Green jacket + sheer florals (& H&M spring blazers review)

green jacket floral blouse H&M; blouse (similar), Lefties blazer (from Spain), altered no brand slacks, Louboutin heels from eBay

Living with limited closet space, I’ve gotten into the habit of rotating seasonal items in and out of under-bed storage. It’s always a small treat to unpack and re-discover old favorites, which this outfit is comprised entirely of. green jacket floral blouse2This blouse from last year is a party of all my favorite spring colors. It’s cut generously with very long sleeves, but still gets plenty of wear layered and under blazers. I was so excited to find this dupe that’s even topped off with a neck-tie:

modcloth floral blouse

If you’re new to this store, you can get $15 off your first order of $50+ by signing up for an account through here (referrers will receive the same credit). There’s free U.S. shipping on orders over $50 and also free returns. I won’t be trying this myself as I have the H&M; one, but reviews indicate that it may run on the smaller side for standard S/M/L sizing, and a “blousy fit” wouldn’t be bad for this style top. Another item I’ve been eying but already have something similar is the Eye for Ikebana floral skirt (longer 25″ length may require hemming) – pricier at $69.99, but reviews say the XS fits a 24″ waist perfectly.

The blazer in this outfit is an old, bargain purchase from Lefties (I was told this is like a Zara outlet) and underwent an alteration overhaul for a mere $5 (story here). I love the resulting slim fit, but the bargain aspect is evident through the material and crinkly sleeves. While at H&M; dropping off my donations for their garment recycling program, I tried on a similar-colored option (also in black, bright pink, and possibly more):
hm spring blazer

The green is an inexpensive way to add a nice pop of color to spring wardrobes, and the ivory is very versatile for multi-season wear. It’s a poly-twill like material, and the ivory is slightly see through (my black & white striped top shows through the sleeves and back). As with most H&M; blazers, the torso and shoulders fit nice and slim but the sleeve quality and fit leave something to be desired. I picked up the ivory one for $29 and change with a 15% coupon from the garment recycling, and plan on shortening and slimming the sleeves per this tutorial (note – there is also a slit at the end of the ivory’s sleeves so it may need to be hemmed to bracelet length). hm spring blazer 1
Green blazer, item #086743, Ivory blazer, item #067391 – both $34.95, trying on sz 2

Old ASOS petites dress, Ferragamo Varina flats (runs narrow, 20% off w/ FANDF)*

*It’s Friends & Family time at Bloomies, which now offers free return shipping on all online purchases (love that more retailers are doing this!). Use FANDF for 20% off your purchase w/ a few exclusions – possibly a chance to pick up sale Spanx, Longchamp (my durable everyday work/travel tote – Mom asked if she could have mine so I picked up another in black : ), or a classic Burberry trench

For anyone interested in the Spanx girl shorts, I got sz S in the nude for wearing under clingier dresses. It works somewhat for minimizing tummy / butt bulges and VPL but is intended to fit much more snugly on the wearer than this pair does on me. As such, the thigh openings are a little loose so the shorts hem line shows through sometimes, but I haven’t found a better option yet.

green jacket floral blouse1 Since this blazer hits at a longer hip length, I mostly reserve it for wearing with slimming skinny pants or floor-length trousers. These pants are a ~5 year old find at a discount store with the tags cut off (I suspect the Limited or Express?), and were taken in along the waist/hips/legs. To this day, I haven’t had luck finding pants that fit like this off the rack (or even have the potential to fit and drape similarly after semi-risky alterations). Any recommendations would be appreciated!

44 thoughts on “Green jacket + sheer florals (& H&M spring blazers review)

• lisacng @ expandng.com April 5, 2013 at 10:03 am

I LOVE seeing you in pants. This pair is so lengthening! You should just start making your own pants ;). Love the light floral and the bright blazer!!!! Happy Spring!

• Blue Dog Belle April 5, 2013 at 10:28 am

LOVE this! Those pants are great on you!

• Kellyinthecity April 5, 2013 at 10:29 am

I absolutely love that blazer! You look so cute. You inspired me every day to get my clothes tailored so they'll actually fit me! Adorable blog ๐Ÿ™‚

xoxo

Kelly

• Professionally Petite April 5, 2013 at 10:47 am

Love this springtime look! And those pants look so great on you.

• Anonymous April 5, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hi Jean,
    I really like your blog and your style. I will be going to Disneyworld in 2 months and I was wondering if you could post some outfit ideas that are comfortable but stylish for the hot/humid Florida weather.
    thanks! keep up the good work ๐Ÿ™‚
    Jen

• Sincerely Sammie April 5, 2013 at 11:23 am

That green blazer is absolutely stunning on you! The color is gorgeous! How do you always manage to look like you're 6 ft. tall?! Have a wonderful weekend!

• Elissa April 5, 2013 at 11:41 am

I'm a huge fan of the pant selection at Club Monaco. They have a lot of slim styles and size down to a 00, and sometimes I'm even a 0. Although they don't do short or long they have a lot of ankle/cropped styles that work for me. I have never had to alter a pair of their pants before. I haven't tried any of their more relaxed fit pants though, only jeans and slim trousers.

• JANELLEINC.COM April 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

LOVE how office chic your outfits are!

JANELLEINC.COM

• Anonymous April 5, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I think you can try Victoria's Secrets. I got a pair of black pants from them like 8 years ago and it drapes very similarly (I am 5'4", about 100 lbs). Granted alterations will be needed but most VS models are skinny so it may not be as much as for some other pants. I believe I only had to get them hemmed.

