Fair-weather fall: Cream wool skirt & cognac ankle boots

dallas4

Adrienne Vittadini booties (similar), H&M; bag & knit blazer (similar, cute b&w; striped one too)
Thrifted wool skirt (similar – up to 30% off w/ WINTER), blouse c/o Ann Taylor, Talbots earrings thanks to Elle

Just a quick post today sharing forgotten photos from Dallas last month. Night temps there cooled to a mild mid-60’s, and I wore this outfit to low-key drinks with friends. For those who live in a warmer climate but still want to inject seasonality into outfits, look for cold-weather materials like wool and leather, but in smaller doses. A wool mini can probably carry you through three seasons, as can leather ankle booties.
dallas

dallas3
I realize that ankle boots are more flattering on long, lean legs than stubby ones…but I haven’t been able to give them up yet. I love the fall-ready look they add to what could otherwise be a summery outfit. Black booties are easier to wear without truncating short legs (just add black tights or streamlined pants). Brown look great with skinny jeans, but are a little harder to style otherwise – I’ve tried both bare-legged and gray tights with these, and am not fully sure about either. dallas1dallas2And oh, thank you to everyone who gave crawfish recommendations in Dallas. Unfortunately they were out-of-season, but we finally got our Boiling Crab fix after many failed attempts in CA. Judging from the volume of audible slurps when we walked in, I knew that it had to be a good place. I don’t recommend the Texas blue crabs with hard, brittle shells, but the large shrimp and crab legs were fantastic with rice, corn and spoonfuls of sauce.
dallas5
The only downside was, the smell of whole sha-bang sauce came along with us for the rest of the day and onto the plane. Don’t wear stuff you care about here, because the sauce will find a way to get you. I opened my clutch for a split second, and Nick managed to launch some well-seasoned crab smack dab inside.

54 thoughts on “Fair-weather fall: Cream wool skirt & cognac ankle boots

• Anonymous November 28, 2012 at 10:34 pm

You look so young and pretty in this post. Love your blog

• m November 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm

you look so sophisticated! love the ankle booties; i totally want a pair!

• Natasha xoxo November 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Surprisingly, i think the brown ankle boots look great on you! I like the idea of having a classic alternative for heels.

xo, tasha
    Enter to win a monogram pendant necklace

• lin November 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm

jean, you look so sophisticated yet very chic….and i love the backdrops, perfect place for what you're wearing. 😉

• Jackie November 28, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Your legs are NOT stubby!! The whole outfit looks great 🙂

• Suzie Q November 29, 2012 at 12:03 am

Great outfit, love the booties with the look. The print and color of the blouse is cute, but I'm not in love with the fit/shape of it. It doesn't do your slim silhouette full justice. Hope you had fun in Dallas!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• Michelle November 29, 2012 at 12:07 am

You can definitely pull off booties because you have toned legs. It also seems to help when paired with shorter skirts/bottoms.

You guys even smelled on the plane?! Lol!

• Erin November 29, 2012 at 12:12 am

I think these boots look great on you! The color is very pretty and looks great with your floral top and blazer. Looks like it was a fun trip!

-Erin-
    OneTwoSummer

• Becca Friedman November 29, 2012 at 12:51 am

jean you have gorgeous legs! they are not stubby!

• With Each Passing Day November 29, 2012 at 12:58 am

The booties looks great on you. You have amazing toned legs.

• Sammy November 29, 2012 at 1:40 am

So I've been on your blog for the past hour, and am SO happy that I came across it. I'm a petite girl (4'10, ~93 lbs), and I find it SO hard to find clothes that fit! I'm 21, and want to dress a bit more sophisticated. I've been trying to find a formal winter coat that's reasonably priced for some time, but it's extremely difficult since I'm pint-sized. I always find cute coats online, but am weary about purchasing even the smallest petite size, in fear that it will not fit. After reading your posts, I feel that I have some hope! I'm going to give ASOS a try since you mentioned they run small. Here's the coat I'm thinking about purchasing: http://us.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2540490&cid;=8353&r;=1&mk;=na We'll see if will fit…if not, may have to see the tailor. Anyways, thanks SO much for this, it's much appreciated. 🙂

• Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 3:23 am

Glad you enjoyed boiling crab (: I know a couple that brings disposable gloves when they eat there bc they eat 10lbs of it between the 2 of them and build serious crawfish head "walls". It's quite hilarious. I think those booties look great on you. Makes me want to try some on.

• The Petite Blogger November 29, 2012 at 4:02 am

so pretty!!!!! love ur dressing style! so chic!

xoxo jenna
    Visit my blog at The Petite Blogger
    Find me on Chictopia

• Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 4:10 am

this might sound a little crazy, but have you ever thought of pairing those booties with a pair of dark brown tights?
    i don't think they look bad on you, but a dark tight might really elongate and pull the look together…
    great look though- love how you styled it!

• Jessy @ mens shirt collar November 29, 2012 at 5:02 am

The color combination is great, cognac ankle boot enhances the glamour of the outfit.

• Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 5:11 am

You're fella is a babe! 🙂

• Puppies and Purses November 29, 2012 at 6:17 am

Love that blazer!

• Rachelle's Jewelry Box November 29, 2012 at 6:50 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Rachelle's Jewelry Box November 29, 2012 at 6:51 am

Love this look the mini skirt with the booties is really cute.
    Xo
    Rachelle

• Carla Krae November 29, 2012 at 7:30 am

I have a black wool mini that was $19 before tax at the mall that still looks new at nearly 20 years old. The neat thing about the wool is that liquid rolls right off of it, so I've never had a stain so it's never needed to go to the dry cleaner often.

