Silk floral print dress 2 ways – for work and for a wedding

ellayellow

Before purchasing this dress on final sale, I had some doubts. Strapless pieces are historically not the most comfortable nor versatile items in my closet, but I was convinced to get my worth of wears out of this one. I wore it to work paired with a slim blazer and waist-accenting belt, and a simple necklace plus neutral pumps. If you never take your blazer off at work, you can even wear a non-strapless bra for full comfort throughout the day.
ellayellow1

Nordstrom rack faux-pearls (similar), H&M; neon heels (from last season)

For a party or special occasion, I would let the simple yet elegant silhouette shine, and just add some strappy heels and a necklace to fill in bare chest space. A neutral or cognac brown sandal would work fine, but I loved how these bright ones brought out the neon in the print. I look forward to wearing this outfit to a hot-weathered wedding later on.
ellayellow5

ellayellow2
ellayellow3
For almost every purchase I make these days, I have grown accustomed to making tiny tweaks at home in order to perfect the look. The dress, blazer, and shoes in this post all worked fine without alterations, but each underwent some adjustments that (in my opinion) really elevated the look or perfected the fit. I hope to share some behind-the-scenes photos for this post soon.

96 thoughts on “Silk floral print dress 2 ways – for work and for a wedding

• Petite-ish July 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

You look gorgeous in this summery look!

• ๑۩ﺴ PINKtistic ﺴ۩๑ July 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

The dress looks great with the blazer!!

pinktistic.blogspot.com

• Carlita Petita July 24, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I love the lighting you used. The first picture is stunning.
    bohoclassicrock.blogpost.ca

• Natasha Fatah July 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I love how you styled up this dress. Prefer the work look myself, but they are both great.

~Natasha Fatah~
    ~Natasha Fatah~

• Anonymous July 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm

so beautiful!

• Ella Pretty Blog July 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm

You look so beautiful in both versions! I really love this as a special occasion dress – and I would never have thought of getting my money's worth by making it work attire as well – 2 very amazing looks – I love it 🙂

• Amy July 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Can't wait to see what adjustments you made. I also love that blazer. I have a feeling if I had seen it in the store I would have passed over it, but once I see it on you I want it for myself!

veryamy.com

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 12:01 am

I have this dress and I absolutely love it!! I am also very short (5 foot exactly.) The Ella dress from J Crew is my favorite cute and I think I have it in every pattern that J Crew has made it in. I suggest not wearing a bra at all with the dress.

• Jules-A-La-Mode July 25, 2012 at 12:09 am

I love the combination of colors on this dress. It's perfect for day to night! I love the neon yellow heels you paired with it!

• Emily July 25, 2012 at 12:18 am

Very beautiful dress, love it both ways!

• jenn~the stylish housewife July 25, 2012 at 12:20 am

GORGEOUS! i really love it with the blazer and belt! great print!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Ping July 25, 2012 at 12:22 am

jean, you look so good in both outfits. i'm normally not a fan of that yellow, but you look amazing in it. i like the blazer without the ruching.

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 12:23 am

I love your makeup and lighting in the first picture – what lipstick do you have on?

• Julia Yan July 25, 2012 at 12:25 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Jen July 25, 2012 at 12:26 am

Gorgeous dress and the way you put it all together is beautiful!

• Julia Yan July 25, 2012 at 12:29 am

You look gorgeous!! I loveeee your yellow blazer!

I have this dress too and I just wore that to my aunt's wedding. I matched that with a yellow necklace and silver heels (got a pic on my blog if you're curious =p), but I really like your pearl + yellow heels combination! I've been very tempted to wear that to work but unfortunately my company is more on the conservative side…

• Eva Wu July 25, 2012 at 12:32 am

beautiful. i love the jacket!

• LAURA July 25, 2012 at 12:34 am

i WISH i could wear that to work hah!! great dress…im lovin florals right now!

Laura x

demure-porcelain.blogspot.com

• Rites of Beauty July 25, 2012 at 1:03 am

I'm certainly not brave enough to wear a strapless dress to work (nor do I think I could get away with it)! Both looks are lovely and I'm glad to see those neon shoes again!

• Unknown July 25, 2012 at 1:29 am

You look gorgeous with your hair so effortlessly curled/waved!!! BTW love that you make your own little tweaks!!! Maybe next you'll do a whole look from scratch? Jean the designer!! lol 😀

• Katie July 25, 2012 at 2:55 am

i'm impressed with those neon heels! i never usually look at h&m; footwear, but now i will 🙂

katie x

• Monica Gava July 25, 2012 at 3:10 am

I love the jacket! Just got one last weekend at HM. I will post it soon at Fashion Koketi ( http://fashionkoketi.blogspot.com/).

