• Plaid circle skirt and pine pumps

christmas skirt1

Thrifted silk blouse (similar at 50% off) & wool skirt, Manolo Blahnik BB pumps, green suede was 30% off
    (PS – free overnight shipping on most Nordstrom items ordered by 3PM EST 12/23, awesome for last-minute gifts)

I love browsing thrift stores for quality pieces from the past. I came across this skirt many months ago and had to wait patiently for Christmas season. It’s one of my most special finds – made by a Boston label circa 1950’s, beautiful craftsmanship and quality wool, plus fit perfectly without any alterations. And did I mention it was $2? You can sign up for emails from Savers / Value Village to know about 50% off clothing days, which may help offset the costs of dry cleaning and potential tailoring. It was also during one of these sales when I found this beloved Lauren by Ralph Lauren silk blouse for a steal (read about alterations here).
    christmas skirt
    I’ve shown many holiday outfits suitable for cocktail attire, but this one is perfect for a more cozy gathering (photos were snapped while at our friends’ lovely home) or possibly the office. To keep the ensemble from being too old-fashioned, I added a pair of heels with a more modern silhouette. I used to own a vintage pair in this color, but to my dismay, the heels broke off and crumbled beyond repair – perhaps due to age?
    christmas skirt2In the realm of classic pumps, Manolo Blahnik hit the nail on the head with his BB design. They have a narrow fit with clean, sleek lines and show just a bit of toe cleavage. I’ve been eying the style for ages and finally ordered during Nordstrom’s first designer pump markdown – last year’s experience taught me sale BB’s go fast. The sales associate I spoke to was helpful in searching store inventory for sizes not available online.
    manolo bb pumps
    A note on sizing – my only other pair of pumps by this brand are a 34.5 and not snug (I typically wear a 5 to 5.5), so I went with the same size for these. They run noticeably smaller than the Lisane bows, so a 35 would’ve probably been ideal for me. I would recommend going with your usual size to at most half a size down. As with the bow pumps, I noticed these are marked hand made in Italy with leather upper, soles and lining. Here’s a few other MB styles at Nordstrom that I love:

christmas skirt happy holidays

Wishing each of you happy holidays with your loved ones! Thank you, as always, for stopping by!

37 thoughts on “Plaid circle skirt and pine pumps

• Sara Girão December 22, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hi Jean. I just love your blog.
      I have a question.
      I have a look a like skirt in grey but everytime I try to wear it, it makes me feel like a school teacher. How would you style it for a nice outfit? Thanks

• Anonymous December 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Always so classy, Jean! I love your outfit from head to toe, and that last photo is perfection 🙂

• Michelle December 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I love the tinsel on your friend's tree! Reminds me of how we used to decorate ours as kids. But that would never happen these days…our cats would go nuts!

That skirt also brings back memories…reminds me of an unfinished project that my mom had. Really pretty pairings…especially those gorgeous shoes!

• DNA (designers+artists) December 22, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Score! What a chic thrift find.

• Olyvia December 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm

The longer-length skirt is refreshing! It absolutely makes the perfect holiday outfit! Have a great Christmas! and may you continue to inspire many many more great outfits in the new year 🙂

• Suzie Q December 22, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I'm in love with your entire outfit from head to toe! Such an amazing find with the skirt and it's perfect for the holiday season. I absolutely adore the look of the BB's side profile, they're on my list 🙂 Are they comfortable? I find that my feet hurt after standing/walking for a while in shoes with thin heel width in particular.

Suzie Q

• Maggie Adofo December 22, 2013 at 9:40 pm

The last photo looks like the perfect christmas card 🙂 The skirt looks amazing on you!

xo
      Maggie A
      LOVEMAVIN.COM // HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY

• Anonymous December 22, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Love the outfit. I find my silk shirt pulls along the chest line and leave the embarrassing gap. Should I get a larger size shirt? Will look for the skirt.

• Life On Planet Mum December 22, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Wow, you always find great stuff at the thrift store! I saw a plaid wool skirt today but it was a pencil skirt and very dowdy, it had a pleat in the front so I let it go. I love it that you are adding more thrift items to your posts, I am all about recycling, saving more clothes from landfill. Merry Christmas to you!

• Le monde des petites December 22, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Love so much your outfit and pics!!!! <3
      The Christmas tree is beautiful!!!

Le monde des petites

• Hi Tea Style December 23, 2013 at 1:29 am

Such a lovely outfit! Absolutely love that skirt! Looks amazing on you!

• Carla Krae December 23, 2013 at 4:12 am

It's button placement that's most important. If there's a button above and below your breasts and not in the middle, you'll get that cleavage gap.

• Patrícia M. December 23, 2013 at 4:19 am

How absolutely elegant and in the mood for Christmas!

• Dressed with soul December 23, 2013 at 6:11 am

For me it´s the same, I own a similar skirt and I feel exactly like a school teacher and not as elegant like you look! I would be also really thankful for style tips. Thanks a lot in advance.

Merry Christmas!

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• the|avantguardian December 23, 2013 at 6:19 am

Love reds for Christmas and this is just the perfect look! You look stunning as always!

