• DIY Dolman Sleeve Dress Transformation

Thank you all for your honest opinions on my last post. I liked both H&M; dresses but wasn’t in love with either. Your comments confirmed the features that were bugging me, and I didn’t want to keep something that wasn’t perfect! I ended up parting with the emerald (already have other items in that exact color), and taking matters into my own hands with the mint:

Drawing a pattern based on my bust and shoulder measurements:
    mintdress

Chop chop!
    mintdress1

“Click to Read More” to see how this turned out!

Voila! Strange kimono/dolman sleeve turned classic sleeve. I am now completely in love with this dress.mintdress2

Creating a “pattern” for the armholes and sleeves was unfortunately not easy. It took about 3 attempts to get right (with numerous photos from the side and back to identify fit issues). The ideal way to make good patterns is to cut apart a top that already fits well and to trace the pieces, but who has nice-fitting tops just lying around for dissecting?

For anyone who is interested in making this dress sleeveless, this is how it looked before I attached the sleeves. I thought it looked nice sleeveless, but because the dress is so slim and almost rectangular, I like the balance that sleeves add. With sleeves, I can also wear this dress to work and not worry about an additional layer.

mintdress3

Lastly, the author of PAB expressed interest in writing some guest posts during my blogging slowdown. If you have any questions for him or topics on which you’d be interested in hearing a male perspective, please leave us a comment below!

93 thoughts on “DIY Dolman Sleeve Dress Transformation

• BooBooNinja February 15, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Your "new" dress looks fabulous!

• Susan February 16, 2012 at 12:03 am

The dress looks so much better now, amazing what a difference that a proper fit makes!

For future PAB posts, I would be interested in reading more styling tips for men and good sale deals. 🙂 There's only so many plaid BR/JCrew/Gap shirts that I can buy for my husband. Since I'm the one styling his outfits, I'd like some cost-effective tips!

• With Each Passing Day February 16, 2012 at 12:04 am

Great job on the alternation! The dress looks fabulous with the new sleeves.

• Ping February 16, 2012 at 12:16 am

jean– you did a great job! no botching here
      looks much better with those slim sleeves….will you do one for me 😉

• Nng02 February 16, 2012 at 12:18 am

Alterations look amazing! Any recommedations on sewing machines?

• myhanh February 16, 2012 at 12:18 am

Great tailoring job, Jean! Good luck with your studies!

Ideas for PAB: How to "kill time"/entertain yourself during early morning Target runs, long H&M; fitting rooms, etc.;
      Crock Pot recipes for Winter and Spring; or tips on how to scout good photo locations?

I liked the spirit of the first post even if it was for April Fools Day! Can't wait! Thanks, Nick.

• Tam February 16, 2012 at 12:24 am

You did such a great DIY job on this dress–what a difference a proper sleeve makes! It looks so classic and lovely on you. I had been thinking you should keep the emerald dress, but this one is definitely my favorite now. I am feeling inspired; I really need to break out my sewing machine and start doing some of my own alterations here soon.

• Anonymous February 16, 2012 at 12:35 am

Your altered dress is amazing!

Your PAB is so adorable, too, for wanting to help you…or we could also have a closet exhibitionist at hand! Look forward to anything he wants to write about, but if he wants some suggestions:

1) his favorite looks on you, and if he can be diplomatic, his least favorite looks
      2) what trends/styles you have never tried before that he would want you to try
      3) his top Spring/Summer 2012 picks (for the general population and also specifically for you)
      4) and since Fashion Week is going on, his top Fall/Winter 2012 picks (for the general population and also specifically for you)

• Anonymous February 16, 2012 at 12:36 am

the altered dress looks great! you are so skilled.

i'd love if PAB did a cooking post!

• Mary Ann February 16, 2012 at 12:44 am

You did the sleeves yourself? I'm impressed….sleeve installation is definitely not on the list of easy DIYs! 🙂

• Sophia February 16, 2012 at 1:06 am

I can't wait for the PAB posts! His previous ones were sooooo funny 😀 I enjoyed the sarcasm about girls' shopping habits.

And the dress looks great by the way.

• Annie February 16, 2012 at 1:07 am

Wow, it looks like you don't even need a tailor – your self-alterations are amazing and professional!

• Katherine February 16, 2012 at 1:09 am

Wow you did such an amazing job! Love it , you make it all seem so easy 🙂 I love the existing posts that PAB did, maybe he can share with us the women's fashions that he loves vs. hates? I want to hear his take on harem pants and rompers!

• Pretty Gossip February 16, 2012 at 1:13 am

That looks AMAZING! Great job. xoxo

• Karen (littlepiecefnb) February 16, 2012 at 1:46 am

Omg you did such an incredible job on the sleeves…what a transformation! Looks so much better now! Also, all of my local H&M; stores are completely out of the small sizes of that blouse…I really liked it too!

• Michelle February 16, 2012 at 1:47 am

Dang! Great job with those alterations!! Glad you got the color and fit you wanted!

I like anon's suggestion of Nick doing a "favorite looks on you….his least favorite looks" post.

• ღ Caroline♔ February 16, 2012 at 1:47 am

Where did you learn how to sew so amazingly like that?! Your DIY tailoring was executed flawlessly–you should make a video the next time you do alterations on a piece. Just a suggestion 😉

As always, I adore you, Jean!
      <3 caroline

• Lloyd Lim February 16, 2012 at 2:00 am

Wow. I do like the altered version. It fits you much better and I think the shoulder to arm line is beautiful. Amazing work. (I would re-position my response to your earlier post: pick whichever and alter!)

