From Work to Weekend: Banana Republic Mad Men Collection

banana republic mad men

Me: Banana Republic dress c/o, Louboutin pumps, Burberry trench (similar), AT clutch
Nick: Banana Republic blazer, pants and tie c/o, Cole Haan shoes, DIY pocket square

When Banana Republic asked me to style my favorite piece from their Mad Men collection, this printed silk shirt dress was an easy choice. The colors are vibrant without being too retro, and I saw it as a great candidate for serving double duty as a blouse. Inspired by Khatu’s stylish husband, I also encouraged my boyfriend to take a break from behind the camera and join me for this post. Nick’s always been a fan of slim cut, tailored pieces, thus gravitated towards this subtle plaid wool suit and silk skinny tie.
banana republic mad men5
These photos were taken by Dave Salafia, who is a talented (and rather resourceful with limited spaces) Boston-based photographer. I’ve admired his work and was excited to be his subjects. A big thank you also goes to our friend Matteo, who let us take advantage of all the nooks and crannies in his beautiful loft.
banana republic mad men10

Me: J.Crew wool mini (altered), Coach court bag & no-brand shoe clips from eBay, AT pumps

We decided to show our favorite pieces styled for a more formal workplace, as well as for a weekend date. Nick dressed down his blazer by swapping out suit pants for comfy chinos, and replacing the white button-up with casual chambray. For me, I still wanted to let the silk print shine. I paired the dress with a soft ivory mini, and added personalized touches using beloved pre-owned finds.
banana republic mad men14

If anyone is interested in this dress, I can review the fit and show un-styled photos later this week. I am wearing a 00P here with no alterations. The dress is shift style, cut straight up and down with a self-tie belt that you can use to play around with the length. The natural length hits right above my knees (rode up a bit in the sitting photos), and I have it tucked into some shapewear when paired with the mini. The colors of this dress in-person are a coral orangey-red, true navy, and a very light taupe. banana republic mad men3
banana republic mad men12
banana republic mad men7

banana republic mad men11 Photo Credit: Dave Salafia
Readers – Did you pick up any pieces from this season’s Mad Men collection?

89 thoughts on “From Work to Weekend: Banana Republic Mad Men Collection

• Mary Ann March 18, 2013 at 12:41 am

Super cute photos, Jean – you and Nick look so cute! I love the blouse/dress, too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• ERIKA March 18, 2013 at 12:46 am

You are absolutely adorable Jean!!! The last picture is cute, definitely frame-deserving ๐Ÿ˜›

• Loretta March 18, 2013 at 12:49 am

Nice man! =)

• Wendy's Lookbook March 18, 2013 at 12:50 am

Amazing photo session Jean! Great styling and photography!

• Alice Lee March 18, 2013 at 1:06 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Vivian March 18, 2013 at 1:09 am

That's a really nice dress… I've always been into solids, but I think this would be a great piece to slowly add into my closet for colors and prints. You and Nick looks so nice!

• Anonymous March 18, 2013 at 1:19 am

You both look amazing!

• Anonymous March 18, 2013 at 1:24 am

Great looking couple! Nick is such a hottie.

• newpetite March 18, 2013 at 1:25 am

Beautiful pictures and the last one is my fav! Love it the way you have styled it with the skirt.

• Judy March 18, 2013 at 1:25 am

Your use of the dress as a top is brilliant, as are those navy shoe clips! The top/ivory skirt/navy shoe combo may be one of my favorite of yours yet. Great shoot!!

• lifebyappointment March 18, 2013 at 1:36 am

We've been wanting to feature the hubbies in a future post but have been met with some resistance. Hoping this post will encourage them to get in front of the camera!

• sarah March 18, 2013 at 2:42 am

What an awesome shoot!! You both look so polished and dapper. Loving how you showed how certain items could be reworn in different looks. And also how you match but aren't too matchy-matchy. So cute, you two!!

sarah <3

• Sydne Summer March 18, 2013 at 2:44 am

What gorgeous photos! These need to be on the Petites section of BR. Love it!

• jenn~the stylish housewife March 18, 2013 at 2:54 am

um, ok….CUTEST couple ever!!! i am in love with the dresses in this collection!!! the fit/styles are so much more my taste this time around!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Ana March 18, 2013 at 3:18 am

Wow! You two look so sharp! I love Nick's suit and since I know that Banana Republic offers tall sizing (for men) I might have to take a look at the men's collection for my husband. I love your dress, too, but I am trying to channel you this weekend already at a wedding and it would into stalker territory to also grab this dress! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Congrats on this campaign, you both look fantastic!

