Honeycomb, tweed + dots (& “Oktoberfest” in New Hampshire)

newhampshire11

J.Crew honeycomb sweater (similar) & Edie bag, Ferragamo flats (similar)
Polka dot blouse and tweed skirt, both from Savers thrift store & DIY altered

Last month, the director of my group invited our small team to his cabin for a mini Oktoberfest, hiking, plus hunting. We drove 3.5 hours outside of Boston to a serene part of northern New Hampshire, where he owns a few hundred acres of land. It felt wonderful to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city for a weekend.

I wore this outfit for indoor social activities, and packed green jeans and old sneakers for the wilderness. Layers are necessary for staying comfortable in fluctuating weather, and also to shield sensitive skin from itchy sweaters. As long as my vital organs are warm and toasty, my legs can tolerate being bare up until late fall.

newhampshire10Mixing textures and adding a hint of pattern keeps a basic outfit from being too basic.

newhampshire14
The host went all out and ordered massive amounts of food from GermanDeli.com…the sausages hot off the grill, tangy sauerkraut, plus sweet and hot specialty mustards were delicious together.
newhampshire3
Liverwurst, cold cuts, and cheese also from that website. It was my first time trying liverwurst, and personally found it to be quite tasty – especially when spread on a warm pretzel roll.
newhampshireI engaged briefly in shooting practice, but lacked skill and stomach for the real thing. Instead, we ended up going on a 2 hour hike out of the host’s backyard…it sounded leisurely, thus none of the guests were prepared for the steep terrain, untamed trail, and crater-sized moose tracks. About 5 minutes in, I decided to stop expending energy on pretending like I wasn’t completely winded. I have newfound respect for those who hike such trails for fun!

newhampshire15Stein mugs that each hold 3+ beers, brought back from many trips to the real Oktoberfest in Germany.

newhampshire2

Beer unfortunately makes me bloated, so I opted for a chalice of wine.

newhampshire12
I was impressed by the kitchen prowess demonstrated by all the men on the trip. The host “prepped” his game birds then trussed them with bacon, while others baked pies from scratch and grilled up a mountain of veggies.
newhampshire4

Who can resist buttered, grilled corn? Not Nick.

newhampshire13
Fresh pies and hot apple cider to accompany Scattergories and Taboo after dinner. I caught the host seasoning our cider with cinnamon sticks and a generous pour of something.
newhampshire6
The next morning, I woke to the aroma of another boss whipping up blueberry crepes. Not one to be wasteful, I dug out grilled asparagus, mushrooms, and cheese leftover from dinner, for a savory crepe filling that the cook is now hooked on.
newhampshire7
Left: Wild boar sausage patties from a previous hunting trip. They were interesting. Right: Leftover pie just as good the next morning.

Readers – Thank you for reading these posts from my weekend getaways. In my opinion, fall is the most beautiful time in New England…I only wish I took more photos of the scenery (was probably too delirious while hiking) to share!

78 thoughts on “Honeycomb, tweed + dots (& “Oktoberfest” in New Hampshire)

• Michelle October 7, 2012 at 8:01 pm

If anything, pie is BETTER the next day after the custard filling has had time to cool down and properly set!

Sounds like a fabulous weekend. I'm super jealous! Well, not of the outdoorsiness, but of all the food, and the work-team bonding 🙂

• Musings by Di October 7, 2012 at 8:03 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Musings by Di October 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Festive! Loves it.
    Was it just u and a bunch of hombres? Ahaha cool.
    Xoxoo
    Diana

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 8:08 pm

As a university student entering my last year of studies in finance, I always find work relationships interesting. I've interned at a few companies and never saw this kind of thing between coworkers and bosses. Is this supposed to be normal in the workplace? Just wondering out of curiosity as I want to know more about workplace etiquette to better prepare myself.

I LOVE your blog, although not petite myself, it has really helped me get my business wardrobe going! I absolutely adore fashion and always worry I can't be 'fashionable' and work appropriate at the same time.