• Nicole November 29, 2012 at 7:47 am

Wonderful outfit! You look so pretty!

• Laura @ Chaotic Domestic November 29, 2012 at 8:24 am

I love this outfit. The blazer over the peplum goes perfectly. And I love the ankle boots! Don't give them up!

• Lisa - respect the shoes November 29, 2012 at 8:56 am

Seriously, I wish I could take more trips together with my honey – you guys are well-scheduled and always seem like you have a great time together!

• sarahsreallife November 29, 2012 at 8:57 am

I think the boots are working for you! I mean you don't look TALL, but you don't look stumpy either, at least to my eyes.

Sarah's Real Life

• Panina November 29, 2012 at 10:10 am

I really like this outfit, the location, and your nicely done up hair! It's a bit different from what you usually post, which is one of the many reasons why I enjoy this blog so much! I've always liked your style for work, but I especially enjoy seeing your outfits when you go out on the town or on vacation with Nick. You're extra creative and you have fun with style, but still manage to look classy.

And I agree with everyone, those ankle booties look super chic on you, love them!

• TorontoRunner November 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

You are absolutely gorgeous and classy!

• Laura at Simply Lowcountry November 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

White wool skirt is on my current wish list!

Xo-L

simplylowcountry.blogspot.com

• Petite Adventures November 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Gorgeous blouse – the colours are amazing!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

• Janki November 29, 2012 at 11:55 am

I live in Texas (Austin) now from growing up in the Bay Area. I like it but have a hard time getting used to the heat and long warm weather seasons. Seriously my 2nd grade son wears shorts about 9 months a year, and probably could wear them longer but I insist he wear pants after Halloween.
    It's tough for the fall because I want to wear fall clothes but the weather doesn't support that, but it seems weird to wear a floral outfit.
    Your look is great– just perfect.
    The boots are cute, and I think can work for a more casual look since the skirt is shorter.
    Interesting info on the crab. I see the "Joe's Crab Shack" all over the place but sadly I need to find a friend to eat it with me. My husband is allergic to seafood. I can imagine the aromas you had when you returned on the plane. Half the time someone brings along a big highly seasoned burrito or garlic sandwhich on the plane anyhow, so I'm sure it wasn't that bad.

Can you do a tutorial on taking a waist in? I'm hitting the thrift stores lately (after just getting my new machine)… it's 50% sale tomorrow and I'm looking to get some items that may need some alterations.

• lisacng @ expandng.com November 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm

You look great in the booties. Your legs aren't stubby at all!!! And LOL on the crabmeat finding its way inside your bag. Hope you were able to clean it out. I love seafood!

• Candice November 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Jean,

Cute ankle boots! I don't think your legs are stubby at all!
    Would you have any recommendations on nude/skin color tights?

• Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I have those exact same booties in black suede. I love them! And yes, they do look awesome with black tights. Men especially seem to like them. 😉 I got mine from Ideeli. They also had the brown ones you are wearing, which I foolishly did not purchase. The best part about these booties is that they dip at just the right part of the ankle.

• Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi Jean, you look amazing here, as always. I have been following for blog for a year or so and have found really useful fashion tips and reviews. I hope it's ok for me to request a post about Holiday company party attire or just some quick advice, as they are just around the corner.

As a young professional at a prestigious firm, I will be attending my first one in a couple weeks and want to make a good impression! I have no idea what attire would be appropriate; something classy yet fun.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to your next awesome post!

• Erica Dong November 29, 2012 at 7:49 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Naomi at The Occasional Indulgence November 29, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I think you styled the boots just fine, non-truncating an all!

• lawstudent001 November 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I really like all of your looks and would personally wear everything you post, but I was wondering whether you would be interested in stepping out of your comfort zone and trying some different looks other than business casual/looks that lean on the more conservative side? It would be interest to see tips on how to make dresses that are normally a bit risque (i.e. bandage dresses) while still looking presentable and not slutty.

• Megan November 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm

What a perfect way to incorporate wintery items in a warmer climate! Definitely something I deal with every year. I am so in love with this outfit! I've been looking into getting a pair of cognac booties, but wasn't sure how they would work with tights. I think they look great with bare legs, especially on you! Now to find the perfect pair! 🙂

• Tina November 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I love those booties!! Don't hate me, but I must say I am not a fan of the blouse or the skirt. The skirt looks ill-fitted–I think if you took in the sides and made it a true mini it would work a lot better. I don't like the top because the print is too much like bedsheets or curtains. I think it would work in a more daring or fitted cut, but as is, it doesn't look like it is yours–it looks borrowed. The blazer pulls everything together very well, but in the photos of you sans blazer the first thing that came to mind is you borrowed your mom's clothes! I think that top paired with leather leggings and sexy black heels with your hair up, or with dark jeans and a black leather jacket would tone down the girly-ness and make it look more grown up and fashion-forward. I love your blog! Oh and the boiling crab is amaaaazing. In college I used to brave 2 hour lines for pound after pound of the "whole sha-bang" soaked shrimp. Divine.

• 7eventh Letter November 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Super cool booties!!!!!

7eventh Letter

• Nathyness November 30, 2012 at 2:11 am

Wow, I just stumbled upon your blog (trying out Google's blog search for "petite style") and I when I saw this first picture I thought it was a company's photo of a model wearing their stuff!

You are so beautiful, and you have impeccable taste. SO glad I found you!

-Nathy