• Rachelle March 18, 2013 at 5:33 am

you both look great and so sharp.

xo

• Tathi March 18, 2013 at 6:34 am

I wish you all the happiness in the world! You and your boyfriend look so cute!

Kisses from Brazil

Tathi

• TaraMixandMatch March 18, 2013 at 7:31 am

What awesome photos…you two are perfect together!

• Fauxionista March 18, 2013 at 7:32 am

Of all the pieces, the dress that you picked was definitely my favorite. I didn't buy it coz of the price but am hoping to score one when it hits the sale rack! That looked like a fun shoot and good to see Nick in it, too. Perhaps there'll be more in future? ๐Ÿ™‚

fauxionista.com

• m March 18, 2013 at 7:37 am

you both look amazing!

• bettina March 18, 2013 at 7:43 am

What a beautiful shoot. You and Nick make a handsome couple ๐Ÿ™‚
    Can't believe that dress is tucked into the mini.. it looks like a blouse – brilliant!

• Anonymous March 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

Loved the pictures. Great shoot! You had a great team.

• Manon March 18, 2013 at 8:49 am

I was going to buy the same dress, but decided against in the end – I'm not brave enough to wear such bright colours >.< Manon

• R.L. March 18, 2013 at 8:56 am

Absolutely stunning!! Stunning photography and styling! I hope Nick will join you more often in photos, you guys look so great together.

• Jane March 18, 2013 at 9:23 am

Awesome post and awesome photos. You guys are such a cute couple and you look amazing as always =) greetings from Toronto!

• Fabulous Petite March 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

I adore this photos. Great styling and photography.

xo
    Sam

• pretty little things March 18, 2013 at 9:42 am

I love these mad men inspired photos — you both look fab! xo

• Col March 18, 2013 at 9:46 am

Beautiful photos– you both look so stylish!

• Elissa March 18, 2013 at 10:31 am

I didn't love the collection but you both look great!

xo Elissa

• Olyvia March 18, 2013 at 10:37 am

The photos are beautiful ! Perfect outfits and posing! These photos look better than most engagement photos I've seen, haha!

• lisacng @ expandng.com March 18, 2013 at 10:41 am

You two are such a stylish couple! Love the photos!!

• Candice March 18, 2013 at 10:59 am

Cute couple! =)

• Kathleen Lisson March 18, 2013 at 11:01 am

I love your couples style! My husband is a big fan of red pants, too!

• tasha March 18, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Yall look great. I need to go to BR and check out the collection.

• FashionEdible March 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Great post!! Fun shoot and I love that geometric top.

• Christie March 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

This is such a stylish look. So chic and sophisticated!

xx,

Christie

• Alma March 18, 2013 at 12:31 pm

You're such a cute couple! That dress it's worth a trip to Banana Republic… I'm also curious about the rest of the collection.

Btw, your alterations make me want to learn how to sew… you're a truly inspiration!

• countrygirlcityfashion March 18, 2013 at 12:55 pm

These pictures are gorgeous! I love Banana Republic, and Mad Men styles.

• andrea March 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Beautiful photos…love the outfits!

xoxo,
    Andrea

• Kholรก March 18, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Congrats on your BR shoot! Its very nice.

• Stephanie Lam March 18, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I actually went to BR to look at the pieces but I didn't love any one in particular! But they look so great on you!! I'll def have to go back for another look!

-Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.com

• Anonymous March 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I am the opposite of petite, but I still read your blog every day. I am so inspired by the way you put things together. This was an especially beautiful post. Your boyfriend could be a model too.

• Suzie Q March 18, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Great photos, you two look great! Love how you both styled your outfits. The loft made a great backdrop to the styled pieces!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• Michelle March 18, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Jean, this photoshoot is so special! You both look great…especially love Nick's date look! Also, your friend Dave did a great job! I am sure you will hear this countless times, but you two should be featured in an ad/catalog for Banana (or any company that you support). A real life couple that many people "know" would be fun and relatable.

If you choose to do a follow up review of this dress, I would be interested in knowing how you wash the dress. "Dry clean only" is usually a deterrent for me. I know some people that use laundry bags, and I am thinking it was you that suggested using a pillow case?