Thanks for all the inspiration!

• AubreyOhDang! July 25, 2012 at 4:27 am

damn girl, i hope my medallion ella dress will get this much wear. I hope to be inspired by this post for my upcoming wedding plans.

• Mady July 25, 2012 at 5:00 am

love the dress! the pattern is amazing! with the blazer on emphasis more the dress…

xoxo
    Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com

• nikolia July 25, 2012 at 5:11 am

nice and stylish look!love the dress!
    хх

• Lejla July 25, 2012 at 6:01 am

Love it! The dress is so versatile it's great 🙂

• Tiffany July 25, 2012 at 7:47 am

Beautiful and elegant. Love your blog!

• Suzie Q July 25, 2012 at 8:22 am

Love this look. It's a beautiful floral dress, and the yellow blazer and strappy heels really add to the outfit! Can't wait to see the behind-the-scene post!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• TaraMixandMatch July 25, 2012 at 8:42 am

This dress is so great and truly works both ways! You are gorgeous!

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) July 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

So pretty! I'm trying to get as much use out of my clothes as well wearing them to work and on weekends. Luckily I work in a more casual environment anyway. Your new job seems to allow you to be more creative and wear more colourful things!

• Samantha July 25, 2012 at 9:15 am

How did you learn to do your own alterations? I'd love to not have to pay for someone to hem pants that are always too long, etc.

• stylewithoutstyle July 25, 2012 at 9:28 am

Amazing 🙂

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 9:33 am

What size are you wearing?

• mochiandmacarons July 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

I'd love to wear strapless dresses, but they NEVER. EVER. work out for me. Even with a strapped bra, they manage to slide down because my lack of a bust.

It looks fab on you!

• mochiandmacarons July 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

You know, if you want to hem your pants (straight hem, nothing fancy), you can buy this kind of no-sew fusing tape, which is like dried glue strands in a ribbon. You cut the length of the no-sew tape to your pants to be hemmed, and iron with a lot of steam.

I never take my pants in for simple hems, only for major alterations, it's saved me a ton of $$$$

• ♥ Cassandra (Backtofive) July 25, 2012 at 9:55 am

Amazing prints of the dress! I really like the blazer too! 😀

backtofive.blogspot.com
    backtofive.blogspot.com
    backtofive's twitter

xoxo backtofive

• Always Maylee July 25, 2012 at 10:14 am

What a gorgeous dress, I love the colors. You look beautiful. Love the yellow blazer.

xo, Yi-chia

• this is lemonade July 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

Simply stunning! The colours are so beautiful I'm sure you'd be cheering up the whole office if you are wearing that lovely set to work! 🙂

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 11:15 am

gorgeous photography! you look fab, too!

Stella

• theglitterlife July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

LOVE the floral/pearls!

Check out our latest blog, The Glitter Life: http://theglitterlife.wordpress.com/!

• Joanna Le July 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm

The print and colours of your dress are absolutely gorgeous! These posts just remind me of how disappointing the CDN price of J. Crew is, :(.

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I agree with you Jean I always try to avoid strapless also. In recent posts I notice you get a lot more brave and adventorous with colors and prints! 🙂

Jean if you don't mind me asking what's your monthly budget for clothings and shoes and accessories? Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be nosey or judging you. I just know you work in the finance field and probably are pretty concious about your money while maintaining your style! So I want to know if you have any advice to give. I would, of course, like to add new pieces to my wardrobe every month but the fact is, I normally go 3-4 months without getting anything. I know other girls also have to consider money for make up or hair, etc and they add up quick! Maybe you can considering write a post about that? Thanks!

• The Petite Edition July 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Wonderful summer ensembles and great way to showcase the dress! I've had my eye on those Theory blazers for some time; but, I had no idea H&M; had a similar (presumably cheaper) version!

• newpetite July 25, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Looks gorgeous with and without that blazer!

• Janki July 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I like how you are looking to add versatility to all your pieces– it helps us stretch our dollar, buy more quality pieces (for more wear), and cough up the money to get our pieces altered perfectly. In one of your earliest posts you talk about wanting to add more accessories to your look. I like how you are helping us see how a few key pieces (chunky necklace, pop of color belt) can bring the look together. And, your look is elegant but isn't trying too hard.
    It's easy for us to just stick with basic black/grey suiting for work. I may try to add some color or work in a dress too. Great job. When you have "time", would love to see the DIY on those H&M; shoes.

