Snow day: Anthropologie petites scroll coat

snow day scroll print coat2

Anthropologie Petites Hesa cord coat (no longer available), J.Crew satchel (similar under $25)
Stuart Weitzman boots (current version starting in sz 4)

This coat is one of those pieces that may not appeal to everyone, but had me smitten at first glance. We were pulling into a garage many months ago when I spotted it on a lady across the street. My friend said he’s never seen me run as fast as I did after her, but alas it wasn’t fast enough to find out details. A few weeks later, I was randomly moseying through an Anthropologie and was elated to spot the same coat on the sale rack. The fit was very roomy but it was something I loved enough to get alterations on. I ordered a 0 petite (shipping is waived if you order from inside any store) and let my tailor work his magic.
snow day scroll print coat
“A doll’s coat!” he exclaimed when I brought it in. I emphasized to my tailor to maintain the original silhouette, taking it in but making sure it’s not so snug that the back vent looks pulled open. As seen below, the proper shoulder width makes a big difference, especially if the rest of the coat is less fitted.
snow day scroll print coat alter

Before — > After shoulder narrowing, plus torso and sleeve slimming

The cost of my alterations was $45, but please note that this is unusually low for a lined coat. Prices for a similar job at the average tailor could be closer to $100. Even for me at the same tailor, seemingly similar jobs have yielded much higher price quotes. I am usually pretty happy with the results (and know it’s a ton of work), so never argue!
snow day scroll print coat1
The coat is made by Leifnotes – a branch of the brand Leifsdottir that features prints and details “inspired by the designers’ global travels.” I’ve admired Leifsdottir items before at various stores, and just learned that they will soon become an Anthropologie exclusive brand.

H&M; dress (last posted here), American Apparel turtleneck tank (sz M, review), girls shrug sweater
*FYI, Boston Tannery is having 30% off Stuart Weitzman boots in-store. I took a pic – if you live chat or call and get a nice Nordstrom sales associate, they might price match)

snow day scroll print coat3

55 thoughts on “Snow day: Anthropologie petites scroll coat

• Le monde des petites January 24, 2014 at 12:08 am

Wow! Your coat is gorgeous!!!! Love it!
    So pretty on the pics, as usual!!!!

xoxo

Le monde des petites

• Emily January 24, 2014 at 12:15 am

You look gorgeous as always! What top are you wearing over your dress? Is it from Gap?

• Jean January 24, 2014 at 12:21 am

Thank you, Emily! It's actually a turtleneck tank top from American Apparel, with a shrug sweater over it : )

• Anonymous January 24, 2014 at 1:01 am

I really like color of your lipstick. What color and brand is it?

• Anonymous January 24, 2014 at 1:24 am

Hi Jean! I am considering purchasing the SW 50/50 boots, but I am hesitant due to my height (4'11"). I tried them on, and I love the fit. I don't know if I can justify the purchase. Do you have any outfit recommendations with these particular boots? I love the styling in this post with the skirt (dress).

Thanks!

• Maggie Adofo January 24, 2014 at 1:46 am

Such an amazing jacket <3 I really like the skirt.

xo
    Maggie A
    LOVEMAVIN.COM

• Siyaam Ally January 24, 2014 at 1:48 am

So stunning! 🙂

• Dressed with soul January 24, 2014 at 3:24 am

You jacket is perfect and I wished really I had this jacket also in my closet! And your skirt with the bows is the ideal match <3

You get again the best mark for your sense of style!

• gigisgoneshopping January 24, 2014 at 4:02 am

It's beautiful! What a find. And you're right about that being low for alterations.

• FASHIONANDMOVIES January 24, 2014 at 4:41 am

how lovely, smart alterations by the way you really upgrade it!

• Rachelle (http://pinksole.com/) January 24, 2014 at 5:14 am

This coat is amazing, seriously.

xo
    ​PinkSole​

• eveange66 January 24, 2014 at 6:34 am

I really like this coat and the pattern, it is different from all we usually see. But I have one question which keeps coming to my mind: how on earth you and much other fashion bloggers I saw do you keep warm in such freezing weather with so few clothes on? I mean we all heard about the snow storm on the east coast and the sub zero temperature. I would not only wear ONE sweater and a coat + a shrug but would layer several plus socks and wool stockings and a really warm coat (and obviously this one does not seem a warm wool coat). I really do not understant. THIS IS NOT a snarky question but a real wonder to me as often I look like Michelin boy 'cause confort and heat are keys for me. Do you all have a secret I should know? And not even for the sake of being fashion would I sacrifice them to look better.

• Emy January 24, 2014 at 7:35 am

That's such a gorgeous coat! It makes me want to hit up my Anthropologie store just in case there's an extra one lingering around.

• V January 24, 2014 at 8:19 am

This. I want to know too. 🙂

What is the composition of the coat? Is it heavy/warm?

I like to dress fashionably and I used to only wear tailored wool coats during the winter. However, the older I get (and I'm only now in my 20s!), the more sensitive to the cold I get, and this year I finally "had" to switch out my beautiful wool coats for a Patagonia down coat. My dream coat is now a Canada Goose parka. Kind of sad, huh?

I'm thinking about having my tailor switch out the flimsy linings of my wool coats for a fleece or wool lining, otherwise my wool coats are never ever going to see the light of day again. I just don't see how a wool coat can beat a down coat for warmth and lightness.

• Patrícia M. January 24, 2014 at 8:20 am

Super in love with that coat! It looks perfect with the red mini bag, the perfect color accent!

• V January 24, 2014 at 8:21 am

Oops, I meant to reply to eveange66. 🙂 Sorry about the confusion!

• Unknown January 24, 2014 at 9:25 am

I don't see anything on the Tannery website about a sale… is it just in store? (I live in Boston).