• Michelle October 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I probably should have checked out this post after I made dinner…now I am extra hungry! Loving all the food/drink pictures you captured. That chalice of wine looks amazing!! And great idea adding the leftover veggies to the crepes. 🙂

Good thing the picture of you and the gun was on the right of the dog…would have looked a little funny otherwise. :p

• Marnie Thao Nguyen October 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I really love your outfit there. Classy but not basic. 🙂
    Fall is my all times favorite season of the year. I love the crispy cool weather with a hint of romance in the air.
    Perfect for mix matching colors and pattern. 🙂

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm

That's a great question (one that has been asked a few times by interviewees) and I have to say it depends largely on the size of your team and the personalities that comprise it. I have also interned and worked at a few different environments myself, and the current one is the most congenial and "flat" structure I've been in. It's a really small team (~14 ppl) that spend a lot of time together at work, and happen to have personalities that mesh together well outside of work. However, as someone who sits on the lower half of the totem pole, I still think it's important to stay in a semi-professional mindset even when vacationing or out imbibing with colleagues.

• Kisti Belle October 7, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Love this post! Looks like so much fun 🙂

• Valery October 7, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Love your outfit- especially the mix of textures. I love fall if party because of layering and all the cute sweaters that you can pull out. I'm working at my first 'real' job so I appreciate all the inspiration you provide 🙂

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I love your blog and I love our shared passion for the Fall season! I do have one request – would you mind sharing your current hair styling routine? I couldn't help but marvel at your lovely locks (especially in the first photo)! I know you have dedicated past posts on your daily hair routine, but I was just wondering what it has been lately. Styling techniques? Products used?

Thanks so much and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

• Van Nguyen October 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Sounds like a wonderful weekend getaway. I love your outfit. And you pulled off red and green quite expertly without looking too Christmas-y.

• butterrebellion October 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm

i'm an infrequent comment-leaver, but i adore this outfit. you look fabulous!

• Jane October 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Oh my. Hunting? Glad you skipped that part.

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm

This is one of the cutest outfits I've seen on you!

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Even though you didn't participate,the hunting aspect of your trip made me very sad.
    As always, your blog is great. And your hair looked great!

• Elissa October 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm

This was such a fun post to read. You lucked out having team members that you get along with both at work and socially. This sounded like a great bonding trip for you all!

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

How did you achieve such pretty loose curl
    for your hair? So beautiful !

• Lulu October 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm

This was an incredible post to read! I love that you infuse your blog with your outside life…although my career plans don't have much in line with the corporate world, it's always very intriguing to read about your experiences. You looked like you had a wonderful time! Too bad about the hiking, though. It's a great pastime.

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Why so serious nick? You never smile in pics!

• Jekkita October 7, 2012 at 10:19 pm

cute outfit !!

• Anonymous October 7, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I kind of feel the color of the sweater doesn't fit you so well. Well, just my 2 cents.

• Suzie Q October 7, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I love the foliage during the Fall season in New England. Love the skirt and how you paired some texture and print in the top!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• newpetite October 7, 2012 at 11:10 pm

That sounds like a fun weekend! Its nice when the boss/ company makes an effort for the co-workers to bond together apart from the usual office environment as we spend more time with them than our actual spouse! I love the New England fall!

• Michelleesque October 7, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I have been an avid follower of your blog for years now and I just now decided to comment on your blog (I know…this is a terrible crime, haha). I just want to thank you for all of the amazing posts that you publish here on your blog. I've come to terms that my closet was no where near interview/work-worthy so I would always come to your blog for that extra boost of inspiration.

I love this post a lot as I can get socially awkward with coworkers. I keep thinking to myself that coworkers will always be coworkers and nothing more, but after reading this I realized that it's a relationship that gets built over time (without crossing the line of professionalism, of course).

Thanks Jean for another +1 inspirational post!

