Silk floral print dress 2 ways – for work and for a wedding

Before purchasing this dress on final sale, I had some doubts. Strapless pieces are historically not the most comfortable nor versatile items in my closet, but I was convinced to get my worth of wears out of this one. I wore it to work paired with a slim blazer and waist-accenting belt, and a simple necklace plus neutral pumps. If you never take your blazer off at work, you can even wear a non-strapless bra for full comfort throughout the day.

Nordstrom rack faux-pearls (similar), H&M; neon heels (from last season)

For a party or special occasion, I would let the simple yet elegant silhouette shine, and just add some strappy heels and a necklace to fill in bare chest space. A neutral or cognac brown sandal would work fine, but I loved how these bright ones brought out the neon in the print. I look forward to wearing this outfit to a hot-weathered wedding later on.

For almost every purchase I make these days, I have grown accustomed to making tiny tweaks at home in order to perfect the look. The dress, blazer, and shoes in this post all worked fine without alterations, but each underwent some adjustments that (in my opinion) really elevated the look or perfected the fit. I hope to share some behind-the-scenes photos for this post soon.

96 thoughts on “Silk floral print dress 2 ways – for work and for a wedding

• Petite-ish July 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

You look gorgeous in this summery look!

• ๑۩ﺴ PINKtistic ﺴ۩๑ July 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

The dress looks great with the blazer!!

• Carlita Petita July 24, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I love the lighting you used. The first picture is stunning.

• Natasha Fatah July 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I love how you styled up this dress. Prefer the work look myself, but they are both great.

~Natasha Fatah~
    ~Natasha Fatah~

• Anonymous July 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm

so beautiful!

• Ella Pretty Blog July 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm

You look so beautiful in both versions! I really love this as a special occasion dress – and I would never have thought of getting my money's worth by making it work attire as well – 2 very amazing looks – I love it 🙂

• Amy July 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Can't wait to see what adjustments you made. I also love that blazer. I have a feeling if I had seen it in the store I would have passed over it, but once I see it on you I want it for myself!

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 12:01 am

I have this dress and I absolutely love it!! I am also very short (5 foot exactly.) The Ella dress from J Crew is my favorite cute and I think I have it in every pattern that J Crew has made it in. I suggest not wearing a bra at all with the dress.

• Jules-A-La-Mode July 25, 2012 at 12:09 am

I love the combination of colors on this dress. It's perfect for day to night! I love the neon yellow heels you paired with it!

• Emily July 25, 2012 at 12:18 am

Very beautiful dress, love it both ways!

• jenn~the stylish housewife July 25, 2012 at 12:20 am

GORGEOUS! i really love it with the blazer and belt! great print!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Ping July 25, 2012 at 12:22 am

jean, you look so good in both outfits. i'm normally not a fan of that yellow, but you look amazing in it. i like the blazer without the ruching.

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 12:23 am

I love your makeup and lighting in the first picture – what lipstick do you have on?

• Julia Yan July 25, 2012 at 12:25 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Jen July 25, 2012 at 12:26 am

Gorgeous dress and the way you put it all together is beautiful!

• Julia Yan July 25, 2012 at 12:29 am

You look gorgeous!! I loveeee your yellow blazer!

I have this dress too and I just wore that to my aunt's wedding. I matched that with a yellow necklace and silver heels (got a pic on my blog if you're curious =p), but I really like your pearl + yellow heels combination! I've been very tempted to wear that to work but unfortunately my company is more on the conservative side…

• Eva Wu July 25, 2012 at 12:32 am

beautiful. i love the jacket!

• LAURA July 25, 2012 at 12:34 am

i WISH i could wear that to work hah!! great dress…im lovin florals right now!

Laura x

• Rites of Beauty July 25, 2012 at 1:03 am

I'm certainly not brave enough to wear a strapless dress to work (nor do I think I could get away with it)! Both looks are lovely and I'm glad to see those neon shoes again!

• Unknown July 25, 2012 at 1:29 am

You look gorgeous with your hair so effortlessly curled/waved!!! BTW love that you make your own little tweaks!!! Maybe next you'll do a whole look from scratch? Jean the designer!! lol 😀

• Katie July 25, 2012 at 2:55 am

i'm impressed with those neon heels! i never usually look at h&m; footwear, but now i will 🙂

katie x

• Monica Gava July 25, 2012 at 3:10 am

I love the jacket! Just got one last weekend at HM. I will post it soon at Fashion Koketi (

Thanks for all the inspiration!

• AubreyOhDang! July 25, 2012 at 4:27 am

damn girl, i hope my medallion ella dress will get this much wear. I hope to be inspired by this post for my upcoming wedding plans.

• Mady July 25, 2012 at 5:00 am

love the dress! the pattern is amazing! with the blazer on emphasis more the dress…

• nikolia July 25, 2012 at 5:11 am

nice and stylish look!love the dress!

• Lejla July 25, 2012 at 6:01 am

Love it! The dress is so versatile it's great 🙂

• Tiffany July 25, 2012 at 7:47 am

Beautiful and elegant. Love your blog!

