Saks Boston Renovated Designer Shops

saks mcqueen

opulent custom moulding on the Alexander McQueen shop walls

Last week, I stopped by the unveiling of Saks Fifth Avenue Boston’s renovated 2nd floor shops. The premiere designer shops were built with each brand’s vision in mind, and felt like a street of beautiful and distinct boutiques. I popped into each one for inspiration, and of course couldn’t resist trying on some outerwear (favorite way to brighten up cold days!) while browsing the updated store.
saks mcqueen 1

Above: McQueen pearly eye candy

Below: Trying Burberry Brit Daylesmoore coat in sz 2. Loved the heavy material and structured high collar; sleeves would need slimming & shortening. More coat finds below.

saks burberry brit
saks stella
The Saks team was excited to share certain details within each boutique. The photo above shows the Stella McCartney shop, for which Stella herself designed the pink inlaid wooden floor and had it imported from Italy. Below, the lavish green onyx wall selected by the Céline team also traveled from Italy.

saks celine Below left: New at Saks Boston – “The Row” (by the Olsen twins) Right: Stunning, slightly gothic chandelier at D&G;

saks d and g

saks manolo
While making my way around the floor, I spotted this Burberry London Billington jacket which looked unusually small on the hanger. I put on a sz 2 and could barely button it up down the front (online reviews confirm this runs 1 to 2 sizes small). Burberry sizing can vary quite a bit based on the material and cut, as you can see compared to the wool/cashmere camel coat from above.
saks burberry coat
This jacket fit me like a glove, with the only alterations needed being sleeve hemming if your arms are shorter (I have an inch or two folded underneath in the photos), and possibly raising the belt loops if your natural waist sits higher. Both type of alterations are lower-risk (I’ve had them done before on Burberry and other coats), so I’d recommend this jacket for any ladies shopping around at this price point. The side view was very flattering, and there was unique pleated detailing on the backside. The cotton-based material is on the lighter side, suitable for 40-ish degree and up weather.
saks burberry coat side

Outfit details: 7 For All Mankind Gwenevere jeans (wearing sz 24 shortened) black color now 40% off, Manolo Blahnik bow pumps, Ann Taylor leopard sweater, Zara boys blazer (altered)

Thank you to Saks for sponsoring this post!

40 thoughts on “Saks Boston Renovated Designer Shops

• Anonymous September 29, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Love that black coat on you! Is there a link to it somewhere?

• Style Squared September 30, 2013 at 12:23 am
  • Anonymous September 30, 2013 at 12:55 am

Beautiful pictures! You look amazing, as always. The link to the Burberry coat doesn't work. Is it a regular size 2 that runs small or is it a size 2P? Thanks!

• MizzJ September 30, 2013 at 1:27 am

Omg so much eye candy!

• stacy September 30, 2013 at 1:28 am

If you purchase from a Burberry standalone store, they will do the alterations for you free of charge. Just bought a trench there the other day and they had an inch and a half removed from the sleeve and moved the loops on the sleeve up. The only downside is that if you go with the gabardine trench, you will see some holes in the fabric from where the old loops were removed.

• Shira September 30, 2013 at 1:29 am

That first jacket is incredible. Also dyinggggg over those bow shoes!!!!

• Le monde des petites September 30, 2013 at 1:46 am

Love the pumps!!! The glod ones and the MB Taylor ones!!!
    Very nice pics! Thanks for sharing!

Le monde des petites

• Purple Ivy September 30, 2013 at 5:30 am

That camel coat is perfection.

• Alyssa McGladdery September 30, 2013 at 6:12 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Tia September 30, 2013 at 9:02 am

Now that I live in Boston, I'm SO excited to go check out the renovations. If only my college budget could afford a burberry coat! The Billington Jacket looks gorgeous on you!
    xo Tia

• Yak Man September 30, 2013 at 9:09 am

the Burberry Brit sz 2 looks so pretty on you!

• Suzie Q September 30, 2013 at 10:51 am

Great review on the renovated Saks! Amazing all the details that each shop puts in. I especially love the camel coat, but I like how the black coat fits you. I adore how you wore the color scheme with the maroon pumps with the olive pants!

Suzie Q

• misscatlo September 30, 2013 at 11:24 am

Love these Burberry Coats on you! I am not a petit asian girl, so what would you recommend if I were to splurge on 1 trenchcoat from Burberry.. what should i purchase? I'm about 5'6 avg body… The coats are so beautiful but also very pricey.. definitely have my eye out for an investment piece.. 🙂 Love your blog!

• Jessy September 30, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I love the coat on you! It's a great option for fall for those who can afford it.
    P.S. That Saks is really pretty!

• katestyledpretty.com September 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love the classic look of Burberry coats! Great to know their sizing for petites!
    xoxo-KSP

• Orange You Classy September 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm

this saks looks gorgeous!! love all the pieces you picked out

• Heather He September 30, 2013 at 6:26 pm

LOVE your shoes! and the black jacket is so nice on you!!