• Rina October 7, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Hello and thank you from japan! I was about to prepare brunch when I read your post, and all of a sudden I'm as starved as a beast: )
    All those juicy meat and baked goodies are not easy to find here, so for now I'll feast on your photos.

I know that hundreds of people have already informed you, but you are a great inspiration, and probably not only to petite women! Here in Japan, I would probably not be categorized an extra petite, besides clothes on the market is waaay smaller than in the states, and still I have fitting issues. Your blog educates me to have keen eyes on every aspect of fashion items: the fit, design, durability, price, etc.
    I am your junior by two years and I sure hope that at your age, I would have the matureness you show us.

Thank you again for the effort and care you put into your blog!
    Please know that your fans are all over the world 😉

• Helen Lena Chap October 8, 2012 at 12:08 am

I love this outfit! perfect for fall in California!

• Kimberly Cooper October 8, 2012 at 12:32 am

Great outfit! I am seriously in love with the JCrew Edie bag, but I've committed to not buying leather. If you see a non leather version, or vintage one in camel/brown, let me know 🙂

vegfitrn.blogspot.com

• Angogh's aunt October 8, 2012 at 12:53 am

I hope you don't get mad Jean but I think your boyfriend is so so cute!!

• Carla Krae October 8, 2012 at 2:51 am

Looks like fun! Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.

• Milna October 8, 2012 at 3:42 am

Nice autumn look!
    Love to read Your blog, keep it coming!

Kisses from Bosnia!
    milna89.blogspot.com

• Tiffany October 8, 2012 at 8:33 am

Those Hofbrauhaus steins are the size of my head. When my husband and I were in Munich, we sat at a table with a bunch of German college kids, all of whom insisted we drink at least three of those steins. I don't think it's physically possible to do that.

Love NH in the Fall. I spend a lot of time in North Conway this time of year. Beautiful! Looks like you had a great time 🙂

• Bára Rektorová October 8, 2012 at 8:57 am

Fun reading and great outfit. Thank you!

• Anonymous October 8, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hi Jean! I love your blog! This is my first time commenting bc I'm wondering what you recommend girls wear when they're just hanging out at home with their significant others. I usually just wear ill-fitting old clothes (i.e. "home clothes") but I'm really wondering how I can step it up on the fashion notch while still being practical & able to do dishes/clean etc. (Is it possible to be fashionable at home?) Would love to get your thoughts or see a post. 🙂

Thanks! Kaye

• Rachelle October 8, 2012 at 9:54 am

This post is amazing, and I love your blog. It's great to have such good relationships with co-workers.
    xo
    Rachelle

• lisacng @ expandng.com October 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

You looked adorable! Perfect for the setting with coworkers. Wow, a few HUNDRED acres of land?! Dang! And how cute were you yielding a shot gun with that cute outfit. Ha! Glad you had a good time!

• Always Maylee October 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I love what you wore, it's casual yet still professional since you were with coworkers. So glad you had a great time! 🙂

xo, Yi-chia

• Janki October 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

What a fun and cute post! It's great that you are working at a place that encourages this type of coworker connection. You inadvertantly brought up a good point that I am finding a lot in my career: these team building/bonding experiences that tend to be guy oriented (for me, it's golf, but I once had to pass on skeet shooting since I am clueless too).

I'm also very happy to see that the men didn't get pass the kitchen duties to the "ladies" of the group. I make a conscious effort not to be the default note taker at meetings or the coffee/sandwich orderer. I may seem unhelpful but it's one of those small tasks that when a woman does it seems administrative but when a guy does it, no one notices or cares.
    As you are moving in your career, are you finding that happening?

Cute outfit. I FINALLY signed up for a crash course in sewing and will be signing up for their fit/fashion class and hemming course too. Your blog inspired me this weekend as I went thrifting. I passed on the usual oversized fashion tshirts and picked up a cream tweed jacket and a nice stripped blouse.

