• Casual Fall: Olive jeans, soft cashmere & scalloped lace

oliveleopard3

Seven olive legging jeans (similar available in short inseam), Gap kids lace top
    Vince cashmere cardigan (similar), Calvin Klein leopard pumps (this year’s version)
    Every so often, I like to rifle through my closet for pieces that have not been getting much love. Sometimes the lack of wear is due to seasonality, but sometimes it’s indicative of a poor purchasing decision. Such is the case with this top – I bought not one, but two very similar lace shells, neither of which were touched in the past 6 months. This is also the reason why I now try to deliberate over every purchase (whether it’s $15 or $1500), because each new item that adds little value is just unnecessary consumerism and wasted closet space. That being said, mistakes still happen, and hopefully the item(s) can just find a better home.

oliveleopard2

This sweater, on the other hand, is an old favorite found years ago while combing eBay for “100% cashmere” treasures. It was stowed away for the summer and I was thrilled to re-discover it. Each time I cuddle up in the soft and cozy material, I’m reminded of why one should not settle for itchy, pilling-prone knitwear.

oliveleopard1
    Lastly, these olive jeans were a staple last Fall, but I eventually grew tired of the too-long length bunching up at my ankles. When hemming jeans, it’s probably common knowledge to go with the “original hem,” when the tailor removes the original hem with the pressed/faded marks and re-stitches it to the shortened leg opening for a natural look. Previously, I’ve paid ~$25 to get this done in the name of saving time, but on my last visit to a nearby tailor, the price was bumped up to a whopping $36 per pair! It’s probably still worth the hours of DIY labor spared, but I stubbornly brought the jeans home to hand-hem at my leisure (translate: they will still be un-hemmed this time next year).
    oliveleopard
    If anyone is interested in a petite-friendly lace shell, I am selling this white Banana Republic Mad Men one for $30 including S&H; (U.S. address only, please). Size is XXS Petite and the fit is very small, like an H&M; size 2. For fit reference, in those review photos I am ~ 90lbs and 5 feet tall. Please leave a comment to claim if interested and contact me.

Readers – How do you decide when to part with an item, and where do you like to donate or sell your pieces?

94 thoughts on “Casual Fall: Olive jeans, soft cashmere & scalloped lace

• Anonymous October 3, 2012 at 12:54 am

Jean,

I've been following your blog for a little while now. It never ceases to amaze me how you always handle mean-spirited comments with such aplomb. Bravo!

• julzmak October 3, 2012 at 12:57 am

love to buy off you but im overseas 🙁 happy to cover shipping damn..

• Mary Ann October 3, 2012 at 1:06 am

I'd love it but I don't like I could do an XXSP….I'm closer to an H&M; 4. Oh well. The jeans look great on you!

• Anonymous October 3, 2012 at 1:10 am

I agree! Jean is so classy and composed.

Jean, that cashmere cardigan looks SO comfy. It looks so nice coordinated with the olive jeggings and cream lace.

• Emily October 3, 2012 at 1:15 am

Hey, when you take up your jeans go at them with a nail file to make them look worn, I have a tutorial on youtube on shortening jeans if you want instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3hv7CuALA

• CoastWithMe October 3, 2012 at 1:29 am

Casusal, chic, and classy! Love it Jean 🙂

• Chelsey October 3, 2012 at 1:32 am

Really pretty, chic outfit. Love the color combo

• Anonymous October 3, 2012 at 1:40 am

As always, you look great! I love the juxtaposition of different textures and the color combination is a welcome reminder that Fall is upon us. I wish you were my stylist!

• Krizia October 3, 2012 at 3:06 am

I must say, your Prada purse + cardigan really make this outfit tops!

• Sabrina October 3, 2012 at 3:13 am

Love how you wear that belt! And I always lovelovelove lace worn together with heavier knits, it's so pretty!

x
      Sabrina

• Stephanie Lam October 3, 2012 at 4:14 am

Love this look!! Those olive jeans are definitely a staple especially since they're a bit military inspired!

-Stephanie
      @LaminLouboutins.blogspot.com

• m October 3, 2012 at 6:16 am

it's too bad you're selling the top, because it looks so beautiful on you!

• Kimberly October 3, 2012 at 6:52 am

Love that you found the sweater on eBay – I shop there all the time and get the best deals! I have this same GapKids top in coral and wish I had found it in ivory, because I like the idea of transitioning lace into fall this way. Those skinnies are such a great color too!! 🙂

• Diana October 3, 2012 at 8:11 am

I'm interested in that shell…. I actually was bummed I missed it with the collection.

• Ashley October 3, 2012 at 8:34 am

I have those jeans too, mine are still unhemmed and waaay too long. I feel your pain! Why do they make them so long when they are so small?

• Sarah October 3, 2012 at 9:05 am

Love those shoes! It's fun to see an outfit featured here with pants 😉

• Ann October 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

You cut your hair? Looks great!

• Rachelle October 3, 2012 at 9:28 am

cute combo, I love the olive and lace. the animal print touch is just perfect.
      xo
      Rachelle

• NH Prep October 3, 2012 at 9:40 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• NH Prep October 3, 2012 at 9:41 am

This is adorable! That sweater looks so comfy!