• Alice July 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm

That dress is absolutely gorgeous!
    The flowers are so vivid and bright. I feel a little happier just looking at them 🙂
    I was just at J. Crew the other day but unfortunately didn't see this dress. If I had, I don't think I would have been able to resist buying it!

I love the outfits you created with this dress Jean!
    The yellow blazer you used really complements the the vibrancy of the dress but the nude heels and belt definitely tone things down a little. This outfit would be absolutely perfect for a formal occasion (like work) during the spring or summer. I'm sure it would also be a nice change from the usual boring pantsuits and whatnot found in offices 🙂

As for that outfit you created for parties, I am in awe.
    Those highlighter yellow heels are amazing. I must have them! They look so funky and happy next to the dress. Everything about your outfit makes me want to jump up and dance like a lunatic but I shall spare my poor felow humans of that awful sight. Hahahaha.

All in all, I must say that this dress definitely works for you.
    You made two amazing outfits out of it that I definitely need to draw inspiration/learn from.

You are too amazing Jean.

~Alice

P.S. Hold up. That dress has pockets?
    Okay then. Time to go hunt it down….

• Michele July 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Love those neon heels! What's your nail polish called?

• Dianna, The Budget Babe July 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Um. Gorgeous!!!

• Kat July 25, 2012 at 5:56 pm

This is a great post. I'm actually looking for something to wear both to work… and of course… to a wedding 🙂 Saw this outfit on you on Instagram! Loved it then too!

kat
    aneyeforfashion.blogspot.com

• Princess Martha July 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Those shoes are the perfect choice!!!
    XOXO

• The Little Dust Princess July 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I like the yellow blazer with this dress. : ) The sleeves on that blazer look good! Is the length too short or just right after you removed the ruching? I hope you make a post about that soon! I have similar blazer from H&M; (black) that I'd like to un-ruch as well.

• lin July 25, 2012 at 8:02 pm

you look great in that dress. i love everything about the outfits. the colors, the springy-ness of the dress, your neon heels. the blazer looks so much better without the ruching. i like how you can switch up the dress for work and for parties. this inspires me to try wearing prints for work.

• jc July 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Gorgeous!

• Kathy | Elevated Style July 25, 2012 at 8:39 pm

The dress looks like it fits you perfectly! I love the look for parties! You will certainly stand out in that dress!

• dietingfashions July 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Very cute dress! I think the dress will get lots of wears. It's a flirty number for parties but can be dressed for work by adding simple pieces.

Helen

• casper+pearl July 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm

gorgeous dress!

lots of love from the c&p; girls,
    xx

• octoberchic.com July 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Beautiful! I love it.

octoberchic.com

• SewPetiteGal July 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Firstly, Jean in the "wild" = love! Such a pretty backdrop! Secondly, would have never thought to pair with neon yellow, but you make it work so effortlessly. Thirdly, loving how you're doing a work vs. play option for each featured garment – very helpful!

• Joy July 25, 2012 at 10:56 pm

This is a perfect summer outfit. I wish people at my office liked dressing up like you, so I wouldn't feel out of place if I wear a skirt or dress.
    Oh & I see that your dress has pockets. yay!

• Jackie July 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Very summery! Looks good!

• Sora July 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm

You look especially gorgeous in the "For Parties" pic. And the neon shoes complete the look for this summer.

• Olyvia July 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I love the yellow blazer! I need to hit H&M; to see if they still have that in store 🙂

• Sunnymeliss July 26, 2012 at 12:29 am

I never thought of wearing a dress dress to work, but it works so well with a blazer!

• Kelly Yeh July 26, 2012 at 2:49 am

love the floral dress and yellow blazer! def. following =)

<3 Kelly
    SavvySelections.blogspot.com

• Tien / TstyledMe July 26, 2012 at 7:25 am

I really like your work look in this post – it's great to see colour in the office and it encourages others to dress up too!

Tien xo

• myhanh July 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Jean, you are glowing in that first photo!

• Cassidy Short July 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm

that yellow blazer is amazing!!

xoxo
    Cassidy

• jeweliette23.com July 26, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I've become accustomed to buying tops and dresses that will be versatile for work and other occasions. Get more bang for your buck!

