Simple stripes + leopard clutch (& LOFT petites review)

LOFT striped top

H&M; shorts, LOFT striped top, Ann Taylor pumps (similar, on sale in sz 5+), DIY leopard clutch (tutorial)

Just sharing a basic outfit from the hot & humid weekend, and some pics from a recent order. I gravitated towards this navy & white top as a replacement for an old Forever 21 blouse, which became warped and shrunken after one wash to something suitable for a teddy bear. This top is cut generously and could probably benefit from an inch of slimming on each side. However, the smooth polyester drapes & tucks like silk plus is easily washable, which is why my LOFT blouses get lots of wear. I also appreciated that the tiny stripes actually line up on both sides.

LOFT striped top 3
I like that this is a lightweight staple for work or casual outfits in the hot summer, plus works both un-tucked or tucked-in. I prefer it with pants/shorts to see the increasing stripe width detail. I got mine in-store for $18 after an extra 60% off. Measurements of XXSP are: 13.5″ across shoulder, 16″ armpit to armpit, 18.5″ across bottom, and 22″ length. Note: the narrower neck opening measures 9.75″ across and may be tight for some.

loft striped top 1
Elastic Waist Striped Pencil Skirt (XS P, left photo has 2″ clipped back)

I also inadvertently ordered a semi-coordinating skirt. Apparently, LOFT made a few striped pieces to be worn together as a dress or separately – a design after my own heart. I somehow selected the wrong size, so the skirt pictured does not fit. I did try on a similar elastic skirt in the right size, which fit better like this.

The skirt is a knit tee-shirt material with an elastic waist all-around. Even though this was described online, the picture made it look dressier. Maybe the key is to “fill out” the elastic waistband and gathered area, so it looks more pencil and less casual/scrunchy. You can conceal some of the elastic with a wider belt, and I will admit it’s comfy on expanding waistlines. Verdict: Return. Would recommend to someone looking for a more casual striped skirt and can fill it out better (perhaps size down).

loft striped top

Ah…these pants. I really wanted to love them for a few reasons. They came in a mustard color that I’ve been searching for (to replace these hopelessly wrinkly ones), they have work pant features like a sturdier stretch twill material, vertical front pockets, slit back pockets, and functional belt loops – plus the price was great. Unfortunately, the crop length is not too flattering on me. I was hoping there’d be sufficient hem allowance to let these out to ankle-length, but no such luck. The cut of the leg and ankle opening was also wider than what I’d prefer for a skinny pant. This could be a simple alteration for some tailors, but my dress pants have rarely come back post-slimming alterations fitting right.

loft striped top 2

The waist was also roomy, but better than some other pants I’ve tried on. The measurements of a 00P are: 13.75″ across the waist, 16.75″ across the hips, 7.5″ rise, 21″ inseam, and 6.25″ wide leg opening. For reference, my preferred Crewcuts ankle pants in sz 12 (see this season’s solid colors or a cute seahorse print) have a 23.75″ inseam and 5.5″ leg openingI just wish those would come in a dressier material for work. Verdict: Return. Possibly suitable for someone with a shorter inseam (or someone who can pull off crops), who doesn’t mind a less-fitted leg.
LOFT striped top 1

Michael Kors 38mm watch, links removed (similar), Hermes belt (gift from Nick, re-sized for free by the store)

LOFT striped top 4

Did you purchase anything from the recent rounds of AT/LOFT mega-sales? If so, please share any keepers or recommendations!

41 thoughts on “Simple stripes + leopard clutch (& LOFT petites review)

• styleandcreations July 3, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I love how versatile the top is and I especially love how you have paired it with mustard colored pants and leopard print shoes.

• Le monde des petites July 3, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Lov your outfit, especially your stripes top!!!

Jul, from le monde des petites

• looksbymc July 3, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Love the looks! Also, very helpful post =)
    -looksbymc

• Julie July 3, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Love this as a slouchy tee! Such a cute stripey find!

xoxo, Julie @ OBSESSED

• ZipStyle Seattle July 3, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Love the simplicity – Less is more.

• Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Any tips on where to get a pre-owned Hermes belt like yours (online or in Boston)?

• Diana S.T. July 3, 2013 at 7:15 pm

you look amazing!
    kiss from Guatemala

• Abby July 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Love that top!

• Kelsie Breashears July 3, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Wow, I cant believe how roomy those crops are on you! They fit me much more snug all over. I wonder if Ive gained a few l-b's and its time to remeasure?? lol!

-Kelsie

• Lana L. July 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I also tried on the Marisa Cropped Pants, and while they were a bit more snug on me than you, I also didn't look how big the leg opening was. I recommend trying on the Marisa Bi Strech Ankle Pants. Those fit much better, and give a more streamlined look. However, the pants are not lined on the inside which can cause some vpl.

• Vi and Ollie July 4, 2013 at 12:11 am

I purchased the AT Banded Tie-Front dress in Blue/White, it was a winner! From $128 down to $50. The material is thicker for a summer dress but looks lovely with a recent tan. I received so many compliments during brunch but my only complaint is that the dress needs to be narrowed at the bottom.

• Michelle July 4, 2013 at 12:59 am

This is a really cute look on you! Especially love it in that last pic with the orange and animal print. Was talking about your clutch with Ping when she was in town…wanted to make something like that for one of my first sewing projects.

