• Winter Casual: Army jacket, booties + DIY leopard clutch

leopard_clutch

Gap army jacket (similar) & sweater, thrifted skirt, Hue tights, Revlon “Vixen” nail polish, DIY clutch
    Adrienne Vittadini ankle boots (similar – plus Nordies’ shoe sale has begun! lots of small sizes)

70hr work weeks and snowy terrain has left me with no new photos, but here’s an old outfit that I wore to a friend’s engagement party. I wanted something comfy and casual, but still chic enough for the night out. Basic black served as the base, the tweed skirt added texture, and a pop of leopard print finished off the outfit.

I first saw a leopard foldover clutch on Wendy’s blog and fell in love. It was sold out, so I decided to try my hand at DIY. I’m sure the quality of mine doesn’t come close to a professional one, but it satisfies my craving for now : )

leopard_clutch1
    PS – Going to try and answer all your pre-owned Coach bag questions in a post this weekend. Please stay tuned!

71 thoughts on “Winter Casual: Army jacket, booties + DIY leopard clutch

• Tinacious Me February 13, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I can't believe you made the clutch? It looks really nice!

• Life in Petite February 13, 2013 at 11:59 pm

i am always SO impressed by your DIYs! please do a tutorial! 🙂 i'd love to make some custom clutches myself!

L&F;,
      KC

• yutzyjbear February 14, 2013 at 12:00 am

hope you recorded your bag DIY… you know we'd love to learn!

• Asia Monique February 14, 2013 at 12:12 am

LOVE the look. Great color combos and pairings! This DIY clutch: something I've been dying to create for myself so I would love to see how you created it.

• Christie February 14, 2013 at 12:38 am

Love the DIY clutch, I must say the entire outfit looks amazing!

xx,

Love and Company

• Stylejourneys February 14, 2013 at 12:40 am

you look amazing as usual Jean~

Stylejourneys

• Theresa February 14, 2013 at 12:57 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Suzie Q February 14, 2013 at 1:25 am

Great job on the clutch! It looks great! Love how you paired the look with the army jacket.

xoxo,
      Suzie Q

• mai February 14, 2013 at 1:32 am

wow, the clutch looks amazing!
      hope you get a bit more rest/relaxation time in soon!

• Vivian February 14, 2013 at 1:33 am

Been eyeing those type of tights you've been wearing in some of your blog posts, they're very nice! I've never considered wearing tights under skirts but will definitely try that, looks classy! (=
      And YEY! Super excited for the Coach post!!! Will be looking forward to it.

• FashionEdible February 14, 2013 at 1:56 am

You are really talented! It's always fun to see what DIYs bloggers do and I don't think I've ever seen a clutch done. Would love to see a tutorial 🙂
      FashionEdible

• Angie | Pandaphilia.com February 14, 2013 at 2:14 am

i can't believe you made those! the zipper and calfhair texture makes it look so expensive. i'd love a quick tutorial. get some sleep and rest !

• Carol Li February 14, 2013 at 5:29 am

I love your clutch. It's gorgeous. I'd love to see a tutorial on how you made it.

• Rachelle February 14, 2013 at 5:34 am

Love this outfit, and that clutch is superb I would love to see a DIY.

xo

• LaDonna Marie February 14, 2013 at 8:09 am

Agree with everone's comments on the clutch. Amazing-looking for a DIY. You are very talented. I've always daydreamed about sewing projects…. but no sewing machine, haha. Maybe someday I will invest in one.

• Anonymous February 14, 2013 at 10:25 am

I'm a longtime fan of your blog – I hope you post the tutorial for the DIY clutch! I would love to make one myself.

• Sofia Cardoso February 14, 2013 at 10:32 am

I'm Portuguese and i love your blog. The clutch is beautiful, you did a great job. 🙂

• Phoebe February 14, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hi Jean!! Love your outfit and clutch!! Did you use a thicker needle on your sewing machine? xoxo, Phoebe

• Marla February 14, 2013 at 11:06 am

Your clutch looks great! Along with everyone else… I would love to see a tutorial and info on where you got the supplies. Love the outfit too!

• Odette February 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm

You really inspire my long desire to do my own alterations and diy bags. Curious how casual you get on weekends – I'm a mom of 2, recently petite (again), trying to figure out how to pair up jeans and still be fashionista without trying so hard. Any advice or ideas would be great!

• pretty little things February 14, 2013 at 1:07 pm

this is a great look – and love the leopard details too! xo

• Candice February 14, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Hi Jean! Love your DIY clutch. Along with everyone else, I would love to see a tutorial on how you made the clutch. You did a great job!

• newpetite February 14, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Love your DIY version!

• lisacng @ expandng.com February 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Love your boots and DIY clutch!!!! Can't wait hear more about vintage Coach purchases!

• Anonymous February 14, 2013 at 2:15 pm

That's it, I'm getting an army jacket. 🙂

• Stephanie Lam February 14, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Oh no, 70 hour work weeks!!?? Are you in ibanking? Just curious!! Also, that clutch looks really great!! You did a wonderful job! 🙂

-Stephanie
      @LaminLouboutins.com

• mel February 14, 2013 at 7:25 pm

That's an amazing DIY clutch. I'd love to see a tutorial.

