• Winter Work Wear: Gray Layers + Burgundy Leather Accents

burgundyandgray4

J.Crew lady day coat & tee, skirt made by the talented SPG (similar – use MONDAY for extra 40% off)
    AT factory tights (similar), AT loafer pumps (similar – use CYBER for 50% off), H&M; blazer & gloves

Even though winter doesn’t start for another month, it sure feels like it now in the northeast. For those headed back to work after a long weekend, morning temps in the 20’s may make it even tougher. I’ve lined up my coat with Thinsulate, thickest tights, warm tweed, and leather gloves to battle the elements.
    burgundyandgray3
    Stylish winter workwear that doesn’t involve black tights is always challenging for me. My past attempts with colored hosiery have not fared well, but I’m looking to experiment more with tights in dark navy, hunter green, and possibly deep burgundy. Dark “melange” or heathered gray can be an good bridge between black and colors, and looks nice against non-black shoes.

burgundyandgray1
    burgundyandgray2
    burgundyandgray
    I love so many things about these leather gloves -$15 sale price, buttery soft material, pretty wine color (also in cognac and black), slim fit- but the length is almost embarrassing on my short fingers. From certain angles, it’s evident that the last segment in each finger is completely empty. I’ve contemplated self-altering gloves, but the linings are usually seamless knits. I have never found any leather gloves that fit 2.5″ fingers, so I’d love to hear any solutions from fellow short-fingered ladies.

86 thoughts on “Winter Work Wear: Gray Layers + Burgundy Leather Accents

• Anonymous December 5, 2012 at 12:10 am

Your choice of colors in this outfit is horrendous. What made you want to buy those shoes? You can't work it. 🙁

• Anonymous December 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I think this look is great! I'm actually very interested in hearing your dos and don'ts of wearing tights with pumps. What type and or color of shoes work and how to pair them with tights? I am sure there are no set rules but I would like to avoid looking like a fool at work or when I'm out! 😉

• Justine December 10, 2012 at 1:34 am

I recently learned about reversible tights and thought of this post. Reversible tights are thicker, warmer, and sturdier because they're constructed of two layers of material. Styles are available in many different color combinations and patterns. For my winter wardrobe, I'm considering pairs in solid black/solid grey, solid black/solid brown, and solid black/patterned black. Although I'm commenting to tell you about colored tights, apparently I'm still stuck on black tights! Hmmm, maybe I would consider a black/red reversible pair . . .

• Buttercorn December 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

love your blog! just wondering what size you're wearing from the J crew coat? I am of a similar height and frame and not sure if I should be ordering petite 00 or petite 0?

• Melanie December 23, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Your necklace and your shoes (especially the shoes) are the most amazing things in this outfit. The entire outfit is simple but both the necklace and the shoes make the outfit so stylish !

Love xx
      Melanie ~ http://www.mlncrd.com

• Anonymous July 17, 2016 at 11:28 pm

You are sooo pretty, especially when you pair stylish stuff with tights!