• Spring: Mint dress, neutrals + cap toe pumps

handmmint2

H&M; dress, belt & clutch, Gap blouse, CL Pigalle 85 pumps (similar for less)

Boston weather teased me last week, allowing for 2 days of bare legs before freezing cold took over again. I jumped at the chance to break out this dress that I painstakingly altered + hemmed over a month ago. The fresh mint went perfectly with my latest loves – blush pink & cream cap-toed Louboutins scored at a great price (pre-owned via eBay).
    handmmint6
    Blair of Atlantic-Pacific styled this same dress beautifully with an elegant mint tweed jacket and multi-strand pearls. Inspired, I delved into my growing tweed collection and came up with the following…
    handmmint7This example illustrates something that I’ve become very aware of over the years: proportions. As a petite woman working with under 5 feet of height, the key to looking streamlined versus stumpy often lies in the proportions and lengths of my garments…

Although I prefer the color/texture combo on the right, the hip-length jacket paired over a longer pencil dress makes me look top-heavy and short-legged (and much worse with flat shoes, which Blair pulled off effortlessly). The jacket on the left is only 2″ shorter, but that makes quite a difference if you are petite. The longer jacket on the right also hits my hips at the widest point, so when that line joins with the dress, it effectively creates the illusion of a boxy rectangle versus the hourglass figure that I want.
    handmmint8

Left: No 5. jacket in white sz S (review)   Right: Malang jacket sz S (review), both c/o Uniqueen

I also want to point out that the pairing on the left shows equal proportions of jacket, skirt, and legs, whereas the one on the right shows more jacket. This adds to the top-heaviness and makes me look broader, even though both jackets have the same shoulder width. An exception to this issue is when more leg is shown to counteract the longer top – ie. a long boyfriend blazer paired with a mini skirt and lotsa leg.
    handmmint4
    I’ve never tried a button-up shirt under a fitted pencil dress, but was inspired by my friend Ping in this post. The crisp collar and contrasting sleeves add a new dimension to the dress, but shirt lines underneath can get tricky. This probably works better with thin, sleeveless blouses.
    handmmint5
    While wearing this dress, I realized I needed to get some good shapewear, stat. I’ve been noticing strange lumps lately caused by un-toned flesh or ill-placed underwear lines, and also from the aforementioned shirt lines. I’m close to getting the Spanx Half-Slip Shaper, but am also curious about the Seamless Mid-Thigh Shaper from their less-expensive line, Assets by Sara Blakely (incredible, incredible businesswoman, by the way). From reading the descriptions, however, it seems that these pieces are more for slimming and not for concealing. If anyone has shapewear reviews or recommendations – please share!
    handmmint

Readers – Have you delved into mint and/or cap toes this spring?

90 thoughts on “Spring: Mint dress, neutrals + cap toe pumps

• Natasha Fatah April 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm

It looks absolutely beautiful on you!
      You're looking minty fresh kid! πŸ™‚
      xoxo

• .Tinacious Me. April 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

you look so stunning! love the mint dress!
      xo, Tina

• Dietingfashions April 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I am loving the mint color on everything from jeans to shirts to nail polishes! I have not tried cap toe shoes. I'm actually thinking of DIY cap toes for some old shoes that I have.

Great outfit by the way. I like how the NO 5 jacket looks better.

Helen

• Anonymous April 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I have the seamless mid-thigh shaper and though this may sound strange, I have to say that they smell kind of odd after a full day of wearing. The material just gets this weird smell to it if you sweat at all and though friends promised they couldn't smell it, I felt self conscious. I obviously washed before wearing and every time I dared to wear them and it was truly no good. They do conceal though, so if you're just wearing them for a couple hours in winter, it should be fine!

• Anonymous April 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I do like the color and texture of the right dress better, but I definitely felt like the left one looked better. I'm so glad you went on to say what it was that made it feel that way, because I couldn't put my finger on it. I'll definitely have to make a point to look for that with my own outfits now.

• Anonymous April 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm

You look gorgeous as always Jean!!! love love mint!!

• The Little Dust Princess April 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I love the layering! Mint is such a pretty colour on you. : )

• Jackie April 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm

This looks so good on you! You are always so good at pairing colors.

I agree, the white blazer looks better, it lengthens the bottom half of you.

I'm not into to either one of these trends this year. I generally stay away from pastels and I'm not loving the cap toes as much as the classics when it comes to pumps.

