforced on the backside (lord knows it takes patience to do these little scallops right…I’ve yet to attempt a DIY again after making this tutorial!). The peplum waistline has elastic to accommodate some expansion after meals. Material content is 70% cotton, 28% poly, and 2% spandex. Machine wash cold, lay flat to dry and reshape.

Measurements of XXS petite: 13″ wide shoulder to shoulder, 14.25″ across armpits, 14″ length from top of shoulder to waistline, 22″ total length.
scallop peplum 4I had worn this outfit with my beloved Ferragamo Vara shoes, until I noticed I was walking with a bow on one foot and just a lump of dried glue on the other. Thankfully I found the rogue bow and scrounged up enough tape to make it home to Nick’s shoe repair services. I’m hoping the issue was just due to the vintage condition (I estimate mine were at least ~ 15 years old) and not a common occurence.

38 thoughts on “Jade scallops + ivory crochet

• Mei Fleming June 3, 2014 at 1:10 am

Love this silhouette! It's so polished and feminine. Anthro petite is awesome.

• twentysomethingsimple June 3, 2014 at 1:15 am

I love that top the more I see it on people. I regret not trying it on when I was in store a couple of weeks ago!

xo Kimi

• Anonymous June 3, 2014 at 1:28 am

Hi Jean! I have a question for you. As the size of my wardrobe increases, I'm having trouble keeping everything organized. How do you organize your clothing? Could you show photos of any storage for clothing you have? Also how do you keep shoes organized? Mine just sit in a sad little heap. Thanks again!

• Jean June 3, 2014 at 2:12 am

Hi there – I've been looking up ideas for clothing and accessory storage and hope to implement and share some once I'm finished moving! All my stuff is in boxes now so terribly disorganized : ) I saw some good ideas with DIY shoe racks using tension rods (like the ones for curtains) to keep heels propped up in an organized fashion. Pinterest is pretty helpful on this front. Good luck!

• Dressed with soul June 3, 2014 at 2:27 am

Love also this outfit! And now I'm really happy that I decided today also to wear a lace skirt 🙂

• Anonymous June 3, 2014 at 2:44 am

Hi Jean! Lovely outfit! The top looks good on you but I'm wondering whether it'll sit too high on my waist. I'm 5 3".

Shenu

• k come karolina June 3, 2014 at 3:06 am

i love this look!!!

xoxo from rome
    K.
    kcomekarolina.com

• Anonymous June 3, 2014 at 4:26 am

You look just a great. Hey, I want that skirt for my niece's wedding . Should I take that floral print top? I'm scandinavian blonde. And that DIY skirt- tuning animation was great. Just starting doing that. Best wishes from Finland from Anu, 5,0" 🙂

• rodelma lopez June 3, 2014 at 4:33 am

so girly and beautiful..like it

• Tuuli June 3, 2014 at 5:52 am

Hi! I just found your blog an I fell in love straight away! I'm from Finland and unfortunately we don't have any stores for petite women. We had one in my home town but that boutique quit. So, I trust Asos Petite 😉 By the way, you look awesome!

• Taramixandmatch June 3, 2014 at 6:03 am

The back of the top has such pretty details!

• Debonita @ Elegantly Fashionable June 3, 2014 at 8:52 am

Jean, the top is absolutely beautiful. Love the colour combination of the top and skirt x

• Anonymous June 3, 2014 at 10:02 am

Thank you for the quick reply!

• NTrina June 3, 2014 at 11:32 am

Hi ladies,

Don't know if you gals have seen this – Ikea has this great shoe storage that would not only keep your shoes out of dust but also give your room a more polished look by hiding the heap away. There are many other options to choose that are a bit more pricey. I chose to buy 2 of these since they resides in my mud room; hence, doesn't need to be fancy.

Cheers,
    Trina

P.S. Love your blog, Jean! ;0)

• EM June 3, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I love the back design of the top, it's such a classy look!

