• Borrowed from the boys: Holiday tartan and bronze pumps

tartan and bronze pumps3

J.Crew sweater (similar), shirt borrowed from Nick (similar in petites), coat borrowed from my cousin, Banana Republic pants in navy (10 colors, several on sale), Kate Spade Licorice pumps, Coach bag

The formula for this outfit was taken straight from the guys at my office – patterned button-up, pullover sweater, plus grey or navy slacks. It’s an easy pairing for business casual environments (swap pants with jeans for just casual) and works for both genders alike.

tartan and bronze pumps1

I don’t own many button-ups, but Nick has quite the collection of flannel which I love to dip into for adding “accents” to my outfits. This Christmas plaid is his favorite, which he makes clear (just look at his stern expression below!) each time I run off with it. You can fake the fit of over-sized boyfriend shirts by layering them under thick, snug pieces like this sweater.

tartan and bronze pumps male female

tartan and bronze pumps2

Orly “luxe” polish – love a gold manicure for the holidays!

This jacket borrowed from my cousin (see it on her) has re-ignited my search for a camel coat of my own. I love everything about it, but unfortunately she purchased it a while ago in China. It’s a surprising size Medium there, but fits similar to 00P in the US.

The above are some options that I considered but unfortunately they are mostly offered only in regular sizing (or in the case of the beautiful Burberry, is already sold out in most sizes). If you are taller and can wear regular XS and up, the Uniqlo wool-blend coat in 3 colors looks like a classic option for a steal at $99./

tartan and bronze pumps6
    tartan and bronze pumps5

A note on these BR sloan pants – I reviewed them here and the fit off the rack was good but a little baggy all-around. After input from a number of you (thank you all!), I machine washed cold and dried them on high, against the “dry clean only” instructions. The pants shrunk about half a size throughout and the material thankfully didn’t look like it sustained any damage. The fit now feels noticeably better, but still has small issues like the extra fabric between the thighs and below the tush. I love that they are just as comfy and easy to care for as denim, but appropriate for most offices.

47 thoughts on “Borrowed from the boys: Holiday tartan and bronze pumps

• styleontarget December 8, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I wore a similar sweater this weekend, and it is such a classic color and look. I might have to borrow something from my fiance's closet to nail the same sort of look with! Thanks!

• Katie S December 8, 2013 at 6:21 pm

My stylist recently introduced me to the Sloan pant (I'm a little late to the game). They fit well, are incredibly comfortable, suitable for everyday office wear, and warm! This is a great look. I'm searching for a camel coat myself – would love to hear if you end up finding something.

• Anonymous December 8, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Just saw that there's a camel hair coat on Talbots website. It starts in a size 2P so it may be too big but worth a look.

• zozo December 8, 2013 at 7:13 pm

You really do look beautiful in forest green! Love flannels/plaids. Finding it hard to wear anything else this winter haha. Also, I'm a big fan orly luxe–such a pretty accent color and not overly warm or cool.
      zozo | atelier zozo

• heyxgrace December 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Oh my gosh this was an adorable outfit! The color combination is so perfect. Its such a stylish take on the "ugly Christmas sweaters" trend, haha.

And the camel coat is amazing. I actually thought it was Burberry until I read it was from China. it has so many details on it, I wonder what your cousin paid for it? The belted cuffs, the gun flap, the epaulettes! Its an amazing jacket! Just take it from her, haha 🙂

heyxgrace.blogspot.com

• heyxgrace December 8, 2013 at 7:31 pm

lol the word verification was a picture of a light switch…… what was I supposed to put in the box!? lol

• MissKristani December 8, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I love the outfit combination! This is totally awesome pairing for "his & hers" look!

misskristani.blogspot.com

• Jackie December 8, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Absolutely obsessed with that shade of green right now, so naturally, I'm loving your look. Perfect for the holidays, that's for sure!

xoxo Jackie

Something About That

• Anonymous December 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Have you tried the wool coats at Zara? I always seem to find my winter gear there.

• Brittany December 8, 2013 at 11:12 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Brittany December 8, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I would have never known! Your outfit looks super feminine. Love the influence/inspiration you got from it! 🙂

xoxo,
      Brittany

• Niters December 8, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I just love camel colored coats right now! Just picked up a Burberry one from Nordy's and LOVE it! You look amazing as always!!

xx, Anita
      The Daily Melon

• Le monde des petites December 8, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Love it! It is such a great idea to wear a shirt from the men's!!! It remains feminine with the tight jumper, jean's and pums!!!
      Love this idea!!!!

xoxo

Jul du monde des petites

• Anonymous December 8, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I absolutely love love love this outfit. While I love being pregnant, this makes me anxious to get back to regular non maternity clothes again so I could wear something like this.