– Lloyd

StyleHills.com/limlloyd

• Canadianpetite February 16, 2012 at 2:01 am

Umm…have you ever taken a sewing class? Do you think I could sew as well as you if I took a one-day seminar? Geez, you made that dress look so good Jean!

• Rachel February 16, 2012 at 2:09 am

I just purchased the white blouse few days ago ! it's definitely a great deal, love the gold button accents 🙂

• Liz February 16, 2012 at 2:43 am

That's fantastic. That dolman look was a hot, trendy mess but this is completely chic and classic!

• Diana February 16, 2012 at 3:07 am

What a great transformation. Go you! love the DIY.
      It's true…that dolman-ish thing was not doing you favors. But the color was too divine to let go. So happy you worked your magic on this dress because it's definitely worth it. Very 50s chic 🙂
      and thank you for the H&M; coupon you linked the other day. got me some leggings that I'd been eyeing. Ugh…I might have to go back and get that cream-colored blouse!

xoxo

• Diana February 16, 2012 at 3:11 am

For PAB: love to gain some insights on how a stylish guy's dressing routine goes. And what are men's staple wardrobe pieces?

• Fashionable Memories February 16, 2012 at 4:24 am

You are very talented!!!! I love the new look!!!

• Anonymous February 16, 2012 at 4:29 am

Wow, that dress is amazing on you! I can't believe you altered the sleeves yourself! Where did you learn to sew like that? I can hem pants, but that's it….

• SewPetiteGal February 16, 2012 at 4:43 am

Wow, great job!! I'm glad you kept the sleeves. It looks great sleeveless but it also looks more average that way. The sleeves are what give it character. 🙂

As for PAB posts, I'd love to hear about any photography tips! I cannot for the life of me get a good photo straight out of the camera. My whites are either blue or yellow and then I have to color-correct.

• Miriam February 16, 2012 at 4:57 am

I love the dress after the alteration and the new sleeves make you look taller in the dress. Amazing job!

• Missy February 16, 2012 at 5:18 am

i loved the new dress!! fits you like a glove

• hannah love February 16, 2012 at 6:02 am

WOOOOOW
      the after picture is AMAZING! i'm so impressed. beautiful 🙂 🙂

• Shy February 16, 2012 at 6:36 am

I'll echo the others with a "wow!" on the sleeves.
      For PAG post I did Love the humor of his previous posts; more please. (I like the previous poster's suggestion about how to spend time while waiting on a shop-a-holic)
      Yet I'd also like some men's clothing suggestions.
      My hubby lives in jeans & then has suits for special occasions. Nothing in between.
      I'd love a list of men's basics as well. Dressy/casual would be great.
      Maybe some reviews of versatile items for regular guys (not the fashionista-men) lol
      Shy

• pandaaa February 16, 2012 at 7:45 am

i'm hunting down those chiffon-like blouses! thanks for the info!!

• PetiteLittleGirl February 16, 2012 at 8:06 am

I am seriously impressed with your DIY. The dress is now perfect! I absolutely love it. Are you thinking of hemming up the dress to above-knee or keeping the length as is? I forgot to mention on Twitter that the orange blouse might be big for you since a size 2 fits me perfectly. As for PAB posts, I would be interested in photography tips and recipes =)

• Terapia de Meninas February 16, 2012 at 8:07 am

Olá!!! Eu visto tamanho pequeno também, aqui no Brasil meu nº é 36 mas mesmo assim é muito difícil achar algo que fique certinho, sempre preciso fazer alguns ajustes, o problema é que muitas vezes eu não tenho tempo e com isso a roupa fica parada por tempos. Isso muitas vezes me desanima muito de levar alguma peça que eu tenha gostado, que é uma pena!!! Bjs!!!

• Anonymous February 16, 2012 at 8:45 am

Absolutely fantastic job on the alterations!! It seemed a perfect fit after.
      Ada

• Elle February 16, 2012 at 8:46 am

Holy moly!!!!!! Jean you have outdone yourself with this DIY…uh, want to alter one for me (I kid I kid)?

As for what PAB could write about…maybe share some recipes as he seems like an avid cook? Or photo tips for fellow photographers?

Back to drooling over your newly altered dress!

• Kira February 16, 2012 at 9:10 am

Great job! Love the dress now on you!

• drippinjewels February 16, 2012 at 9:43 am

any tips on how to alter sleeves of Denim jackets!! I always get ones that fit well on shoulder n bust…but has long sleeves…that is even difficult to fold due to the nature of thick denim. I really hope you could answer me someday…

• Jen February 16, 2012 at 9:52 am

PAB guest blogs would be great! My boyfriend never shops for himself, so I always go out and purchase things for him. I'm getting a bit tired of the JCrew sweaters and button-downs. Or, some fresh suit/tie/shirt combos would be great!

• Annabelle February 16, 2012 at 9:57 am

So much better! I continue to be amazed by your tailoring skills.

• Gracie February 16, 2012 at 10:00 am

The after looks fabulous! Just some food for thought, have you considered making the sleeves a tad shorter? With so much sleeves fabric, they make your shoulders look a smidge wider.