• Style in a Suitcase, Part 1 – Gingham and Lace

packing
    For the past ten days, I spent some time on both coasts living out of a suitcase. As temperatures varied from 30 to nearly 80 degrees, I had to pack wisely (lots of layers!). I also had to plan for a variety of occasions. I ended up bringing (from left to right)…

3 jackets: Black Theory blazer, Uniqueen tweed jacket, Gap cardigan jacket
    4 pairs of shoes: Calvin Klein leopards, Adrienne Vittadini booties, CL pumps, ebay (no brand) boots
    2 pairs of pants: Seven for all Mankind olive jeans, plus purchased Old Navy ones in Russet Brown
    3 skirts: Ann Taylor olive lace pencil skirt, camel wool mini, vintage herringbone mini
    2 clutches/crossbody bags: H&M; brown bag and Chanel WOC
    7 tops: Gap nudes & gingham, Target chambray, H&M; ivory shell, crewcuts sweater, AT leopard cardi

I tried to take photos each day to share with you guys some easy, packing-friendly outfits. The above was more than enough and probably could’ve lasted me for a month : ) First up is this dressier ensemble which I’ve already worn to work. Both shirt and skirt travel nicely – the gingham material never wrinkles on me, and you can just roll up soft lace skirts when packing.
    ginghamlace1

Shirt: Gap Boys Gingham sz S (6-7)   (J.Crew petite version)   (Gap womens version)
    Earrings: Talbots    Clutch: Chanel WOC    Belt: BR Factory
    Lace Skirt: Ann Taylor (old)  Tights: H&M;   Pumps: CL Decolettes

I balanced out the boxy, boyishness of the gingham shirt with a more feminine lace bottom. Without any slimming, the shirt is still a bit poofy from the back when tucked in, so I like to conceal that at work by layering a blazer on top. Continue reading for some fit photos of the gingham shirt…

This is what the Gap boys shirt looks like in it’s natural form, untucked and with sleeves uncuffed. As you can see, it is very short and boxy, and the sleeves hit my arms at 3/4 length. After all, it was designed for boys aged 6-7.  When styled, it looks much better. I’m not recommending it as a good fit (sz S will not work on anyone taller than 5 feet), but a true, crisp gingham is hard to find, so I’m happy with this one. Measurements of a Boys sz S: 14″ across shoulders, 17″ across armpits, 22.5″ length, 16″ sleeve length, and 3.75″ across the sleeve opening.

gingham3

I know a children’s S sounds horrifically small, but this shirt runs big for kids sizing. While in San Diego, the fun and charismatic Kelly of Alterations Needed showed me her J.Crew boys secret wash shirt in classic gingham (similar in addison gingham), boys size 10. I liked it so much on her I got one for myself (was ~$23, see on me). As you can see below, the Gap S/6-7 is exactly the same as the J.Crew boys sz 10 in the shoulders and torso width. The J.Crew one is marginally longer in total length, but the sleeves are several inches longer.
    ginghamlace4

The material of the J.Crew one has a vintage worn feel w/ tiny check. The Gap one is more crisp w/ large check. Check out Kelly’s post for an informative gingham review.

ginghamlace

ginghamlace2
    These pebbled leather pumps are a much-loved gift (although in my honest opinion, my Ann Taylor perfect pumps are more comfortable for prolonged wear). I love having a “caviar” leather accessory set now.
    ginghamlace3

Readers – I’ve closed further commenting on this post. As always, thank you to those who shared thoughts and opinions in a respectful manner. I’ll try to respond to your questions soon!

76 thoughts on “Style in a Suitcase, Part 1 – Gingham and Lace

• dietingfashions January 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Yes, I caved and bought a J. Crew Factory Women's Gingham shirt with large check.

I might go online and get a Gap boys gingham just to see how it is on me.

• Shannon January 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm

The outfit is a great idea, I have the J. Crew boys purple/white Gingham shirt in the bigger checked pattern. This is another idea. I am also very petite and your blog is awesome. Have you ever checked out the Canadian brand Aritzia? I don't think they have a store in Boston yet, but the do have on in New York. It has great coats and blazers for petites. I've never has to alter anything that I have bought from them yet.

• Lynn January 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm

So helpful! About to do 10 days in Chicago and LA, coming from Philly so this is really relevant.