ERICA'S EDITION

• A Golden Tulip June 3, 2014 at 4:38 pm

love this top…like how you have styled it…

xo

• Courtney Dunsmore June 3, 2014 at 5:02 pm

The details on the back of that top are so darling,I love it!(:

• snippetswithalex.com June 3, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I was so close in buying the same top, but it was a little too big and they didn't have a smaller size. 🙁 Looks great on you though!
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.com

• Suzie Q June 3, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Such a cute peplum top, love the green color! It looks great paired with the cream lace skirt! So pretty!

Suzie Q

• Julia June 3, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Love that top!! I will have to run to Anthropologie tomorrow during my lunch break to check it out 🙂

• Miss Hot Couture June 3, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Love the outfit Jean! In regards to Uniqlo, there are several already in the SF Bay Area, I don't really understand the the hype. I browsed the store and it feels like a Daiso or Ichiban Kan but for clothes.

Cheresa

• Anonymous June 4, 2014 at 1:24 am

Hi Jean,

Where did you find the hat? I have been looking for a hat everywhere and most o/s or small to medium pieces are too big for me. That looks perfect on you. Wondering if you find petite hats somewhere or do I have to go to juniors?

Thanks!

• pumpkinmommy June 4, 2014 at 8:41 am

I think about 70% of my wardrobe is Uniqlo. I look forward to reading your opinions on the brand.

• Anonymous June 4, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Jean, Where is the jacket from? I like the silhouette.

• Petitetomatoes June 4, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Very cute top. I love peplum tops. =)

• fromacoffeeshop June 4, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I am so in love with this top but I don't know what size to get so I'm going to the store tomorrow! Thank you for putting together such perfect outfits for us petite gals!

• Giovanna June 4, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Such a cute look! Loving that scalloped top! The color and fit are great!

xx
    Giovanna

• Aeroplane and Apparel June 4, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Lovely look. So cute top. I am loving the green top. I am thinking of combining green with yellow for my next post 🙂

New short look exploring Port Melbourne at http:aeroplaneandapparel.blogspot.com

Love Ash

• latesttrendfashion.com June 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm

love the hat and the skirt!!

• Jean June 6, 2014 at 1:18 am

Oh yes, love this! I saw it on Pinterest and thought what a nice and discreet design. Glad you're happy with yours and thanks for sharing the link!

• Jean June 6, 2014 at 1:19 am

Hi Shenu – I think it might be on the shorter side, but please take a look through the reviews. Several of the ladies share their height and how it worked out for them. Some are taller near 5'6" and they said the top worked for them!

• Jean June 6, 2014 at 1:20 am

Hi Anu! I think either the red print or this emerald would look stunning against blonde hair. Hope you have a fabulous time at your niece's wedding!

• Jean June 6, 2014 at 1:21 am

Hi Tuuli! Aw – thank you so much! Do you have an h&M; there? Even though it's not petite specific, I've found so much great stuff from there (you do have to look harder past the super trendy, lower quality pieces) that fit pretty well off the rack. I also do love ASOS : )

• Jean June 6, 2014 at 1:22 am

Hi there – it's from Gap outlet and is recent, plus was on sale for under $10! I have to say I think I have a pretty big head for my height as I haven't had problems finding hats that fit..usually a size S/M from stores work for me. I'm sorry i can't be of more help : /

• Jean June 6, 2014 at 1:22 am

Thanks! It's an old swing jacket from Banana Republic. I wish they'd bring something like it back!

• Allison June 15, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Hi Jean,

Glad you mentioned Uniqlo, because I was curious if you had tried any of their garb. I bought a silk blouse a couple of months ago, and it was was baggie and super long. I botched the sewing job, too. It just doesn't seem worth it unless they had a legitimate petite section. What's been your experience?

• Trendy On A Budget June 22, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Love this pairing, both in style and colors!

• Princess Elisha November 19, 2014 at 9:50 am

So creative! Love your outfit!! So chic!!

New FASHION post on http://www.robecart.com