• Olyvia April 1, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I love it when you give proportion advice! I'm still struggling on finding jackets that doesn't make me look more dumpy and stumpy. That is crazy how only a few inches make a big difference. I feel like I need to re-do my whole wardrobe. I'm definitely into mint this season, especially mint in jewelry or nail polish πŸ™‚ And still searching for the perfect cap-toe for me!

• Jackie April 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm

This looks so good on you! You are always so good at pairing colors.

I agree, the white blazer looks better, it lengthens the bottom half of you.

• Riani Irawan April 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I have the same idea too about the proportion. That's why I bought the No.5 tweed jacket instead the Malang.But they both worth the money.

victoireannie.com

• Genie April 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I've always loved pastels, especially the lighter hues of purple. But I love the way this minty green shade stands out against your skin tone, I find it to be very flattering. I also really like how the white blazer looks against the minty green, as well as how much more fitted it looks compared to the Malang jacket.

xoxo,
      Genie

• Ali April 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love the mint trend this year especially since it's always been one of my favorite colors. I bought mint, ankle-zip crop jeans from J Crew this weekend (at least they were cropped on my non-petite 5'6'' 100lb frame). You look great and I love the dress and the left look! Lusting over your shoes too.

• grace April 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Gorgeous Jean =) That mint is a beautiful color on you… and after all those hard changes (I'm still not brave enough to do any alterations).

After all these posts with all these beautiful bright colors, you might have inspired me to add a bit more color to my wardrobe!

I may cave and get a No.5 tweed jacket as well πŸ˜‰

• Anonymous April 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm

hi jean!
      love this post! i an considering the No.5 jacket but I was wondering if you think it would be too cropped on someone 5'4"? I measured some of my blazers and your length measurement falls about an inch shorter than my shortest blazer. I'm unsure if it would look too cropped on me, i appreciate your input!
      thanks, vivian

• Anonymous April 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm

delurking to say that I've been meaning to try a white button down under a sheath for a while, specifically one that was featured on the jcrew site, kinda like the current memo dress. (the button down was cuffed at elbow length)
      g

• 7eventh Letter April 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Really like your streamlined take on the mint trend. I am trying to find me at least one substantial piece….still looking.

7eventh Letter

• Ky April 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Great color combination! Your outfit is very classy and fun for spring.

• siLvia April 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Love the shoes and the outfit together!

• easy petite looks April 1, 2012 at 9:32 pm

wow, the difference of 2" in those jackets is crazy!! i was just putting a post together with mint!! and i remember when you said you got those shoes, nice find!

• petiterealized April 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm

love your outfit and new CL score!! The malang is much too shaggy for my liking. Wholeheartedly agree the no. 5 is a cleaner, better fit. πŸ™‚

• Bettina April 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Fantastic eBay score! And, I agree with you def the look on the left. The few inches really makes a difference when you don't have that many inches to work with to begin with πŸ™‚ I always find myself having to say no to items that don't sit right in proportion to my torso if I know I won't take the extra steps to get them altered.

• sunash29 April 1, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Great outfit and as usual you look stunning.

Mint – absolutely!! got a few pieces for this summer.
      Thinking about Cap toe shoes (heels or flats) – they seem to be everywhere!

i have been following your blog for the last 3-4 months and have been inspired by so many of your pairings! Keep up the great work!

• Anonymous April 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Those shoes are gorgeous, they make you look so polished.

• Petite and Hungry April 1, 2012 at 9:54 pm

amazing outfit! i love the mint green color!

• Ashley Haworth April 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm

What an amazing outfit! The mint color is so great because it looks good on everyone and looks great on shoes, clothing, nails and jewelry. I love how you paired the dress with the blouse underneath and that fantastic belt!
      Ashley

• Carrie April 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm

this dress is perfect for you!!! it's sleek and it hugs your body beautifully. i also like cap-toed shoes. especially flats. they're something different from your ordinary slip-ons.

Shoetopia Giveaway — 3 winners. Come and join! πŸ˜€
      10% off discount code to Vantage Point Vintage

πŸ™‚
      Carrie

• phiphis blog April 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm

i am loving the mint colour – really a breath of fresh air (pun intended!) i love this entire outfit!