• louis July 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Love this with the yellow blazer! You look fantastic!!

• phiphis blog July 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I love the choices you present for day and night. The dress is amazing on you and I love how you played up the yellows in the dress. Xox P

• Mary Ann July 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I think I forgot to write earlier that I love this dress – so glad you're keeping it! 😉

• My Dressy Ways July 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

I love this dress on you! I avoid strapless and tube tops and dresses because I just don' think they're very flattering. Plus, I hate having to adjust constantly throughout the day! I've found a few styles that have additions to them like rubber to help hold it up and a built in shelf for added support help too.

• Anonymous July 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I love this jacket especially in yellow, everything you wear with looks better. I bought the black one also. But I prefer it with the original sleeves

• Ira Kharchenko July 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm

The dress is awesome! I love it:)

• kerker July 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm

i love your floral dress!! sooo pretty!!

• Anna D Kart July 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

Love that dress unfortunately it was too expensive at the time…
    You make it work well!

happymedley.blogspot.com

• Miss Sultana July 28, 2012 at 11:42 pm

i love this! you have amazing style. cute blog girl 🙂

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thank you! It's a very old one that I should probably throw away but I love it too much…Clinique soft bloom soft shine (discontinued)

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Thank you! My prom dresses were all made from scratch and I think they were a sign that my future does not lie in fashion design ; )

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I took a class when I was a young teen…I'd recommend a beginners class to anyone seriously interested in learning.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Hi there – I have a post in the workings after my last monthly spending post http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/05/spring-wardrobe-shopping-spending.html but as a monthly rate, that is deceptively low because I usually a few planned bag or shoe splurges each year.

I don't have a monthly budget but I do keep an annual cap at 10% of post tax, post retirement contribution income.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Janki! You've been such a longtime reader…I remember setting that as a goal in Jan 2011, and since then, a few specific accessories have certainly popped out as worthy, versatile purchases.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thank you, Alice! Yes it has pockets and is surprisingly versatile…worth the shipping price in my opinion, for a $24 dress.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Thanks! This was mixed at a local salon, but the one I usually get that is super similar in color is Essie Turquoise and Caicos : )

• Closet Full of Nothing July 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I love how versatile this dress is. It looks amazing with the yellow jacket!
    xo,
    Carolina

• VieLondon July 31, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Love this blazer on you, such a great piece for summer! Elegant styling as always <3

• Riani Irawan August 2, 2012 at 2:17 am

I love the way your hair looks at the first picture.

• lisacng August 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Love the dress with those neon sandals

• itisjustme K August 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I love how you style the dress with the yellow blazer, which I love, but I can't seem to find it anywhere 🙁 Anyways, I adore your blog and look forward to your posts.

• Anonymous August 10, 2012 at 12:44 am

Haha, I know that feeling too! : ) Do you happen to remember what shade you have on, it's really pretty.

• what.jess.wore August 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Love this outfit particularly the work version with the delicate necklace. 🙂 It's so cheery.

• Anonymous August 15, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I love this dress and blazer! Looks so stylish. Is this an HM blazer from new collection? I saw a yellow one in the store, but it had gathered seams along the sleeves.. It looks like you have regular sleeves – did you alter your blazer or it is just a different model? thank you!

• Anonymous September 11, 2012 at 2:27 am

Dang, I wish I went to parties classy enough where an outfit like that wouldn't look horribly out of place! Really dig the peals an neon pumps, it's an interesting combination of trendy and classic styles- that's something that can be tricky to pull off, so nice job there!

• hermes bag outlet December 4, 2012 at 1:36 am

The discount swiss rolex enhance a woman's style quotient and their pricing comfortably fits into the catier jewellery budget. They being so low priced, people tend to buy more than one mens jackets
    at a given time. With the hoped for designer miu miu hobo bags being available at such an easy price no coco chanel online one can actually stay away from them. Therefore, if you are contemplating about whether to purchase hermes bag outlet or not, then you should go for them without any delay and buy handbags at will. With the availability of varied color and sassy designer louis vuitton wallets and that too at a cheap price, women can get the omega speedmaster watches according to their preference without any issues related to price.

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 6:51 pm

It’s amazing in favor of me to have a website, which is valuable in support
    of my knowledge. thanks admin

My web page … article-club.info

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Your method of explaining the whole thing in this post
    is in fact pleasant, every one be capable of effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks a
    lot.

Look into my site :: website