• Giovanna March 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Such a fun shoot! Loving y'alls looks! That multicolor tie is amaze!

xx
    Giovanna

• minnieyao March 18, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Ohhhh my those shots are amazing, it definitely looks like an ad!!!!

• Avenue Ahline March 18, 2013 at 9:02 pm

O! M! G! you guys together look amazing .. i just adore the photoshot ..
    what a great post.

xoxo
    avenueahline.blogspot.com

• Jessy March 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm

LOVE! I like how his pants matches your outfit in the end too!

• Julie_San March 18, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I love the collection and you both look great in the pieces! Also love the photo shoot setting. Banana Republic was right to ask you to style their pieces because I don't think I would have looked at it twice without coming here to see how it looked on.

• tbd March 18, 2013 at 11:57 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• tbd March 18, 2013 at 11:58 pm

i think i live at the lofts you were at! east boston?

• With Each Passing Day March 19, 2013 at 12:22 am

Beautiful photos. You two are the cutest and fashionable couple of the blogger world.

• Adelia March 19, 2013 at 3:47 am

Sweet couple. Very professional looking. Like it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Andria @ room in the garden March 19, 2013 at 6:49 am

Wow, those photos are so nice. Both of you look amazing.

• Anonymous March 19, 2013 at 8:49 am

amazing photos and a way too good looking couple!

Lucy

• Beantownbrown March 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Lovely photos! The dress is adorable.

๐Ÿ™‚ http://www.beantownbrown.blogspot.com

• May March 19, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Love the wonderful photos! It look so professional like from a catalog. Hopefully, BR features these photos on their site!

• Noelle March 19, 2013 at 4:35 pm

These are great!
    I shop @ BR a LOT and get tons of my cardigans from there (I love cardis) but I've always found their dress sizing to be a useless. 00P are always still way too large on me (and I suspect I'm a lil bigger than you). Did this fit straight on? It's so frustrating because I would love to wear some of their dresses.

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) March 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Awww you guys look great! Nick is such a great sport! I could NEVER get my husband to take serious pictures with me. Last time was our wedding LOL!!!!!

• alyson March 19, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Awww what a good boyfriend!! The photos turned out amazing… you guys are a gorgeous looking couple.

alyson
    the average girl's guide

• Anonymous March 19, 2013 at 10:03 pm

You are so pretty!! and Nick is so handsome! Love the photos!

• Maggie Adofo March 19, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I just love the style on Mad Men! ๐Ÿ™‚

xo
    Maggie A
    Love Mavin

• AubreyOhDang! March 20, 2013 at 1:07 am

lame, wrote smthg and it got deleted.
    i asked brett, "what do u think of nick's shoes?" he said, "i really like them." so i hope to get him these bc he normally has the worst taste in shoes.

• j. March 20, 2013 at 1:21 am

Jean,

I noticed that you deleted my comment on the H&M; clothing donation post. As you may recall, my comment addressed the lack of transparency in the allocation of profits derived from the redistribution of clothing donated to this program and the program's failure to address underlying problems of fast fashion and environmentally destructive practices by H&M;'s contractors in developing countries.

I have read this blog for many years and have always considered it to be a forum for honest dialogue where differing opinions may be shared and discussed. I did not expect that my comment would be viewed as malicious, discriminatory or irrelevant. I also did not think that it was outlandish or inappropriate. Was my comment censored because you were required to remove negative comments pursuant to your arrangement with H&M;, because you just wanted to maintain goodwill with their PR folks, or because you just didn't like what you saw? Your input in this matter would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    J.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 20, 2013 at 1:51 am

Hi J – I take this matter very seriously, which I hope you can tell via my prompt response despite it being 2AM here! I appreciate you being a longtime reader, and like you mentioned, I also appreciate honest, respectful dialogue on here even if the opinions differ from my own. I do not moderate any comments that are made in a courteous manner. Unfortunately, there are a ton of spammers out there and your comment (looks like AubreyOhDang's up above did too) got caught within Blogger's spam filter and I apologize about that. I try to monitor it as it's not always accurate, but this month there were several thousand spam comments (those ppl/spambots are simply relentless!) and I just found yours and re-published it. My apologies again, and I hope to move to a new commenting system soon to help mitigate this issue.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 20, 2013 at 2:05 am

Yes! Small world! Beautiful place you live in.