Can't wait to see what you come up with if and when that time comes for you. =)

• Carla Krae December 9, 2013 at 2:59 am

Old Navy has a lot of flannel/plaid shirts for men and women on sale right now, including in petite sizes. I used to steal a couple flannels from my old boyfriend. He was narrow and skinny, so it worked.

• Lu December 9, 2013 at 3:24 am

I love this look! Thank you for the inspiration! Bye, Lu

• Sara Girão December 9, 2013 at 6:07 am

Very interesting with the boyfriend shirt, now I will help more my boyfriend in the choosing of shirts and I will have in my mind that they should look good on me too. 😀 Thank you

• AlpineWhite December 9, 2013 at 10:12 am

I really like the combination! This is very nice indeed.

• Dressed with soul December 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I agree to zozo, it find it also hard to wear anything other than plaids this winter 🙂 You look really beautiful!

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Francesca Giagnorio December 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

You are such an inspiration, I'm extrapetite too and I really love your style <3
      kisses

• Anonymous December 9, 2013 at 2:14 pm

So cute, but do your feet get cold? Just read this post today: http://youlookfab.com/2013/12/09/seasonally-confused-winter-outfits/

• Lynn December 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Ahh, return of the honeycomb sweater! I first saw you wear this last year, and I have been on the lookout for something similar (ie, the EXACT SAME) ever since. Love the color, love that it looks warm without being too bulky. I have a Theory sweater in a similar hue, but it is a turtle neck, and not honeycomb. If you come across anything like what you are wearing, please post!

• jcy December 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Janice December 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Those Kate Spade licorice pumps are 40% off today (December 9) on Piperlime! 🙂

• Mei Fleming December 9, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Cute borrowed look which is still very feminine!

NEW POST:: FESTIVE FEATHERS

xo

• The Internet and The Unicorn December 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Just wondering, if this is borrowed from the men, how do you make it look un-frumpy on you (it looks great on you btw). Do you pin it? I've tried something similar, and it makes the sweater I put over it more "boxy" looking instead of feminine and fitted.

• Lauren Scorzafava December 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm

This is STUNNING! I love every bit of it!

xx
      Lauren Elizabeth
      Petite in Pearls

• Angel December 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

yes! I love boyish looks. flannel, thick sweaters, knit hats, worn-in jeans… guys have it down pat!

• Anonymous December 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

hi jean! I saw on your twitter that the teal manolos were 30% off. may i ask where you bought them? thank you!

• Tara Simone December 9, 2013 at 9:37 pm

This is such a great look! Makes me want to raid my boyfriend's closet 🙂

• Liz Yoon December 10, 2013 at 1:15 am

Love your outfit!!
      Liz @ http://www.rusticpeach.com

• Anonymous December 10, 2013 at 1:30 am

FWIW I tried the $99 uniqlo coat stand collar coat in xs, which was not half bad, particularly for the price. The sizing was far more petite friendly than many brands, but it was ultimately too long for me (i'm 4'11'') and the stand collar too tall. Wool blend was warm but felt a bit on the polyestery side.

• Jean December 10, 2013 at 9:53 am

Sure! I got them at Nordstrom and you can call a SA anywhere to do an inventory search. I'm a little confused about the style # for the green suede, because online it was #381930 (now sold out) but my receipt shows #429560179436. What size are you looking for? I'm having a tough time deciding whether to keep mine b/c i sized down 1 whole size like my bow pumps, and probably should've just gone down half.

• Jean December 10, 2013 at 9:54 am

Good to know! I wish they would start offering petite sizing for their basics.

• Jean December 10, 2013 at 9:55 am

Hi Lynn! I will be sure will keep an eye out. My regret is not picking up more of these…I didn't want to go overboard at the time, but haven't found sweaters as warm and well-fitting since : /

• Jean December 10, 2013 at 9:59 am

Haha, I commute in my Aquitalia boots and bring heels in my purse for work. The open-toe sandals with winter ensembles always do confuse me, though!

• Jean December 10, 2013 at 9:59 am

Ah, a big congratulations to you! What a special stage in your life – one that I really look forward to, fashion challenges and all : )

• Jean December 10, 2013 at 11:42 am

PS – a honeycomb sweater from ON, but not sure about quality or fit http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=41719&vid;=3&pid;=920383082

• Petitetomatoes December 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I love this look. I like the photo comparison with you and Nick.

• AlexisB December 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Target has a flannel shirt available in their petite section (three colors). I do not own the flannel shirt, but I find their X-small petite shirts to be very narrow in the shoulders and well fitting in the chest. For reference, I'm 32" chest, C cup.