• SewPetiteGal January 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

A big resounding YES to your question (although I think Cee was more influential on my gingham purchase than J. Crew).

My gingham shirts (one from J. Crew and one from H&M;) are both from the boys' section. My one pet peeve about them is how roomy the sleeves are compared to women's oxfords. How do you feel about them? I tried pegging them like I did with my pants when I was a kid but that didn't work LOL.

• Alterations Needed January 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Thanks for the measurements of the size S! If anyone is interested in the measurements for the size M(8), I popped into a Gap kids with my trusty measuring tape over the holiday break: shoulder=15", torso=17.5", length=24", sleeve=18".

• Alexandra January 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I like that gingham shirt for casual wear. I just picked up a gorgeous one in brown/rust/cream from Old navy in XS regular and it fits very nicely. Too bad it doesn't show up online. Their camper shirts in XS regular fit great too albeit a bit see-through.

However that gingham shirt and the lace skirt do not belong together. They just don't click. It's too much of a clash between blue collar on top and aristocratic on the bottom.

• Cher January 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I gave into the gingham myself. I've been dying for a white/black gingham. Although, TBH I'm not crazy about the fit of the one you're wearing on your body. It's a bit too boxy–too wide in the arms and in the waist (but the shoulders look fine)–the silhouette it gives when tucked in could be a lot better.

• Jacki January 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I always look forward to posts like this with travel wardrobe ideas. Can't wait to see what else you put together!

• Alterations Needed January 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I just realized you bought the J.Crew Classic Gingham shirt and not the Jenson Gingham. I thought the checks on the Classic Gingham looked a bit small compared to the Jenson, which is the one I picked up instead. Might want to look into that one as well. =)

• Girlie Blogger January 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Wow. 30 to 80 degrees. That's a wide range to dress up. Cute shirt. Super nice way to pair it with that lace skirt.

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Jean, as much as I enjoy your Twitter previews, it seems that someone uses them to "beat" you to post.

• lin January 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm

cute outfit. it's great that you're thinking outside the box. i really like how you pair a variety of things together (i.e. colors, textures, different fabrics). ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

This actually work because one of the print is really small (i.e the lace) and the shirt is crisp. cough cough there are other blogs copying you but you actually made it work look professional and classy.

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Even after the post with all the drama, it looks as if Copycat is still on a roll.

• R.L. January 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Jean, I love these travel organization posts! Keep 'em coming ๐Ÿ™‚ The GAP shirt looks great with the lace and your new CLs. I got the same shirt after you posted about it because I just think that the medium gingham looks more attractive than J Crew's smaller squares. The Ambercrombie girls shirt that Vicky tweeted about fits me slimmer/better. The moose is in a less noticeable navy blue so I may add that to my growing gingham collection when it goes on deep sale.

• R.L. January 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm

P.S. I ordered the GAP women's gingham shirt in XS pink and it runs long and large. It has some nice piping detail on the sleeves but overall the material is see-throughish and not as crisp as the boy's shirt.

• DSK Steph January 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Happy New Year Jean! My cousins are hooked on your blog! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Cindy January 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Hi Jean! LOVE your blog-I only just started following late last year. You have a great sense of style and I really enjoy seeing how you put pieces together. Can't wait to see the other outfits you created with what you have there. I'm curious about your suitcase. Is it a carry-on? And what brand is it? I'm impressed you could fit all that in there!

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm

It is obvious somebody is copying from the pictures you posted on Twitter..

• easy petite looks January 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm

i caved this past summer with the gingham from jcrew. i'm another fan of how cee wears hers. it can be so versatile!

• JessicaW January 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I know you don't like talking about other bloggers but the copycat thing is ridiculous. You totally pull off the look so it's obvious that these are your ORIGINAL ideas. Kudos to you for maintaining professionalism… and for giving us all fresh/stylish ideas. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) January 1, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Ah that shirt looks great on you! I am soooo impressed by how little you manage to pack all the time! I need to take some lessons from you ๐Ÿ˜› Hope you had a very happy holidays and I hope 2012 brings you even more happiness and success, you deserve it ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jackie January 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm

This is a great idea for a series! I can't wait to see the rest. I plan on traveling this year to see my family since I moved far away from them so I can use the tips =D

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I'm sorry YOUR blog always has to be the site of such drama, since you don't moderate comments (unlike certain others). Just wanted to let you know that your attention to detail (crispness of shirt, size of prints, accessories) really separates you from any potential imitators.