• Jean January 24, 2014 at 10:03 am

Thanks! It's Revlon "Ravish me red"

• Jean January 24, 2014 at 10:13 am

Eveange66 and V (below) – V, there's nothing at all sad about a down parka! It's all personal preference…i can't live without my down comforter but prefer wool for coats. I can't speak to other bloggers but I am behind in posting so what I show doesn't always reflect the current temperatures. I also have a very short walk from my front door to the subway, and from subway to work.

That being said, the current weather has been downright frigid! I don't remember it ever being so cold. There's no "secret"…my daily uniform has been lots of layers and winter accessories: http://instagram.com/p/jUsEvOl3he/ It's the thickest coat I have and I also "line" it with an Old Navy sweatshirt-like blazer over my outfit for the day. I wear skirts a lot so add long biking shorts underneath (over the opaque tights) plus tall leather boots to keep legs warm. On the day of the snowstorm I switched to kids rubber hunter boots plus fleece liner socks.

• Jean January 24, 2014 at 10:16 am

I wear these all the time because of the fit and flattering look (over the knee style surprisingly lengthens shorter legs, in my opinion). I'm a skirts and dresses girl though so my outfits with these don't have too much variety from what's shown here and in this old post: http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/11/review-stuart-weitzman-tall-boots-for.html

Have you seen Wendy's Lookbook's pairing video on these boots? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHumK-JQRZ4 She also has worn them with jeans and pants throughout her blog posts if you'd like more ideas!

• Jean January 24, 2014 at 10:18 am

Ah I didn't even realize they had a website….just looked and it seems very outdated. It's a chain of shoe stores around Boston – there's one by Copley, one by Arlington station, one by Harvard Square and probably more. They sell most designers like SW, Ferragamo, Valentino, Prada, YSL and more…they don't have very many sizes left at all in SW 50/50s though.

• misscatlo January 24, 2014 at 10:37 am

Ah! Amazing outfit! I bought my SW 50/50 here in NY and I didn't even know there could be a 30% sale ! I love these boots to death! 😉

• Caitlyn January 24, 2014 at 11:34 am

You look so lovely, Jean! Can you send me a link to the pearls you're wearing? Mine never stands out in photos.

• Anonymous January 24, 2014 at 11:42 am

I love how mixed the two patterns up! What's your rule of thumb on mix and matching different patterns without it looking too much?

• Emma January 24, 2014 at 11:51 am

WOW, this is a striking outfit! As for big Winter coats, try a Michael Kors down jacket (it's long & fitted), and makes you look slimmer (as opposed to bulky). I've seen these types of coats at Marshalls, but got one for less than $100 from eBay.

• Petitetomatoes January 24, 2014 at 1:28 pm

This is a really cute outfit.

• FW January 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I have a couple of items from Leifsdottir. One of my favorite pieces is a lace dress that I scored from their sample sale a few years ago.

• The Mad Ingénue January 24, 2014 at 7:47 pm

That coat looks amazing! I think your tailor really coined it with the "doll's coat" description 🙂

xx Lily
    ww.themadingenue.com

• mc January 24, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Love the coat! And the outfit and the photos =)
    -mc

• anita b. January 24, 2014 at 8:58 pm

You always look flawless! Love the red lips with the black and white coat
    On you!! So refreshing.

• Morgan Liti January 25, 2014 at 12:30 am

I've been drooling over the 50/50s for so long and always assumed they would look awful on a petite frame, but you just completely proved me wrong! They look amazing on you – might have to try them now! 🙂

-M

• EM January 25, 2014 at 1:02 am

The outfit looks absolutely gorgeous! And you looks so beautiful 🙂 Loving the coat!

• Carola Disiot January 25, 2014 at 4:42 am

this coat and skirt absolutely amazing!!!!!
    Carola

PursesintheKitchen.com

• Anonymous January 25, 2014 at 7:14 am

Hi, Love the coat design but I REALLY like your ongoing explanations on how to do alterations for petites. It has really helped me improve my eye and understand what I'm looking for when it comes to a good fit for petits. My level of confidence when going shopping and dealing with the tailor has greatly improved. Thank you VERY much.

• Anonymous January 25, 2014 at 10:33 am

Stunning & unique coat. Looks perfect on you.

• C January 25, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I love the coat! And the dress is extremely cute too.

Kind of off-topic but I have a related question– how did you do your hair in this photo? Or more specifically, if I want a kind of shorter version of this haircut, what should I tell the stylist?

I am pretty much this same situation — 5'2", 95 lbs, asian baby face. I haven't had a professional haircut in a LONG time but want to get one soon for a job search. I have the asian straight, black, shoulder-length hair.

I'm just looking for a simple haircut that won't need too much fuss to look professional. But I haven't gone to a professional stylist in a long time, I know basically NO hair lingo, haha. Anyone's advice would be super appreciated!

• Victoria January 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm

That's a beautiful coat. It totally worth the alteration price.

• Melissa L. January 25, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Can you share who you use for a tailor? I'm in the Boston area would love a personal recommendation. Your clothes always look polished and fit and I agree, proper fit = best look.

• Sharon Lei January 25, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Jean, I love this look from head to toe! I always admire you for taking the time to tailor all your clothing to really flatter your petite frame. Tailoring surely does work wonders. 🙂 And I love how you manage to look so chic and amazing in the winter! Hope you're staying nice and warm. 🙂

xx Love & Aloha

• Anonymous January 25, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Love your blog! I'm just a mom at home with kids, but I used to be a working single girl in Boston. You always look happy! And you seem so sweet. I love that about you. Don't change. You are as lovely as can be. It is an inner beauty as much as an outer beauty.