• Warm winter days: Caramel stripes + leather panels

stripedskirt2

J.Crew Schoolboy blazer in petite (on sale), Forever21 skirt with leather panels added (similar)
    Robert Rodriguez cashmere dolman sweater (similar), YSL heels (similar),  Chanel WOC
    In the midst of a cold, snowy spell this week, I dug out these photos from milder days in southern California. I saw this skirt on Wendy a while back, and was surprised that the base was from Forever21. She has a penchant for adding leather accents to mass-market clothing (ie. this ASOS blazer), effectively transforming them into unique, customized pieces. I loved the resulting skirt on her, and couldn’t believe she had a second one made to share!
    stripedskirt1 For brunch with friends in LA, I wore this simply with a cozy cashmere sweater. This is one of my oldest eBay finds, and I love the casual fit and generous dolman sleeves. It took Nick about 5 years to accept his girlfriend dressing like a bat, but that milestone has been passed.

stripedskirt3
    I’ve also worn this skirt to work as shown with the blazer. I was initially hesitant, since the skirt is snug on me as evidenced by the creases across the hips. However, the longer length helps, and it received so many compliments and inquiries at my office. My colleagues are dazzled by my creative and thoughtful friends – every time they ask where a skirt is from, the answer seems to be “custom” or “hand-made” (cue boggled-looking eyes). And speaking of thoughtful friends, I completely have Cee to thank for letting me know about these shoes for sale!
    stripedskirt4
    This blazer was a real workhorse during my last trip. Here it was with festive red pants, and here’s another casual pairing for touring the plentiful craft breweries in San Diego. When trying to pack light for a variety of occasions, you can’t go wrong with items in this neutral color.

stripedskirt5(had slipped into comfy flats for the car ride…not barefoot!)

These photos were actually taken at a rest stop between LA and San Diego. We stopped for a potty break, and stayed for the beautiful sunset after the storm.

Readers – Hope you’re having a wonderful week, and staying warm and dry!

89 thoughts on “Warm winter days: Caramel stripes + leather panels

• Julia February 6, 2013 at 12:40 am

You look elegant with the caramel+black combination! LA to SD is not a long drive, but for longer road trips or flight travels, what do you usually wear? I am very curious and hope one day you would have a post dedicated to the comfy but still presentable travel outfits (sweatshirt+jeans maybe? jk!)

Julia from Closet de Jules

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 12:45 am

Sweatshirt + soft leggings (yes, I know fashionistas out there are cringing) are the best! I have an old kids UCLA hoodie and H&M; kids leggings that I've worn to pieces. Jeans might be too restricting if they're a skinny style and end up cutting off circulation. If you want to look presentable, just make sure to wear a longer top or tunic to cover up the crotch with leggings and some comfy but chic black flats.

• Michelle February 6, 2013 at 12:53 am

Love the leather paneling on this skirt. The color combo looks great on you. Another favorite. If I had a Pinterest, I would be Pinning this. 🙂

It is tough when your significant other does not always love an item as much as you, huh? I have put lots of items back on the rack after seeing the disgusted face. :/

Those heels are awesome! I really should try pumps.

• Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 12:55 am

Jean, did you attended college at UCLA? just wondering….

I love your blog a lot because I get to learn about fashion. Thank you.

Grace

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 12:59 am

Don't let the SO's scrunched up nose dictate your style! Stay strong and wear what you love ; )

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 1:00 am

Thank you, Grace! I almost did (loved it there), but went to school in Boston instead.

• Stephanie Lam February 6, 2013 at 1:16 am

I love that skirt on you!! The skirt is perfection!! Do you know if Wendy sewed it herself or if she brought it somewhere?

-Stephanie
      @LaminLouboutins.blogspot.com

• Lulu February 6, 2013 at 1:34 am

That sweater…it's amazing!

• SewPetiteGal February 6, 2013 at 1:46 am

Jean, these pics are gorgeous! I'm loving the dusk-y / cloudy backdrop as well as your ensemble. I don't think it's possible for you to put together something poorly.

• Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 1:57 am

Jean, could you please share with us what kind of camera/lens you use for shooting the gorgeous pictures on your blog?

• Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 2:04 am

love the skirt and pumps! do you mind sharing how much you got them for and where? cant afford to pay full retail for them.

• jenn~the stylish housewife February 6, 2013 at 2:05 am

wendy is THE best at customizing pieces by adding faux leather panels/pockets! i love this skirt on you too! and totally LOL'ing at the "bat" comment. i have heard similar comments from the hubby. =)

xoxo, jenn
      the stylish housewife

• Carol Li February 6, 2013 at 3:32 am

I love the skirt on you. At first I thought it was very wendy-esque and then read on to find out that it was gifted by wendy!

• Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 3:49 am

How do you clean the skirt with the leather panels? Does it go into the washer/dryer?

• Fauxionista February 6, 2013 at 4:23 am

Great skirt and love the almost dusky background of the pics!

fauxionista.com

• Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 5:45 am

just chanced upon your blog only recently, but i have to say, it's now one of my favourites! i Love your style!

• Petite Adventures February 6, 2013 at 7:16 am

Great skirt!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

• Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 7:29 am

I love the skirt..it looks amazing 🙂

• Sahar Fallah February 6, 2013 at 7:30 am

Hi,

I have a question regarding this post of yours:

About the shoes!I also have very small feet and it's hard to find shoes that feet and don't come out of my foot!
      I see something like a stretch band behind the shoe. is that a trick to hold the shoe tight around foot or it's just part of the shoe?
      i appreciate if you can send me an email or make a post about this.
      sahar.fall@yahoo.com

• Rachelle February 6, 2013 at 8:01 am

Love this outfit, and the wooden heels are perfect.

xo

• Lissy February 6, 2013 at 8:06 am

Ahh the skirt is fab, how creative! I'm wishing for some warmer weather.

• mary @ BGjournals February 6, 2013 at 8:44 am

recently got that same blazer for myself and love it–though it looks much better on you. and so funny that nick has finally reached that milestone with you—i love that cozy sweater!

• Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 9:40 am

Hi Jean,
      I am petite, but curvy, and have a really hard time finding long shirts/tunics that cover my hip and lady areas, haha. Any recommendations? Thanks!
      xoxo

• Janice // twoaftertwenty February 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

Absolutely love this ensemble. Those caramel stripes are amazing with that jacket!

• Anna D Kart February 6, 2013 at 10:01 am

Love the camel blazer and you look absolutely lovely in both outfits. Very elegant

Happymedley.blogspot.com

• Shira February 6, 2013 at 10:12 am

Love that skirt and blazer-such an awesome neutral look! xoxo
      sequinsandpolkadots.blogspot.com

• pretty little things February 6, 2013 at 10:18 am
    • lisacng @ expandng.com February 6, 2013 at 11:09 am

How kind of Wendy to share that skirt with you. It's so cool! Love it with the sweater (LOL bat) and the blazer. Very nice photos at the sunset rest stop!!! I love that you're always prepared with the camera and that you actually wear these outfits IRL and weren't planning for a shoot & totally nailed it!

• Rosie February 6, 2013 at 11:59 am

The camel blazer is now just $129.99 at jcrew.com. I have the blue one and get so many complements on it. That shows the power of a well tailored garment — thanks, Jean, for teaching me the importance of good fit!

• Rosie February 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Sorry, that's $139.99. Still a deal!

• choochooli February 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Hi Jean, this is my first time commenting on your blog, even though I've been a reader for a long time. I subscribe to many blogs via my google reader, but yours has always been one of my favourites! I love reading through whatever you have to say, they're always so thorough and well researched! Your thriftiness is another aspect that I love so much. I recently starting blogging too, and one of the inspirations was your blog and passion for style, so thank you! 🙂 I'm less than a month into the process, but I've already noticed that blogging has made me more aware of my wardrobe, what my tendencies are, and what I should try to develop it further.

Great outfit, I love every single piece, I love the photography too!

• Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Hi Jean, I'm looking to buy this blazer. What size do you wear? I think we are the same size. I never bought anything from Jcrew before and wanted to make sure that I get the right size since it's final sale.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Of course (& thank you!)! Specific camera and lens info are linked here: http://www.extrapetite.com/p/about.html

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Hi there – I'm wearing 00P here.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hi Sahar – that's actually all leather and part of the design of the shoe (two colors in the back). It's not elastic or stretchy.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Dry clean – I wouldn't recommend putting anything leather into the washer or dryer.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thank you! Cee (blogger at Brighten Day) helped me buy them pre-owned from someone selling them for a little under $200.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hi Stephanie – her tailor (Hector in LA) did it.

• phiphis blog February 6, 2013 at 2:51 pm

gorgeous look – i love that blazer on you and especially how versatile it is. all of your stylings show just how many ways it can be worn giving different looks. the skirt is TDF.

xox P

• Arts February 6, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Jean, are those shoes comfortable? I love high heels but don't find comfortable ones very often.