I need to have all of my jeans hemmed, and Nois Dous Tailor Shop in Everett, MA does a good job sewing back the original hem for under $10 (last time I checked). I wouldn't start off with a pair of really nice jeans, because I do have one pair of jeans that came back too short, but you might like to check them out!

Love your blog,
      Michela

• Janki October 3, 2012 at 9:51 am

I know I say this each time, but your blog really has influenced what I look for in terms of fit and fashion. I have started getting into the idea of the "well curated wardrobe", where all the pieces fit and work well. Luckily I get most of my clothes thrifted so it doesn't "hurt" as much to donate items if the fit isn't good or cannot be faked well.

Why are you selling the BR top? Are you keeping the Gap one that was similar (didn't you buy a kids version of that?).

I hear you on the alteration prices. Even when I buy a Talbots blazer for only $2, I cringe at spending $30 for the sleeves… I need to get over that since ill fitting clothes don't add anything at all.

For the jeans, have you thought about looking for a seamstress who works out of her home? I had a friend who advertised on Craigslist for simple jobs like hems, etc. I used to use her a lot until she moved.

• Star White October 3, 2012 at 9:52 am

You look darling, I like how you combined pattern and texture in this post for a casual classy look!

• JM October 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

I am really enjoying the new direction of your blog. I've always thought you had great style, and I really appreciate your new emphasis on mindful consumerism and thrifted purchases. (That spirit has been noticeable over the last year I've followed your blog, but it's coming through even stronger now!) You have a big following, and I'm sure that you'll continue to influence your readers in a positive way. Cheers!

• fauxionista October 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

I decide to part with an item when I haven't worn it in years and it is still sitting in my closet unworn, even though it's a garment that I adore. At times sentiment comes into play, but I try to whittle my wardrobe down every so often.

As for donating/selling, it depends on what the item is. If it isn't one that will fetch much, I would usually donate it. There are donation bins in my neighborhood that I can easily drop off the clothes.

Also, I deliberate on my purchases, much like you do regardless of amount. 😉

For items that I do decide to sell, for convenience, I'll take it to consignment stores such as Second Time Around (love the one in Boston!). Otherwise, if it's something I intend to recoup the cost or a higher percentage than the consignment store, I offload it on eBay or Bonanza.

fauxionista.com

• simplybeccablog October 3, 2012 at 11:28 am

I love how you found your belt from Nick's dad haha :)! As for unworn items…as an uni student who just recently starting shopping carefully…my old clothes are pretty unworn, repetitive and very unloved. I just recently moved to a new apartment and decided to downsize by donating a ton of stuff I didn't want to wear anymore. Hopefully the clothes went to some good use for someone else :).

• IchigoBunnie October 3, 2012 at 12:10 pm

LOVE the scalloped shirt. and the heels are a great pop to the outfit!

• anna October 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Love the outfit. Nice neutrals.

• Law Moda October 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm

The dainty lace top with the rough leather belt looks great.

lawmoda.blogspot.com

• Anonymous October 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Is the sweater Vince? I'm 90% sure I have the exact same one from like 8 years ago. It's still a favorite!

• Always Maylee October 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love seeing you in a casual outfit with jeans. That sweater looks so cozy and comfy, definitely a great buy!

xo, Yi-chia

• mirigoround October 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I've been using youtube videos on hemming jeans (with the original hem). It is so easy… and saves so much time and money! I buy pricey jeans that were discounted on ebay and just hem them myself.

• mirigoround October 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Oh as for donating, I usually just hand my old things to a Goodwill Drop Off (they accept without inspecting things- my hope is that any rejects end up being recycled into carpets instead of taking up room in landfills). I've been lucky to have multiple Goodwill Drop Offs in SF, which I found on Yelp

• newpetite October 3, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I go though my clothes every season to see what i havent worn, what im bored of and what needs to go… and in the process find some hidden cuties 🙂

you look lovely and the sweater looks so cozy!

• Erin October 3, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I love how thoughtful you are about your purchasing decisions! This top is really pretty with the olive jeans and leopard heels. And the sweater makes it the perfect cozy fall look!

-Erin-
      OneTwoSummer

• GEMMA October 3, 2012 at 5:33 pm

OMG! You look perfect in this outfit! Love it:)

Love,Gemma

• Anonymous October 3, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Would you mind doing a post on how to take care of knitted items?

• Elf October 3, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I just discovered your blog and I couldn't be happier. I'm 5'3'' (though I somehow look shorter than you) and I'm not good at fashion choices for my height at all. It's great to see combos on a short woman like myself to see how they'd look on me. Great blog, keep up the good work!

P.S. You're gorgeous 🙂

• Susan October 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Hemming jeans and keeping the original hem is actually very easy – you just need a sewing machine! This website does a great job explaining: http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38

(and it's definitely not worth paying $36 for!!!)

• drippinjewels October 3, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Your is the ONLY blog that is informative, useful , affordable, chic, classic and updated. I wish you all the very best for every venture!

• Jane Squared October 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I just started reselling items at a startup called Twice, the profit margins are definitely lower than what you might find on e-Bay, Threadflip, or a blog sale, but it is ultra quick and convenient. You should check it out. I actually just reviewed the service here. 🙂