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Jean, can you please do a youtube video on what/how you pack?

• Anna January 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I love your blog and have been following for awhile now. It saddens me that your creativity and effort is so blatantly ripped off by another blogger. I know that there has been drama over this issue before, and I am frustrated that it's starting all over again. I can only imagine how you feel when your hard work and dedication to this blog and finding your own individual style is utilized by Annie for her own gains–as I realize blogging can be a source of income and gifts from companies.

You have been so classy throughout all of this, even though it must be quite discouraging to see your work being copied so flagrantly and disrespectfully. Keep your head up and just know that your readers support you and appreciate all the work you put into your blog and realize an imposter when they see one!

• Ping January 1, 2012 at 11:02 pm

jean– i like this gingham better than the other one that comes in many colors. it's more crisp and less causal.

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I can't believe this women on women bashing. The other blogger always takes her photos ahead of time and her post came like an hour after this one, so how in the world could she have been copying? Jean, I love your blog, but it does NOT make you look good to encourage bashing of another blogger who did nothing wrong.

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Jean, I love your blog and take much style inspiration from you (I am a relatively new reader…about 5-6 months now). However, I must say that this gingham outfit with the lace skirt is a rather odd combination. I don't like how busy the two look together. The gingham on top looks like it belongs with jeans, or if you want to make it look more professional, with a solid colored skirt. The lace just does not go at all. Separately, I like the pieces though. And, I too noticed the other blog copying your post. Shame.

• Ana Ponick January 1, 2012 at 11:18 pm

so perfect!

;*

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 11:19 pm

@ Anonymous (the one above the one above me)

I dont think she's encouraging the bashing of another blogger….

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Yeah: to anonymous– she's not encouraging it at all. And maybe you don't look at the twitter feeds, but Jean posted a preview of this outfit more than a week or so ago.

• Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 11:31 pm

@ Anonymous 11:15 pm–Jean doesn't encourage the bashing of another blogger. Her comments aren't moderated, unlike that other blogger. And anonymous–your post makes it seem very likely that you are that other blogger who copies Jean's wardrobe. And in response–Jean actually posted that very outfit on her twitter on Dec 28th… and tweeted those HM gingham shirts awhile back… Given that the other blogger states that she is very bad at mixing and matching prints and "remixing her wardrobe," it's very suspicious she would think to wear a gingham top with a lace pencil skirt and post about it the very same time that Jean did…

• May January 1, 2012 at 11:33 pm

@ anon at 11:14pm

jean isn't encouraging the bashing of another blogger and she never has. we just want to express our views and feelings, that's all.

this other blogger just took her pictures today. she even stated that herself in her comments. jean took pictures a few days ago of her outfit so many people have seen it, and i'm sure this other blogger has too. that's why some people are saying that this other blogger is copying her style.

• With Each Passing Day January 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I love the look of the gingham and lace. I'm very impressed by how little you packed and manage to look fabulous.Everytime I travel I feel like I'm packing a month worth of clothes. I need to take lesson from you.

• Simply x Classic January 1, 2012 at 11:36 pm

must be great being able to wear kids clothes!!! =)

• Lucia H. January 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm

The positive content of this post (and all others) goes without saying, but what popped out to me was your green apple Clinique makeup bag! Did you get yours from your mother, as I did? Asian moms seem to have a huge thing for Clinique gift sets.

And I know a lot of your fans are "rallying behind you", but I most of all commend your calm and professional response to all the drama. I'm sure it's hard to be diplomatic and regulate your own feelings (whatever they may be), but you do it with grace, class, and beauty — as you do with all other things!

• *supercoolR January 1, 2012 at 11:54 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• vivian January 2, 2012 at 12:11 am

hi jean,

what color is your lipstick? it's gorgeous!

thanks!

• Olivia January 2, 2012 at 12:41 am

Thanks for another great post! And I second one of the other commenters about a packing demonstration video – how did you fit everything into your suitcase?? Also, will you be showing all the outfits you put together from what you packed? 30-80 degrees – you are amazing!