• Eva Wu October 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm

i love this post. you look great!
    pozdrawiam
    ewa

• ♥ Natalie October 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Great sweater (:

♥♥♥

• Emily October 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Looks like such a fun weekend. Your outfit in my opinion is THE perfect autumn outfit.

creamyclothes.blogspot.com

• Jessy | The Little Dust Princess October 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Too cute for words! I love this green for fall. Looks like you had a great time with lots of yummy food that weekend. : )

• phiphis blog October 8, 2012 at 4:00 pm

what a great post – i'm glad you had a wonderful weekend and that you got to enjoy good food and good company.

the outfit you wore is perfect for this occasion – feminine but so appropriate for the environment! *and you look like a pro in your shooting lesson picture!*

phiphi's blog

• Anonymous October 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm

That's so nice that you get along so well with your coworkers enough to hang out with them on the weekend. What do you do/what field are you in?

• Anonymous October 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Thank you for the response! That sounds like a great work environment to be in, I'm really hoping for a similar situation. Definitely makes work a lot more fun!

• Anonymous October 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Hello!

Since we're getting into the winter weather, I was wondering what do you wear to commute to work in the cold, slushy mix of winter when flats are not the best option for the most part?

• jules October 8, 2012 at 9:44 pm

your outfit is super cute but it was the enormous wine chalice that really caught my eye!

xo julesinflats.com

• Jennifer Tsui October 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I love the guy's outfit! (Is that Nick?) I always worry about pairing green and red because it might look too christmas-y. I'm going to try this out on my boyfriend!

• Ameenah A. October 9, 2012 at 7:22 am

Lovely post! You have such an elegant and chic style – I love the Ferragamo flats! That food looks lovely too!

beauty-and-the-best.blogspot.co.uk

• Carla Krae October 9, 2012 at 10:59 am

It's finally cooling off in SoCal, so I expect the boyfriend's pork and kraut in the crock pot soon. He's German and Irish in descent, so food with beer is a mainstay. We're expecting rain this week for the first time in months! I'm so sick of 80+ degrees.

• Anonymous October 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hi! I stumbled on your blog in Pinterest. I'm a fellow petite. Just under 5 feet, 95lbs and size 3 feet. Yep, the shoes are a killer…there are very few choices and whenever I find a pair I just grab it.

Love your blog, thanks for sharing.

• Jackie October 9, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Mmmmm!! Look at all that food! 😀

• CamMi Pham October 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm

you look adorable 🙂
    Cammi @ Cammilicious.com

• DSK Steph October 9, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Love this post!

• Emily Kim October 10, 2012 at 1:38 am

Hey someone's selling the sweater you're wearing in a mustard color on ebay

=) after seeing this post I immediately went to Goodwill and found a wool skirt. I hemmed it myself, and the total came out to $2.50! I'm very excited to wear it this winter.

• eveange66 October 10, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hello,

Nice to see you enjoyed your time. I am trying to contact you as I just launched my blog today and.. I am lost and would need some pieces of advice. As I just do not know how to contact you well I have to use this comment area to do. Apologies in advance and MIA for your help.
    Regards.

• Lisa Price October 10, 2012 at 7:09 pm

this post is so beautiful. i love how it excites me for fall! your blog is really amazing & i read every post. lets collaborate if you're interested. xo.

• Anonymous October 11, 2012 at 12:18 am

Jean : Two questions: did your shoulder hurt after shooting this big gun? Looks like form western movies! And I always wanted to ask you about alterations on that blouse and other things you do like dresses. Do you cut out the material that is left sewn inside sleeves/torso or do you leave it in? Do you always cut it out or how to decided? If you cut it out, do you use some sort of overlock stitch on edges?

• Lloyd Lim @StyleHills October 11, 2012 at 1:47 am

Ahhh… fall is in the air.

– L

• Anonymous October 11, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Looking elegant as always! Love the green hue of your jumper for Fall, it's so on trend this season.

