Cobalt blue velvet & Ted Baker Boston Holiday Event

Ted Baker blue velvet dress

Ted Baker velvet dress c/o and borrowed clutch, Kate Spade Licorice pumps, vintage bracelets

Fellow Bostonians, join me next Wedensday, December 11th at the Newbury Street Ted Baker store for a little holiday shopping party (RSVP here)! There will be a 20% discount throughout the store, plus catered snacks and cocktails.
Ted Baker x ExtraPetiteFor those who aren’t familiar with Ted Baker, they’re a British brand that started out as a contemporary men’s line before branching into womenswear as well. I’d best describe their designs as tailored pieces with classic silhouettes, but also a touch of whimsy through unique prints/linings and interesting details.
Ted Baker blue velvet dress4
I chose this dress for the event as I love the flared silhouette with cobalt blue velvet. I haven’t tried on a thing in this material since the days of the velvet /velour sweat suit, which most of us now try to wipe from our fashion memories.The return of the fuzzy fabric works for this piece and pairs easily with metallic accessories.

Ted Baker’s sizing is a little different – clothing starts in 0 and goes up to 1, 2, 3 and so on. In my experience, their clothing in stretch materials run narrow (several of their dresses in sz 0 are pretty fitted on me, even though the size chart equates them to a US sz 2), but the lengths are designed for a figure taller than mine. Here’s how this dress looked on me off the rack:blue velvet dress altearations
This dress was a good candidate for an easy alterations trick that you see on here often. I had my tailor take it up by the shoulders about 1.5 inches, which effectively made the armholes smaller, plus raised the waistline and the hem. The results appear subtle but make a difference. As seen in the photo above, the torso is pretty narrow (with a bit of stretch) so it did not require alterations after being shifted in place. My tailor charged me just $15 to take up the shoulders, but I estimate this could cost $20-$30 at other tailors for a lined dress.
Ted gift gold clutch
Couldn’t resist a chance to turn the camera on my photographer! These photos were taken again at the lovely Liberty Hotel, where one of our holiday parties will be at next week (I’ll be back in the same ensemble – a no-brainer).
ted baker 4

Ted Baker blue velvet dress3
Hope to see some of you on December 11th! PS – 201 Newbury St is a two-block walk from Copley Station.

40 thoughts on “Cobalt blue velvet & Ted Baker Boston Holiday Event

• Olyvia December 6, 2013 at 12:22 am

Lol on the velour track suit memory 🙂 The color of the dress looks amazing on you! And I think you and Nick look better than the couple in the advertisement!

• zozo December 6, 2013 at 12:51 am

That first shot is gorgeous. Jewel tones, lighting and parcels. So moody and mysterious!
    zozo @ atelier zozo

• Le monde des petites December 6, 2013 at 2:07 am

What a wonderful outfit! Love the dress, the clutch and your sandals!!!!
    You are beautiful!!!

Jul du monde des petites

• Anonymous December 6, 2013 at 2:11 am

That first picture is so stunning Jean. I agree with the first commenter, you and Nick are such good looking couple. Would you mind share what brand and color is that nail polish you wear here? thank you

• Carol Li December 6, 2013 at 5:11 am

Ted Baker is a great store for petites although like you I have to make some alterations on some items but not all. I love the photos of you both. It's a shame that there isn't one of the 2 of you together.

• TaraMixandMatch December 6, 2013 at 6:43 am

You look stunning in blue!

• kimyen ly December 6, 2013 at 10:13 am

These pictures can end up in ads..very prettyy

• understatedclassics.com December 6, 2013 at 10:33 am

Smart move on tailoring. The dress now looks so much more "one of a kind" and the fit really looks flawless! You look great in cobalt!

Clare

• Iv December 6, 2013 at 12:16 pm

You guys are so cute!
    That color looks great on you — it reminds me of the Unicorn photo-dress.
    The dress also looks great with both pumps, gold and studded.

• Dressed with soul December 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I agree to each word, you are a really Christmas dream <3

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Alma Affaires December 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I love the vivid blue color of this dress. Is the dress fully lined?