• aiyana jane April 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm

this kelly green jacket is beautiful and i love the wide leg pants, perfectly tailored!
    xo, aiyanajane

• Jina April 5, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Jean, your posts about curating your wardrobe have really made me think critically about my own. Style is so much more than compulsively buying something new every week. Your beautiful style is what drew me into this blog but what realy keeps me coming back is your thoughtfulness, intelligence and insight. Happy Friday!

• Star White April 5, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Wow! These pants make you look to tall and I love them with the bright blazer! Such a lovely outfit!

Blessings!
    Star
    beautyandbows.com

• Annie April 5, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Love your style! Happy Friday Jean and hope you have a nice weekend!

• Jane L. April 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm

for similar pants….try Mango…

• alison*elle April 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I love Club Monaco's dress pants too. And just to add to this comment, they also offer complimentary hemming!

• andrea April 5, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Love the green blazer!!!

xoxo,
    Andrea

• wendyp April 5, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Love the outfit. It does make you look taller, although the pants look a little too wide at the bottom in the first pic. I would think you could find similar pants nowadays at Express, AT/Loft stores, and BR. Do you have a BR outlet near you? I find that the outlet pants fit better than the regular BR stores (and cheaper too).

• Christy April 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm

That is such a cute blouse!! I feel like it's colorful enough where you can pair it with all sorts of different colored blazers. It truly is a versatile piece ๐Ÿ™‚ The length of your pants are great! I have all my wide bottom pants in a box somewhere… thinking about taking them all out and giving them another chance now ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks for this post!!
    Christy
    Sunny with a side of…

• Amber @ EasyPetiteLooks.com April 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm

i absolutely love those pants on you! Thats a once in a lifetime thrifting find! I always like the blazers on you in the pictures, but I never end up keeping and H&M; clothes for long

• jen April 5, 2013 at 5:52 pm

hi jean,
    was wondering, are you wearing mineral makeup in these pictures? I keep reading conflicting advice about mineral makeup and photos but you always look amazing…could you let me know?

ps love your blog- a search for a discontinued mac shade somehow led me to your youtube channel, then blog…photos around boston bring back memories of bcg days

• Kimberly April 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm

They look very much like express editor pants I purchased right out of college, in 2004. I still wear mine all the time and they are the best fitting pant I own. I've bought a few more off ebay, but only 1 fit and draped like the originals. Hope that helps!

• maria April 5, 2013 at 7:18 pm

How do you care for clothes? I'm always amazed at the condition of clothes you say is years old.

• newpetite April 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Love the outfit! Have you tried this store called Papaya? Something like H&M; and they have some amazing options for petites.

• Midnight Cowgirl April 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Beautiful blouse!

• Suzie Q April 5, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I love the emerald green colored blazer options. Those pants are an amazing find, they look great!

Suzie Q

• Anonymous April 6, 2013 at 12:06 am

not a huge fan of this outfit, sorry jean <3 the last photo looks like you're on stilts but i'm not sure if it's the angle that makes you look so unproportional

• Lisa Lian April 6, 2013 at 12:52 am

i love the classic style of Ferragamo flats, but my feet are way too wide. do you have any suggestions for visually similar flats? maybe even with a slight heel, like the vara pumps. i would appreciate any advice. thanks!

• Russian Chic April 6, 2013 at 2:00 am

The trousers make your legs look super long!
    Jean, may I please ask what is the style number of your Prada Saffiano tote? Thank you

• I'm A Love Addict April 6, 2013 at 2:30 am

Great look

Come and visit my latest post >>>The perfect {prom} dress< <<

• Russian Chic April 6, 2013 at 3:18 am

Does your Saffiano tote fit letter ize file and a 13.3" MacBook Pro? Thank you.

• Lina April 6, 2013 at 9:07 am
  • QueenLina April 6, 2013 at 10:15 am
  • Jackie April 6, 2013 at 11:52 am

Those pants are great! What a find! I love the color combo here ๐Ÿ™‚

• Cassandra Westfall April 6, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Love the green blazer! Perfect spring work look!

Cassie

• Joy April 6, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Love that you're wearing the ASOS tulip pencil dress if I'm not mistaken.
    I agree about H&M; blazers. When it comes to cheaper blazers, H&M; still comes out on top when it comes to fit.

& thanks for the Spanx recommendations. I keep looking for a more wallet-friendly alternative, but it looks like none exist.
    I've tried the Spanx 'Higher Power,' but the seam down the middle is disgustingly visible to the eye.
    I've also been looking for a dress slip, but also haven' found one I like yet. If you have any suggestions, it'd be much appreciated!

shortandsweetjoy

• Alessia April 7, 2013 at 4:47 am

Those trousers look gorgeous! Thanks for great tips!:)

-Alessia

• Anonymous April 7, 2013 at 9:54 am

The pants are overwheing for ur tiny frame … It looks like the pants are wearing you… :-/

• Anonymous April 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm

More blog entries and updates please! I always look forward to your posts and it seems like you post much more infrequently. Your style is impeccable and I love ur tips!

• Jessica April 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm

The green blazer is lovely, the look is very versatile: for the office or drinks with friends ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jasmine Punia April 8, 2013 at 12:17 am

Love the color of the blazer!!!!
    -Jasmine