• Anonymous October 11, 2012 at 6:51 pm

hi jean,

i read in your earlier post that you quit you job. how long did you stay in your old job before you decided to make the jump. i've been doing finance for 5 years and i always thought about jumping to a new company but i am afraid that i would be good enough in the new company. any advice would help.

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:39 am

Thank you for your compliment! I am still using the same routine of just sleeping with my hair (almost dried, but not completely) in a bun at the nape of my neck and hoping that it comes out wavy the next day. I don't use any products and don't do anything the next day, but the downside is it's hit or miss (sometimes it just ends up as very messy bedhead).

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:39 am

Sleep in a loose bun when hair is almost dry but not completely : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:42 am

Thanks so much for your comment, Michelle. I understand a lot of your sentiment here, and to be honest, there will always be coworkers that will be nothing more than just coworkers. I feel lucky to have found a few good friends from the workplace, but understand that is usually (or often) not the case. I wish you the best of luck in finding the right balance between being able to "be yourself" in front of colleagues while maintaining professionalism : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:42 am

Thanks so much, Rina! Take care on the other side of the world!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:43 am

The Steins have a name? I had no idea! Love your anecdote : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:46 am

Hi Kaye – it's great that you want to be fashionable for your significant other at home, but I just love over-sized, fuzzy comfort clothes when lounging around at home! And I think every loving significant other likes those kind of clothes too. I'm using in fuzzy socks and PJs, but if you want to look more put together, I could suggest comfortable tee dresses (C&C; and splendid make soft ones) or chunky knit cardigans over dark denim.

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:49 am

Hi Janki, I see your point and agree that too often, women naturally 'fall' into the role of administrative tasks and it ends up sealing their image. I notice a different attitude in general at more male-dominated environments (like when I work with teams from other offices) and am fortunate it's not something I face on a daily basis in my own team. at some places, women do have to work 2x or more as hard to be recognized equally, and I applaud those who forage their way to the top. Have fun at sewing!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:50 am

I work in financial services : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:50 am

Usually black mid-calf rain boots…those things are rain/slush/snow proof!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:51 am

Awesome! Hemming thrifted skirts is so easy and such a great way to recycle high quality skirts from the past : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:53 am

Hi there – 1) I'm guessing you are joking because this was a tiny gun but no, no shoulder pain ; ) 2) It depends on how much fabric was taken in and how delicate the fabric is. If it's just a little fabric, or if the material seems like it might unravel if I cut it and leave raw edges hanging, then I don't trim it. If it's a lot of material, I do trim it and do a zig zag stitch on the edges. I have a serger machine to do a proper overlock but never use it because it's so tedious to thread and get the right color thread.

• PetiteAsianGirl October 12, 2012 at 12:56 am

Hi there – I stayed for 3.5 years and needed a change badly. This may sound trite, but life is too short to not take chances and push yourself! I think settling for something you're not perfectly happy or content with is the worst thing one can do. The worst that can happen is you don't like it at the new place is you can move on (and if you're not "good enough" there you can try harder and self-teach, take courses, ask for help, etc), but if you don't give yourself the chance then you'll never know. Best of luck in whatever you decide to pursue!

• Anonymous October 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm

thanks for your reply jean :), was the job you left the first job you took on after school? As soon as I graduated from college i stayed with the same company for 5 years and well i guess i am seconding guessing myself. Should people our age spend 2-3 years and jump around or is that a bad idea?

• Lexi October 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I absolutely love that honeycomb sweater!
    ♡ Lexi @ Glitter, Inc.

• Anonymous October 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

I'm very happy for you . Not everyone have what you have at work

• Anonymous October 17, 2012 at 10:29 am

I'm very happy for you . Not everyone have what you have at work

• emily October 29, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I really like your blog. As a fellow petite it is really nice to hear from someone else who has trouble finding clothes that are small enough and short enough. I really like your honeycomb sweater too!

-Emily

• Felicia December 9, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Love the blog! What size are the Ferragamos you are wearing? I've heard they go down to a size 5?