• beautyexprezz February 15, 2013 at 2:44 am

Love the clutch! You must show us a tutorial!

• Mary Ann February 15, 2013 at 3:00 am

Great job on the clutch, Jean! Where did you get the fabric…or leather?

• gigiofca February 15, 2013 at 3:40 am

Nice! Great job on the clutch.

• M. February 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I loved that gap jacket when I saw it before on your blog and I've been checking a bunch of sites for something similar – and I just found a similar jacket at H&M.; It made me ridiculously happy. Here is the link: http://www.hm.com/us/product/04161?article=04161-A.

• lin February 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm

great diy clutch. i would have never guessed that you made it yourself. 😉

• GEMMA February 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm

You look sooo sooo pretty:)

Come say HI on my blog: http://www.gemmamonclus.blogspot.com

Love, Gemma

• Miriam February 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Hi Jean!!! I just wanted to write that a few days ago i was dining with another blogger and we were talking about how much we enjoyed your blog… well she brought to my attention the whole subject of plagerism with another blogger who will remain nameless and i nearly fell out of my chair.. mainly b/c a few years ago i had unfollowed this blogger who will remain nameless for original content. It was so obvious to me.. Me, someone who was brand new to the blogging world and had no idea that there were any forums or online discussions….anyways, it's such a shame but i just wanted to tell you that i support you! <3

• Anonymous February 15, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I wish people would stop "attacking" the other blogger who supposedly have copied a lot of styles from extrapetite. If I wanted to, I can also go through all the styles from extrapetite site and find many that I can say she copied from others like Wendy's lookbook, Alternation needed, and many others. You guys buy the same items from the same stores like Ann Taylor, H&M;, Banana Republic and Loft. Is it a crime to wear the same clothes and sometimes style them in the same color/way? As for the Twitter photo account that someone who targeted the other blogger put up, some of the photos are months or even a year apart. I can say the same about extrapetite here who definitely posted a burnt orange H&M; jacket outfit AFTER the other blogger did on her blog. How come no one is speaking up about this blog? Quite a few petite bloggers were posting on twitter about this and it sounds suspiciously to me that you guys are ganging up on the other blogger. It's not fair. Just leave it alone and the attention will go away.

• Giovanna February 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Cute look! Love that coat! I really need to find a good army green utility jacket!

xx
      Giovanna
      Blog, Inc. Giveaway!

• Anonymous February 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I never comment on blogs because I typically am just looking for inspiration but noticed the whole "twitter feud" and have to say, everyone stop being mean girls! Yes, one blogger dresses like one, that one has started to dress like another one, and on and on, but really, does it matter? I frequent many blogs, and most ideas/outfits/styles of writing, originate from a few early innovators. Yes, it would be polite/respectful to credit everything back to those you were inspired by but it's also impolite, disrespectful, and just plain mean to use the internet as a means to bully or shame another.

• Anonymous February 15, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Why let "snowy terrain" get in the way of more outfit photos? Why not post more "real life" looks that other people can use as inspiration for the real world? You keep mentioning in various posts that you changed into flats or rain boots later. Why not show what actually works in the real world instead of only posting ideal shots that would only work if we didn't have to commute and lived in a temperature- and weather-controlled box? I think it is most inspiring when bloggers are both practical and stylish and can actually live their out their lives in the outfits they post. Thanks for your consideration.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm

To both anons up above-

I'm truly sorry my words have been perceived as bullying. I understand that it's not possible for any uninvolved bystanders to know the extent of what has gone on or how much effort has been made to resolve it in a private, respectful manner. As I appreciate every longtime reader on this blog, I hope you can allow me to explain why I said what I did. I certainly don't believe buying the same mainstream items or dressing alike is an issue. However, I do find repeated actions such as the following to be unacceptable:

– hiring tech help to replicate online layouts and design of sites created by others (2 incidents)
      – trying to hire Etsy sellers that can sew (who refused) to replicate DIY ideas from here
      – contacting my non-mainstream sponsors to self-promote and ask for the same exact items
      – hunting down (over 20) specific, vintage gifts from my loved ones or items I've found in thrift stores for her own content, at times fabricating their origins to readers
      – using copied content to earn revenue through affiliate links, side advertisements, and sponsorships, or using a replicated outfit for sponsored features to gain traffic
      – creating Blogger "followers" that end up inflating blog statistics
      – blocking anyone (myself included) who suggests giving credit
      – repeatedly contacting my readers and fellow bloggers to sell her their own items (items that were shown on here and subsequently sold out)
      – when asked, replies that she does not read this blog

…amongst other incidents. I completely believe in giving a person many chances and in being respectful, but that is also a 2-way street. Since countless private communications did not work, I spoke up to encourage more integrity and individuality in the blogging community vs. continuing to sweep it under the rug. If speaking up against 3 years of copying for personal gain is construed as bullying, then I'm disappointed. Unfortunately, I do understand there are consequences to publicly speaking my honest opinions on a topic I feel strongly about, and know that many will not agree with or condone what I did. I apologize if I have offended readers, and only ask that you also consider the many other sides to situations that may happen behind the scenes.

• Debbie Lee February 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Love the heels! I'm going to look for some on Stitch right now!