• Ale Bellaire December 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

You have turned your dear boyfriend into a model 🙂

• Plum Pretty Sugar December 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Stunning! Love the little changes you made for this pretty dress!

xo

• Anonymous December 6, 2013 at 2:55 pm

i love your site and make up and the way your dress. Very sophisticated. Quick question, is your hair naturally straight or how do you do your hair can you do a blog on that too. thanks

• kimmie December 6, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Both of you look like you're straight out of a high end magazine ad. Love these photos and the dress looks AMAZE on you, Jean!

• Ann December 6, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Sooo gorgeous!!! You and your bf are such a perfect and good looking couple *___*

• Suzie Q December 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm

You look lovely in the dress! You did a great job with the shot of Nick! Was this a planned photo shoot for Nick too? If it wasn't, then I must say, he's quite a dapper looking fella on a typical day 🙂 Have a great time at the event!

Suzie Q

• Raquelita December 6, 2013 at 11:37 pm

The dress looks great on you- blue is your color, girl! I will try to make it out to the event!

-Rach

• Nathalie Alexandra December 7, 2013 at 12:42 am
  • Maggie Adofo December 7, 2013 at 3:48 am

You look gorgeous 🙂

xo
    Maggie A
    LOVEMAVIN.COM//GIVEAWAY

• em.me.ma December 7, 2013 at 8:49 am

is the event in london? If so I can't believe I can actually go as I'm in Manchester haha.

twitter&instagram;: emilysdiary

• EngineeringFashionista December 7, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Lovely dress. The color is so vibrant. I'd love to go if I lived in Boston. Hubby and I were there a while back for a conference, and we just loved the city. I especially love the library. I couldn't get enough of it; I'd love to go back someday.

• Anonymous December 7, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Love the look! Could you please tell us what is that gorgeous nail polish you have on? Thanks!

• Elizabeth December 8, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hi Jean, I was wondering when your tailor brings in a dress from the top, does he also adjust the neckline?

• rodelma lopez December 8, 2013 at 5:59 pm

what a stunning look…an inspiration

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Hi Elizabeth, yes he does – it naturally moves up higher so it's important to make sure the new position of the neckline isn't uncomfortable for you or awkward looking. For this reason, this tailoring process doesn't always work for dresses or tops.

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm

You are so sweet- thank you! I'm wearing Orly "Luxe" which is a nice light shimmery gold, with some glitter (the clear polish with glitter flakes) layered on top. I found it at TJ Maxx but also see a mini size at Ulta for just $3.99 : )

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Yes it is : )

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Haha, I won't push my luck after the next post…there's only so much a guy can take of exposure on a womens fashion blog : )

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Thank you so much! My hair is naturally straight and frizzy. I like my friend Ping's tutorial for loose waves – I try following it but my results aren't as nice as hers! http://allaboutfashionstuff.blogspot.com/2013/05/easy-hair-tutorial-soft-waves.html

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:40 pm

(blushes) thank you Kimmie! Hope you and the little ones are well : )

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Haha, not planned but I was photographing the men's bag for Ted Baker's blog and it looked a bit lifeless without an "owner." His workplace is super casual (shorts & tee casual) so I encourage him to try different styles on the weekends : )

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:44 pm

That is one of my favorite buildings here as well : ) Hope you guys get to come back and explore some more!

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Thank you! It's Orly "Luxe" – I found it at TJ Maxx but Ulta has a mini size for under $ : )

• Jean December 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Hope to meet you there!

• heyxgrace December 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm

You and your boyfriend are so picture perfect! You guys could be models! I remember you left me a comment (years ago lol) about how you had your eyes on him from the very beginning! Love you two so much 🙂

heyxgrace.blogspot.com

• Hanh December 9, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I JUST tried on a dress that had a similar style to this from Ann Taylor and I felt that it made my legs look shorter, I didn't know if it was the flare, the hem line where the flare starts or if its just too long (hits a little below my knees) but you rock the style! I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I hope to learn a thing or two from you one of these days!

• Petite-ish December 10, 2013 at 12:15 am

So pretty you look, Jean, and what a great photo of Nick to boot.

• Cassandra Westfall December 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Lovely look! I'm quite partial to cobalt and velvet, and I love the gold accents!

Cassie

• Bonnie Lam December 11, 2013 at 11:55 pm

hi Jean! great chatting with you tonight at Ted Baker! can u send me an email so I can share the photo we took together?