• SincerelySammie March 20, 2013 at 5:39 am

You both look fabulous in this photo shoot! Love the Mad Men look!

• Anonymous March 20, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Jean, could you mention which Cole Haan shoes Nick has on?

• Jen March 20, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I am in LOVE with this photo set! You and Nick are such an elegant and well-dressed couple. <3 Miss you both!!

• Love Style March 20, 2013 at 6:48 pm

oh wow! these photos are so cool! they look like they actually ARE the ad for Banana Republic! i think i love all of these photos!

Maggie
    lovestylehappiness.blogspot.com

• Anonymous March 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm

You guys look amazing. Gorgeous couple indeed. ๐Ÿ™‚

• J. March 20, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Jean,

Thank you for responding so promptly. I have found it frustrating to see certain popular fashion bloggers police their comments section and screen out any criticisms, even if constructive. I was worried for a moment that this blog has fallen down the path and am glad that you have cleared the air. Your efforts to keep this blog a space for honest exchanges of ideas are much appreciated.

Best,
    J.

• Cassandra Westfall March 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Love the retro prints! I never used to be a fan of red, white/cream, and navy, but lately it seems like such a fresh combination, especially in cool graphic prints.

Cassie

• Anonymous March 20, 2013 at 10:38 pm

It's funny you mention the spam Jean.. I noticed a few had slipped through the last time I was reading your blog. They've since disappeared. Can't believe there are so many that get deleted!

• wllwproject March 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Sweet ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 3:45 am

The last photo is my favorite of you two! Definitely a portrait worthy of hanging around the house! ๐Ÿ™‚

• lovemydog March 22, 2013 at 12:13 am

can't help leaving the comment that you two look absolutely cute together! Gosh i really love the one that you stand next to him while he's sitting on the stairs, both smiling. Perfect shot!

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2013 at 12:22 am

Hi there – They were a Cole Haan outlet store find last year and I can't find anything similar on their website , unfortunately! The current styles on the site are surprisingly "trendy" for Cole Haan…hope they don't forget their classics!

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2013 at 12:23 am

Are you talking about the Clarks? I think he'll love them! They have a lower top version I believe, better suited for you socal'ers.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2013 at 12:25 am

Hi Noelle – their items are usually still a little roomy but fit better than other petite brands out there. I've accepted the fact that alteration costs are necessary to achieve the prefect fit for pencil or sheath-style dresses. This was a straight-cut shift style so I am okay with the looser fit.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2013 at 12:29 am

Aw thank you Michelle! And you bring up a great question that I'll have to defer to any experts. I don't think I was the one with the pillow case idea as (I think!) its the first time I've heard that tip! I usually do get silk items dry cleaned but have tried to wash some by hand in cold water. I do that for solid silks but am slightly nervous that colored prints might run. And for dry clean only items, I always try to wear a T shirt or something underneath to keep the garment as clean as possible to minimize cleaning, which not only adds up $ wise but I feel slowly wears down the luster of items over time.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2013 at 12:30 am

Thanks so much, and I am glad that the name of this blog doesn't deter you from visiting!

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2013 at 12:31 am

Lol, I'll have to pass long that compliment to our photographer : )

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2013 at 12:32 am

Aw, hope you have a blast at the wedding, Ana! And I absolutely love that BR offers short and tall options as well for our men.

• Ileana Marcel March 22, 2013 at 10:53 am

Love seeing the red color pop in both outfits….and love the print of the blouse. Keep blogging.

-ileana

OC style blogger

• Anonymous March 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Cute couple! You guys look really good in those outfits.

• Anonymous March 30, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Fabulous pics of you both, Jean, you look so great! Just had to mention that your legs look fab too, especially in pics #2 and #5 ๐Ÿ˜‰ Keep up the great work, love your blog!

• grace April 8, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Hi Jean! I'm a big fan of your blog (although I don't say much, sorry…), and you looked absolutely gorgeous in this dress. It inspired me to pick it up, but I'm having trouble knowing what to do with the sleeves. They look boxy/too big when I just leave them down, but I'm not sure how to fold them properly. I tried just turning the cuff over, but then it's too tight? (& I have skinny wrists) Kinda embarrassed, since I don't know why this is an issue…thanks!!

• Anonymous May 20, 2013 at 11:09 pm