• EVA. July 4, 2013 at 1:05 am

such a cute outfit, you look lovely <3

xx

• Professionally Petite July 4, 2013 at 1:53 am

I got a ton of things at the AT sale – I couldn't believe how great the prices were. A ton of great work tops for about $15-20 each, dresses for around $25-30, and I got a pair of the patent AT perfect pumps for $45 bucks!

• Charlotte July 4, 2013 at 4:51 am

How cute! I love the top a lot, I think it suits your body type really well! I kinda love the skirt too, maybe a little bit too long.
    Anyways the outfit is so lovely, the shorts color is really nice, and I love the leopard touch !

fashionfixeshearts.blogspot.com

• Amy July 4, 2013 at 8:02 am

Love the top!! I also appreciate you linking to size 5 shoes. They seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

• Chelsey Tanisha July 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

Big fan of the clutch! The pants are so chic and perfect for work!

• Spiffie July 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

I always have trouble with the Loft pants as well. I am only 5'1", but the petite sizes are usually too short on me(!!??) by just a small amount, but it just doesn't look right.

• Anonymous July 4, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I tried on this striped top. I find it hard to get my head through the top opening. Will be returning.

• Alonai Co July 5, 2013 at 3:52 am

Amazing!! I love it!

• her + capture July 5, 2013 at 4:20 am

loving the shorts!

• poppypixie July 5, 2013 at 6:25 am

Love the shorts and top combo!

• Anonymous July 6, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I purchased the same top in a size SP. I had to go up a size due to what I think is a narrow shoulder in the top. I also picked up a black sleeveless peplum top, a purple shift dress, and a black dress with lace top. I love the leopard hand bag.

• Logan Payne July 7, 2013 at 12:25 am

I had the same problem with those mustard colored LOFT pants! I really wanted them to look good, but those wide legs were just not flattering for another petite person like myself.

• Diana Horsfall July 8, 2013 at 5:37 am

love your nude shoes http://differentcands.blogspot.kr/

• Joules July 8, 2013 at 10:05 am

I'm a big fan of the simplicity of this outfit. If you're going to do leopard, you have to keep the rest of it paired down, and you do that perfectly. It looks very chic!

Style by Joules

• Meg July 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Love your blog! I just bought a pair of leopard print heels and I love them! Still not sure how to style them so I could wear them with something casual, something dressy, something for a night out etc. It would be so cool if you did a blog post/video about how to style leopard print shoes 🙂

• Tanya July 8, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Any chance you can do a review of black leather jackets? Looking for a good one!

• Anonymous July 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I purchased the Loft elastic waist black and white skirt you featured on your instagram and I love it! It's super lightweight and I appreciate that it is machine washable. Thank you for always sharing your great deals/finds!

• PetiteAsianGirl July 9, 2013 at 12:11 am

I'm so glad to hear! Just saw it on a chic colleague today too.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 9, 2013 at 12:12 am

Hi Tanya, I haven't come across any (to be honest, haven't been looking in our heatwave either : ) but will definitely keep it in mind. I'm looking for a colored one myself.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 9, 2013 at 12:14 am

Hi Meg – I love, love leopard heels and think they are almost a "neutral." If you go to my blog search bar on the right hand side and type in Calvin Klein leopard, all of my past outfits involving those heels will pop up. Good luck playing around with yours!

• PetiteAsianGirl July 9, 2013 at 12:15 am

Thanks for the reminder – I did think the head opening was smaller than usual, but it slipped my mind. I didn't have a problem but will add a note in case anyone else might!

• PetiteAsianGirl July 9, 2013 at 12:16 am

I have the same problem with Gap petite bottoms too. Since I am around your height at 5 feet, I'm a little confused as to how a 5'3" or 5'4" woman can wear them.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 9, 2013 at 12:20 am

The belt here is new from the store, but I have a pre-owned one that my bf got via a sample sale site (Rue La La or Gilt, something of the like). Those sites claim to authenticate, however you don't know how skilled their authenticators are, and the pricing is definitely higher than what you'd find on eBay. I also have one from LXR & Co, but the Hermes belt pricing on their site is very high for pre-owned – almost the same as new. I see a lot of options on eBay but am unfortunately just not knowledgeable enough about authenticity. That seems like the best route to get the lowest price, but comes with the risk.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 9, 2013 at 12:21 am

Hi Lana, thanks for the suggestion. I will look for the ankle pant version the next time I'm in a store!

• PetiteAsianGirl July 9, 2013 at 12:22 am

If it means you can fit into cute pants better, then who cares about any extra lbs! ; )

• Ashley July 10, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Just a word of warning about the seahorse dress, it's fairly see through… so be mindful of what you wear underneath! It's incredibly comfy though!

• Anonymous July 12, 2013 at 7:24 am

Thanks for the tip! Never heard of LXR & Co, so I'm going to check it out. And you're right, the eBay options, although more attractively priced, are just too risky for me. At this point, I'm better off just waiting a bit longer and getting myself a nice, new authentic one at the store. =)

By the way, I never comment on blogs, but I'm a fan! I recently started working in the financial district here and when I first started, I was asked if I was old enough to drink. (I'm in my late 20s!) Your style tips and focus on proper fit have really transformed how I shop/dress for work and helps me look less like the high school intern, and more like a professional. haha Keep up the good work!!

• JulieD July 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I bought this shirt too! I haven't worn it yet and I love how you paired it with shorts!