• thehautecookie April 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm

obsessed with mint to, it's not just you! I love both blazers in each photo! yes, elongated legs, but love the texture in photo #2. You look beautiful my love. xO

• vanillachai April 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Hey! The mint dress looks so clean on you with the outfit combos you put together! Any resemblance to a surgical gown has been totally eliminated thanks to your alterations that turned out so well. I just wanted to let you know that your blog has been the main resource for me while I am transitioning into the professional world with increasing instances where I have to look polished– like for an interview at Harvard Medical. Your posts have been so informative to those of us who are petite and have been poking around in the dark over the matter of fit. While I'm about your height, I carry about 4.5kg more than you in the legs and hips. Another point that I enjoy is that being able to relate to someone else who has roots in Boston/ Canton.

• Ping April 1, 2012 at 11:21 pm

love this outfit, jean! i saw that dress in store on a hanger and didn't think much of it until you wore it. i wished it came altered like that. btw i am in love with that belt and i have seen you wear a couple of times. i'm thinking it's from h&m; too? i been looking for it but no luck.

• Julie Khuu April 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Minty fresh honey! That belt is the perfect finishing touch to this classy ensemble…so chic!

• Trixie Firecracker April 1, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I really love what you've done with that dress, that DIY is so genius and it's so cute. The jacket on the left definitely matches the dress better and makes it look put together. I think the jacket on the left would pair better with skinny jans and your red CL heels. Oh btw, how many pairs of Louboutins do you have? I'm so jealous, your collection is so sweet.

Dude your blog is so helpful and inspirational! As a petite Asian girl too, I have issues finding clothes that fit, but since I'm a (grad) student, my clothes are casual, and it'll be a few years before I have to dress professionally. Your blog has taught my so much about professional dressing that is pretty! I thought I was confined to a life of boring slacks with basic button downs!

Re: spanx and such: I bought a pair when I had a coupon, and I find them really uncomfortable to get into/out of (mine's a different style though). They'll smooth things out, but I'm not sure what exactly you might be looking for. If the problem appears just to be underwear lines, I suggest ultra seamless panties like such:

• Joanna Le April 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Wow, those shoes are absolutely stunning! I agree with you about the white jacket. It definitely hits your waist at the right spot, and does more for your body than the jacket on the right.

• Anonymous April 2, 2012 at 12:21 am

I got the no 5 jacket & as expected the sleeves are too long for me. I was wondering where I should hem the sleeves to and where they should land? Thanks for your help!

• Tam April 2, 2012 at 1:18 am

You look gorgeous, as always, Jean! I agree that a more form-fitting, shorter jacket is much more flattering on us petites. This is why I often put together separates for workwear instead of traditional suits–much easier to find separate pieces that fit well instead of spending a bunch of money altering both pieces of a suit.

I've picked up a mint shell and light scarf this spring as well as some cap-toed flats. Excited to wear them now that the weather is warm!

• Suzie Q April 2, 2012 at 1:20 am

I love mint and cap toe shoes this season. I love how you layered the collared shirt underneath the dress. Your shoes are amazing! Great insight with the two different blazers paired with the dress. Although the No 5 blazer fits your frame better, I love how that Malang jacket looks paired with the mint dress.

xoxo,
      Suzie Q
      Style Cue by Suzie Q

• newpetite April 2, 2012 at 2:06 am

Love the dress on you! Have you tried boy shorts? They kinda help in avoiding the panty lines and give the clean and neat look!

• KT of KTRstyle.com April 2, 2012 at 3:04 am

Aww Jean you look so lovely and the dress looks so good on you! I tried this on but it didn't look good on me. I think the problem lies in the roominess under the armpits. You did a great DIY job by the way! πŸ™‚

• Jen E. @CasualChicMom April 2, 2012 at 3:38 am

I love the mint+blush combo! Thanks for continually educating us on fit and proportion. Sometimes it's easy to throw things together without stepping back to asses proportions. I have thigh shapers form Spanx and from the ASSETS line. The Spanx is smooth, soft, and silky; while the ASSETS is scratchy. If you can find Spanx on sample sale they are a good deal! I tried on this full slip from Target and loved it except for the bust area – the straight line across was bothering me, but you should give it a try, esp fro ~$16 – http://www.target.com/p/Vassarette-Womens-Body-Curves-Full-Slip-Smooth-Chemise-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13788541 (link goes to the "curves" version, but the in-store one is not).