• Suzie Q July 25, 2012 at 8:22 am

Love this look. It's a beautiful floral dress, and the yellow blazer and strappy heels really add to the outfit! Can't wait to see the behind-the-scene post!

Suzie Q

• TaraMixandMatch July 25, 2012 at 8:42 am

This dress is so great and truly works both ways! You are gorgeous!

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) July 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

So pretty! I'm trying to get as much use out of my clothes as well wearing them to work and on weekends. Luckily I work in a more casual environment anyway. Your new job seems to allow you to be more creative and wear more colourful things!

• Samantha July 25, 2012 at 9:15 am

How did you learn to do your own alterations? I'd love to not have to pay for someone to hem pants that are always too long, etc.

• stylewithoutstyle July 25, 2012 at 9:28 am

Amazing 🙂

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 9:33 am

What size are you wearing?

• mochiandmacarons July 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

I'd love to wear strapless dresses, but they NEVER. EVER. work out for me. Even with a strapped bra, they manage to slide down because my lack of a bust.

It looks fab on you!

• mochiandmacarons July 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

You know, if you want to hem your pants (straight hem, nothing fancy), you can buy this kind of no-sew fusing tape, which is like dried glue strands in a ribbon. You cut the length of the no-sew tape to your pants to be hemmed, and iron with a lot of steam.

I never take my pants in for simple hems, only for major alterations, it's saved me a ton of $$$$

• ♥ Cassandra (Backtofive) July 25, 2012 at 9:55 am

Amazing prints of the dress! I really like the blazer too! 😀
    backtofive's twitter

xoxo backtofive

• Always Maylee July 25, 2012 at 10:14 am

What a gorgeous dress, I love the colors. You look beautiful. Love the yellow blazer.

xo, Yi-chia

• this is lemonade July 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

Simply stunning! The colours are so beautiful I'm sure you'd be cheering up the whole office if you are wearing that lovely set to work! 🙂

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 11:15 am

gorgeous photography! you look fab, too!

• theglitterlife July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

LOVE the floral/pearls!

Check out our latest blog, The Glitter Life:!

• Joanna Le July 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm

The print and colours of your dress are absolutely gorgeous! These posts just remind me of how disappointing the CDN price of J. Crew is, :(.

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I agree with you Jean I always try to avoid strapless also. In recent posts I notice you get a lot more brave and adventorous with colors and prints! 🙂

Jean if you don't mind me asking what's your monthly budget for clothings and shoes and accessories? Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be nosey or judging you. I just know you work in the finance field and probably are pretty concious about your money while maintaining your style! So I want to know if you have any advice to give. I would, of course, like to add new pieces to my wardrobe every month but the fact is, I normally go 3-4 months without getting anything. I know other girls also have to consider money for make up or hair, etc and they add up quick! Maybe you can considering write a post about that? Thanks!

• The Petite Edition July 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Wonderful summer ensembles and great way to showcase the dress! I've had my eye on those Theory blazers for some time; but, I had no idea H&M; had a similar (presumably cheaper) version!

• newpetite July 25, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Looks gorgeous with and without that blazer!

• Janki July 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I like how you are looking to add versatility to all your pieces– it helps us stretch our dollar, buy more quality pieces (for more wear), and cough up the money to get our pieces altered perfectly. In one of your earliest posts you talk about wanting to add more accessories to your look. I like how you are helping us see how a few key pieces (chunky necklace, pop of color belt) can bring the look together. And, your look is elegant but isn't trying too hard.
    It's easy for us to just stick with basic black/grey suiting for work. I may try to add some color or work in a dress too. Great job. When you have "time", would love to see the DIY on those H&M; shoes.

• Alice July 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm

That dress is absolutely gorgeous!
    The flowers are so vivid and bright. I feel a little happier just looking at them 🙂
    I was just at J. Crew the other day but unfortunately didn't see this dress. If I had, I don't think I would have been able to resist buying it!

I love the outfits you created with this dress Jean!
    The yellow blazer you used really complements the the vibrancy of the dress but the nude heels and belt definitely tone things down a little. This outfit would be absolutely perfect for a formal occasion (like work) during the spring or summer. I'm sure it would also be a nice change from the usual boring pantsuits and whatnot found in offices 🙂

As for that outfit you created for parties, I am in awe.
    Those highlighter yellow heels are amazing. I must have them! They look so funky and happy next to the dress. Everything about your outfit makes me want to jump up and dance like a lunatic but I shall spare my poor felow humans of that awful sight. Hahahaha.

All in all, I must say that this dress definitely works for you.
    You made two amazing outfits out of it that I definitely need to draw inspiration/learn from.

You are too amazing Jean.

P.S. Hold up. That dress has pockets?
    Okay then. Time to go hunt it down….

• Michele July 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Love those neon heels! What's your nail polish called?

• Dianna, The Budget Babe July 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Um. Gorgeous!!!

• Kat July 25, 2012 at 5:56 pm

This is a great post. I'm actually looking for something to wear both to work… and of course… to a wedding 🙂 Saw this outfit on you on Instagram! Loved it then too!

• Princess Martha July 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Those shoes are the perfect choice!!!