• Dion Lim September 30, 2013 at 8:36 pm

What's the name of the cognac Burberry coat? LOVE it, and the color and want my SA here in Charlotte to find it for me!! Did you get to keep anything fun? I did a Neiman Marcus fashion show a couple weeks ago and was DYING to keep it all!! Cheers, 🙂

• AlexisB September 30, 2013 at 10:19 pm

So much awesomeness! Love the black coat. The color of the camel coat is the stuff of dreams but there is too much material in the coat for a petite. Love the stained glass dress on the rack in the first photo. I know this is a fashion blog but I am going BANANAS for that pink wood floor. I want!

Tanks for sharing.

• Julie October 1, 2013 at 2:23 am

Oh my goodness! The Burberry Billington jacket is a dream on you! I am so obsessed with it!

xx, julie
    //obsessed//

• ....... October 1, 2013 at 11:53 am

love the coats they fit so well! xx. gigi. http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

• pretty little things October 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm

i love that first jacket! xo

• petitephd October 1, 2013 at 8:41 pm

i love coats with a little flare and was totally about to order the billington online…until i saw those two ass-buttons on the back. are they that apparent in real life as they are in the saks' video? now the wool belted pea is looking like a better option, but i love the length and petite-friendliness of the billington more. not sure if you are coat-shopping for yourself, but if you are, would love it if you do more reviews on similar coats like the ones you've highlighted here!

thanks <3

• Damp October 2, 2013 at 6:15 am

Awesome outfits, I love the black coat.

• Petitetomatoes October 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I love the Burberry jacket.

• Jean October 3, 2013 at 12:35 am

Hi there – I included a link above, also if you search "Burberry Billington" it's available for sale at a few other stores : ) If Bloomingdales carries it in-store, they are currently having 20% off for friends & family FYI.

• Jean October 3, 2013 at 12:36 am

Hi there – do you mean the black or the camel coat? Both of them are in a size 2 regular. I think Nordies was the only store that carried Burberry petites in the US, and they did away with that a year ago : /

• Jean October 3, 2013 at 12:37 am

Thanks for raising that point, Stacy – I always love getting the complimentary alterations at the store, but have heard from some other ladies that the trench material does show holes after loops are moved. What a bummer!

• Jean October 3, 2013 at 12:38 am

Hi there – I highly, highly recommend going into a store and trying on all the styles. They each fit differently and the material types also can vary greatly. It takes some trial and error to find the best fit for your body (make sure the shoulders are perfect and the waist sits at the right place, etc).

• Jean October 3, 2013 at 12:39 am

Hmm, I didn't notice the ass buttons but I was also running through the store so didn't get a chance to do a 360, unfortunately! Have you tried the Rushmore? It's one of their top sellers and I tried it on last year and loved it. It's currently eligible for the 20% off at Bloomingdales!

• Maggie Adofo October 8, 2013 at 5:01 am

LOVE the shoes.

xo
    Maggie A
    Love Mavin

• Anonymous October 9, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Jean, have you had a chance to try on Burberry's new size 00?
    I don't think it's available for everything, but I noticed that http://us.burberry.com/mid-length-cotton-gabardine-trench-coat-p38860981 this one now comes in size 00.

• Jean October 10, 2013 at 2:16 am

! This is news to me. I have only tried on one or two styles in a 0 (per the SA, they started making 0 in the 'roomier fit' styles) so am very excited to try on this new size. Thank you for sharing!

• Anonymous October 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Hi Jean! I'm looking to get my work skirts tailored and was hoping to get your recommendations.. Do you go to the tailors in the city? I have the exact body frame/size as you and my alterations would be pretty much be the within the same scope to your alteration needs. Do you mind sharing where you go or recommend me any places in particular? Thanks!!

• Artemis Mahvi October 17, 2013 at 6:25 am

Hi! I am ready to buy my first burberry coat and I am wondering if you would suggest this petite friendly billington coat or a classic trench? I am trying to take advantage of the Saks friends and family 🙂

Thanks!

• Sasshionista October 18, 2013 at 1:15 pm

It is SO great to see another Boston blogger who likes to DIT. I'm mega tall and you're extra petite! Perfect. Love, love love your blog!

SeeSamShop.com

• brietta November 3, 2013 at 11:50 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• brietta November 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Hi Jean,

Ever since I read this post, I've been obsessing over the Buberry Billington. I decided to buy it and am so glad I did! I decided to share more info and photos of it on it on my blog (http://littlebrietta.blogspot.com/) and want to let you know I've mentioned you on the post as well as in the introduction for being such an influence. I really admire how far you've come and would love to know if you have any advice for me. Thanks for your contribution to the petite community! 🙂

• Dana Lande November 5, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Hi Jean! Please clarify – did you purchase the size 2 or did you have to size up to close the front?! Thanks so much! Dana

• Jean November 10, 2014 at 1:38 am

Hi Dana! I did not purchase any of the coats in this post, I just took photos of trying them on to show anyone interested how they would fit.