• Tini December 23, 2013 at 6:35 am

Wow what a great and festive christmas tree!
      Love your outfit!!

• Carmen December 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Hello Jean,
      I found your blog when browsing Bloglovin earlier today and I really love it! You appear to be a real sweetheart and I both like your style and the pictures over here. I love shootings next to the Christmas tree so I was really amazed by this post.
      I´m really looking forward to reading more posts over here and I wish you and your family a very merry Chritsmas 🙂
      xx

• Anonymous December 23, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Jean, I love your blog. I have a question – I wear a 5.5-6, and I cannot walk in 4 inch heels. How do you do it? Did you gradually work up to that heel height? I've even looked at youtube for tutorials (lol) but I still can't get the hang of it. I sort of thought it would be impossible for women with small feet, until I saw your post here. Any tips? thanks!

• Gabrielle Crystal ℛoseℬonniee December 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    • The Internet and The Unicorn December 23, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Great pairing with that skirt and great find!!

I love good economical vintage finds. It's like finding a secret gem.

• Mei Fleming December 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm

What a classy holiday look which can go anywhere!

NEW OUTFIT:: DOTS & STRIPES

xoxo

• B Trendy December 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm

What a beautiful post!!!!! I really love all the pictures!!!! Beautiful everywhere!!!! Congratulations Extra petite!!!! and Merry Christmas from Spain for you and all your readers!!!!

• Vanessa December 25, 2013 at 2:18 am

I love your outfit! It has a great Christmasy feel. You look so elegant! It gives me hope that I too as a 4'10 petite can look elegant too without looking young haha.

vessipetite.blogspot.com

• The Shopper December 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I've been a long time reader and I love your style! I was inspired to finally build an adult wardrobe for myself that fits well and is versatile after seeing how possible it is. Keep up the amazing and inspiring work! I'm hoping to chronicle my progress to building a wardrobe of some strong well made basics that will last for years at http://www.shoppingthelist.blogspot.com

• Jean December 27, 2013 at 3:23 am

Hi Sara! I think it's easier to look like a schoolteacher with a long length skirt and button up blouse (although that's what I have done here), so I'd suggest pairing it with something more fitted and modern up top. If your grey skirt is solid, maybe try a fitted knit top in a more fun print or pattern, making sure to tuck it in to emphasize your waistline. The length is also important – if you feel at or below the knee overwhelms you and gives it the too mature look, maybe try hemming to just above the knee. Good luck experimenting!

• Jean December 27, 2013 at 3:36 am

Aw, thank you for your kind comment! Hope you had a wonderful holiday (if you celebrate!)

• Jean December 27, 2013 at 3:38 am

Hi Suzie, I dont think most heels that high are particularly "comfortable" but in the realm of pointy, 4 inch high pumps they are not bad. A thicker, chunkier heel would always add more balance and sturdiness, though.

• Jean December 27, 2013 at 3:39 am

Carla is right in that it's mostly button placement – this shirt gaps like crazy on me but it's nothing a little double-sided fashion tape can't fix! I use it every time for this blouse.

• Jean December 27, 2013 at 3:40 am

Thank you for stopping by and saying hello, Carmen! I checked out your lovely blog and hope you had a merry CHristmas as well.

• Jean December 27, 2013 at 3:45 am

Hi there – I did gradually work up to this heel height starting well over ten years ago…but I have to say that if it's not comfortable for you, then there's absolutely no need to be wearing sky high heels! I don't particularly think it's good for smaller feet to be propped up at such an angle for prolonged periods of time, so I switch up my heels every day by commuting in flats. A modest or chunky heeled pump can be very flattering and more practical for running around in comfortably. Good luck!

• Jean December 27, 2013 at 3:47 am

Thank you for your kind words! I applaud your approach to shopping wishlist items and will definitely be popping in to read about your progress. Fran's blog is one of my favorites as well and I especially loved all the budget posts!

• Nhi Nguyen Phuong December 29, 2013 at 3:19 am

Hi Jean, I've been a longtime reader and I lover your style. I this post, I love your necklace verymuch, can you show me where I can buy the necklcae like yours? Tks you!

• Jean December 29, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Hi Nhi – thank you so much! Mine is a gift from a friend but you can search eBay for akoya rope pearls (I think mine are 10mm wide) for good prices, or you can find faux pearls in a similar style like here: http://www.amazon.com/Carolee-Pearl-Basics-Simulated-Necklace/dp/B003ZUZ24G

• Whitney Rife December 30, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Obsessed with this skirt!
      Beautiful blog!!!!! Would die for all your clothes!
      Happy New Year!

Whitney
      The Retail Therapist

• Nikola January 5, 2014 at 7:16 pm

The school teacher look is ok and I think men are attracted to the look. Be comfortable and enjoy the look. I love wearing my winter white legacy silk blouse from ann taylor with my grey skirt. I get so many compliments.

• Anonymous January 15, 2014 at 4:34 pm

How do you keep your shirts tucked in so neatly with no bulging?

• Rachel March 10, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Hey Jean — Re: your Manolos, are those the 105mm or the 115mm? They look stunning on you and I'm trying to decide which heel to go with. Thank you!